Why you should not trust Wikipedia.

Started by Mnemaxa, May 11, 2009, 09:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

How recent is JSTOR these days?  I haven't checked them out in a while.

Usually I stick to EBSCO's MLA Bibliography, our state-wide library catalog, and Worldcat (a little big and slightly unwieldy, but ya can't beat accessing virtually every library in the world) for academic stuff.  I've been learning to sort of like Academic Search Complete recently too.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Trieste

If I recall correctly, JSTOR is current up until 4 years ago (so right now they'd be updated up to 2005; during research for a recent paper I was able to find some few scattered articles in there from 2006) which, for a biochem major, is only good for generalized papers and background on lab reports. If I want something more recent, it has to be ... well, our school pushes us toward Pubmed, but I really dislike Pubmed, so I'm still experimenting with other databases.

Vandren

Good to know.  I lost access to JSTOR when I changed institutions.  The current place doesn't have the funding or interest in subscribing to much of anything as far as databases go.  Yet another reason to hope I'm not here too much longer.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Trieste

Your public library system doesn't give you access of some sort?

Vandren

Nah, they're not on JSTOR either.  Which is a little odd, since they're one of the top metropolitan systems in the country.  Honestly, I haven't really missed it that much.

Trieste

I meant to some of the more useful databases of scholarly work. Usually libraries have the American Journal of Pathology or the Lancet or something.

Erm.

Sorry... /hijack

Vandren

Oh, sure.  The school's got access to quite a few databases and electronic journals, not as many as my last institution, but not too bad.  I'm not sure if they've got AJP or Lancet or whatnot, since that's not my field.  :)

/hijack

Indigo

Pretty fucking obvious.

do/say/promote (Insert Right-Wing or Left-Wing political agenda concerning the Following-take one! 'This weeks T.V. moment/highlight of the hour/top political belief', the latest young republican/democratic female sex scandel/ Who was caught shopping somewhere other then a 'farmers market'

Never the twix shall meet,
unless they stumble horribly
Into reality."

Did any of that make sense? If so...I obviously have incredibly outdone the wild, whacky newsie source of the amazing online hogwash press.

Long live, yes...I said long live...Independance.

(*Everything above is the perfect Wiki page, isn't it?...yes...yes it is....especially for me...the long lived Independant*)

setojurai

Trust the Computer, the Computer is your Friend.

Happiness is Mandatory.

Please report all Treasonous activities to your local VULTURE Operative.

Report all Communists to the Computer immediately.  Failure to report Communists within 0.000001 seconds is Treason.  Failure to report Treason is Treason.

Have a nice day in Alpha Complex!