Any good cheap/free mmorpg or...well game?

Started by Skye2, July 21, 2009, 09:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skye2

So~~~ Being bored and poor I ponder about the adds I see for "free" mmorpgs. Does anyone here play one? Are they any good?
talk about it~
on and offs

Naruto fan? Or just want to rp something...different?
http://hsnaruto.com/index.php

Hokum

Quote from: Skye on July 21, 2009, 09:16:52 AM
So~~~ Being bored and poor I ponder about the adds I see for "free" mmorpgs. Does anyone here play one? Are they any good?
talk about it~

Cant really help you with the free ones.

I've played a few.  World of Warcraft, Eve online, Star Wars Galaxies (when first released) and Age of Conan.  The only one I still really play is Even.  The others, were fun for a while.

It really depends what sort of genre appeals to you and if you want to have a roleplay experience while playing.

Feel free to send me a private mesasge if you want, I can try and tell you more about them.  I'm pretty nerdy when it comes to my gaming! :)

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Aleksandr

Travian works well enough. As far as free-to-play MMOs go, though, the one you want to look at is Dungeons and Dragons online. It's shifting for a Free-2-Play setup soon (with the requisite little customizations you can purchase with real money) because it hasn't been making enough, the logic behind it being "Well, I can just play Dungeons and Dragons for real." That said, if you're not into tabletop, look at it and give it a shot. Guild Wars is also right up there, and is honestly one of the bigger WoW rivals to come into place. It's free-to-play, but REALLY deep and VERY fun, especially if you're looking for something more immediate and PvP based and you don't wanna wait for DnD to get it's ass in gear.

Other notable Free-2-Play ones are Sword of the New World (you control a three-man party in game instead of one, central character, European Colonies setting with guns, swords, magic, etc.), and if you're just looking for something to tool around with at the office you could jump on Maplestory (side-scrolling, adventure based RPG), Runescape (REALLY old Java-based MMO for cheap), or any others. Silkroad (European/Asian conflicts, without actually being European/Asian) is interesting because each respective culture has it's own class system. If you're looking for something you could pay for, City of Heroes/Villains is actually really interesting, with a very-easy-to-understand, hard-to-minmax combat system that you can customize for either fluff or hard-hitting gameplay.

If all fails, I've got a whole bunch of tabletop stuff on PDF I could send. ^^;
Insert witticism. But before I do that, I gotta throw up my Ons and Offs, right? Let's see if I can find them... AHA. Got'em.

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: jouzinka on July 21, 2009, 11:14:15 AM
For a time I was addicted to Travian.

*Giggles*  Weren't we all...

You play for a little while, somebody who has been playing the game for YEARS notices that your little town is actually making money so they decide to attack you, they take everything and leave you with nothing, you rebuild from scratch and start all over...

Travian and OGame are like a mixture of Real Time Strategy with many players playing in the same universe.  It is fun and enjoyable for a short while, but both suffer from the previous mentioned flaws.

I have played Kingdom of Loathing for almost two years.  It is fun, simple and rather addicting.  Imagine a modern version of Dragon Warrior/Quest that is constantly updated.  Very fun.

I played DragonFable for a while, but that takes some serious level grinding and I eventually lost interest.  That is an old school RPG basically running on Flash.

And even with all the backlash, I have heard good things about Maple Story.  It IS free.
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

jouzinka

Well... I meant literally addicted. Harming-my-job addicted. But for some reason I thought it was about the people around it - when one got eventually better and was accepted to some better alliances, the success smelled good and quite good groups formed around it. Or maybe that was just Czech specifics... :)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Transgirlenstein

Love Kingdom of Loathing.  I've picked it up, dropped it then picked it up so many times.  In fact..maybe its time to restart..
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Duncan

Transgirlenstein

Jinx Bluescale the Turtle Tamer is here.

Forgot aobut the Turtle Tamers ^^
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Oniya

I'm somewhat interested in this topic, mainly because I was forced to cancel my husband's LotRO account earlier this month and feel terribly guilty about it.  Unfortunately, the only contributions I could make would be kiddie MMO's.  (I'll admit it - I've been tempted to log in to play on Poptropica because of all the puzzles.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sel Nar

Navyfield ; PvP-centric Team-based Naval Battles using World War 2 Technology. Fun, challenging, and only unfair when you have a Level 120 Battleship, because ~everyone~ wants your butt in a sling. No pricetag, unless you want bonus stuff, like premium Ships

Requiem: Bloodymare ; Lineage in a Different world, with more Bio-technology, Genetic mutants, and bouncier bewbiez. Again, no pricetag.

Guild Wars is a great game, and, having played it since early beta, I can say that it's the offspring of Single-player RPG, and Co-operative MMO. Only pricetag is to buy the game itself.

AirRivals. Fully-3D Fly around and blast crap game. Grindy, but addictive, simply because of the customization varieties. (Also, one 'gear' is Nicknamed the Rapecannon because of what it does in Siege mode.)

Jeramiahh

While it's fairly kiddie-looking, Puzzle Pirates is a good, free game, that I played for a couple years, and is quick to learn, but incredibly difficult to really master.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Greenthorn

Wizards101.  All ages play it and it's an endless free trial thing.