A Greek Odyssey {Always Recruiting}

Started by Lurking, November 27, 2013, 03:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurking

Links
OOC
Approved Character List

Introduction
I have always been in love with Greek mythology and it hit me the other day that I have never been in a role-play based on it. So I decided to create one.

The role-play is set in the city of Athens, Ancient Greece, where the Gods watch over the mortals and their little lives, sometimes with kindness, but often with contempt and terrible wrath.

Overview
A Greek Odyssey is part sandbox and part Pathfinder-esque quests, although this is not pathfinder so no experience of that system is required. Quests are the backbone to this role-play, unlocking new things for the game as you go, including new areas for your characters to explore and new types of characters available to play. The only rule of importance, besides the usual role-playing rules, is there is a two paragraph minimum requirement per post. Three paragraphs on average would be better, more would be great. But two is the minimum. If you cannot stick to that on every post, then I’m sorry but this game is not for you.

Humble Beginnings
The game starts off small. We begin our story with the everyday humans who live and trade in the city square. Butchers, blacksmiths, slaves and whores. Each player starts with one character, a citizen of Athens with no particular skills or talents other then those associated with their profession. These characters all have one thing in common, a desire to leave the safety of the city and venture into lands unknown in search of something. What they are all searching for will be different, be it gold, glory, power or simply a curiosity of what lives beyond their sheltered lives, it does not matter, the place they look will be the same, the Quest Board.

The Quest Board
People from all over the realm will post jobs on the quest board, complete with tantalising rewards. At first the quests available to your villagers will be small, a lost necklace, a stolen goat, but as your characters level up more quests will become available, until they find themselves attempting to complete quests posted by the Gods themselves. All quests are purely voluntary, you can decide to leave your character at home if you prefer. Sometimes two quests will happen at once offering very different rewards from each other and your character will have to choose which quests to take, if either. The quests will be a mixture of more general related quests, like finding a ring, and quests taken out of my Greek myth book. At some point, for example, some of the characters are going to volunteer themselves as tribute to King Minos of Crete, to be fed to the fearsome minotaur he keeps in his labyrinth. Their goal will be to slay the mighty creature, free as many of the other tributes as they can, and return home safely. Of course if they fail then they will be doomed to roam the labyrinth until the minotaur eats them or they starve to death, but lets not dwell on that.

Venturing out into the World
In this game, the more you play the more you gain. We start off with one thread, the city square, with new areas (threads) appearing as quests require your characters to venture there. Once the quest is completed the area stays open for all characters to explore, at their own peril. You will also come across new characters, people or creatures that do not reside inside the main city, some of whom will decide to join your group and come back to the square with you. This is where you will have to opportunity to play more then one character, and those that are different from the everyday humans of Athens. Unlockable characters will come with their own stats, levels and unique abilities.

History vs Fantasy
I am not a historian. My references for this game comes from a children’s book of Greek myths that I’ve had since I was eight, which I love dearly, and the wonder that is google. I will always be happy to look up historical facts as and when I need to, but this is primarily a fantasy game and there will most likely be historical inaccuracies (apart from the harpies flying around, I mean). If you find any feel free to call me on it, I enjoy learning new things, but I may or may not make a big deal about changing it depending on how it fits in with the story. One historical benefit of this being set in Ancient Greece is that the Greek’s weren’t as hung up on sexuality as we are now days, so LGBTQ characters are very welcome and would be readily accepted by the citizens of Athens. 

Combat System
This game comes complete with its own combat system created by yours truly. It is based off of Pathfinder, but as I have very little experience of pathfinder I have simplified it down and changed it about to suit my own needs. Your characters start off with very few points to spend on their stats as the game is more forcing your characters to ‘learn by doing’. Points are earned every time you level up, with specific ability or attribute points being earned either during quests or as a reward for completing them. New abilities will be unlocked during quests as well, some of which you can add points to when you level up, others you will have to complete more quests to add more points to.

System Explained
For each action that requires the character to use the system a 3d6 roll will be made (or 3, six sided dice will be rolled, for those of us that don't speak tabletop rpg), and that roll will be added to the points put into both the attribute assigned to the ability, and the ability score itself.
i.e. To start a fire, the attribute assigned to that ability is intuition, so add the ability score to the intuition score to the 3d6 roll, which will decide if you were successful in starting a fire or not.

For some abilities they have two attributes required. (Hand to Hand  {Str/Dex} or Endurance {Int & Con}) For those with a / between them, you get to choose which attribute to use (i.e. whichever one is higher). For those with an & between them you halve both attributes and use them both.

You can find the link to the E dice bot at the top of every page, on the tabs at the very top ('main', 'forum', 'blogs', etc). You will then go to a page where you can change the details for what sort of roll you want to play. Including how many dice you want to roll (3) and how many sides you want them to have (6). Then there's a comment section, please try to remember to write your character's name and what the roll relates to in that section. Then once you've rolled, you need to click on the link that says 'View your rolls', then click on the 'roll ID' for the roll you just did. You can then take that url and post it along with your roll, it will link everyone in the game to the roll itself.

How to Join
We have an open recruitment, new members are free to join at anytime. Please post below if you are interested in joining and wait to be accepted. Once accepted you can fill out a character sheet and post it here for approval. Once approved you can post it in our approved character thread, and then you’re free to jump right into the role-play. Questions are of course very welcome as well.

Character Sheet

[float=left][img]PICTURE HERE[/img][float=left]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender and Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]Profession:[/b]
[b]Player’s On & Offs:[/b] {Please post the link to your on and offs here}
[b]Character’s On & Offs:[/b] {O/Os specific to the character you are playing}
[b]Appearance[/b] {If there’s anything we can’t tell from their picture}
[b]Personality[/b]
[b]History:[/b] {Optional}

System Sheet
Attributes {the top four}: 5 points to spend.
Abilities: {the rest} 10 points to spend. Maximum points per ability: 3

Level: 1
Experience: 0
Gold: 200

Strength: 2     Dexterity: 2     Intuition: 2     Condition: 2 

[table]
[tr][td]
[table][tr][td][u][b]Weapons-Full Damage[/b][/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sword & Shield: 1  {Str & Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Two Handed Sword: 1 {Str}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Two, One Handed Swords: 1 {Dex}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Axe: 1  {Str}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Crossbow: 1  {Str & Dex}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Spear: 1  {Str & Dex}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][u][b]Weapons-Half Damage[/b][/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hand to Hand: 1  {Str/Dex}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Bow & Arrow: 1  {Dex}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Knife: 1  {Dex}[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[/td]

[td]
[table][tr][td][u][b]Physical[/b][/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hit Points: 1 {Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Dodge: 1  {Dex & Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Block: 1  {Str & Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Swim: 1  {Str/Dex & Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Climb: 1  {Str/Dex & Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Sprint: 1  {Str/Dex & Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Weight-Lifting: 1  {Str & Con}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Endurance: 1  {Int & Con}[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[/td]

[td]
[table][tr][td][u][b]Tactical[/b][/u][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Set Trap: 1  {Dex & Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Disarm Trap: 1  {Dex & Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Start Fire: 1  {Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Track: 1  {Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Hunt: 1  {Str/Dex & Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Fish: 1  {Dex & Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Natural Medicine: 1  {Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stealth: 1  {Dex & Int}[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Perception: 1  {Int}[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][/tr][/table]
On Hiatus

Lurking

On Hiatus

PhantomPistoleer

Aww, man.  I am expressing interest.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Faeli

I am certainly all over some interest as well

kckolbe

Have to head to work, but also a fan of Greek mythology.  Also, some cool people here so far.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

PhantomPistoleer

Name:  Diomedes the Shepherd
Player:  Phantom
Gender and Sexual Orientation: Male Heterosexual
Profession:  Shepherd
Player’s On & Offs:  O/O
Character’s On & Offs:  Inexperienced
Appearance:  Diomedes possesses the appearance of a man accustomed to hard work and the consumption of a hardy meal.  His chiseled countenance is framed by taut cheekbones, a square chin and a low brow, with an aquiline nose.  His eyes, sunken in, are of an icy green.
Personality:  Diomedes is a bit naive about city life, and is generally unaccustomed to speaking with others.  However, he is full of piss and vinegar.
History: Diomedes is the son of a freed man, who was granted in his former master's will four acres of land along the north bank of the Eridanos River.  His father worked the land, but was unable to produce anything on it.  His father then tried his hand raising a flock of sheep and goats, but the labor mostly rested upon Diomedes.  So, being that Diomedes was the only son still remaining after the many Athenian wars, and it being the case that his father was too feeble to tend to the flock, Diomedes tended to the needs of the animals at a very early age.  It could be said that Diomedes was raised on the countryside, chasing after rogue sheep across vast distances and climbing after goats along steep cliffs.  Diomedes was capable of lifting a ram over his shoulders at the age of eight, and steer an ox by the horns at the age of ten.  He was strong and hardy, and his work had made him so quick.

When his father passed away and the land was passed on to him, Diomedes sold it to pursue his dream for adventure.  Though he had few possessions, he was able to raise 200 gold coins to acquire his initial kit.  He is recently arrived to Athens, a strange city full of great wonders.  But he definitely misses home.

Strength: 4     Dexterity: 2     Intuition: 3     Condition: 4 

Weapons-Full Damage
Sword & Shield: 1 {Str & Con}
Two Handed Sword: 1 {Str}
Two, One Handed Swords: 1 {Dex}
Axe: 1  {Str}
Spear: 3  {Str & Dex}
Crossbow:  1 {Str & Dex}
Weapons-Half Damage
Hand to Hand: 1  {Str/Dex}
Bow & Arrow: 1  {Dex}
Knife: 2  {Dex}

Physical
Hit Points: 2 {Con}
Dodge: 1  {Dex & Int}
Block: 1  {Str & Con}
Swim: 1  {Str/Dex & Con}
Climb: 2  {Str/Dex & Con}
Sprint: 2  {Str/Dex & Con}
Weight-Lifting: 2  {Str & Con}
Endurance: 2  {Int & Con}

Tactical
Set Trap: 1  {Dex & Int}
Disarm Trap: 1  {Dex & Int}
Start Fire: 1  {Int}
Track: 2  {Int}
Hunt: 1  {Str/Dex & Int}
Fish: 1  {Dex & Int}
Natural Medicine: 1  {Int}
Stealth: 1  {Dex & Int}
Perception: 2  {Int}
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Belisuavious

I wish I had the time for this! Best of luck though, I'll definitely be following along to see how things go!

Faeli

Name:  Sabina the Waif
Player:  Faeli
Gender and Sexual Orientation: Female Bisexual
Profession:  Thief
Character’s On & Offs:  Sabina secretly enjoys being punished for her crimes, though she'd never admit it.
Appearance:  Sabina makes frequent use of the public baths.  There have been enough times in her life when she had to sell herself, or even offer herself to an irate captor in order to keep from being sent to the pits, that the woman is quite aware of the importance of remaining desirable.  She keeps her weapons sheathed inside her boots, as she has learned that obvious weaponry only leads to increased attention. 
Personality:  Sabina is extremely conceited and quite self-assured.  She can be stealthy, but she has a lot more fun simply grabbing what she needs and running, enjoying the thrill of the chase.  She also greatly enjoys flirting with people who aren't in a position to take her up on her "offers."
History: Sabina has no idea who her parents were and has had to grow up upon the marbled and polished streets of Athens.  She is used to the city, and aware that the city admires beauty, and so she has grown into a woman horrifically interested in her own image, and with a certain code to thievery.  She does not steal from people, only displays, and she never draws her weapons except in self defense.

She has slowly become increasingly well-known, and the increased attention is forcing her to make more and more deals in exchange for her safety.  This continuance has slowly lead her to consider leaving Athens for the first time... to head out to areas unknown to her, where a more comfortable life theoretically awaits.

Strength: 2     Dexterity: 5     Intuition: 3     Condition: 3 

Weapons-Full Damage
Two, One Handed Swords: 3 {Dex}
Spear: 1  {Str & Dex}
Crossbow: 1 {Str & Dex}
Weapons-Half Damage
Hand to Hand: 2  {Str/Dex}
Knife: 1  {Dex}

Physical
Hit Points: 1 {Con}
Dodge: 3  {Dex & Int}
Weight-Lifting: 1  {Str & Con}
Endurance: 1  {Int & Con}

Tactical
Track: 1  {Int}
Stealth: 3  {Dex & Int}
[/quote]

Kdyami

Sweet. I was just musibg greek....where did I put that free writting.....

Oh!! Yeah. I'm interested.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

Lurking

Well, everyone who has expressed an interest so far is more then welcome to join.

Phantom & Faeli, your characters look great and are approved!
I see you guys added spear to the list. It wasn't actually on the original list, but it certainly seems a good weapon to add so I have added it to the list. If you could both just add in 'crossbow' to your abilities, just above the spear, then that would be great.

*glomps Kdyami* Woo. Good to have you on board, looking forward to seeing what character you come up with. ^.^
On Hiatus

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Faeli on November 28, 2013, 01:10:29 AM
Name:  Sabina the Waif
Player:  Faeli
Gender and Sexual Orientation: Female Bisexual
Profession:  Thief
Character’s On & Offs:  Sabina secretly enjoys being punished for her crimes, though she'd never admit it.
Appearance:  Sabina makes frequent use of the public baths.  There have been enough times in her life when she had to sell herself, or even offer herself to an irate captor in order to keep from being sent to the pits, that the woman is quite aware of the importance of remaining desirable.  She keeps her weapons sheathed inside her boots, as she has learned that obvious weaponry only leads to increased attention. 
Personality:  Sabina is extremely conceited and quite self-assured.  She can be stealthy, but she has a lot more fun simply grabbing what she needs and running, enjoying the thrill of the chase.  She also greatly enjoys flirting with people who aren't in a position to take her up on her "offers."
History: Sabina has no idea who her parents were and has had to grow up upon the marbled and polished streets of Athens.  She is used to the city, and aware that the city admires beauty, and so she has grown into a woman horrifically interested in her own image, and with a certain code to thievery.  She does not steal from people, only displays, and she never draws her weapons except in self defense.

She has slowly become increasingly well-known, and the increased attention is forcing her to make more and more deals in exchange for her safety.  This continuance has slowly lead her to consider leaving Athens for the first time... to head out to areas unknown to her, where a more comfortable life theoretically awaits.

Strength: 2     Dexterity: 5     Intuition: 3     Condition: 3 

Weapons-Full Damage
Two, One Handed Swords: 3 {Dex}
Weapons-Half Damage
Hand to Hand: 2  {Str/Dex}

Physical
Hit Points: 1 {Con}
Dodge: 3  {Dex & Int}
Weight-Lifting: 1  {Str & Con}
Endurance: 1  {Int & Con}

Tactical
Stealth: 3  {Dex & Int}

I love your character, Faeli!  Look forward to playing with you.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheHangedOne

I'm interested in playing. I'll have a sheet up before the day is through.

Name: Alcaeus Anatolius
Player: TheHangedMan
Gender and Sexual Orientation: Male, heterosexual
Profession: Blacksmith
Player’s On & Offs: Here
Character’s On & Offs: Same as players
Appearance: Hair is black and short, eyes are green.
Personality: Can be a bit rough around the edges, with a grim sense of humor, but generally a nice fellow. Holds his liquor well. Quite smart. Strives to uphold the Stoic philosophy, with mixed results.
History: His father was a blacksmith. His grandfather was a blacksmith. His older brother? Also, a blacksmith. Not surprisingly, Alcaeus has learned from his father the time-honored tradition of turning ore into metal, and metal into implements; of creation, of protection, and of destruction. He enjoys a modicum of wealth, and has a respectable local reputation.

However, life at the smithy became rather boring; for as a child, he loved, more than anything else, to listen to the old stories. About the gods and goddesses, the heroes, the legendary beasts... he yearned to see the world, to see the things spoken of in tales. And, seeing as he was not the only son--in fact, being the youngest of two-- He was able to slip away one day, in pursuit of his childhood dreams: of being a hero.

Strength: 3     Dexterity: 3     Intuition: 3     Condition: 4 

Weapons-Full Damage
Sword & Shield: 3  {Str & Con}
Two, One Handed Swords: 1 {Dex}
Crossbow: 1  {Str & Dex}
Weapons-Half Damage
Hand to Hand: 1  {Str/Dex}

Physical
Hit Points: 2 {Con}
Dodge: 1  {Dex & Int}
Climb: 1  {Str/Dex & Con}
Sprint: 1  {Str/Dex & Con}
Weight-Lifting: 3  {Str & Con}
Endurance: 3  {Int & Con}

Tactical
Start Fire: 2  {Int}
Natural Medicine: 2  {Int}
Stealth: 1  {Dex & Int}
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Lurking

Alcaeus looks great, he's approved! Welcome to the game, HangedMan. ^.^
On Hiatus

TheHangedOne

Thanks, Lurking. I just did a slight tweak of his history, just so you know.
Check out my poet tree!

Lurking

The added bit to his history is great, I always like a would be hero.
On Hiatus

TheHangedOne

Thanks.  By the way, I noticed we have starting gold, but no starting equipment? What's going on with that?
Check out my poet tree!

Lurking

The starting gold will be used to buy the starting equipment once the game is started/once I actually get an equipment list set up.
On Hiatus

TheHangedOne

Okay. Would you like some help with that? :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Lurking

I think I'm ok at the moment, thanks. Recruitment will be open for a little while longer, to give people a chance to get over the holidays before the rp begins, so I should have plenty of time to get it up. But if I find I need any help I'll be sure to let you know. :)
On Hiatus

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Lurking on November 28, 2013, 08:35:58 AM
Well, everyone who has expressed an interest so far is more then welcome to join.

Phantom & Faeli, your characters look great and are approved!
I see you guys added spear to the list. It wasn't actually on the original list, but it certainly seems a good weapon to add so I have added it to the list. If you could both just add in 'crossbow' to your abilities, just above the spear, then that would be great.

*glomps Kdyami* Woo. Good to have you on board, looking forward to seeing what character you come up with. ^.^

The spear was the most popular weapon used on the battlefield in the Ancient World.  But the crossbow didn't appear until two thousand years later.  Fun story!  The crossbow was so deadly that it was banished by the Vatican.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: TheHangedMan on November 28, 2013, 05:52:03 PM
Speaking of the subject of ancient crossbows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastraphetes

I stand corrected!  I definitely did not think that the Ancient Greeks had crossbows.  I will amend!
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Kdyami

I'm thinking about a young dock worker that is tired of hearing about adventure and wants to go live some for himself.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP