News:

Main Menu

Mass Effect: Future

Started by Deamonbane, November 04, 2015, 01:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

No, no you can't do that, Owl. I don't care how smart you think the whole galactic Citadel is. That's not how they work. You use one of those to shoot anything and they're going to slam into the nearest sun causing a supernova. You need the relay's twin to bring its speed back down. Mass relays defy general relativity, not Newtonian physics.

The Mass Effect doesn't negate the physical mass of the object, it only creates an effective mass of nil, I imagine hitting a massive gravity well going faster than light would collapse the Mass Effect and then the sun would probably explode. That or you would tear through the sun ripping a hole in physical space-time. The odds of the crew dying before they even know it are greater than... space brakes. :P

By the internal logic of the ME universe you can't just shoot a ship using a mass relay.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LuckyOwl

Quote from: Inkidu on November 17, 2015, 09:23:38 AM
No, no you can't do that, Owl. I don't care how smart you think the whole galactic Citadel is. That's not how they work. You use one of those to shoot anything and they're going to slam into the nearest sun causing a supernova. You need the relay's twin to bring its speed back down. Mass relays defy general relativity, not Newtonian physics.

The Mass Effect doesn't negate the physical mass of the object, it only creates an effective mass of nil, I imagine hitting a massive gravity well going faster than light would collapse the Mass Effect and then the sun would probably explode. That or you would tear through the sun ripping a hole in physical space-time. The odds of the crew dying before they even know it are greater than... space brakes. :P

By the internal logic of the ME universe you can't just shoot a ship using a mass relay.

See, but there's a possibility that you can shoot a ship with it, even if it has terrible consequences ;D Just teasing.

I don't know enough about physics to contest your points here, so I won't. I will say this though: If Bioware came out tomorrow and said "yeah the scientists all got together and figured out a way of using a relay to shoot a ship on a one-way trip after extensive calculations", even if you're right about your points, I'd venture the vast majority of the Mass Effect fanbase would deem that a satisfatory explanation due to that fundamental lack of knowledge about physics. I know I would  ;D

Alas, this is all conjecture, so I was just throwing it out there. We'll see what they come up with in due time :)
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Assassini

In fairness, considering that the very idea of a Mass Effect Field makes absolutely no sense in physics I think we don't really have to worry too much about it being hard sci-fi. And Lucky does have a point, while until now you've always needed two relays for travel, we know there won't be any more so there has to be a way for them to cross the insurmountable space between galaxies. So if we somehow get shot across space by a Mass Relay Cannon then frankly I'll accept that completely happily.

I mean, conventional FTL in the game would just be far too slow. Compared to the size if Galaxies, the speed of light is absolutely fuck all. Considering that it would take ~100,000 years to cross it at the speed if light... (And it's not even a particularly big Galaxy!!!)

Inkidu

Actually not true. There have been many papers published on the effects of dark matter. It has been postulated that dark matter creates the opposite effect of regular matter. So you could via its manipulation create a bubble of negative energy that could reduce an objects effective (not actual) mass to zero. You won't get the same effect from anti-matter. But Dark matter theoretically exudes dark energy.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Assassini

Quote from: Inkidu on November 17, 2015, 10:14:50 AM
Actually not true. There have been many papers published on the effects of dark matter. It has been postulated that dark matter creates the opposite effect of regular matter. So you could via its manipulation create a bubble of negative energy that could reduce an objects effective (not actual) mass to zero. You won't get the same effect from anti-matter. But Dark matter theoretically exudes dark energy.

Whether or not that is true, and I'm sure you might be right especially as I am aware of the existence of both Dark- and Anti-Matter (but my knowledge of Physics isn't extensive enough to even try to look into it myself), there's a looong fucking jump from something that has been theorised to be true to "magical field which allows travel through what can only be wormholes AND the ability to levitate and stuff".

Inkidu

Quote from: Assassini on November 17, 2015, 11:48:59 AM
Whether or not that is true, and I'm sure you might be right especially as I am aware of the existence of both Dark- and Anti-Matter (but my knowledge of Physics isn't extensive enough to even try to look into it myself), there's a looong fucking jump from something that has been theorised to be true to "magical field which allows travel through what can only be wormholes AND the ability to levitate and stuff".
Yes and no. Yes there's always a technological learning curve, no in that it wouldn't actually be that hard in the practical stage if we can get it to run through manipulation of electricity.

Of the four Forces humanity is only good at one and that electrical force. Honestly it hinges upon how easy it'd be to get the material required. There are a  couple of theories on that.

But, trying to tie it back into ME, the key point is that without mass relays humanity is stuck in the Milky Way. The distances between galaxies makes the distance across galaxies look like the Boston Marathon versus a track loop around a football field. As far as I know eezo doesn't create any time-space warp effects it just can reduce and increase the mass of an object in a projected field. So I just can't think of one that keeps the Reapers solely in the Milky Way.

Deamonbane

Well, they do find a way to get to the Andromeda Galaxy, that much we know. Be it by some uncharted Omega-4-like Relay or some new tech that they will probably gloss over in the actual game. We'll have to wait and see.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

LuckyOwl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGpNBtzVRH4

The leaker's identity has been verified by the mods at r/masseffect. Original thread here. If you can't watch the video, here are the gameplay leaks:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
2 Squad mates as before, a human blonde and a krogan mentioned
All squad mates have jetpacks which come into play in exploration
Omnitool has more functionality, for example a combat shield
Greater detail in character facial features and models
Destructible covers (Yay Frostbite!)
Completely different ship (I take it as a step away from the frigate sized ship that we saw in Normandy and towards a larger ship, perhaps the one seen here )
Hints at Mako customization
'Pathfinder quarters' section in the ship
Main character is referred to as 'the pathfinder'
Story revolves around finding a new home for humanity and other races
New ship travel system (Instead of the old galaxy map) where you manually fly the ship
Enemies (the main opposing force I assume) are bipedal cross between Vorcha and Collectors
The (non-human) enemies drop into combat from Cerberus ships (I would assume a placeholder, but if it's not then it gets interesting)
One of the antagonists is a human soldier with armor similar to yours but without N7 insignia
QuoteYou never knew exactly how much space you occupied in people's lives.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night

Deamonbane

I am rather excited to try out the new System. Destructible covers? That sounds like it could amp up the difficulty, for Infiltrators in particular.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Inkidu

Not excited about being called the Pathfinder. :P

I mean it doesn't really make sense given the setting. :P