Your Fave Novel of All Time

Started by LadySky, March 31, 2009, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShamshielDF

Anything by David Weber (Honor Harrington series, Mutineers Moon series, Bahzell saga and several others) If I had to narrow it down I'd say Storm From the Shadows (it has a CD with most of his other work)
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Complete Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny
The Hollows series by Kim Harrison
The Dune series by Frank Herbert

(for bonus points: Foundation series by Aasimov, Snow Crash/Diamond Age/most of Neal Stephenson's work)
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Corinthi

1. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I loathe Orson's politics, but Ender's Game is a fabulous story. Almost painful to read at times.

2. Legend by David Gemmell. The first few chapters are setup, but once those are out of the way, it's pure, gritty fantasy awesome, and when Gemmell kills his characters, you feel it.

3. A Knight of the Word by Terry Brooks. The best novel in the Demons trilogy, the book's almost more about the cost of fighting the good fight than actually fighting. So grim and personal. Modern horror fantasy.

4. Mallory's Oracle by Carrol O'Connor. Kathy Mallory is a sociopath who's entire moral framework is built around considering whether or not the action would have made her deceased adoptive mother cry. She's also the finest detective the NYPD has, so long as you judge by results and not how they're achieved. I /love/ this character.

5. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. My absolute favorite book that's commonly taught in high school lit classes. The Satire is so biting and beautiful.

Oreo

I prefer fantasy, scifi, historically correct novels and biographies. I've read almost all of James Michener's works. I loved Sacajawea by Anna L. Waldo. James Alexander Thomas'~ Follow the River had me riveted to my chair. Other authors in my top ten picks, Tolkien, MCcAffrey, Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, Asimov's Foundation, Zelazny~Amber Chronicles, Frank Herbert's Dune, Piers Anthony (for fun). If it's scifi I've probably read it and loved it.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Darius

The Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth Series ... especially Faith of the Fallen"

And the Jim Butcher Dresden Files Books.   Best one is Proven Guilty or White Knight

World War Z

The Stand

The Burke Series, by Andrew Vacchs
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

Neferus Andolini

If I was going to a desert island, and bringing 5 books with me, I'd probably bring 5 books I'd never read before. They would also take a long time to read and be rereadable, obviously. So, with those things in mind..

One Thousand and One Nights
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Journey to the West
Winter Margin
Dream of the Red Chamber

I would also prefer to bring along a collection of Rumi, a collection of Hafez, and probably the religious texts of the Jewish, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, and Hindus. But I guess that's cheating. lol

tesseractive

Neferus,

Nice choices and rationale.

If you haven't yet had occasion to read it yet, another nice big book that's fun to read is Boccaccio's Decameron, though I suppose it technically isn't a novel.
~ Tessa ~

We are never not what we are, but we are never not becoming what we will be.

somethingblue

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert
Sex, Drugs, and CoCoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
Naked by David Sedaris
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Okay, so only two of those are "novels", but they're the books I'd want!

grdell

The Shining by Stephen King
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist (really cool book, and very appropriate for this audience)
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Anything by Terry Pratchett, but The Fifth Elephant for preference (Everybody loves Vimes, but my fave is Angua)
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Milanthe

All of Jean Johnson's books
All of Christen Feehan's books
Ok...  This is silly, I'll just list authors:

Jean Johnson
L K Hamilton
Dan Brown
John Grogan (Only one book here, Marley & Me, but if there's a collection of his columns out there I'd love to see them)
Tolkien - Just to see if I can finish any book other than The Hobbit.  ((How many times have I tried to read the LotR series and couldn't read past Legolas going "Balrog, a Balrog has come!"???

If I had to choose just a few books...

The Flame -&
The Mage by Jean Johnson
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
Marley & Me by John Grogan
My paperback of the whole LotR series just to see if I can get past seeing Legolas as a little iddy bitty hobbit during that scene.  It was meant to be all one whole book anyways.  JR Tolkien. 

If we're going for spiritual enlightenment...

Bible for Dummies
Wicca for Dummies
Koran for Dummies
Buddhism for Dummies
Invisible Pink Unicorn-ism for Dummies (Or Giant Spaghetti Monster-ism for Dummies)

*Looks through book titles listed*  Hm...  I think I have my reading list for the summer.  Some of these look good!
Back from the deadish...  I hope...  Is deadish a word?

Inkidu

Cervantes's Don Quixote. The hands-down funniest novel in existence.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MzNurse

Quote from: hanyou on April 17, 2009, 02:56:39 PM

The Stand by Stephen King
i just really do love the way that King plays with religious topics and secular ideas.  The interplay between the two meld seamlessly in this novel.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
King tries his hand at epic writing here, interweaving his worlds and characters through the lands of the gunslinger Roland and his ka-tet.  All of those words King's made up over the decades are finally explained in this series.  However, if I had to choose just one, The Gunslinger, the first novel.

Stephen King is my favorite author of all times, mainly because he has the ability to put you right there in the minds of both the good and the bad characters.  Cujo was awesome because you knew exactly what that poor insane dog was thinking, and I absolutely hated the way the movie screwed up the ending. The Stand is my alltime favorite book, and I think I've read the unedited version so often I nearly have it memorized. I also loved the Gunslinger series and would like to be able to affored those so that I could reread them over and over again.
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.