Fundamentalist extremists

Started by Kotah, October 23, 2009, 02:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neroon

But doubt is scary isn't it?

I think you have a false foundation here.  I think you are assuming that people value safety from extremists more than the intellectual certainty of certainty and I doubt very much that they do.  In the end, this is a big scary universe and people need that sense of certainty, that sense of belonging.

By encouraging doubt, the result is that while people might well throw aside a certainty that might lead them to embrace one form of extremism, they do so only to embrace another certainty, which leads to an entirely different fanaticism. 

I don't t know though.  Perhaps doubt, is an answer, but only if it's not taken to extremes.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Oniya

Militant agnostic:  I don't know, and neither do you!

(pulled from my large collection of nancybuttons.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Neroon

Indeed, I epitomise the extreme centre.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy