New-Release Movies - Spoilers Within (Currently: Doctor Strange)

Started by TheGlyphstone, May 08, 2016, 05:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

People who see new movies want to be able to chat about them with other people who've seen them. But doing it in Shoutbox or other public places means spoilers will ruin the movies for people who have let to see them, and sometimes the [Spoiler} tags aren't enough.

So here's a thread to solve that problem. We can chat about favorite scenes and lines and plot points from whatever movie is new and shiny. This is your final warning, Spoilers Abound in this thread.

Ravenhawk

ok... first up, since this was the movie being very obliquely referred to in the chat, is Captain  America: Civil War

and the most memorable thing for me that was not hinted at in any trailer I saw was how they chose to show how young Spidey was to the rest of team IronMan when he called The Empire Strikes back as an old movie before he started wrapping AntMan's legs up. (Which was also a blatant tell that Marvel is now linked to LucasArts through Disney)

Far eyes

So near the end of the movie in the final battle between Iron Man and Cap i found it interesting that Iron Man pulled up his hands afraid that Cap would run the shield trough his head, and cap slams it into the power source. But Cap looked like he was in shock, like maybe for half a second there it was close
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

TheGlyphstone

I loved the bit when Spidey calls out Cap's shield in the airport as 'not obeying any of the laws of physics'. Nice little lampshade there.

TheGlyphstone

Possible wild-ass theory to chew over:

Did Vision throw the fight at the airport? He's nominally on the Team Tony, but he's also got that weird crush on Scarlet Witch it seems, putting his emotional half in conflict with his logical half. And in the hospital, when Tony says 'i didn't think your laser beam could miss', and Vision answers 'I didn't think so either' - was he saying that because he didn't miss? Did he deliberately shoot Warmachine down, knowing Falcon and Iron Man would both break off pursuit to save their friend only to miscalculate the relative falling speeds and cause 'catastrophe' by crippling Rhodes?

Ravenhawk

remember that that diamond in his forehead is one of those infinity stones, and also some sort of quantum super computer with it's own, possibly sentient, programming.... who knows what it's goal is.

Far eyes

I do not think he threw the fight but at the same time i think he would be extremely unwilling to harm one of them, and he ended up accidentally doing that  witch he was taking obviously hard.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Ravenhawk

I like how it ends with essentially two teams, both with high tech and wealthy backing

Which reminds me... since Capt left his shield behind, what will be his signature weapon in the future?

Far eyes

Well considering who Black Panther is i do not think a shield will be a problem

A/A

Ravenhawk

Far eyes

Hmm i never considered that, i mean it might be. Maybe somebody knows if it ever came up in a story line in the comics who is more of a comic reader then me.

A/A

Ravenhawk

Mathim

I gotta say, I really didn't like Spidey in this. So happy Tony called one of his guesses as what Peter called himself "Spider-Boy". I'm like, "Okay, so I'm not the only one." But the very idea that he'd recruit someone so young for this is unconscionable (not the only thing I hated Tony for in this) and Peter acting so awkward and uncomfortable even after becoming his alter ego just really cemented (I know, just for me, I don't expect anyone to agree) that their decision to make him a teenager was the worst one they could have possibly made.

I really, really liked the whole Zemo angle. It really kept you guessing all the way up to the end what exactly was going on with him, and then it just suddenly made total sense. I can't even hate him for it, that took some serious brains (we're talking Joker from the Dark Knight level scheming) to pull the wool over everyone's eyes. But the plan obviously didn't just fail, everyone is all the stronger for it (except, regrettably, Rhodey). Black Panther learned a serious lesson about anger and vengeance, and became a stronger ally of the Avengers than he probably otherwise would have. Vision is learning his own limitations and how his feelings for Wanda are affecting him. I think breaking them down to allow themselves to build back up is a good thing for them ultimately, but man, what a ride.

Really could have socked Tony in the jaw for being so stupid about what happened with his parents. I mean, how can he not be aware that Bucky was kidnapped, mutilated, tortured both physically and psychologically (and you'd think with what happened to Tony in Afghanistan would make him understand this!) and being forced to carry out these crimes against his will, even if that didn't diminish his anger, he at least could focus it on where it belonged, i.e. HYDRA. For it to completely go over his head that Bucky is a victim, arguably far more a victim than Tony's parents, and if not feel that sympathy for him, then at least be willing to overlook those crimes, and instead attack him with intent to kill, and going as far as maiming Cap in the process...I never thought I'd say this, but FUCK YOU, TONY STARK. Maybe Pepper wasn't wrong to sideline him, and he doesn't deserve to get her back without a serious redemption arc.

The best part was Giant Man. So awesomeness. I didn't get the thing about orange slices, though, did anyone else? Also kinda wish the end credits wasn't about Spidey, would rather have seen a glimpse of Wanda approaching the Doctor's Sanctum Sanctorum and being offered a beckoning hand inviting her in as his apprentice.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

Honestly i kind of understand Tony there, sure on reflection and with time i think he would and will see all the things you are saying. But he has been fucked in the head for like the last 3 big events and maybe just at that moment he just wanted to crush the head of the guy who took away his parents.

Honestly i kind of see both sides arguments as having legitimate angles both have flaws.

I have a feeling they are going to be hanging out with black panther possibly.

Also a little side note, did anybody ask Thro? Because i am prty sure nobody did. I also find it funny the guy who is suppose to have oversite of them is the one who shot up half a city trying to get Hulk, i think there is a subtle jab at the who is watching the watchers there because it seems to be somebody shit at his job :p
I also really do like Cap doping the shield at the end

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 15, 2016, 07:43:18 PM
Honestly i kind of understand Tony there, sure on reflection and with time i think he would and will see all the things you are saying. But he has been fucked in the head for like the last 3 big events and maybe just at that moment he just wanted to crush the head of the guy who took away his parents.

Honestly i kind of see both sides arguments as having legitimate angles both have flaws.

I have a feeling they are going to be hanging out with black panther possibly.

Also a little side note, did anybody ask Thro? Because i am prty sure nobody did. I also find it funny the guy who is suppose to have oversite of them is the one who shot up half a city trying to get Hulk, i think there is a subtle jab at the who is watching the watchers there because it seems to be somebody shit at his job :p
I also really do like Cap doping the shield at the end

If I was Cap, here's what I would say:

"I'm not signing these accords unless I agree with all of them. If you can provide a satisfactory answer or contingency for every concern I can name, I'll sign it. For example, if our team gets a vote whenever a situation might need us, that's something I would like to be able to have if the U.N. doesn't agree. Also, about recruitment. There are a lot of new superhumans coming out of the woodwork and I've seen on the news, you're rounding them up and imprisoning them, which I feel is both unfair and frankly tyrannical. I want our team to have a say in how that is handled. Etc. Etc. Etc.

"And another thing. Think about this: What if, in their higher wisdom than ours, Asgard decided that we as a society beneath theirs, aren't conducting ourselves in a manner which will be able to sustain us. If they began to send down soldiers to supervise and govern us, that wouldn't exactly be a comfortable situation, would it? So given that this situation is almost exactly how we view these accords, can you really expect us to just cooperate without a single caveat?"

I just feel like they were ignoring way too much and jumping far too quickly into a situation that needed violence. Surely simply inserting Bucky's alleged terrorist attack in the midst of them at least ATTEMPTING to start positive negotiations would have satisfied this lapse in good judgment on both sides. "Well, we were trying to get along, and you had to go and fuck it up, Steve!"
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

So an interesting little bit of tit bit i herd, apparently the director of the movie was aided in the combat scenes by the director of John Wick (Chad Stahelski) he has a secondary director or what ever they actually call it mark on the film. Apparently he was mostly responsible for the action scenes

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 18, 2016, 10:44:37 AM
So an interesting little bit of tit bit i herd, apparently the director of the movie was aided in the combat scenes by the director of John Wick (Chad Stahelski) he has a secondary director or what ever they actually call it mark on the film. Apparently he was mostly responsible for the action scenes

Cool. I never saw John Wick, but it seems logical to get help with choreography and the like from others who are experienced in certain aspects, like action. Their strength seems to be more towards storytelling and character development; the Russos really managed to pace the story competently and give everyone decent screen time despite the cast being so bloated (a much better job than Whedon did for Age of Ultron, which had a similarly bloated cast list), so I'm looking forward now to them being the directors for the Infinity War films. I think the key there is going to be balancing all the characters properly and they're doing a great job of it so far, in my opinion topping their first effort with Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Far eyes

Quote from: Mathim on May 18, 2016, 11:12:39 AM
I never saw John Wick

If you like action movies, i would really recommend it. I dont want to over hype it but its maybe one of the better action movies since i have seen something like Transporter and the good Die hard movies.

Not to spoiler anything but one of the amazing things the movie dos it build up this character you know practically noting about so by the time he shows up in an action sense you know he is feared, a badass and some shit is going to go down. In some ways it reminds me a lot of the messy action movies like Die Hard, its a different movie but its the one it reminds me the most of in some way   

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on May 18, 2016, 01:58:23 PM
If you like action movies, i would really recommend it. I dont want to over hype it but its maybe one of the better action movies since i have seen something like Transporter and the good Die hard movies.

Not to spoiler anything but one of the amazing things the movie dos it build up this character you know practically noting about so by the time he shows up in an action sense you know he is feared, a badass and some shit is going to go down. In some ways it reminds me a lot of the messy action movies like Die Hard, its a different movie but its the one it reminds me the most of in some way

The way you describe it makes it actually sound like Antonio Banderas' character in Desperado.

Far eyes

Less over the top, desperado is a bit more comic book this is more like a paperback novel character if that makes any sense

A/A

Ravenhawk

Which is ironic considering the action scenes in John Wick were partially inspired by anime

Far eyes

Quote from: Ravenhawk on May 19, 2016, 03:46:46 AM
Which is ironic considering the action scenes in John Wick were partially inspired by anime

I actually rarely on purpose look at the source material for any movie unless i already know it, and in a lot of those cases i wish i could separate the two more. I somehow find it a lot more easier to enjoy a movie not knowing to much about the book or what ever other media its based off of.

A/A

Ravenhawk

I think you misunderstood. John Wick is an original story, but for the action sequences, the directors were inspired by anime and martial arts films. They used fight choreographers from Hong Kong.

Far eyes

Oh well i am not sure thats really fair to just simplify down to that both Chad Stahelski and David Leitch have extensive caries in stunt work as stunt and action/martial arts choreographers both of them very much know there stuff.

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Ravenhawk on May 19, 2016, 08:31:57 AM
I think you misunderstood. John Wick is an original story, but for the action sequences, the directors were inspired by anime and martial arts films. They used fight choreographers from Hong Kong.

That's why I love Stephen Chow films, he is a Hong Kong director and has very entertaining fight choreography, so he's got good people working with him there. They should borrow that kind of thing for other Marvel movies, too (or the Netflix stuff).