Power Girls

Started by RubySlippers, January 06, 2008, 01:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

You can decide not to do lethal damage like super bitch slap someone when you need to.

And perception is not a skill you default to 1d6 without a power skills should be areas of specialized knowledge that are not automatic and not a power. Example of that could be instead of Perception, Thief or Medicine or seeing your background something like Driving.

Anyone can as I see it walk around and have a chance of perception unless its focused like Forgery so you can forge documents and detect them. Another example is a language seeing your Aussie knowing Japanese might be useful or a skill like Aboriginese Culture that fits and all.

Your powers are fine by the way.

Lanzlo

Well, originally, I was thinking that Perception was an organized scan of the surrounding area in order to notice things that others would normally miss; similar to what Sherlock Holmes performed in the novels by Sir Doyle (only without the incredible leaps in deduction). But, perhaps being fluent in Japanese would suit her better.

RubySlippers

Well anything over a normal heh that guy is trying to sneak up on me or heh she is not wearing any panties (lol) is a power. If you want Master Detective its a minor power that will cover all those nuances you can think of. Same with a power like Daredevils Radar Sense is a power in his case it had strong defensive advantages so was a major power, but Acute Senses giving you advantages would be minor including being harder to sneak up on and notice things. You could trade off your running power for it and then take Drive Motorcycle and Drive Car/Truck and you can have a motorcycle or car free just not all that souped up. A super vehicle is a power you can work on that one over what you get from the Allied Governments- Project Q.

Remember your good but still normal golden ages heroine they were not Superman in many comics. Some downright weak the Spirit of '76 has some training and a bullet proof cape not exactly Batman. Your stronger but not by much.

Lanzlo

Nah, I think I'l stick with what I have so far. Which is:

HERO NAME: Captain Australia
Secret Identity: Brijjit Morgan
Nationality: Sympathetic (British)
Costume: Olive Drab tank top/sports bra, Olive Drab shorts, combat boots, full face mask.
Appearance (other): Tall, powerfully built blond with gray eyes. Humanoid appearance has a light tan skin tone, heroine ID her skin is an odd orange/green cammo pattern.
Powers:
[1] [Tough as Nails] [+3/+3 Toughness]
[1] [Superior Strength] [Can throw motorcycles around, and does lethal with unarmed]
[1] [Kinetic Absorption] [Roll 2d6 for defense vs. physical attacks and take the highest]
[1] [Hand-to-Hand Combat] [Roll 2d6 when fighting hand-to-hand]
[1] [Enhanced Running Speed] [Can run as fast as a truck... upper limit around 60mph]

Skills:
Alien Technology
Tactics
Tracking
Fluent in Japanese
Wilderness Survival

Toughness (lethal/non-lethal): 9/9

Gimmicks:
Quick Change (minor illusionary ability. She uses this to appear human.)
Fan Club
Sex Symbol

Lancis

Emily has lived her life as the all american nerdy girl with a passion for "boy stuff." Especially technology, she has read every book she could ever find on auto repair, aircraft maintenace, etc. When she discovered her powers she was helping her little brother win a soapbox derby and managed to end up witha  wrench in her hand that was across the garage.. she is able to manipulate things with her mind, making guns, and even cars fall apart but with the same powers she can put it back together in the same place she found it. Her level of understanding increased to giving her amzing learning abilities and a perfect memory to back it up.

HERO NAME: Technopulse
Secret Identity: Emily Quinlan
Nationality: US
Costume: Silver jumpsuit with perscription goggles
Appearance (other): Nerdy, glasses, always dressed in slacks, a collared shirt, etc
Powers:
[Two] [Technocrat) (Control over technology: cars, computers, planes, etc)
[Two] [Heightened intelligence] Quicker understanding of anything, be it another language, a new vehicle she has never seen before, anything
[One] Minor telekinesis: able to move and manipulate upjects up to 25 pounds at about 75 feet away

Skills:
Driving
Navigation
Pilot (aircraft/watercraft)
auto and aircraft repair

Toughness (lethal/non-lethal): 6/6

(I figured every team needs a gadget geek lol, someone to fix all the lovely equipment when the strong ones or the enemy break it... )
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

RubySlippers

Ok you understand its mostly WWII and early funky sci-fi technology and computers are generally pretty huge or primitive, so controlling technology is pretty limited. Unless you bump into Martian warship. lol

Cars don't generally have computers neither do planes or even stratorockets save some transister tubes and the like.

So its Technocrat is a minor power and 1 slot on the off chance you do meet something it works on.

Heightened Intelligence we shall call it Hyperintellect as in Mr. Fantastic. Now for a flaw you have an experimental Mental Enhancement System from a rather crazed Venusian scientist, to use said power you need to wear a funky, and odd looking pointy helmet with dials and blinking lights that is attached to your brain. And if you roll a 2 on 2d6 something bad happens and I have fun. Mwhahahahahaha.....

Lancis

hmm cars are still tech and what i mean by control is like starting the car without keys, looking at a gun and it falls to pieces, or i can put one together with just my mind... ala sky high

RubySlippers

Well we are not talking 21st century technology here with computers, we can assume you can do some tricks that's no biggy.

Serenity Vixen

Question, are we on an allied team?
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

RubySlippers

Yes there are five operationsal teams:

The Power Girls (kind of pushed by Elenor Roosevelt) based in the Pacific

The Liberty League based in the United States

The Iron Wings sponsored by the British Government

The Red Flag the USSR sponsored team

and

The Inhumanoids a rather strange bunch of not quite so human looking humans working in Africa and the Middle East

On the other side are...

The Rising Sun League (Japanese elite villians with some oriental agents sypathetic with them) the ones you have to worry about. Consists of as known members Swordmaster Katana, Lady Lotus, Faceless and the Dragon Mask. Plus lesser villians and cronies these are the hard hitters and leaders.

The Iron Cross League (German elite villians with sympathetic mercenaries)

The Shadow (a Fifth Columne Movement that is global supported by the Axis)

Supernatural Five (led by Dracula and a few others they are out for themselves but not friendly to peace loving persons and the cause of liberty)

RubySlippers

On Tuesday, January 15th-

The Power Girls are go!

(or whatever your motto of action is when readying the fight....)

MadPanda

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Lanzlo

Well, spork you too, Panda. :P

Lancis

"I WILL TEAR HIS HEART OUT WITH A SPOON?"

"Why a spoon?"

"BECAUSE IT'S DULL YOU TWIT, IT WILL HURT MORE!"

lol

RubySlippers

Sorry for the delay, on the plus side we have another player likely so will start next Mionday if she gets her character in here by the weekend. The game will start with the heroic rescue of General McArther from the Japanese threat. Namely the superpowered members of the Japanese forces who will try to capture or kill him. Should be a worthy challenge.

kylie

HERO NAME:   Flare
Secret Identity: Xhana Santos
Nationality: Brazil

Costume:

A black bodysuit layering black nylon and flynet, more translucent over the limbs and just a little more opaque with weave over the intimate parts.  Matching finger gloves up to the elbows, and drab green heeled calf boots and green hair pieces, set with small ornamental stones and Allied flags.

Appearance (other):

Halfway between tall, buxom Asian and ravenhaired Latin, she could be Chinese or Romanian from the look,
-- she seems to fit in almost anywhere East Asian or Central European, and the Allies have taken advantage of that to place her with resistance movements.  Nearly 6' tall and a top-heavy hourglass figure, with a chiseled yet cute face.

Concept:

Secret Nazi experiments have sought to acquire sources of power from legendary artifacts and myths across the world.  Allied agents disrupted one in Latin America that attempted to capture power and extreme devotion from historically strong religions.  They discovered that this Japanese-Brazilian woman, who had been conscripted as a porter and nurse, had somehow had her native superstitions enhanced and powered by contact with artifacts in a temple destroyed by their operation.  She had acquired abilities to absorb and manipulate light and heat, the currencies that local gods promised their followers.

Powers:
(I couldn't really think of a fifth mid-level skill I wanted as much as low-level Illusion, so I dabbled around?)

1. Body of Light    XXX
Flight, desolidify, invisibility -- three separate powers, with separate charging, used primarily for tactical positioning or escape.  "Fly" here meaning a short-range teleport along some straight, visible line; an actual sunbeam would be ideal, but a stretch of polished metal or at worst, the light-dark contrast bordering anything with square edges on a bright day would do.

2.  Force Multiplier     XX
She has a certain affinity with others' employments of heat and light, if they are anything like hers.  So if she focuses, she can help people to aim a kinetic or beam strike (sense of targeting), or make an incendiary blast larger.  She must focus, and can either add XX to an individual effect on an individual target, or X to a non-directed effect over a small area (say 10m radius?).  She can only enlarge or redirect existing effects, but cannot make them smaller per se.

3. Energy blast    XX  (fistfuls of fire, or light for effect or umm, lighting)
4. Immunity: Fire   XX  (everything short of standing smack in ground-zero)
5. "Armor"       XX  (tricks of the light, she is not where she seems to be)

6.  Illusionist   X   
(bends light: can look like someone else entirely apart from her everyday persona, or make objects up to a few feet across appear to be something slightly different for short periods of time, with focusing)

[Slots Used] [Name of Power] [Description:] ~repeat as necessary~
We didn't move points in our out of attributes like Talk and Body,
so this slot business is rather confusing me?  I'll leave it to the moderating ;)

Skills:

English      XX  (just fine)
1.  German      X (she gets by, but not too formal or technical)
2.  Japanese   X
3.  Medicine    X  (your average learned it during the war nurse)
4.  Latin dance   X  (good, not pro)
Portugese   XXX (native, but who cares in game)

Weaknesses:

Limited Powers --
Where she uses light or heat, she needs to have them or store them during the previous day.  She cannot be throwing power around for an afternoon, and then go out the same night and do it again unless there is some alternative (maybe if someone sets off a big explosion, she could steal some for a few minutes).  And she does not function as well in near-total darkness or very cold places, or when her body is not able to absorb the energy.  Thus the dark and not overly thick uniform.

Absorbs Blind Faith -
The religion that gave her powers was very ritual-centered, and some of that carried over.  She is sensitive to situations where a large number of people believe, or where a single figure with a great deal of authority believes, that things will turn out a certain way.  This doesn't usually mean one side can or cannot win.  But if they believe that a bridge simply cannot fall or a woman simply does not have the means to take them down, then she needs their faith to be shaken a little first, before she can use her powers on them in larger ways.  She can do this herself too, but it takes work.

People Magnet -
(Guys and gals both, but I didn't really mean two slots worth.)  When not on a battlefield, she tends to be homely enough and supernaturally polished in appearance.  There always seem to be a couple people lingering longer than necessary in the background and tossing glances, under the most everyday of circumstances.

Nemesis - or maybe --
(If she needs another weakness down the road)  Some Nazi femme fatale employed on the artifacts project, who may know of a way to use her powers against her.  They'll have to meet/ be informed of her and realize just what she is to get interested, though.

Gimmicks:

Costume Change (still thinking, but involving predictable elements)
Comely Chara (I tried, but "wholesome" just strikes me as such down-home talk)
Snazzy FX (little flickers of energy for show, when needed); maybe I can think of better, if this is free?

RubySlippers

Quote from: kylie on January 19, 2008, 03:46:15 PM
HERO NAME:   Flare
Secret Identity: Xhana Santos
Nationality: Brazil

Costume:

A black bodysuit layering black nylon and flynet, more translucent over the limbs and just a little more opaque with weave over the intimate parts.  Matching finger gloves up to the elbows, and drab green heeled calf boots and green hair pieces, set with small ornamental stones and Allied flags.

Appearance (other):

Halfway between tall, buxom Asian and ravenhaired Latin, she could be Chinese or Romanian from the look,
-- she seems to fit in almost anywhere East Asian or Central European, and the Allies have taken advantage of that to place her with resistance movements.  Nearly 6' tall and a top-heavy hourglass figure, with a chiseled yet cute face.

Concept:

Secret Nazi experiments have sought to acquire sources of power from legendary artifacts and myths across the world.  Allied agents disrupted one in Latin America that attempted to capture power and extreme devotion from historically strong religions.  They discovered that this Japanese-Brazilian woman, who had been conscripted as a porter and nurse, had somehow had her native superstitions enhanced and powered by contact with artifacts in a temple destroyed by their operation.  She had acquired abilities to absorb and manipulate light and heat, the currencies that local gods promised their followers.

Powers:

1. Body of Light    XXX
(flight, desolidify, invisibility -- three separate powers, with separate charging, used primarily for tactical positioning or escape.  "Fly" here meaning a short-range teleport along some straight, visible line; an actual sunbeam would be ideal, but a stretch of polished metal or at worst, the light-dark contrast bordering anything with square edges on a bright day would do.)
2.  Force Multiplier2. Energy blast    XX  (fistfuls of fire, or light for effect or umm, lighting)
3. Immunity: Fire   XX  (everything short of standing smack in ground-zero)
4. "Armor"       XX  (tricks of the light, she is not where she seems to be)
5.  Illusionist   X   
(bends light: can look like someone else entirely apart from her everyday persona, or make objects up to a few feet across appear to be something slightly different for short periods of time, with focusing)

[Slots Used] [Name of Power] [Description:] ~repeat as necessary~

Skills:

English      XX
Disguise / Camo   XX
Japanese   X
Medicine    X
Latin dance   X
Portugese   XXX

Weaknesses:

Limited Powers (light)
Mass Psychology (logic)
Flirt
People Magnet

Gimmicks:

Costume Change
Snazzy FX

Nice try you get five powers if you take a trait like Body of Light it can have some benefits but all-together canot be deemed a major power seperately. We can do:

Body of Light (minor power)
You only defense power will be blinding form if you wish to you can light up making it hard to target your character as in they must roll dice and you but you will get a 2d6 defense unless they have protective goggles or some immunity like being blind. But anything light flight, an attack that does real damage, desolidification must be full powers but can be minor. And by the way fire immunity cannot be that good at most you can roll 2d6 to the opponents or a GM roll to see if you take damage per round my die would normally be a 1d6.

These are lesser powered heroes bullets and the like should have a chance to do damage no one is immune to anything or indestructible.

One last thing Brazil is neutral and Japan is at war with the US and an enemy. This is a WWII game you would NEVER get clearance to join the allied hero teams from the US- period. You must come from an allied country, a related area like the British Commonwealth. As I see it they would all deem you a collaborator and a security risk to their biggest secrets. Powered up or not racism is alive and well in the US and your 50% enemy blood and 50% foreign neutral power enough to keep you unrecruited.

You do know they locked up thousands of Japanese Americans for no major and good reason back then and they were citizens, I have to apply real racism from the period in character backgrounds. Now if she was half-Chinese then bammo your on the right side and enough said they were our noble allies against the Japanese scourge and all.

I do like the character she just needs to be fixed up.

kylie

Oh, I realized all the deception stuff was getting thick. 

So I put in German in place of disguise.

kylie

Well, first I suppose I should clarify that I really wasn't trying to build a tank.

I just based Body of Light on the online BBSW rules, and you said list a number of slots, so I did and followed their guide for what such slots would mean.  In that system, each "slot" for Body of Light is a separate power of sorts and I thought each of them was pretty limited.  I certainly didn't intend to whiz around using them all each battle.  I also expected they would each have a certain cost to use, and I wouldn't want to spend the energy all that often anyway.

But if we need to be more rigid, I'll settle for the blinding light.  She isn't even Wonder Woman though (which was your example, and could stop bullets most of the time).  So I think she'll get run over fairly often, for lack of a chance to block more solid attacks or to escape physically.  But maybe that's the point, if they're non-lethal attacks.  I don't know, I don't do super things often enough ;)

I'm not a close historian, but my understanding is that some people from Brazil fought for the Allies.  I'm more certain that several from Spain did (and others from Spain fought for the Axis too).  Then there is the example of the 442nd Japanese-American unit, which the Americans were quite happy to assign the most dangerous missions.  Why shouldn't they send a half-Japanese with specific qualifications (making their explosions bigger), who looks as likely to be Slavic as Japanese physically and who already has a religious grudge against Germany? 

She could use illusion to make herself look Midwest-Scandinavian-blonde, if she absolutely has to. But at the point, I might get bored with playing the look and hand it over to Darwishi ;)  I suppose I could rename her Chinese-something and not lose much, but I'm not sure the Latin America story or her natural looks would make sense then...

RubySlippers

Well ok I can give on the Brazilian side but Japanese your going to have to understand your in a top secret division of the war effort and have to get a security clearance. Your half-Japanese and they did sneak attack the US, its not going to work with that racial mix. Now if you are half-Japanese but don't know your parent and the Brazil side is respectable I will likely allow it I'm talking a Brazilian with a significant government office like an Ambassador to the US or something. Someone above any refutation.

If you want Body of Light to offer more defense, and I should point out it can, some kind of laser shield might be possible with the same 2d6 dice roll for contests against the attack it would be your body. There is always a chance a bullet can hurt her its just your tougher pretty much than well any normal human.

Think more early Iron Man he had armor and could fire electrical charges with some augmented strength that power level, limited in scope but with decent powers.

As for other powers they are generally not a biggy if minor, flight is actually fine if about as fast as a car at full speed, if you want to match a fighter in the air that is a major power.

So figure what you want to do and then try and work it in. Like you want to craft illusions I would say that would be minor but may not include sounds or other senses for a minor power. It would cover disguises and other effects for that I'm not unreasonable.

kylie

The Japanese-Americans were given missions in intelligence, parachute operations, and very intense ground fighting (Italy, Burma).  They didn't seem to have a lot of issues with security clearances in setting up an entire regiment-size unit with half or more Japanese blood.  They wanted someone that speak the language.  Granted some of the other divisions may not have been thrilled, but they had to deal with it and the 442nd came out with some high honors (as well as one of the highest casualty ratios per unit).

As I read it, the whole point for the Japanese-Americans was not that they were "above refutation."  You've already pointed out that in some eyes, anything with a smidget of Japanese was going to suspect, so how could they be.   But in fact they were necessary, they wanted to prove themselves terribly, and they were available in the Western Hemisphere where they could be organized, vetted (with what little real knowledge of Japanese socialization and language the US had anyway, not that they would know for sure), and trained.  Their experience was about proving themselves by doing, not by being different physically but by where they grew up and felt they belonged.

Given Latin America, I suppose she could be less than half Japanese.  You might notice I never said half and half necessarily.  She could be a third Mexican for all I care, but I'm starting to think this is going to be more about racial tension between the Allies than fighting with the Axis.  In which case, I'm not so interested.

It's much more minor, but isn't 2d6 awful random unless the goal number is always around 5 or higher?  It just strikes me as odd for instance, that someone who could toss flames would be so likely to get burned by someone else's.  Unless her power was more something that created the flame out there in the air.

RubySlippers

How combat works is you roll one or two dice (powers are two dice) and the opponent rolls that and the highest die rolled after removing one wins. If some other situation usually no rolls are needed your superpoered if you can fliy you can go around unless your evading an attacker.

And again your not talking regular intelligence missions you are the tip of a very small spear used in the most sensitive missions, true some Japanese are later in the war going to get a shot, but Pearl Harbor happened months ago game time. A prestigious Brazilian family would be enough or someone with government connections that would give the US cause to think otherwise. Unless your entering via one of the other allies for example a parent was working for intelligence services for Britain before the war seeing your background that makes sense. They would likely not care if you helped get Nazi information.

kylie

Unless we're going to spend most of the game doing introductions and swapping backstories (and I do know some people who love to play just that), it's getting thick for my taste just now.  Or maybe I'm just not fascinated enough by the historical minutiae.  If I have this much fuss getting a look I like in, I can't imagine what's going to happen when I have to figure out which part of a tank to attack or how late the lights are on in Tokyo this time of year.  I'm sorry, it's just turning me off. 

Serenity Vixen

I hate to, but I am going to drop from this game...

Maybe in the future, after I get feeling better, and if you would like me to join, I can, but right now I am just not up to it. I am sorry
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Darwishi

Is this game still up and running, or taking character sheets? o.O