News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Sister Wives on TLC

Started by DarkAngel, October 31, 2011, 11:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Now I'm not one for tv shows except the normals that I watch . But then I rather watch a movie.. But this Reality tv show has caught my eye. Not because its average . Because its something you don't normally see in your everyday life or the fact that most people would just say that is so wrong.. This show has made these peoples life hell because they could go to jail for Bigamy. Now that being said.. The fact the man has not one wife but four .. Yes four. Intrigues me..  I'm one of those people to each their own and so on.. But to have four wives and 17 odd kids... Seems so out there but its part of their realigon and how they grew up...

Any views on this?

Jacqueline

If it’s real then I'm not sure if it's legal but anyway, the social and psychological repercussions that this non-traditional family (just trying to find a proper name to refer to it, no offense intended) receives probably outweighs any hopes of breaking the taboo even if they think that it’s worth it, which I don’t know either. Although I imagine that they're getting paid for airing their lives on a TV-show too, that must make things a little easier for such a large family... which makes me wonder if that was the main reason for doing the TV-show in the first place.

HockeyGod

It's attempting to show a non-cult-like version of polygamy. I've watched it once or twice and have lots of questions...like...

How do they afford 4 houses?
How do they afford 4 LCD LED TVs?
How do they afford all the nice clothes?

Ok...all my questions are about  money, but it makes you wonder.

I wanted to see the episode where they went back to the guy's hometown, but one of his friends was depicted as quite stupid. I felt as though TLC edited it quite well to make it look like non-polygamists were closed-minded bigots.

I believe they are still part of the FLDS. I have no comments on that.