News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Chromebook

Started by Flower, October 05, 2016, 06:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Hey! It's your friendly neighborhood Flower.

I am currently on the hunt for a Chromebook. I mostly intend to use it for writing purposes when I am away from home. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good one? I refuse to spend more than $300 bucks. I would like for it to be reasonably light. My purse is already super heavy with my lunch, books, and other crap. Umm. The look of it doesn't really matter to me. I just need it to be responsive. I hate when I feel like I am moving too fast for a computer to keep up with.

Vekseid

This is my chromebook, I likes it a lot.

There is a 4GB ram version which is better - I do run out of memory with a lot of tabs open, and need to be careful doing too much. Prices can vary dramatically depending on time, too.

Note that this is the SSD version. If you are looking for it to be responsive, that is what you want.

If I use it for too long I find myself trying to touch my screen on my actual proper laptops >_>

Wistful Dream

This is mine.

I've had mine for over a year now and it still runs like a dream. I love that it fits into my purse, it's small, light weight and so easy to use. Mister has threatened to steal it from me a time or two. I've taken it on planes and car rides and written with it, also taken it to the coffee shop and libraries and it works really smoothly. I love that I can still access the google apps offline, like say Google Docs to write in, and then when I connect to WiFi next it syncs right away. It also has two usb plug ins, which is good since my wireless mouse always uses one.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Vekseid on October 06, 2016, 02:00:28 AM
This is my chromebook, I likes it a lot.

There is a 4GB ram version which is better - I do run out of memory with a lot of tabs open, and need to be careful doing too much. Prices can vary dramatically depending on time, too.

Note that this is the SSD version. If you are looking for it to be responsive, that is what you want.

If I use it for too long I find myself trying to touch my screen on my actual proper laptops >_>

I used to own an Acer Chromebook a lot like this, only it was pink.  ;D I've had overheating issues with full sized Acer laptops in the past, but not the Chromebook. The charger was a bit finnicky, but I used mine for years and sold it on when I was done with it. I found I seldom used mine when I was out and about, but I took it with me when I travelled, and mainly just used it like a regular computer most of the time (and I can spend a lot of time on the comptuer). It stood up to that.

Flower

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your experiences! I'm going to keep those options in mind as I continue to shop around. 💝

Beguile's Mistress

My current laptop is giving me problems and I've been shopping around for a new one.  This thread has given me a new direction to look at as well.  Thank you.

Flower

I thought I should post here a mini update. After some research, I purchased the Acer Chromebook 14. I originally wanted the Toshiba Chromebook 2 but it's no longer being sold.

I'm going to try it out on my commute and see how I like it. I tried it this morning and managed to get some writing done. I did have a minor glitch where it kind of shut off abruptly though fully charged. I'm not sure if it was my sleep induced mind but I couldn't figure out how to turn it back on.

I think I was pressing the wrong button. I'm used to using my SO's happy where the power button is on the left and not the right. Or... It could be a shit device. Either way, I can test it out for about two weeks and return it if it doesn't work out.

Anyways, thank you, everyone, for your input.