News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Lunch lies! Dinner deceits! Tasty truths!

Started by Jag, July 21, 2010, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

I thought this was cute and a little funny:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2010/07/21/lunch-lies-dinner-deceits-tasty-truths/?hpt=Mid

Some quotes from the article:

Quote- Hot, spicy foods on a sweltering day will cool you down: Fiery foods raise your body temperature slightly, bringing heat to the skin's surface and causing you to sweat. This perspiration will ultimately cause your body to cool down by evaporative cooling (temperature reduction through the evaporation of water).

Quote- Chocolate doesn't cause acne: 1950s dermatology books made the claim that chocolate causes acne, asserting that because chocolate is rich in fat and sebum (oil), consuming chocolate would cause the sebaceous glands to be affected. No studies have been able to show any association between chocolate and acne. To the contrary, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recently reported that the flavanoids (antioxidants) in dark chocolate may actually help regulate sebum production, thus helping with acne.

QuoteWhen I was little, the ice cream man would come by on his tricycle, bells ringing. My mom told me he was the fish man – he sold fish out of the cooler on the front of his large tricycle. Worked like a charm until the day my Grandpa bought me an ice cream bar. I don't know that she ever forgave him for that.

QuoteMy mother told me one time that eating chicken wings would enable me to fly! She didn't say how many it took, but I gave up flapping my arms while jumping off curbs after about the third meal worth of chicken wings. I still don't like 'em.

QuoteMeat DOES NOT come from animals, it's grown on trees in Malaysia.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

I liked this one:

QuoteMe: Why does Johnny's family eat steak all the time?
Dad: Well son, other families just can't afford to have their meat ground up the way we do.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jag

That one is cute. I like the ones where they tell their kids that they are eating dinosaur meat. :P
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lilias

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 21, 2010, 02:29:03 PM
I like the ones where they tell their kids that they are eating dinosaur meat. :P

That's Godzilla - the deep-frozen pork or beef cooked for the Greek armed forces, whose slaughter date, in the words of my cousin, 'is lost in the depths of ages past' :P
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lithos

Or unicorn meat or if you want real thing:

There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Synecdoche17

That was hilarious!

When I was little - like, 12? 13? My mom made 'eggs' by putting peeled peach halves (the yolks) in a skillet and surrounding them with vanilla ice cream (the whites). I sincerely disliked eggs at that age, but I wasn't allowed to leave the table until dinner was over. I ate my three servings, and then my mom insisted that I also finish the eggs that she had just brought out. I was so completely fooled that I burst into tears at having to eat eggs.

My parents still laugh at that.  :P
A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

The Golden Touch

My Dad use to tell my sister and I that onions were 'white carrots'.  >>;  Even at that age I knew he was full of it.  My AOS in Culinary Arts says different Dad!

My Uncle also told us that spicy food was bad, to which we always asked him why he ate it and proceeded to eat it anyways.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Inkidu

My parents never told me any real lies about what I was eating but they said I should eat everything because there were starving children in China. Then wee little Inky's brain went into overdrive.

China has millions of people.
If we went to war even a malnourished China we'd lose unless we nuked 'em.
However, every grain of food I eat doesn't go to China!
Therefore the President will have to give me a medal! I just prevented World War III.

If guilt was the intent it failed.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Bill Cosby had the best comeback to that:

'Well, put it in a box and we can ship it to them!'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on July 22, 2010, 07:00:19 PM
Bill Cosby had the best comeback to that:

'Well, put it in a box and we can ship it to them!'
Hey I say you can't let the commies win! The last domino falls at the dinner table!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.