News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

government shut down

Started by Misterme, September 30, 2013, 10:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughing Hyena

Who the heck knows at this point. All I am saying that if diplomacy and negotiations fail, there are other options as well. And with less then 24 hours to do it in, the more harsh options seems more and more likely.

Not that the impeachment option doesn't appeal to me. But the problem is that only the Senate can do that if I recall correctly and they aren't going to do that I suspect.

gaggedLouise

*nods* Perhaps some of the leading Tea-Partists in the House could be kidnapped by American patriots?  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 16, 2013, 01:06:28 AM
Are you saying they should impeach Boehner and Cruz?  ;D

Don't leave out the House Majority Whip too.

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 16, 2013, 01:06:28 AM
Are you saying they should impeach Boehner and Cruz?  ;D

I'd say that this is a smidge worse than getting caught with an intern, yes.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dashenka

Can somebody explain to me in plain simple English what it means if nothing happens before tomorrow and the US reaches that debt limit?

I know it means the US cannot loan any more money but what does that mean for the American citizens?
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Dashenka on October 16, 2013, 07:58:14 AM
I know it means the US cannot loan any more money but what does that mean for the American citizens?

Not exactly. It means the US couldn't contact any more debt than it's in already. Problem is, the fed uses debt (selling bonds) to pay off ... well, other debt. The government would be unable to pay bills it has already incurred. That means the government's cost of borrowing would go through the roof, much like a person who missed a car or mortgage payment would see the interest rate on their credit card suddenly jump to 29% or something.

It might also mean that the people who hold U.S. debt (that is, who own bonds, treasury bills & so on) start dumping it because they no longer believe they'll get paid. Essentially the cost the government has to pay to do anything would shoot up. For reasons I only vaguely remember this would maim the value of U.S. currency, making everything more expensive for everybody.

The Treasury Department has enough cash on hand to keep paying the bills until (coincidentally) Hallowe'en. Then they've spent the last of the change they found in the couch cushions & things get really scary.

Dashenka

Hmm. So basically there isn't too much problems until Halloween?

Laughing Hyena

Which is why I am surprised things haven't escalated to physical force yet.

Dashenka

I'm just worried about the global effects. Europe's finally climbing out of a recession that lasted nearly 5 years and cost many people their jobs. America was a bit quicker to climb out but with the US Dollar depreciating like hell, that would certainly drag Europe back into a recession again.

Of course there is the American aspect as well but that has been highlighted here before by people who know more about it than me but I don't see many global concerns yet, which surprises me a bit. I guess the world's still confident the situation will get solved.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Dashenka on October 16, 2013, 08:30:10 AM
I'm just worried about the global effects. Europe's finally climbing out of a recession that lasted nearly 5 years and cost many people their jobs. America was a bit quicker to climb out but with the US Dollar depreciating like hell, that would certainly drag Europe back into a recession again.

Of course there is the American aspect as well but that has been highlighted here before by people who know more about it than me but I don't see many global concerns yet, which surprises me a bit. I guess the world's still confident the situation will get solved.

Naïve fools. They'll see. *this coming from an American* Chimps in office would be more effective (and less costly) than the people currently elected. No one is going to raise the debt ceiling before it hits. We'll hit another depression, and the economy will tank (perhaps not right away, it might be gradual, but it will happen). Global confidence in our ability to pay our debt will plummet, and we'll eventually end up like Greece. I really don't want to Greece.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Dashenka

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on October 16, 2013, 08:33:13 AM
Naive fools. They'll see. *this coming from an American* Chimps in office would be more effective (and less costly) than the people currently elected.

You've had a chimp in office before? Bush Jr.?

Anyway, I just hope that when it get's perilous, the rest of the world can extort some pressure onto the US to solve the issue. Although I don't think that will happen or help.

Oniya

The rest of the world is probably underestimating the capacity of human pride, stubbornness, and stupidity. :-\   Because surely the U.S. Congress isn't that dumb to throw the rest of the world under the bus because of an attempt to get U.S. health care on par with Europe's.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Laughing Hyena

Never underestimate the idiocy of politicians. Honestly it's damn near frightening how media mouth pieces like Fox News escalate the problem. Im just glad my Dad didn't live to see this because he'd be turning over in his grave.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on October 16, 2013, 08:26:57 AM
Which is why I am surprised things haven't escalated to physical force yet.

Government shut shot down.

FIFY  :D

Bloodied Porcelain

I look at this the same way I look at the Sequester. No one thought they'd let it get so bad that the sequester would be put in to effect. It was such a monumentally BAD idea everyone was like "this will scare them in to doing their job", but yeah-no. *sigh*
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Serephino

The Tea Party really is that stupid.  As someone who relies on Social Security, I'm really freaking out here.  If this means I won't get my check, I don't know what I'm going to do. 

LunarSage

Quote from: Serephino on October 16, 2013, 08:48:18 AM
The Tea Party really is that stupid.  As someone who relies on Social Security, I'm really freaking out here.  If this means I won't get my check, I don't know what I'm going to do. 

+1

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Avis habilis on October 16, 2013, 08:04:47 AM

It might also mean that the people who hold U.S. debt (that is, who own bonds, treasury bills & so on) start dumping it because they no longer believe they'll get paid. Essentially the cost the government has to pay to do anything would shoot up. For reasons I only vaguely remember this would maim the value of U.S. currency, making everything more expensive for everybody.

Wait a minute...you mean, buying stuff, or services, from the U.S. is going to get cheaper for the rest of us?  :D

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 16, 2013, 10:03:18 AM
Wait a minute...you mean, buying stuff, or services, from the U.S. is going to get cheaper for the rest of us?  :D

If we had anything to sell...  You're probably better off going direct to China and skipping the middleman. 

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on October 16, 2013, 10:19:53 AM
If we had anything to sell...  You're probably better off going direct to China and skipping the middleman. 

*looks up "Union Sundown" by Bob Dylan (not on Youtube in it's incomparably snooty, concise studio version) - thirty years old track but quite prophetic*

Apparently they have a deal now that seems to be fairly ready... in the senate - not voted there yet - but the real test will be if some of the Republicans in the House can stomach the defeat and vote for it, because they would get very little of their opposition to funding the ACA upheld.

If they don't pass this in the House, then it's...not much time left, at all.

Laughing Hyena

Well here's hoping. I hope for some good news on this end. Apparently they will put this off for now until the 15th of January when this will inevitably come up again. If it works anyway.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on October 16, 2013, 12:55:21 AM
Not too sure how smart I am or how realistic this is...

But would it not be possible to get an emergency meeting up in the Senate to try and avoid the imminent default with or without certain parties, namely the ones whom are essentially doing this? The government can thus remain shut down but the biggest bombshell is essentially defused. And if people still try to hold onto that couldn't they be very well charged with treason for this kind of national endangerment?

Because as it stands at this point if nothing is done, everybody loses.
According to that video, assuming I'm understand Politicese, that you can't do it without the Republic party ITSELF making that call.  And seeing as they won't, because they're trying to make Obama look bad, or something, then we have this stand still.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on October 16, 2013, 11:43:06 AM
According to that video, assuming I'm understand Politicese, that you can't do it without the Republic party ITSELF making that call.  And seeing as they won't, because they're trying to make Obama look bad, or something, then we have this stand still.

That's what I got out of it as well.

Bloodied Porcelain

Dashenka

QuoteSenate Majority Leader Harry Reid hailed the agreement he worked out with his GOP counterpart Mitch McConnell as "historic," saying that "in the end, political adversaries put aside their differences."

I think he means 'hysteric' rather than 'historic'.

I doubt they really put aside their differences but in fact it was just their wife and kids who told them to stop playing stupid games and get to work because they couldn't go to school anymore without being bullied.

At least in my mind that's how it is.