News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Why I live in the Pacific Northwest.

Started by ObscureObscenities, July 30, 2012, 01:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ObscureObscenities

So, I hear a lot from people who wonder why I live in a part of the world that rains, or is overcast the better part of 300 days a year. Everyone whines about not being able to do it, or not seeing the sun. Well I've got a fair example of just why people are willing to do so. (Disregard the bugs on my windshield, and yes, I know I should not take pictures while driving.)

Astoria Bay

Highway 30, East bound towards Longview, Wa

When the sun shines, it is green, lush, and beautiful!

Izzie Aditi

Well, only when it looks like the pictures above. Not when it's like this ::).
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Callie Del Noire

I figure that it could be argued, like Ireland, it's green because of the mold/mildew?

Nah.. I have lived in Ireland and spend five months in Oak Harbor, Wa.. It rained a HELLA lot more in Ireland (Newtowneforbes, Country Longford) than Oak Harbor.. still didn't like the base there though.. so I didn't continue on.

ObscureObscenities

I know there is other places that rain more, but people always seem to complain about ours more lol, Ireland its expected, but for some reason people just seem to think dreary Seattle and such is bad. It's, come on people, there's a Rain Forest on the pacific peninsula, so you really expect it to be dry and sunny?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ObscureObscenities on July 30, 2012, 03:40:38 PM
I know there is other places that rain more, but people always seem to complain about ours more lol, Ireland its expected, but for some reason people just seem to think dreary Seattle and such is bad. It's, come on people, there's a Rain Forest on the pacific peninsula, so you really expect it to be dry and sunny?

Like I said.. I lived in Oak Harbor, Wa for the fall/winter of 2000.

I have (in Ireland) seen it:
-Rain
-Sleet
-Hail
-Snow
-Go Sunny
-repeat...

Alll within 5 minutes of the last.

ObscureObscenities

I've seen that here, makes for a interesting day to say the least.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ObscureObscenities on July 30, 2012, 08:36:50 PM
I've seen that here, makes for a interesting day to say the least.

Yeah.. I miss some of the things in Ireland.

Brandon

Ive lived in Oregon a long time and yes it really does look like that. All the time
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Moraline

Multnomah falls. Come to Oregon! You'll love it here!

Miss Lilly

It's all so green!!  I live in a wide brown land, lol.
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

ObscureObscenities

Multnomah falls is a nice stop, when your driving the highway, you want to find something beautiful and green with water falls, go further south and east of Salem. Silver Falls is just that much more wonderful, and the hiking trail actually walks you back and around behind the waterfall as you go down into the valley, it really is something to see.

Brandon

Even if you live in one of the major cities most of them are pretty green. Now that I think of it, Portland usually gets voted pretty high up on the "greenest cities in the world" thing too

Personally I think the coast is where its at, which is why I live on it (that and I like to go sailing once and awhile). Although there arent any really large cities
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

ObscureObscenities

True, Portlands more green cause of the Pot though lol. The coast is nice, i used to live just in from Newport, and got to visit every weekend, those were the days i missed. I'm higher up now, i preferred the more southward coast, the beaches are more sandy around the area i'm close too.

SinXAzgard21

I love Oregon, not so much a fan of WA currently.  But I do love it more than the east coast and CA.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

CastorTroy

I would love to live in these places people are posting. But, at the same time, I would miss hussle and bussle of London. Perhaps I will have the guts to leave London when I'm older and truly sick of it.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

ObscureObscenities

There is plenty of bustle in Seattle, i actually kind of hated the pace of it up there, and the people were kind of much more off putting then down in Portland. In Portland it really isn't odd for random conversation or people watching in bits of the city with no problem. Everyone in Seattle ended up being much more guarded, and distant, i missed all the hippy-folk of Portland living up that way. Living in Washington myself, but i'm just over the bridge again so i can head to Portland anytime.

The green is lovely, I've lived in the brown and dead, i'm from Central Idaho, and even in the valley everything is brown and grey, and brush. I loved the dry heat, and the open plains, but missing the green starts in, real fast if you have had any time in places as green as the Pacific Northwest.

ObscureObscenities

Well i was out again and wanted to share come more pictures! May take a bit to load, there are a bunch in this one!

Here is right off of I-84 in the Gorge just east out of Portland.

Here is a campsite, just north of Carson, in on the Washington side of the Columbia River.

Disregard my feet, and just check out how clear the water is! This is the Wind River (as in the other pictures) just down from a fish Hatchery.

On the way back to the Hwy from Carson, there was a herd of deer!

Then driving back towards home, the sun was coming down for some more good pictures.

Izzie Aditi

Very pretty, yet again :-). I grew up in an area that's been described as rural and middle of nowhere, yet I've never seen that many deer together!
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Inkidu

Look, I live in a place in the US where every major front from the Ozarks to the Appalachians breaks. It's either too hot, or too cold. The humidity can get 110% (no I'm not joking, super-saturated air, people) easy. We celebrate springtime by the first tornado of the season (kidding, but just barely). It can decide to drought out every poor farmer in the area or rain reverentially. It's like its decided to take the best of the worst weather and just use it all. I'd kill to live in the Pacific Northwest. :\ It's like California, but it's awesome and can pay its power and water. :D 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

kylie

I lived in Seattle for a couple years and spent some time in Portland, but more on the outskirts.  I loved them both.  Seattle has the Mountaineers, which is fantastic for hiking company -- especially if you don't have your own vehicle.  Even in the city, the green parks and houses just south of the University with so many fabulous fantasy colors and gardens...  So lovely. 

I did get the feeling that Seattle could be a little more tense for people, but that might be mostly because I was working rather mundane jobs and commuting so much.  Not really sure.  Both are visually beautiful and have some very good folks, though. 

ObscureObscenities

Yeah its great around here, the only natural disaster we worry about is Tsunamis if your close to the ocean, or the ever present looming volcano, which huff and puffs every ten years or so. Other then that we are chill with the mother nature, I'll pass on tornado's and super saturated air for sure.

Hiking is great up north, the view of Mount Rainier is just breath taking even if you live near it to see it often. And that feeling is just how it seemed, I only stayed in the Seattle area for 6 months, but I've been in the Portland area for more then 10 years.

NotoriusBEN

what are you doing man?! stop posting pictures or the Californians will start migrating north again. I just spent the better part of a decade getting rid of the last batch.  :P

For a while in my area, we had a bunch of Californians move up and started running for city hall and county positions. They wanted to spend stupid amounts of money to dredge out the vegetable matter and silt from the nearby lake (which they owned houses next too) but luckily we voted them down hard. The lake is continuing on its 30year cycle of flipping from lake to river and back again, but that didnt sit with those people. Luckily, the clouds did them in a few years ago and they sold their land and headed back south.

That probably sounded xenophobic, but really we're not. Like most places, the locals know what's happening more than some newbie city slicker who thinks they know better.

If your adventurous/aggressive in your driving:
-you'll get a lot of good twists and turns between Eatonville, Morton, and Yakima by driving WA-7 and WA-12 (White Pass)
-WA-97 between Cle Ellum and Wenatchee is fun sometimes when traffic is low... you got Wenatchee National Forest as well
-Start in Olympia and drive WA-101. Make a big ol' damn circuit and visit Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Forks (just go through it, its tainted from Twilight) and down through Aberdeen. You'll get about 15 hours of Puget Sound, the Olympic Mountains, and good food from good old fashioned people.

Brandon

Quote from: ObscureObscenities on August 08, 2012, 01:58:48 AM
Yeah its great around here, the only natural disaster we worry about is Tsunamis if your close to the ocean, or the ever present looming volcano, which huff and puffs every ten years or so. Other then that we are chill with the mother nature, I'll pass on tornado's and super saturated air for sure.

Hiking is great up north, the view of Mount Rainier is just breath taking even if you live near it to see it often. And that feeling is just how it seemed, I only stayed in the Seattle area for 6 months, but I've been in the Portland area for more then 10 years.

There's also the great skiing/snowboarding if you want to hit Mt. Hood. My girlfriends and I made a trip up there last year and its just as nice as when I was 16

ObscureObscenities

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on August 09, 2012, 07:58:46 PM
what are you doing man?! stop posting pictures or the Californians will start migrating north again. I just spent the better part of a decade getting rid of the last batch.  :P

For a while in my area, we had a bunch of Californians move up and started running for city hall and county positions. They wanted to spend stupid amounts of money to dredge out the vegetable matter and silt from the nearby lake (which they owned houses next too) but luckily we voted them down hard. The lake is continuing on its 30year cycle of flipping from lake to river and back again, but that didnt sit with those people. Luckily, the clouds did them in a few years ago and they sold their land and headed back south.

That probably sounded xenophobic, but really we're not. Like most places, the locals know what's happening more than some newbie city slicker who thinks they know better.

If your adventurous/aggressive in your driving:
-you'll get a lot of good twists and turns between Eatonville, Morton, and Yakima by driving WA-7 and WA-12 (White Pass)
-WA-97 between Cle Ellum and Wenatchee is fun sometimes when traffic is low... you got Wenatchee National Forest as well
-Start in Olympia and drive WA-101. Make a big ol' damn circuit and visit Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Forks (just go through it, its tainted from Twilight) and down through Aberdeen. You'll get about 15 hours of Puget Sound, the Olympic Mountains, and good food from good old fashioned people.

I have the next few days off and fully intend to get back out and enjoy it! I'm going to bring an actual camera though lol, and my tent so i get to indulge in a little nature, get the hell out of the city area before it cranks up to 90 and enjoy the semi-warm cool beach area. As for Californians they always come and go, I've been in the area most of my life, yet I've seen the clouds and rain shake people out of the area quickly enough.

I got enough of the Sound when i lived up in Kent, but thanks for the tips i may have to hit a few of those places!

LunarSage

It really doesn't rain as much as people think in Western Washington and when it does, the rain is almost always light compared to heavy east coast rain.  I grew up in the Olympia/Lacey area and only recently did I reluctantly move away due to the cost of living being so high.  Rent for a two bedroom apartment in Lacey with washer and dryer?  $915 a month.  Rent for a two bedroom apartment with washer and dryer in this part of VA?  $400 a month.  Gas tends to be at least fifty cents higher in WA than here as well.

Best part of living in Washington State as far as scenery goes?

"Oh look, the mountain's out!"

((Anyone from Western WA should get that reference.  ;) ))

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫