[D&D 3.5 high-level evil campaign] Project Blackguard

Started by Autocad, December 01, 2012, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Dungeonscape.

It's basically the ultimate Jack-of-All-Trades class; rather than be all classes at severely reduced efficiency the way a Bard does it, it gets a limited per-encounter resources (Inspiration) that it can spend to temporarily mimic slightly weaker versions of other class features.

Idej

Co-DM, I might be interested in doing that.  What all will it entail?

Marie Reynolds

Well go ahead and free up a slot cause I am having character ADD. So i must withdraw from this game.

Idej

Well if a slot is open now, I would prefer to be a player over a co-DM.

TheGlyphstone

Better aim for the co-DM slot. There are now 3-4 people waiting in line, one of whom is being advocated by a guaranteed player, so whether it's first-come-first-serve or by recommendation, you'd be at the back of the line either way.

TheGlyphstone

Were we given guidelines on how to assign stats to cohorts? Or do they just use Elite Array?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 03:06:30 PM
Were we given guidelines on how to assign stats to cohorts? Or do they just use Elite Array?

I just used elite array since thats what we were given for our PC's
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

TheGlyphstone

So it shall be.

Template-stacking is fun. My Undead Cohort is a Gravetouched Ghoul Unseelie Fey Magic-Blooded High Elf Paladin of Tyranny 3/Hexblade 4. His job if I'm around is to walk up to people and give them -11 to saves, or if alone to walk up to people and claw at them until they're paralyzed with their -11 to saves, then nom flesh.

Kinda fragile though, since he only has 7 HD, even if they are D12's. Too bad our cohorts can't benefit from the super-LA rules we're using.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 06:29:25 PM
So it shall be.

Template-stacking is fun. My Undead Cohort is a Gravetouched Ghoul Unseelie Fey Magic-Blooded High Elf Paladin of Tyranny 3/Hexblade 4. His job if I'm around is to walk up to people and give them -11 to saves, or if alone to walk up to people and claw at them until they're paralyzed with their -11 to saves, then nom flesh.

Kinda fragile though, since he only has 7 HD, even if they are D12's. Too bad our cohorts can't benefit from the super-LA rules we're using.

THATS WHAT I FORGOT!

TheGlyphstone

What, making your Undead Cohort undead? You technically don't have to, which is why I figured you didn't.

Or Unseelie Fey?

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 06:35:45 PM
What, making your Undead Cohort undead? You technically don't have to, which is why I figured you didn't.

No, giving Tristeria Unseelie Fey.

I think im going to tweak the Dvati a bit more. Also do two paladin of tyrrany auras stack , because my Dvati has a similar save debuffing thing going on.

TheGlyphstone

Frankly, I don't think you'd really want the template. You've already soaked all the LA you can afford, so getting more templates means losing actual class levels, and Unseelie Fey doesn't offer anything to a Wizard. Even Chill of Winter could be more harm than help, since it forces you to close to melee range.

As for the Auras of Despair...I don't know. If it was actually two separate characters, I'd say definitely...it's a untyped penalty from different sources, so it should stack. But Dvati are really really weird - according to their Dragon Magazine writeup, you 'treat them as one character sharing two bodies'. It's DM final ruling, but I'd consider it to overlap instead of stack, the same way a Large creature doesn't take -4 if its body occupies two separate squares covered by the aura...it's still only one Aura of Dispair, it just has two simultaneous emanation points.

Autocad

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 06:45:54 PM
Frankly, I don't think you'd really want the template. You've already soaked all the LA you can afford, so getting more templates means losing actual class levels, and Unseelie Fey doesn't offer anything to a Wizard. Even Chill of Winter could be more harm than help, since it forces you to close to melee range.

As for the Auras of Despair...I don't know. If it was actually two separate characters, I'd say definitely...it's a untyped penalty from different sources, so it should stack. But Dvati are really really weird - according to their Dragon Magazine writeup, you 'treat them as one character sharing two bodies'. It's DM final ruling, but I'd consider it to overlap instead of stack, the same way a Large creature doesn't take -4 if its body occupies two separate squares covered by the aura...it's still only one Aura of Dispair, it just has two simultaneous emanation points.

Well first Unseelie Fey is LA +0 so it doesn't affect that at all. I have an immense Charisma and a few things that already promote me getting into meele range once I disable a victim.

The Aura of despair I was more referring to your cohort and mine rather then both my cohorts bodies. He will be putting out a -6 to saves from the aura of tyranny and 2 vestiges.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on December 12, 2012, 06:49:02 PM
Well first Unseelie Fey is LA +0 so it doesn't affect that at all. I have an immense Charisma and a few things that already promote me getting into meele range once I disable a victim.

The Aura of despair I was more referring to your cohort and mine rather then both my cohorts bodies. He will be putting out a -6 to saves from the aura of tyranny and 2 vestiges.

Technically true. If you're playing a Unseelie Fey Gnome Warrior with the Summer's Caress ability, it's LA +0. In the Unseelie Fey Characters section, they forgot to even give it a +CR or a +LA rating, so by utter-strict RAW it's impossible to apply to any PC creature other than a 1st-level Gnome Warrior.*

I treated it as a +1 LA to make it equal to the Seelie Fey's +1 CR, since there is no way in hell Unseelie Fey is balanced at +0 LA/CR.

*Correction: It was errataed to be +1 CR, no LA given.

PaleEnchantress

I really like Phenric for Jerion (the Dvati) it will delay his FoP powers but make them a lot better when he can fully use them.

TheGlyphstone

It's also going to make him incredibly fragile, by the looks of it...he'll be at 6HD if you put Phrenic on him (them? What's his twin's name?)

For Autocad, if a ruling is needed on Unseelie Fey's LA (two characters using it so far)
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 06:59:30 PM
It's also going to make him incredibly fragile, by the looks of it...he'll be at 6HD if you put Phrenic on him (them? What's his twin's name?)

For Autocad, if a ruling is needed on Unseelie Fey's LA (two characters using it so far)
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml

They both share one name

TheGlyphstone

Which brings up the all-important question...when they screw themselves, is it incest, or complex masturbation?

Also, what vestiges are you using? I'm trying to work out the math behind your save penalties (so I can steal the good bits) - Aura of Tyranny gives a -2...The 3rd-level Focalor would give a -2, but you can only bind 2nd-level vestiges with your effective binder level of 1+2=3, and only one at a time (damn Dvati are confusing as hell, again). Even if you had a second slot, the only other vestige giving aura penalties is Chupoclops, who is way out of Jerion's reach.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 07:08:40 PM
Which brings up the all-important question...when they screw themselves, is it incest, or complex masturbation?

Also, what vestiges are you using? I'm trying to work out the math behind your save penalties (so I can steal the good bits) - Aura of Tyranny gives a -2...The 3rd-level Focalor would give a -2, but you can only bind 2nd-level vestiges with your effective binder level of 1+2=3, and only one at a time (damn Dvati are confusing as hell, again). Even if you had a second slot, the only other vestige giving aura penalties is Chupoclops, who is way out of Jerion's reach.

They claim it's both though when people get upset over it then revert to "It's just masturbation" defense. Being masochistic they got some fame performing for some very corrupt and decadent patrons.

His effective Binder level is 5 for what vestiges he can bind. I also know he isn't starting with the -6 penalty infliction thats for later.

TheGlyphstone

How are you getting effective level 5? 1 binder level, +2 from the Improved Binder feat, where's the other +2?

I just took the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige feats to get Focalor without any Binder levels at all.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 07:14:53 PM
How are you getting effective level 5? 1 binder level, +2 from the Improved Binder feat, where's the other +2?

I just took the Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige feats to get Focalor without any Binder levels at all.

Binder 1 +2 Improved Binding +2 Bloodline

TheGlyphstone

Ooh, Bloodline. Okay, that makes sense, and unfortunately is not something I can afford to steal. Oh well.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 12, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
Ooh, Bloodline. Okay, that makes sense, and unfortunately is not something I can afford to steal. Oh well.

GRUMPSTONE I LOVE YOU! *MUAH! hugsandkisses* You don't have to know why but do know I was wondering about my feelings toward you and now decided your incorporeal brain is just adorable!