Mass Effect AU/Alternate Timeline Game

Started by Cold Heritage, December 26, 2012, 09:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AribethAmkiir

Still working on the Character Sheet.  Finding a picture of an Asari in adequate armor is a bit difficult.  lol.

Countdown0

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 01, 2013, 05:24:04 AM
Still working on the Character Sheet.  Finding a picture of an Asari in adequate armor is a bit difficult.  lol.

Does she have to be wearing armor... or anything at all? :P

But seriously, I didn't use a picture. I don't think you HAVE to use use a picture.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

AribethAmkiir

I know I don't have to.  I would like to, but that's not what's holding things up.  Need to decide upon her weapons and armor.  I'm thinking assault rifle and pistol.  Just need to decide on the details.

Braioch

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 31, 2012, 06:24:10 PM
The tech-based classes do not have much in the way of representation.

Hey!

My guy's a sentinel based class!
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Braioch on January 03, 2013, 07:37:58 PM
Hey!

My guy's a sentinel based class!

That was a quantitative, not qualitative statement. :)
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Countdown0

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 04, 2013, 08:50:14 PM
That was a quantitative, not qualitative statement. :)

It could be qualitative. Engineers are better at tech than Sentinels. They also have shotguns! :D
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Cold Heritage

Yeah, but Braioch is a fancy, classy lad.

TheRedFear

Name: Charles Vargas
Species: Human
Sex: Male
Sexual Orientation: Hetero
Service Affiliation: Alliance

Class: Slayer/Vanguard

Powers: Flare, Biotic Charge, Pull, Throw, Biotic Punch, Shockwave, Nova

Equipment Loadout: Reckoner Knight Armor(Won in a bet with a friend stationed in Rhode Island), N7 Hurricane(Ultralight Materials, High Velocity Barrel) and N7 Crusader(Blade Attachment and High Caliber Barrel)

Skills: Unarmed Combat is his number one specialty, but he is also a highly intelligent tactician and strategist. He thrives where the chaos is at it's worst, rapidly adapting to changing conditions in the battlefield and resourcefully exploiting whatever resources the environment provides him. Off the battlefield he's a surprisingly good chef(making him very popular throughout his military career for his pheneomenal ability to make feild rations palatable), and plays an acoustic guitar for recreation.

Appearance: 
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

History: Vargas came from a large and wealthy family in spain. In fact his family comes from an old bloodline that can be traced all the way back to Al Cid Campeador. Victor often found stories of Cid inspirational and aspired to be like him throughout his childhood. He commited himself to his academic studies throughout his youth, and always planned to join the Alliance military as soon as he was old enough. Discovering his biotic aptitude only sped that process along.

The commitment to excellence that had spurred him throughout his youth only intensified in the Alliance Biotics program. His agressive yet strategic characteristics made him a natural choice for Vanguard training. He took to it as if he were born for it, blending just the right combination of 'crazy' and 'brilliance' that seperates a good Vanguard from a dead Vanguard. Vargas made his reputation in the alliance during the Skyllian Blitz, where he almost single-handedly held Elysium long enough for the Alliance Navy to arrive and win the day. He was given a bit of downtime, and as soon as he returned to active duty he was ordered back to earth to join the N7 Program.

Over the course of his career he found that he loved the visceral rush of close-quarters combat. He began to focus his training on mastering multiple forms of unarmed combat, and started to develope his own personal and unique fighting style blending biotics and hand-to-hand combat. The first few times he used it in the field during the N6 phase of his training proved devastatingly effective, and caught the attention of all the right people, especially Admiral Hackett. He was already going to make N7 after the Blitz. Developing a brand new combat-proven fighting style just put him over the top.

There are many in the upper levels of Alliance brass who say if it hadn't been Sheperd, it would have been Vargas. It was a coin toss between the two at one point, but Sheperd's personal and professional relationship with Captain Anderson...who's opinion carried a great deal of weight since he was the last candidate for humanity's first Council Spectre...edged Vargas out. It didn't help that Vargas had breifly put his own field career on hold for a year when the Alliance asked him to teach his new fighting style to other N7 Vanguards. Much of what Vargas developed is now used in the training of N7 Slayers as well. With the emergence of the Reaper threat, Hackett personally pulled Vargas back out of the classroom and put him back in the field. Which suits Vargas just fine. He's itching to field-test a few new ideas he's had for improving the potence of his biotic strikes.

Personality: At his heart, Vargas is a good man. He generally tries to do the "right thing" as best as he can figure it, honor his commitments, and be diplomatic in his dealings with others...up to a point. Good traits in an officer who sometimes has to play a diplomatic role. But once the Biotics are flaring, the grenades are exploding, the fists are flying, and the guns are blazing he becomes a pure soldier, focused entirely on bringing a swift, decisive, and victorious conclusion to the conflict. And if he feels someone has used him, exploited him, played him, or otherwise taken advantage of him there's a good chance he'll biotically punch them through a bulkhead. As long as they don't outrank him.

Theme Song: "You Can't Take Me" - Wolf's Rain

The "Default" Sheperd uses the Sole Survivor origin if memory serves, so I figured that left the "Hero of Elysium" slot wide open. Hehe.

Florence

Not that I mind there being another vanguard or anything, but Vanna's already a Slayer... it just seems a bit much to have two of the exact same ME3 multiplayer class, considering how many potential fighting styles there are.

I see that he has his own style of hand-to-hand, but it just... still seems a tad similar to me.

Its up to the GM though, either way, I'm still on board :>
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Cold Heritage

I'm inclined to allow it. Unfortunately, being a freeform game, there's very little I can do to allay your concerns - without mechanical distinctions as exist in the video game, there's very little in place to enforce distinction even if TheRedFear's character were a different type of Vanguard. And more importantly I think that TheRedFear is set to play a very different character, with a very personality, outlook, and personal goals. How a character fights is important, particularly in this sort of game, but how character behave and relate to the narrative and plot are ultimately more important and I think the weight behind my decision should ultimately derive from that in this case.

Now, if someone else came along with a third Slayer Vanguard . . . well, you guys would either get to see Blatant Favouritism and Abuse Of GM Power in action, or I'd ask for a change.

TheRedFear

I havn't played a Slayer yet, but I just watched some youtbue vids of a Slayer in action.

Is it correct to say that Biotic Slash is just Shockwave, but channeled through the sword? A ranged AOE attack that knocked the crap out of whatever it hits?

If so, other than incorporating some of the more stylistic elements of the Slayer(I like the "Porting effect", though the "Biotic dash" asari commandos use in their evasive maneuvers would be just as good. Same thing as a combat roll, just cooler looking) I may just shift Vargas into more of a pure vanguard. Much as I like swords, real men just punch the Reapers to death. :)

They do seem to benefit from a more stylish light melee combo but again that seems more a stylistic thing. No reason I can't RP Vargas's melee style being just as stylish.

Florence

That's fine :>

Like I said, I'm still on board. I don't mind the competition, I just wanted to point it out so we don't get too many people using nearly identical styles, when we barely have any tech characters.

Though Vanna WILL make fun of your armor :P That's nothing personal, its just the Reckoner Knight armor does look a little silly xD

And we still need giiiirls D:

Poor Vanna's still a lesbian on a ship full of meeeen D:
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

42ftw

Braioch

Quote from: Countdown0 on January 04, 2013, 09:20:01 PM
It could be qualitative. Engineers are better at tech than Sentinels. They also have shotguns! :D

Yes, but Sentinels are classy tanks, and also are the best at kiting and debuffing...

Lord save me, I nerd spoke. V.V
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Cold Heritage

Since a couple people had some troubles making characters for this, one of whom was fairly crucial, and there were problems in interest anyway, I'm just call this off for now. Maybe I'll come back to it another time, or try something in a similar vein not beholden to this fandom. Sorry.