Anyone familliar with Blue Rose?

Started by Vice, May 26, 2006, 04:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice

Has anyone else heard of, and been intrigued by, Blue Rose from Green Ronin games? It's a romantic fantasy-themed RPG, using their "True 20" system (it's a derivative of the Mutants and Masterminds system, which was a radically stripped-down and re-built version of d20), which actually looks like it would play rather nicely. The rules are very simple (it only uses a single d20 for rolls), and I think the theme would work well here.

The thing is, I'm not really good at running play by post games. Not in the long run, in any case. Rather than petition for a board, what I'd like to do is run a very short-term, single adventure, just to introduce interested parties to the general system and such, and hopefully inspire someone to take up GMing a more long-term game (that I could play in, of course).

Basically, the game takes place in a kingdom called Aldis, a fairly young kingdom dedicated to the ideals of justice and equality. They are beset on all sides by dangers, however; a powerful Lich King to the north, who hungers to subjugate the people of Aldis as he and his kind (The Sorceror Kings) did in the previous age, and to the east, the Theocracy of Jarzon, who hate the Lich King as much as the Aldins do, but who also hate the Aldins for their liberal beliefs and refusal to convert to the Jarzoni religion.

Also, there are numerous darkfiends and such left over from the previous age of Sorceror Kings, greedy merchants, corrupted nobles, corrupted adepts (adepts are the magic users in this system), political intrigue, and of course, romance.

More information can be found at http://www.blueroserpg.com

If this sounds interesting to you, let me know.

Fyrangel

I have all the books as it happens and was running a live game.   Good system, good game.   It's Valdemar with the serial numbers filed off basically.

I'm always interested in such games.

MadPanda

I could be talked into this.  I read some of Tamora Pierce's works while I was in junior high...and I probably would have read them even if someone had told me they were girls' books  ;D ;D ;D

However, I don't have any of the books, and can't really afford to add Yet Another System to the zillions I've already stockpiled over the years, so I'd have to ask for a pre-gen and a lot of system advice from time to time.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

not much system advice necessary, and character building is easy as pie. There are only three classes, after all. Now, seeing as we've got someone here who already has all of the books (I own the main book) and is familiar with it...perhaps I can con her into taking the idea and running with it? :)

NikitaFirestar

Hmm... this looks like it could be interesting, if there's room for one more...
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Jefepato

I was never able to find the books.

I have my doubts about the M&M system working for something that isn't superheroes, but if I can get my hands on the book I might be interested...

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Quote from: Jefepato on May 27, 2006, 11:26:14 AM
I was never able to find the books.

I have my doubts about the M&M system working for something that isn't superheroes, but if I can get my hands on the book I might be interested...

Well...it's been heavily modified.

As a long-time M&M player/GM, I have to say that aside from the basic mechanics (the damage save system, all rolls using 1 d20), the game isn't that recognizable. For one, it's class-based now (three basic classes), with customization coming from feat selection (you get a feat every level). The skill system has been drastically changed, in a way that I'm willing to give a chance, but many other M&M people seem to strongly dislike. There are no "powers" in the game; the magic system bears more resemblance to the Force Powers from Star Wars d20 than the Sorcery power from M&M.

To this, they've added a "Conviction" mechanic that kind of resembles the Willpower mechanic from Exalted, inasmuch as it rewards you for behaving in accordance with your character's personality, though Conviction works more like a Hero Point than a Willpower point.

It's definitely its own thing...I think it'll work great, and I look forward to finding out.

MadPanda

Reading through the PDFs on the site now.  This is one my wife might enjoy (and daughter, when she gets old enough).

I've already got a character idea in mind.  Two of 'em, in fact...if someone wants to start this, I'd give it a whirl.  I might even experiment a little more than usual.

(emulates his 'son' by rolling around on the ground, exposing his belly, and purring at Fyrangel)

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

well, I said I'd get the ball rolling with a first adventure. I'd be glad to, perhaps in a thread in one of the Fun & Games threads.

MadPanda

Should we send you char-gen ideas, then?

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Certainly. Or post them here, if that would work well.

Fyrangel

I'd be glad to help someone run a game, don't know if I'd do it all on my own.

Jefepato

I'm working on getting a copy of the Blue Rose book.  Once I do, I'll see about character ideas...

Jefepato

On further consideration, Blue Rose looks like it might be worth a shot (although the D&Der in me is sad at the lack of blow-things-up arcana).  Are we thinking of a 1st-level game?

MadPanda

"Look, George!  It's the biggest damn Siamese I ever did see!"

Rhys-cats are...interesting...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Yes, this would be a 1st level game. I would stress that I am committing to run one adventure, and hopefully then get to play when someone takes over. I've found I have bad luck when trying to run long-term games online.

MadPanda

Hmm.  Well, get enough copies of the rules in circulation, and we might be able to do the troupe thing and hand off GMing once in a while...(ducks behind the blast shield)

In Memory of Bishrook

LadyFox

I used to work for a games distribution company, so saw it when it first came through.. I was planning on getting it for myself, but couldn't find any interest locally.. most players around me seem to be the 'how many dice can we roll to make things go boom' variety.  I'd love to give this a try, if there's more room.
She is my broken doll
She lost all her pieces in a big fall
She can't discover
That I will never let her recover

MadPanda

Always room for one more, I'd say.  Especially for a small-press lesser known game like this.  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Sure, you're welcome to join us. For the time being, I wouldn't mind people posting character ideas/stat blocks in this thread...it's a bit easier to read here than in my PM inbox, though if you prefer to PM I guess that's okay too.

MadPanda

If I ever think of a name for him, sure.  And then finish concepts #2 and #3.

The only problem with Rhys-cats is I now have that song from Lady and the Tramp stuck in my head...original lyrics.

"Please observing we are having dainty paws.  Dainty paws is always hiding dainty claws..."

In Memory of Bishrook

LadyFox

I was going to say, don't recall those lines....

And would need info about it to make a character and such....
She is my broken doll
She lost all her pieces in a big fall
She can't discover
That I will never let her recover

MadPanda

There were two versions of the song.  Those two lines were part of the original idea, but it was a trimmed-down version that got used in the movie.

And I think ol' Vice can help you out with the char-gen stuff, easily enough.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Quote from: Vice on June 01, 2006, 03:22:47 PM
Sure, you're welcome to join us. For the time being, I wouldn't mind people posting character ideas/stat blocks in this thread...it's a bit easier to read here than in my PM inbox, though if you prefer to PM I guess that's okay too.

Okay, just so everyone else can see where my mind's going...here's the (publicly posted) version of the PC formerly submitted as Concept #1.  Not being too clear on Aldin naming conventions, I'm winging it (and going pseudo-Cymric)

Kerwyn Halderi

19 year old human male, slender build, 5' 7", 140 pounds, clean shaven, wears his long wavy dark brown hair swept back in a ponytail, black eyes, medium olive complexion

Strength 0
Dexterity +2
Constitution 0
Intelligence +2
Wisdom 0
Charisma +2

Expert Lv 1
Aldin background

Combat:
Attack +0
Melee +0
Ranged +2
Defense 16 (14 if unable to Dodge)

Saves:
Toughness +0
Fortitude  +0
Reflex +4
Will +2

Conviction: 3

Skills:
*Diplomacy +6
*Gather Information +6
*Know (Nobility) +6
Know (History) +4
*Perform (Dance) +6
*Sense Motive +4
*Ride +6
*Sneak +6
Language (Aldin,Roamer,Jarzoni)
(* = favored)

Feats:
Armor Training (Light)
Fascinate (Diplomacy)
Favors
Weapon Training
Arcanum: Psychic Shield

Inner Nature:
Alignment--Light
Calling--Temperance (mediation of extremes)
Light Nature--Seven of Chalices (Practical)
Shadow Nature--Knight of Chalices (Manipulative)

Equipment:
Traveler's Clothes
Leather Armor
Dagger
Quarterstaff
Set of Courtier's Clothing with jewelry

Wealth Bonus +7 (Currently +2)

Background to come, but Kerwyn is your garden-variety civil-service nobleman and negotiator.

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Aldins, from what I gather of the book, do not really have naming conventions, just as their physical appearance can vary widely, because Aldis is a melting pot.

I will try to post up some general character generation info this weekend.

Jefepato

Rhydans disturb me mildly (since I'm not really into non-humanoid animal-types in a sexual context), but in general Blue Rose would be fun to try.  I'm thinking of playing a healer (if I remember, stats will come later tonight when I look at the rules again).

Vice

Well, for the record, there is nothing to suggest that Rhydan mate outside of their species. Certainly not in canon, anyway. They're psychic, and some will form psychic bonds to humanoids, but the relationship is (presumably) non-sexual.

Pesonally, I'd leave it to the players.

Jefepato

Oh, I'm well aware that the book never even suggests that rhydan would mate outside their species, but this is Elliquiy after all.  I would be amazed if no one else was thinking it.

(I don't care if other players run scenes like this.  I just wanted to make clear where my interests don't lie so there won't be confusion later.)

Not that it really matters.  Who can afford to blow a feat on Rhy-bonded?  There's never enough feats!

Jefepato

Anyway, here's a preliminary sheet.  Background to come later.

Talia Alanthos, female human (Aldin) adept 1
Alignment: Light
Calling: Creating change
Light Nature: Compassionate
Shadow Nature: Hopeless
Orientation: Cepia luath

STR -1
DEX +1
CON +0
INT +2
WIS +3
CHA +1

Initiative +1 (+1 DEX)
Defense 13 (+2 base, +1 DEX)
BAB +0

Melee attack bonus: -1 (+0 BAB, -1 STR) (-1 damage unarmed, +1 damage with quarterstaff)
Ranged attack bonus: +1 (+0 BAB, +1 DEX)
Cryston attack bonus: +3 (+0 BAB, +3 WIS) (+3 damage)

Saves:
Toughness +0 (+0 base, +0 CON)
Fortitude +0 (+0 base, +0 CON)
Reflex +1 (+0 base, +1 DEX)
Will +5 (+2 base, +3 WIS)

Conviction: 3
Wealth: +5
Professional skill: Heal

Skills:
Concentration + (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Craft (elixirs) + (+4 ranks, +2 INT)
Diplomacy +5 (+4 ranks, +1 CHA)
Heal +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Sense Motive +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)

Arcana:
Body Control +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Cure +7 (+4 ranks, +3 wIS)
Heart Reading +3 (+0 ranks, +3 WIS) (DC 13)
Mind Touch +5 (+4 ranks, +1 CHA) (DC 11)
Psychic Shield +7 (+4 ranks, +3 WIS)
Second Sight +3 (+0 ranks, +3 WIS)

Feats:
Arcane Training (Body Control, Cure)
Arcane Training (Mind Touch, Psychic Shield)
Healing Talent
Psychic Talent
Pure-Hearted

Equipment:
Cryston
Quarterstaff
Five days' rations
Waterskin
Traveler's outfit
White healer's outfit

MadPanda

Aww, man...I think this one's dead.   :(  Unless we can find a replacement GM...

In Memory of Bishrook

ZK

I know Blue Rose and own the core book for it. Lovely material.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MadPanda

Question is, do we still have other players?  And if so, who?

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

I'm still here, and very curious about whether this system actually works for non-superhero games.

ZK

Well, Blue Rose is a romantic fantasy game, so, it should in fact be "epic" on some scale or another. But, True20 does work with it, Blue Rose was made with the system. ^^

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MadPanda

Well, if you're up to running it, ZK, I think it's yours...unless Vice comes back  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

ZK

I'd like to play in a Blue Rose game. But if worse comes to worse, I'll host it.

Goblinmoon

I have the main book, but I suck at systems so a Q&D guide would be useful. I'm interested though if this is still alive.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Oh, Viiiiiiii-ice?  Where'd ya go, man?   ???  (shrug)  ZK, you still willing to put this one together?  We have interested parties but no GM, and I'm maxed out on trying to ref stuff just now...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

I'm here, but due to pretty much everything going to crap at once, I don't have enough time to even think about running a Blue Rose campaign.  :'(

On second thought, this might be the perfect diversion/project for me. How many people are still here and interested?

If you can give me a week to get things sorted out, I could probably get a game running.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Goblinmoon

I am but will need help. I suck at systems, even though I have the book.

Vice

Well, here's what I'm thinking of:

Sojourn is a rapidly growing trade city in the east, in the shadow of the Veran Marsh. It is home to a diverse community of Jarzoni refugees and young, ambitious Aldin merchants. It is only a couple of days travel from the port city of Marayal, where sailors bring fresh goods from the islands and the lands beyond the sea. Despite the near-constant dangers from the Veran Marsh (which is infested with bandits, to say nothing of the supernatural horrors deep within the marsh), and possible military attack from the imperialistic Theocracy of Jarzon. Aldin diplomats work furiously to weave intrigues to protect the city, but their economic hold on Jarzon is ever tenuous.

The players will take the role of young adventurers in search of fortune, purpose, or maybe just love, who have come to the city to find their way. Some may be fresh from military academies looking for work as caravan guards, city patrolmen, or scouts to root out the bandits in the marsh. Others may  be neophyte diplomats or merchants looking to start up their careers. And of course, Adepts can find a myriad of opportunities in a city like this.

Now, I know that some people aren't as familiar with the setting.

A very long time ago, there was a golden age. One large kingdom, ruled wisely, etc. etc. Like all golden ages, it fell into darkness, and the lands came under the control of the Sorceror Kings, who abused the power of magic horribly, using dark, unethical, and evil powers collectively known as 'sorcery'. In time they were deposed, except for Jarek, who still rules over the mountainous region of Kern. I'm rushing through this here to keep it short and sweet, but there is a lot of history and mythology here, including the Golden Hart, a mystic animal that led the people against the Sorceror Kings, but I can explain more of that later.

After the fall of the Sorceror Kings, the people now known as the Jarzoni formed a strict Theocracy that banned all magical practices and enforced a strict moral code, banning homosexuality, severely restricting the rights of women, persecuting non-humans, and immolating anyone who deviates from the state religion. They have a serious problem with Aldis, seeing it as decadent and in need of saving, and will frequently try to take military actions against Aldis, but they are always rebuffed. Economic factors and the danger presented by Kern prevent either side in the conflict from dedicating their full attention to the matter.

Aldis is, in short, a modern, progressive, liberal republic. They've taken nearly every possible precaution against political and magical corruption. Their monarch is actually chosen by the Golden Hart, from a pool of nobles. The nobles, in turn, are put through a selection process using a magical rose that will only anoint the pure of heart. While corrupt nobles are not unknown, such corruption occurs after their ascencion. Aldis prides itself on being an accepting, open society. They recognize the sentience of the Rhydan (Jarzon does not), allow gay marriages, and in some areas (generally the south) they even allow group marriages (this is not a common practice at all in Aldis, but they accept it). They are a people that value love, the arts, and peace. They are in constant danger from Kern and Jarzon, and also have the usual problems with bandits, corrupt merchants, piracy, and the occasional government corruption.

Kern, to the north, is a dark and dreary place, firmly in the grip of evil. Jarek is a lich, and he rules over the people of Kern ruthlessly. Humans in Kern are basically slaves, and work to support the country, and unearth crystals which are used for magical purposes. Jarek's large supply of magical crystal, as well as his willingness to use dark magic to supplement his forces with demons, vampires, and the undead ensure that his control of the region is absolute. None of his neighbors are strong enough individually to depose him, and they lack the cohesion to put together a competent alliance.

Rezea is a land to the west, populated by nomadic people that roughly resemble a cross between the Mongols and Native Americans. I'm purposely being vague here, as Rezea is far from where the game is located, and I'd like to keep them a little mysterious. You're welcome to read about them on your own in the books, or even make a Rezean.

Vice

Quote from: Goblinmoon on October 19, 2006, 12:18:37 AM
I am but will need help. I suck at systems, even though I have the book.

Well, chargen is pretty straightforward...ability scores are only tracked by the bonus they give now, so you don't have to worry about the difference between strength 15 and strength 16. You just pick one of three classes, put 6 points in six ability scores, pick a few known skills, two feats, an area of origin, and off you go. The Light/Shadow Nature thing is easy, and is just based on the personality of your character.

The only part where it might get more complicated is in making a Rhydan, and that's not too hard either. I'd be glad to help.

MadPanda

Hmm.  Kerwyn would work perfectly for this chosen setting...  ;D  I should go have a look at him again.

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Okay, so that's three people so far. Feel free to post your character sheets here, or PM them to me.

MadPanda

My Mk. I sheet is on here somewhere, a few pages back...

In Memory of Bishrook

Vice

Indeed it is. And now I have two copies. :D