DRAGON RIDERS OF PERN based rpg.... interest thread

Started by kaz, March 28, 2011, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz

I have an idea in mind for a game based in Anne Macaffrey's wonderful World of PERN.  I wont go into details but the basic idea of the game is set after the books.  So Lessa, F'lar, Jaxom and the dragons of the books have been gone for many turns.  Pern has lived a peaceful, prosperous life.  But things are set to change.  A strange Red Star is back in the sky and strange things are happening. 

The Red Star seems to be returning but how will the people of Pern be able to survive without the wonderful Dragons engineered by Kitty Ping so many turns ago.  It seems once more the planet is face with destruction...

If you ahve read any of the books you will be familiar with the world.  If you arent there are loads of sites, but the game I am planning will not need you to be familiar.  Although a few who do know the world would be great to have.

If you are interested pop a post here, just let me know if you are familiar or not.  I would like about 6 - 8 folks before I really write out the idea and get things rolling.

Looking to write.  Sometimes life catches up with me.  If it does I will be back...

Caela

Hey Kaz, I loved these books (especially the first three) since I was a kid. So the idea of playing this world is awesome to me, but I have to ask...why are there no dragons and (since this is after the books) what danger is the Red Star posing now?

kaz

The dragons have naturally disappeared.  They werent needed and things with the sky watch didnt work.  So over the 500 turns since the last pass the dragons have become a thing of myths and legends.  Although there is a rumour that one Weyr still exists somewhere on the southern continent.

As for the Red Star returning, three turns ago there was a terrible meteor shower, a large comet passed through the system, it sent of meteors to the planets.  Unknown to anyone the comet hit the red planet, knocking it back into an elipical orbit with Pern.  So the old danger is once again heading back to Pern.
Looking to write.  Sometimes life catches up with me.  If it does I will be back...

Phyrfaerie

So very very interested in this! Please, keep me in mind!

Kate

i read these ages ago and have a vague recollection of dragon imprinting / "betweening" and how they are needed to manage the danger of the threads

I do personally love the idea of being a Domme not sure if I am others tastes though (I am cruder than most do are one of the few women here who like female characters with a penis (yes I am bi and yes I do like the theme)

- which could appear after being linked to strange dragon - but I am not sure if that maps well with existing colors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons_%28Pern%29

anyway if the idea of a character like mine is not welcoem by any who expressed an interest before me happy to bow out graciously - otherwise Kaz pls message me if you think a character like mine could suit what you have in mind

Dracoat

I've read a couple of the books, so I r interested. One question though, do the fire lizards still exist? Those little critters are awesome, I just can't remember if they were prevalent in the later books or not.

"Forgiveness may not change the past, but it opens doors to the future."

I've taken theOath of Drake!
Check out my Introduction!
O/Os
If I'm not posting on time please check my A/A!

Chelemar

OH!

I love this idea...

I would very much be interested in this game Kaz. I am familiar and have read almost all of the books except for the newest.  I read up to where Avis "died."

Adonis

Alright, I admit my curiosity. After having read a great many of Anne's books, Im well versed on the story, as well as reasoning behind it. However a few things aren't making sense to me, and I'd like a wee bit o clarification if possible. First off, the red start re-appears and danger of threadfall looms. First, you said all the dragons had disappeared, and then there's rumor of them being on the southern continent? If there are rumors, wouldnt it be safe to say that they still exist, but have gone unseen?

Second, do firelizards play a part in this still, and last but not least, what technological advances (regained from wherever, or newly discovered) would play a part in fending off thread since they have yet to find or encounter dragons once more. Simply curious, because five hundred years is a hell of a jump for a basically medieval society (We went from Leonardo DaVinci to Nanotechnology in RL timeline of 500 years).

You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

kaz

Firelizards do still exist and they will be around in this time.  But they havent been seen for a while.  So the first thing that will happen once the game gets going is that someone will find a clutch and we'll have a fire lizard hatching.  I think these are always fun and exciting to do.  I have numerous images too from when I ran a highly successful Pern game before I found E.

The thing to remember with Pern is that it would never evolve into a highly technological society because the planet doesnt have enough mineral and natural resources to sustain such a high tech level.  They will have electricity, and their knowledge of medicine will be better than before, but they wont be all singing all dancing mega advanced folks.  I'm thinking they have a society where they work together.  Criminals are dealt with most sternly and they have no tolerance to any criminal activity.  It is still in many respects a paradise world.

The Council of Lord Holders and Craft Masters still run things, and they still hold a conclave twice a turn. 

They will have a basic radio system, but I dont want this Pern to have evolved that much.  Its still a very simple world compared to how Earth changed over 500 years.

The dragons do still exist, but people havent seen them, they have made a new life for themselves, and of course their numbers have dwindled down.  Because they havent been seen they are thought to be extinct.  Of course there will be panic when the people realise just what is about to land on them.  Who will protect them.

Because the dragons have been in isolation and time has gone on, new colors have appeared.  This is not going to be a canon game.  But I'm not going to go silly and give them powers and abilities like I have seen on games in the years I have been playing Pern RPGs.  Our dragons wont be going between time, they will still be the dragons we love and have enjoyed over the years.

What I am thinking is that we dont have a load of dragon riders to begin with.  I think we'll need six or seven.  We'll need the Weyrwoman and her Queen of course, who I'll be playing.  We'll need a senior male rider, on a bronze or his new equivalent, I'll let you know colors when I have thought them through a bit more.

We'll need a couple of greens/blue who will be the search dragons and riders as we'll need to do a search as there will be an unexpectedly large clutch. 

Any more questions please ask away, I find its good to ahve them as it gets me thinking and gets things out into the open.

I will say I dont want weird characters.  Pern is a very simple world and especially dragons riders have to be the best, or they wouldnt impress.  but they do need flaws and cant be perfect.  LOL  I seen a lot over the years in DRoP rpgs so I like to set things out at the start.

kaz

Heres the OOC  if you are still interested please post there, we'll sort things out.  It's in the NC human small groups as the actual mating flights can be rather violent. 

Any questions at all are welcome, as soon as I have my characters ready I'll pop them up.  There will be an information thread too once I know folks are interested and we seem to ahve a good group to start the game.

PS....apologies for spelling, my head hasnt woken up yet ;)

playfullchick76

I'm glad to see a new Pern one up and running. I would be more than happy to be a part of this one. I have a character who's  a freighter captain, who's ship approaches Pern and something hits it, damaging it enough so that she has to quickly evac her ship in an escape pod, which lands eiither in the ocean,or on land near an inhabited area.

If my character doenst work, then its okay. But, it was the character that I had before, and, I would like to play her out again in this one, if its ok with you kaz.

Kate

no weird characters ? a hermaphrodite would definately be considered weird - phewy :) oh well I will bow out :) enjoy though - great idea for a rp theme here :)

kaz

KATE > I have no worries with a herm character, infact I think it could be fun.  Post in OOC and see what others feel, as I say I have no problems with it.

PLAYFULL > PM me the details, I think that could be a really interesting subplot to play out. 

Kate

Name: Kryia
Sexuality: Bisexual
Craft: Trader

Previous romantic attempts with males often ended with what was worse than jokes. Although some thoughts do drift towards males, her heart had changed to seek intimacy with women, and as time passed even desires to father became more relevant. One almost successful liaison with such fell flat however in the same way and since then Kryia has almost lost hope of intimacy completely. The consequence of her efforts of romance became rewarded by the rumor being confirmed and friends in the village she grew up in soon also mocked what all knew of her so much her parents imparted what wealth they could spare to wish her her best in places hopefully more tollerant.

By these reasons Kryia entered the Weyr as a gem merchant, a desperate one.

Not many had the means to afford any of the pouchful of gemstones she had hard pressed to those hopeful dragon riders, for most at the Weyr had interests beyond that of vanity. Still although trade was uncommon it was at least enough for a stone house to become her own. Hope for others to relate to her issues at the Weyr however evaporated when Kryia soon learned all were managing issues of their own, but nothing prepared her for the night a dragon choose her.

Many had gathered to see the egg hatch, and more out of frustration of not making a trade in weeks Kryia snuck in to join a hatching as witnessing an impression at least could be something one could say of a life.

THe dragon was magnificent. Not as large as a bronze but big for browns and very impressive. this one purposeful, within minutes it had sniffed and then snorted at other hopeful males before strutting to Kryia's hiding place and coaxing her out with a firm glare.

"mm Me?" Kryia stammered.

"Yes"

"But I am a woman ,,, browns only choose a man"

"True"

"But I am a woman... "

"I choose you"

"There must be some mistake ... "

"Not by my reasoning. Your more of a man than those here, well you will be with me"

"You mean because ... All that makes me is a running joke in my village, your a dragon you can choose whoever ... "

"Traditions are for bronzes your energy humors me, I sense your fearful of your secret causing you social difficulties that you had repeated, yes some will appear here also but time to be proud"

Since the impression his words couldn't seem more true. Days afterwards his uncanny humor disarmed even the most of her introverted and dour moods. But it seemed the impression triggerered changes unlike one would have thought.

As if by design to force her to give up past habits of attempting secrecy, its size seemed to simply grow to a point clothing could not hide. Frustrating demands to know if it was his doing were annoyingly returned with shrugs from the great beasts shoulders or vauge comments such as "the way of things" or "time for pride not pettiness princess, enough stooping, shoulders back and chin up while I sleep some more"