Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Primarch

Right then. Now I plan on playing a freeform game, but the games talent style allows us to list what our characters have and provide a guide to the abilities. But how deep into it do we want to get? Just their talents/spells and skills? Or stats too?

And what of the starting "level"? Start at 10? 15? 20?

Alliance

No stats.

It would be way to much mouth.

TheHangedOne

I'd just say talents, skills, and spells. And level 10 sounds like a good place to start...maybe after certain in-game events, everybody can level up?
Check out my poet tree!

Primarch

Quote from: Alliance on June 08, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
No stats.

It would be way to much mouth.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 08, 2011, 02:15:37 PM
I'd just say talents, skills, and spells. And level 10 sounds like a good place to start...maybe after certain in-game events, everybody can level up?

Seems good to me.

Level 10, list skills & talents + spells. Opinions on a suitable tier for starting gear? I'm not against each character having one *particularly* nice piece of equipment. But you know, something a tier or two higher with a pair of Journeyman runes thrown in.

Question Mark

I say we scrap the entire spells, stats, levels, specializations, etc. system.  It's needed in a game to provide challenge and balance, but personally I think it has no place in a freeform RP.  It will just muddy the waters.

Specializations can be treated similar to the game, though.  Some of us might already have a specialization (a trained warrior might be a berserker, or a Dalish elf could be a ranger) when the RP starts.  Then it might be taught to others.  Other specializations (like Arcane Warrior) would have to be discovered through the course of the RP.

I say we don't level up.  We just gain spells by learning them, experimenting, or we simply start with them.  Warriors and rogues, with their abilities, would probably just say "He struck out in a chest high slash," or "He made a move to knock him over with his shield."

As for gear, just wear what makes sense for your character to have.  Mage robes, a set of standard Ferelden Army armor, Dalish leather chestguard.

Alliance

But Vision is....a arcane blood mage....that's already established in the beginning. I mean learning battlemage from someone sure. But...I'm to inclined in not giving it up.

I realized.

When I said stats, I meant to much math. But instead I wrote mouth. O.o

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Alliance on June 08, 2011, 02:28:37 PM
But Vision is....a arcane blood mage....that's already established in the beginning. I mean learning battlemage from someone sure. But...I'm to inclined in not giving it up.

I realized.

When I said stats, I meant to much math. But instead I wrote mouth. O.o
If it makes you feel better, I read it as math; only noticed you said mouth when you mentioned it just now. :3
Check out my poet tree!

Primarch

Quote from: Question Mark on June 08, 2011, 02:22:15 PM
I say we scrap the entire spells, stats, levels, specializations, etc. system.  It's needed in a game to provide challenge and balance, but personally I think it has no place in a freeform RP.  It will just muddy the waters.

Specializations can be treated similar to the game, though.  Some of us might already have a specialization (a trained warrior might be a berserker, or a Dalish elf could be a ranger) when the RP starts.  Then it might be taught to others.  Other specializations (like Arcane Warrior) would have to be discovered through the course of the RP.

I say we don't level up.  We just gain spells by learning them, experimenting, or we simply start with them.  Warriors and rogues, with their abilities, would probably just say "He struck out in a chest high slash," or "He made a move to knock him over with his shield."

As for gear, just wear what makes sense for your character to have.  Mage robes, a set of standard Ferelden Army armor, Dalish leather chestguard.

The idea is more so to guide what a character is capable of, more so then hold a solid presence in the RP itself. It'll be a handy reference, and "leveling up" merely a way of acknowledging an increase in experience. It won't be a case of "well that's ten darkspawn dead, good work! 100 xp each!" more so "Alright, we just saved Redcliffe, every can add a new talent & skill! 

TheHangedOne

What Primarch said is exactly what I'm looking for.
Check out my poet tree!

Alliance

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 08, 2011, 02:30:02 PM
If it makes you feel better, I read it as math; only noticed you said mouth when you mentioned it just now. :3

I guess we're both sleep deprived.

Question Mark

Quote from: Primarch on June 08, 2011, 02:33:21 PM
The idea is more so to guide what a character is capable of, more so then hold a solid presence in the RP itself. It'll be a handy reference, and "leveling up" merely a way of acknowledging an increase in experience. It won't be a case of "well that's ten darkspawn dead, good work! 100 xp each!" more so "Alright, we just saved Redcliffe, every can add a new talent & skill!

Ah, I'm fine with that.  How about we make it part of the character profile?  The list of spells that is.  I don't think talents would be necessary though.  Hell, I never used them in the game anyway, except for Coercion.

Primarch

Quote from: Question Mark on June 08, 2011, 02:39:49 PM
Ah, I'm fine with that.  How about we make it part of the character profile?  The list of spells that is.  I don't think talents would be necessary though.  Hell, I never used them in the game anyway, except for Coercion.

The Character profile, which I suppose I'll set up quite soon, would be the perfect spot for it. Skills we might as well include. Its a little more option, and some of them might have interesting application not really seen in the game (like tactics)

Primarch

Name:
Race:
Origin: ~Doesn't have to be one of Origins starting 6, but feel free to use them. Clearly there can be only one Noble Dwarf or human, unless players agree on siblings~

Appearance:

Character Type: Warrior/Mage/Rogue
Specializations: ~Although we're starting at level 10, feel free to take 2/3 specializations. Points spent there can't be spent elsewhere, so its a trade off~
Talents/Spells: Choose 11
Talents, Spells

Skills: Rogues start with 7, Warriors/Mages with 6
Skills

Equipment: Tier 4 max, one piece of tier 5 + 2 journeyman runes placed where you want.
Armor
Weapons & Runes
Shields
Rings ~One for now
Amulets

Personality:

Backstory:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Origin:[/b] ~Doesn't have to be one of Origins starting 6, but feel free to use them. Clearly there can be only one Noble Dwarf or human, unless players agree on siblings~

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[center][img] [/img][/center]

[b]Character Type:[/b] Warrior/Mage/Rogue
[b]Specializations:[/b] ~Although we're starting at level 10, feel free to take 2/3 specializations. Points spent there can't be spent elsewhere, so its a trade off~
[b]Talents/Spells:[/b] Choose 11
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Talents_(Origins)]Talents[/url], [url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Spells]Spells[/url]

[b]Skills:[/b] Rogues start with 7, Warriors/Mages with 6
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Skills]Skills[/url]

[b]Equipment:[/b] Tier 4 max, one piece of tier 5 + 2 journeyman runes placed where you want.
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_(Origins)]Armor[/url]
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_(Origins)]Weapons[/url] & [url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Runes]Runes[/url]
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Shields]Shields[/url]
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Rings_(Origins)]Rings[/url] ~One for now
[url=http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Amulets_(Origins)]Amulets[/url]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Backstory:[/b]

On another note, starting point for our game? I was thinking perhaps survivors of Ostagar hunting for the Urn of Sacred Ashes.

TheHangedOne

Survivors of Ostagar sounds fun to me, though perhaps we should start people off just sort of regrouping from the attack, before they pick a direction and go with it? That way, things are more open-ended than shoe-horning us into looking for the Ashes.  Just my two cents, though; use it, discard it, melt them down and make something nifty...  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

Primarch

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 08, 2011, 03:20:39 PM
Survivors of Ostagar sounds fun to me, though perhaps we should start people off just sort of regrouping from the attack, before they pick a direction and go with it? That way, things are more open-ended than shoe-horning us into looking for the Ashes.  Just my two cents, though; use it, discard it, melt them down and make something nifty...  :-)

Suits me perfect. T'was merely a suggestion.

TheHangedOne

By the way, might want to amend the post...the code is all there for the profile correctly, but none of the urls link. I'm assuming they were supposed to be click-able in just one post, as opposed to being a part of every character?
Check out my poet tree!

Question Mark

Were all of us sent to light the fire in that tower?  Then I say we start on the first day we leave Morrigan's Hut.

Primarch

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 08, 2011, 03:29:03 PM
By the way, might want to amend the post...the code is all there for the profile correctly, but none of the urls link. I'm assuming they were supposed to be click-able in just one post, as opposed to being a part of every character?

I edited the Character Sheet itself into the post, so people can see how it looks and clink the links. Then C+P the character sheet template itself. They can of course be removed when doing your character.

bubby

*Peeks back in* Hanged said he'd hold my hand in making sense of what this is all about...if I'd play. So...I might play..

Primarch

Quote from: bubby on June 08, 2011, 03:34:37 PM
*Peeks back in* Hanged said he'd hold my hand in making sense of what this is all about...if I'd play. So...I might play..

I shall also help in anyway I can. To cram a quick explaination.

Fereldon, country the game is set in. A bit similar to Medieval Britain.
The Blight, an invasion of monsters (Darkspawn), who live underground. They're led by an Archdemon (giant dragon) which is actually a corruped old god.
Darkspawn, corrupted versions of Humans, Elves, Dwarves and other races. A little bit like LOTR Orcs & Uruk-Hai.
Grey Wardens, a militant organisation dedicated to fighting the blight/darkspawn. Can "sense" darkspawn, but darkspawn can sense them. Becoming one involves drinking darkspawn blood.
Orlais, nearby country. Where Fereldon is culturally similar to Britain, Orlais is France.

Quote from: Question Mark on June 08, 2011, 03:31:50 PM
Were all of us sent to light the fire in that tower?  Then I say we start on the first day we leave Morrigan's Hut.

We're not RP Dragon Age itself, just an RP in the setting and running along the same timeline. Although I'm not against the idea of us crossing their path occasionally.

bubby

That helps Primarch. I hope I'll be able to conform...hanged will be making my char, cuz I have absolutley no clue on stat stuff...

TheHangedOne

Working on this slowly...
Name: Theron "Farsight" Mahariel
Race: Elf
Origin: Dalish Elf

Appearance:

Character Type: Rogue
Specializations: Ranger
Talents/Spells:
Deft Hands
Improved Tools
Stealth
Stealthy Item Use
Heartseeker
Accuracy
Arrow Time
Burst Shot
Pinning Shot
Summon Wolf
Summon Bear

Skills:
Combat Training
Improved Combat Training
Expert Combat Training
Trap Making
Survival
Improved Survival
Poison Making

Equipment:
Armor: Dalish Armor (Hardened)
Boots:  Dalish Boots (Leather)
Gloves: Dalish Gloves (Leather)
Helmet: A light leather cloak with a hood that hides his ears, and helps stave off the chill of night and winter. Treated with elm wood smoke to retard mold and insects. Treat as cloth 'armor'.
Weapons:
Shortbow (Ironbark)(Journeyman's Cold Iron Rune)(Journeyman Paralyze Rune)
Dar'misu (Veridium)
Shield: N/A
Rings: Focus Ring
Amulet: Dalish Pendant

Personality: Quiet, cool, calm, collected. He keeps his emotions guarded and in check, and is very logical, to the point that he occasionally disturbs others. If he hates the humans for what they've done to his race, then it doesn't show. He occasionally shows a soft, gentle side when around children.

Backstory: Farsight was born amongst the Dalish elves, and lived a happy life as one of the more profoundly gifted marksmen, just like his father.

He was always an odd child, at home more in the woods, off alone, than anywhere else.  Consequently, it's no surprise that he's taken well to the Ranger's path.

When he heard news of the Blight coming, he became uncharacteristically worried. He knew that if the Grey Wardens and the humans failed, it would only be a matter of time before his tribe fell...to say nothing of the City Elves, whom he, in the long run, hopes to eventually free.

His wariness of things eventually led him to a decision that was considered extreme by many. He left his tribe to watch the battle himself.  Though it pained them to 'lose' one of their own, everyone knew that Farsight would be simply far too stubborn; once his mind is set, the only thing that can change it is a change in circumstances.

He set off, but arrived too little, too late...the battle was already underway as he arrived, and though he was able to pick off a few Darkspawn from hiding, he saw that the battle was hopeless.

OOC notes:
As play begins, Farsight will be hiding in Ostagar, waiting for the Darkspawn to disperse before he sets off to see if their's any survivors.
Farsight is an alias he gave himself for when he interacts with humans. He conceals his ears with his equipment, wary of the discrimination humans give to his kind. The alias is another layer of obfuscation.
Check out my poet tree!

Question Mark

So who are we playing, where are they, and how are they all together?

Primarch

Quote from: Question Mark on June 08, 2011, 03:56:53 PM
So who are we playing, where are they, and how are they all together?

Currently the idea is "survivors of Ostagar" likely somewhere near Ostagar, perhaps even Lothering. But suggestions are still welcome.