News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica, Discuss..

Started by Silver, January 29, 2009, 02:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver

This is a thread for all of the BSG fans out there to discuss  the show since it is the final season after all. All thoughts are welcome, chose a side or just defend the characters which hold a place dear in your heart. Let's just keep it clean.

So here are a few questions for the beginning of this.

Was the identity of the final Cylon what you were expecting or not?

Do you want more explained about the final five, than what we already got?

Who or rather what is Kara "Starbuck" Thrace now?

What other twists do you see coming within the coming weeks?
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

The Overlord

Quote from: Silver on January 29, 2009, 02:25:28 PM

No, but I'm still not convinced that Ellen is the final Cylon. Until I see something more definite, in my view this was a red herring. No offense to the Ellen fans, as I am an Ellen fan as well, but she's a minor character at best. After all the hoopla about who is the final Cylon, making it not just a minor character but a dead minor character is anti-climatic and serves no plot purpose I can see to date. In the back of my mind I'm still banking on Roslin; there's more to her than just a self-perceived has-been that's lead her people on a lie.

Obviously.

This has been a matter of vigorous debate between my brother and I. Somehow I don't think she's a Cylon waiting to come out of the closet; the whole temporal thing with finding her own corpse on Earth has another explanation IMO. If I heard right, they figured that Earth is about 2000 years past the nuclear war that took it out, so there is a temporal discrepancy, and a major one at that. Doing one of these 'alternate timeline' things is more what we'd expect from Star Trek, not Battlestar, but at this point I'm open to just about anything. Somehow in the past Kara was the harbinger of doom for Earth; it may have been accidental, and I strongly suspect it is, but either she went back in time or the fleet jumped forward. Either way, there seems to be at least two Karas, and again I feel 'Cylon' is not the answer.

Personally I'm now open to the possibility that in the end, EVERYONE is a Cylon in some form or another. I have this sneaking hunch; if the 13th Tribe was Cylon, maybe somehow it was progenitor tribe. Imagine life actually beginning here, not 'out there, far across the heavens',. As we move into the 21st Century and develop robotics and AI, etc., in a very Matrix or Terminator like style, the other twelve tribes are our children, in the 41st Century.

Silver

Now to actually answer some of my own questions.

Actually no it wasn't at all, for some reason i thought it to be someone else for it was a feeling had. That theory went up in smoke after she offed herself in a scene which still send chills down my spine when watching that episode for the third time.

Yes I do. I find it bull that we got a, "Oh they are from the 13'th tribe and should be dead but were reborn or re downloaded some how." I actually want real, clear answers and I want them now.

An angel of death is all that I can see her as, she is something else. I don't know why the thought of a doomed goddess comes to mind but it just does and it fits for me, at least for the time being.

You know that child of Sal and the number 6. I swear to god.. I swear it will turn out to be a girl and be Ellen. It has to be!

The Gaeta drama will have my attention for a bit of time, I am just wondering who will try to kill him or at least give him another verbal beat down like Kara did. *snickers* "Half Kick excuse me.."

Other than that, I just have to wait and see even if it kills me to do so.
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

The Overlord

Quote from: Silver on January 29, 2009, 08:24:18 PM

Actually no it wasn't at all, for some reason i thought it to be someone else for it was a feeling had. That theory went up in smoke after she offed herself in a scene which still send chills down my spine when watching that episode for the third time.

Yeah that was harsh. I for one never suspected Dee in the slightest, and it was hard to see her go. That's a hell of a grisly scene for primetime television, sci-fi or not, especially since I didn't see it coming...certainly the latest and most heavy What The Frack Moment the series has handed us....expect a few more before it's all been said and done.

Silver

Quote from: The Overlord on January 29, 2009, 08:32:23 PM
Personally I'm now open to the possibility that in the end, EVERYONE is a Cylon in some form or another. I have this sneaking hunch; if the 13th Tribe was Cylon, maybe somehow it was progenitor tribe. Imagine life actually beginning here, not 'out there, far across the heavens',. As we move into the 21st Century and develop robotics and AI, etc., in a very Matrix or Terminator like style, the other twelve tribes are our children, in the 41st Century.

*laughs*

You actually aren't the first person to say something like that. In the long run it makes sense, it really does but I can't see it. Maybe I am unwilling for that to be the end of things because after all of that to find everyone is a bloody cylon would tick me off just a wee bit.

Avi

It really makes sense, though.  Humanoid cylons are nearly indistinguishable from humans, so unless you're really looking for it, no one would ever know.  It'd also fit into the theme of "children fighting their parents" that was alluded to way back in the beginning of the series.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

The Overlord

Well, I only figure this much...

*warning spoiler alert for those that did not catch last night's, January 30th, episode*

The way I figure it, Gaeta is already dead. If Adama doesn't shoot him himself, he'll be shot or spaced by an execution squad if the mutiny fails. Especially since he was a trusted bridge officer that orchestrated this right under thier noses.

Zarek will either be rounded up or he'll go fugitive; he'll still have sympathizers in the fleet, but if Adama gets control of the ship again he'll hunt him with extreme prejudice until the series end.

Baltar I'm not sure about, but I think he's got a major part to play before it's all said and done. I would not surprised if there came an opportunity to somehow redeem himself, even if in part.

Based on the next week's trailer, I am curious to see if Roslin will get the Cylon basestar to engage the Galactica. A status quo Galactica with Adama at the helm vs. a damaged basestar; money is on Galactica. But if she does it, the mutineers will have to fight her off and contain the enemy.

Silver

Talking about last night's show...(Don't read unless.. you watched it)

Gaeta is a motherfraking tool for what he has done. His time is coming very soon and I hope that it's Starbuck who kicks the shit out of him before all out killing him.

Zarek is just.. *sighs* These actions are the doom of everything, from here there is no going back at all.

I can't watch Baltar without laughing, I just can't help it anymore. This godlike figure head he has become to his cult of followers, it makes me ill at times. Do you really think that he can redeem himself in any manner? I don't, but then again he's been a lost cause to me for quite some time.

Next Week: Is Sal actually dead, that is my only question for right now.

----

Now who saw the Battlestar Galactica Toaster last night!!!

I want one so badly.. a Toaster!! Like.. zomg..that's great..

Avi

Discussing last night's BSG!!  Read no further if ye do not like spoilers.

Indeed, Gaeta is an asshole.  I used to like him, too!  But ever since New Caprica, he's been questionable.  I agree with Silver.  I really hope Starbuck beats the living crap out of him, then lets Adama shoot him.  That, or getting spaced by Apollo.  Either one would be incredibly satisfying for me.  The Adamas are two of my favorite characters, so I'd love to see them kicking some mutineer ass.

I've never liked Gaius Baltar.  Some people do, but I just find him annoyingly suggestable and easy to manipulate.  Now he's the leader of a cult?!  What the heck... seriously, how can people think he's a guru?  He's smart, but not wise.

On another note, I really like Saul's character, so I really hope he's not really dead.  It'd be perfect if he just popped up sometime when it's least expected and takes out a few Marines.  However, in terms of story progression... sadly, it makes sense for him to die.  Especially since he chose to stay behind, knowing he'll probably be shot.

Silver

Quote from: aviationrox on January 31, 2009, 05:32:16 PM
Indeed, Gaeta is an asshole.  I used to like him, too!  But ever since New Caprica, he's been questionable.  I agree with Silver.  I really hope Starbuck beats the living crap out of him, then lets Adama shoot him.  That, or getting spaced by Apollo.  Either one would be incredibly satisfying for me.  The Adamas are two of my favorite characters, so I'd love to see them kicking some mutineer ass.

Boo.. Sorry but letting Apollo just space Gaeta is a pussy ass move in my book. Fraking beat the crap out of him, make him suffer and pay just a bit people.

Now that leads me to a new question thanks to something that you said.

Who are everyone's top four character liked and or disliked.

Avi

I meant spacing him only after Lee let Starbuck, Adama senior, and Tigh all beat the bejesus out of him.  :P

Top Four Liked:

1. Lee (Apollo) Adama, especially during the first two seasons.
2. Kara (Starbuck) Thrace
3. Admiral William Adama
4. Saul Tigh
Honorable Mention: Karl Agathon

Top Four Disliked

1. Gaius Baltar
2. Cylon Number Six (The version inside Baltar's head for a while.)
3. Felix Gaeta
4. Tom Zarek
Honorable Mention:  Laura Roslin.  She always struck me as a bit whiny or racist at times.

Cherri Tart

first off, can i just say i love you for putting up the huge spoiler alert, Avi? even tho i watched it, i hate having spoilers take me by surprise.  that said, how dare you not love Baltar? really, i know he has a few issue, but for some reason i just love him to bits.  and yeah, i was SO rooting for Kara to kick the daylights out of Gaita.  really, he's just turned totally creepy.  oh, and i love Helo!  and don't forget Anders and the chief!

top four liked:
Helo
Baltar
Lee
Starbuck/Kara/Apple of Eris *grins*

top four disliked
Gaita
the cylon that imprisoned Starbuck on new Caprica (don't recall the number)
Ellen Tigh (she better not be the fifth!)
Dean Stockwell Cylon! - yes, i am bad with numbers! 

you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Silver

Top Four Liked:

1. Samuel T. Anders. He's sexy and I always like his story lines..
2. Kara (Starbuck) Thrace. Everything that I want to be and more.
3. Karl (Helo) Agathon. Can you say sexy people..
4. Galen Tyrol. Just hsi growth is fun for me..
Honorable Mention: Number Six. They are all just so.. I always am left wanting to know more..

Top Four Disliked

1. Felix Gaeta. Always disliked him and it grew to hate after he lost his leg..and the bloody singing..omg give me a break.
2. Number Two. Omg get over Starbuck..you are just too creepy for me.
3. Laura Roslin. She is boring to me, I wish she would keel over and die already.
4. Cally Henderson Tyrol. Enough, I was so happy when she was finally killed off.
Honorable Mention:  Dr. Gaius Baltar. That came full circle when he got his own cult..dear lord..

Apple of Eris

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 31, 2009, 09:18:31 PM
top four liked:
Helo
Baltar
Lee
Starbuck/Kara/Apple of Eris *grins*

*blushes* Stop that!

Liked:
Starbuck! (obviously)
Admiral Adama
Number 6 (all of them!)
Dee

Disliked:
Felix
Cylon #2
Zarek
Ellen
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Apple of Eris on January 31, 2009, 09:22:25 PM
*blushes* Stop that!

Liked:

Dee

*makes face* still not over that... oh, god, and that just made me remember Billy... and then Cat... ok, get the tissues, please...

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Silver

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 31, 2009, 09:28:33 PM
*makes face* still not over that... oh, god, and that just made me remember Billy... and then Cat... ok, get the tissues, please...

That scene with Dee was one of the most.. WTF moments for me on the show.

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Silver on January 31, 2009, 09:29:33 PM
That scene with Dee was one of the most.. WTF moments for me on the show.

*nods* we had it on the DVR and had to pause the show for like 10 minutes before we could even go on, and it was 10 minutes of omg silence, too...

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Silver

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 31, 2009, 09:30:35 PM
*nods* we had it on the DVR and had to pause the show for like 10 minutes before we could even go on, and it was 10 minutes of omg silence, too...

Yea my brother and I kinda were like.. well damn.. and then what happened after that.. man oh man..

I will say the happiest death for me was Cally, Sorry all you Cally lovers but it made me so happy.

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Silver on January 31, 2009, 09:32:08 PM
Yea my brother and I kinda were like.. well damn.. and then what happened after that.. man oh man..

I will say the happiest death for me was Cally, Sorry all you Cally lovers but it made me so happy.

my girl was happy to see Cally go too... i liked her, though! *dabs eye* made me really hate Tori after that, even though she's drop dead gorgous and my number one female sex fantasy girl *blushes*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Silver

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 31, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
my girl was happy to see Cally go too... i liked her, though! *dabs eye* made me really hate Tori after that, even though she's drop dead gorgous and my number one female sex fantasy girl *blushes*

Tori.. omg Tori is awesome but still only number 6 on my list. Her having sex with Gaius.. so awesome.. *sighs*

Apple of Eris

Tori is hot. No doubt, but I thought Dee was gorgeous too and the way she died...

That was so fracked!
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Avi

I loved Dee. :D  She was the first female character on BSG that I really found attractive.  Something about her smile and the way she carried herself... *drool*

Silver

Quote from: aviationrox on January 31, 2009, 09:47:43 PM
I loved Dee. :D  She was the first female character on BSG that I really found attractive.  Something about her smile and the way she carried herself... *drool*

Aviationrox has a crush...

*sings*

But really between Dee and Tori.. Dee is a winner.

Avi

How did Dee end up killing herself?  With a gun?  Something else?  I only just started watching the series again, though I've managed to keep up with the plot.

Silver

Quote from: aviationrox on January 31, 2009, 09:50:01 PM
How did Dee end up killing herself?  With a gun?  Something else?  I only just started watching the series again, though I've managed to keep up with the plot.

...Gun..

*tear*

Avi

Gah.... *shudders*  Suicide is just... not cool.  And that she did it is just BAD.  How dare they kill off such a beloved character?  Seriously?  Kill off Roslin, for God's sake...

Silver

Quote from: aviationrox on January 31, 2009, 09:52:36 PM
Gah.... *shudders*  Suicide is just... not cool.  And that she did it is just BAD.  How dare they kill off such a beloved character?  Seriously?  Kill off Roslin, for God's sake...

Thank You!

Death to Roslin

Apple of Eris

HEY! I -LIKE- Roslin!

She's a strong female character. She stands up to Adama even though he really has all the power and makes HIM blink.

I totally respect that.

Not that I've agreed with all her decisions, but she's still a good character!
*glare*

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Avi

Like I mentioned, I find Roslin to be a whiny, wimpy little child... and the fact that she is incredibly racist toward Helo and Athena's baby...  I do admit that she does have her share of good moments, and maybe I've just seen too much of her bad side.  It's possible that she is much more likeable in Seasons 3 and 4.

Silver

I'm sorry but no.

I just dislike her so so so much..

Strong perhaps but a good leader, no. Fun story line to follow, No.

Cherri Tart

i like the president... i like the fact that all of the characters are so flawed and yet they try to do the best they can.  they are so real. 

O/O, Cherri Flavored

The Overlord

Roslin goes back and forth in my view. In some moments she's very human, other times so inhumane that I can't stand her. Sometimes I empathize with her completely, other times I can't figure out where she's coming from.

As president she's made some very bad calls...but then most good sci-fi is just a metaphor for actual events.  :-\

Silver

Spoilers for Battlestar Galactica: Blood on the Scales 02/06/08  DO NOT!!! Read Further If you Have Not Watched It And Hate Spoilers!!!!

Alright so Gaeta got played by Zarek so hard.. so fraking hard. I mean dude.. just dude. Felix.. you are an idiot.. very much so..

The Quorum is dead.. like all of them.. that was a zomg moment for me tonight.

Anders is more than likely dead..

Starbuck kicked ass and got people out with Apollo...

Adama didn't die, how can he.. I mean come on now..

Zarek and Gaeta died.  Gaeta's famous last words, "It Stopped", kinda priceless for me..

What the hell were those 'claw marks' that Tyrol found in the engine room, did anyone else catch him looking at those on the wall.

Next Week:

Ellen!!!! WTF. Ellen is back.. WTF again...

I thought that the final five couldn't come back. I thought there were only one of themselves.. not copies.. Did I miss something there or what..

I mean.. she's fraking back..what the hell is going to happen now..

The Overlord

*warning spoiler alert for those that did not catch last night's, February 7th, episode*

Zarek and Gaeta going out with a bang...no surprise there. Like I've said, if Adama gets control of the ship again they're dead.

Gaeta I felt bad for, but yeah Zarek played him like a yo-yo and he chose his side...to quote Obama, he ended up on the wrong side of history. I liked Gaeta as a character, seemed like a nice guy right up until the end here when they took the ship. Shame to see him go, but he asked for it. Also a stupid little punk that he thought he'd outdo the old man.

Zarek...well I guess we can say we all knew this was coming; the point where he went too far over the line and came to a kill or be killed scenario. I'm a Richard Hatch fan so I might be a little biased, but he won me over with the role. First season I didn't like Zarek at all, after a while I started to see things through his eyes, even agree with him here and there. But then he showed us cold-blooded he really was by fragging the entire Quorum. Once I saw the effect on Gaeta I knew the coup was going to crack in the end, the kid didn't have the kind of stomach that Zarek's tactics demanded.

And Ellen? No clue what's going on there, but I suspect it's more than standard Cylon regeneration. Same with the Starbuck issue; somehow Starbuck died on Earth years ago but didn't really. Either the technology exists, on Earth or elsewhere to revive or copy humans, perhaps clones, or some weird temporal thing is going on. Once we understand what's going on with Starbuck and Ellen, I think that will give us the big picture.

EDIT- Oh yeah, and the thing with the Chief. I was thinking the way the scene changed to a blue hue that he was flashbacking to Earth again, where they had memories of dying in a holocaust.

National Acrobat

From what I understand, the final five are more technologically advanced, and have the capacity to store their memories, and transform them to new bodies when they die, which means that there is another resurection ship out there somewhere.

The Overlord

Quote from: National Acrobat on February 08, 2009, 09:45:26 AM

From what I understand, the final five are more technologically advanced, and have the capacity to store their memories, and transform them to new bodies when they die, which means that there is another resurection ship out there somewhere.

Make sense. There's nothing to say there isn't. If you're a Cylon and have the capacity to download, I imagine you'd have a few resurrection ships lying around in the nooks and crannies of the galaxy.

Silver

Spoilers for Battlestar Galactica: No Exit 02/13/08  DO NOT, DO NOT Read Any Further If you Have NOT Watched It!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright..

So..

Yea Like FRAK People!! F-R-A-K!!!!!!!!

Anders remembers like everything, who knew that bullets could be so useful..

Ellen is alive and well.. We find out so much more about her.. I am sorry that I had written her off as a Slut..

Cavil is actually named John after Ellen's father and was made in his likeness..

We learn a bit more about Cavil and Ellen's relationship.. if that is the correct word for it...

Apollo is going to be the new head.. there will be a new Quorum made..

The ship is like..well yea going to break very soon unless things are done..damn those breaks.. they are freaking huge...

There was a number 7!! His name was Daniel and Ellen was very close to him, also he was an artist. Is The number 6 that Sal knocked up pregnant with a new number 7..? Is that the miracle.. that Anders was speaking about while screaming at him to stay on Galactica while being wheeled into getting that bullet taken out.

The bullet was taken out and now Anders is like gone.. *tear*

Boomer helps Ellen escape before that doomed brain thing that Cavil wanted to do to her..

Like I have so many thoughts and I can't even write them fraking down...Too much to think about now..

What's everyone else's thoughts on everything....

Next Week:

The final Five Reunited and it feels so good.. plus Boomer..

We better get more answers.. goddammit!!

The Overlord

Best...Fracking...Show...On...Television

*warning spoiler alert for those that did not catch tonight's, February 13th, episode*

The thing I like best about the situation with Anders: There's been all this talk about fate and destiny and divine plans throughout the show. And then this random happenstance, this quantum instance of a bullet pressing on a lobe in his brain, that results in a windfall of information for both fleet and audience. I suspect it's just turned the game in favor of the fleet.

And the 13th Cylon? I always suspected there was at least one more, Ellen alone was not enough to tie all this together. It fits too; twelve colonies, twelve Cylons. The 13th colony, and the 13th Cylon that's going to tie it all together.

Silver

Quote from: The Overlord on February 13, 2009, 11:26:37 PM

Best...Fracking...Show...On...Television

And the 13th Cylon? I always suspected there was at least one more, Ellen alone was not enough to tie all this together. It fits too; twelve colonies, twelve Cylons. The 13th colony, and the 13th Cylon that's going to tie it all together.

Daniel..I want to know what he looks like.. or if that baby is he.. Give us flashbacks!!! *groans*

At least I now have a new respect for Ellen..

Apple of Eris

The only thing that threw me in this episode was John Hodgman as the neurosurgeon. Since I -LOVE- the Daily Show as well, I kep waiting for 'Resident Brain Expert' or something to pop up on the bottom of the screen.

Still though, the Episode was really quite good, filled in a LOT of questions I had. The interaction between Number One/John and Ellen was petty damn intense. I'd never really thought it before (I always thought of him as loveable Al from quantum leap), but Dean Stockwell can sure pull off out-right psychotic pretty damn well.

I'm still curious about Kara though... how she came back, and how when Anders was relating his refound knowledge he saw her glowing along with everyone else. I'm still wondering if somehow she is the 7th cylon. 

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Silver

Quote from: Apple of Eris on February 14, 2009, 08:56:51 AM

I'm still curious about Kara though... how she came back, and how when Anders was relating his refound knowledge he saw her glowing along with everyone else. I'm still wondering if somehow she is the 7th cylon. 

Alright this a far out thought even for me..

But what if Kara's father some how was a number 7 who survived? far out there, I know since all of the 7's were destroyed but still..

idk..

Maybe the week after next we'll get answers about Kara..

Silver

Spoilers for Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock 02/20/08  DO NOT, DO NOT Read Any Further If you Have NOT Watched It!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know what, first things first I hated this eposode. I hated it.. why it took me so long to actually write anything down about it..

It was so freaking boring..

OK Ellen's back

Ellen is pissed at Saul...

Cylons want to leave the fleet..

Saul and Caprica Six lose their child..

That's it.

Thank you Anders for getting brainwaves going again, that and Ellen and Saul's fighting were the only thing that kept me watching.

I felt so let down..*sighs*

Next Week:

We find out more about Kara(Starbuck). I better not be disappointed like I was this week..not when there are only 4, I repeat 4 episodes left.. come on now..step it the frak up!

Apple of Eris

Quote from: aviationrox on January 31, 2009, 09:56:16 PM
Like I mentioned, I find Roslin to be a whiny, wimpy little child... and the fact that she is incredibly racist toward Helo and Athena's baby... 

I missed this before.
Honestly though, racist againt a child that is half a 'species' that just wiped out several billion of your fellow race leaving about only 50K left of twelve different planets? As much as I dislike racism and all that, I think that's pretty damn understandable.

As much as I hate Gaeda and the other mutineers, I can certainly understand their point of view!

Oh ans Silver:
I kind of agree and at the same time disagree. True there wasn't a lot going on, but we just wrapped up one subplot and now are moving to wrap up a second, its one of those building episodes where things start coming together again.

I have to say, Baltar. I keep going from hate to love to hate to love with him. I so highly doubt that he has altruistic reasons for distributing the food and for getting those weapons to secure his food distribution. At the same time, he's the only one actually doing anything to get those people fed. So, probably self-interest, but benevolent self interest. He's back on my love him list.

Still though, I can't figure out why every lady in the fleet wants to frack him! I'd rather just punch him. :)

Oh and Kara. I want tough Kara back! *pouts*

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Silver

Quote from: Apple of Eris on February 24, 2009, 05:50:22 PM
I missed this before.
Honestly though, racist againt a child that is half a 'species' that just wiped out several billion of your fellow race leaving about only 50K left of twelve different planets? As much as I dislike racism and all that, I think that's pretty damn understandable.

As much as I hate Gaeda and the other mutineers, I can certainly understand their point of view!

Oh ans Silver:
I kind of agree and at the same time disagree. True there wasn't a lot going on, but we just wrapped up one subplot and now are moving to wrap up a second, its one of those building episodes where things start coming together again.

I have to say, Baltar. I keep going from hate to love to hate to love with him. I so highly doubt that he has altruistic reasons for distributing the food and for getting those weapons to secure his food distribution. At the same time, he's the only one actually doing anything to get those people fed. So, probably self-interest, but benevolent self interest. He's back on my love him list.

Still though, I can't figure out why every lady in the fleet wants to frack him! I'd rather just punch him. :)

Oh and Kara. I want tough Kara back! *pouts*

Oh jezz you reminded me about Baltar..

I totally forgot about him. At times I was kinda like..bleh then the 'Head Six' came back and I was pulled in once more.

You pointed out that best thing.

"So highly doubt that he has altruistic reasons for distributing the food and for getting those weapons to secure his food distribution. At the same time, he's the only one actually doing anything to get those people fed. So, probably self-interest, but benevolent self interest."

Perfectly stated.

zekestone

-------- Plot Spoilers included in this post -------

I thought the start of the season was a bit crap, first two were kind of disappointing, they were all whining and shooting themselves because there was no gold at the end of the rainbow, i mean get a grip! Your alive for Gods sake, if anything i would prefer the routine/structure of Gallactica compared to the atmosphere of New Caprica where everyone was doing their own thing again.

It picked up though with the whole Gaeta/Zareck rebellion thing but that was resolved rather quickly in two episodes. Of course none of our heroes were ever in danger.

Now we are into some dream like void where we are playing catch up to stuff thats happened before and some big cylon plot circle. Is anyone else having trouble keeping track of all the multiple copies of cylons? It seems that making them all the same like robots has kinda reduced my empathy and interest towards them and their story. 
To Learn more follow this link: <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=31216.msg1642960#msg1642960" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">--- My Long Ass List of On's & Off's ---</a>

To Learn more follow this link: <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=5392" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">--- My Long Ass List of On's & Off's On E ---</a>

The Overlord

Quote from: zekestone on February 25, 2009, 04:01:53 PM
-------- Plot Spoilers included in this post -------

I thought the start of the season was a bit crap, first two were kind of disappointing, they were all whining and shooting themselves because there was no gold at the end of the rainbow, i mean get a grip! Your alive for Gods sake, if anything i would prefer the routine/structure of Gallactica compared to the atmosphere of New Caprica where everyone was doing their own thing again.

Umm....actually, let's review here.

Less than 50,000 survivors of humanity and still ticking down; what's left of several billion on twelve colonial worlds, 99.9% of whom perished in a nuclear holocaust.

Chased across the galaxy for several years by relentless robots.

Locked up and space-happy on their ragtag fleet for the duration.

What's left of civilization strained to the limits and teetering on the edge on a near-weekly basis.

Your best friend just might wake up one day and realize he's a skinjob.

Worse yet...you might just wake up one day and realize you're a skinjob.

Man's last best hope to restart; Earth. Also a nuclear wasteland.

There's isn't just no gold at the end of the rainbow; there's a bucket of shit at the end of the rainbow. I can understand them having a few 'frack this' episodes.  :-\

Erebus

Alright, I guess I found this thread kinda late, but better late than never. :)
So, where to start from...

Starbuck. I do believe she's the 13th Cylon. I mean she found her corpse, he got back after 4 months with a shiny new viper, plus cylon #2 said to her she has a destiny to fulfill. Adore her btw.

Caprica (#6s in general). Frak! This is one hot character. My personal favorite. Needless to say she gives me a hard on almost every time she makes an appearance...

Roslin. I hate the bitch. Did so from the very start. I don't know why, something about her face, her way of thinking, I think the scripters should get her into ICU and terminate her miserable existense right there. She did make some good decisions though. I think I ought to grant her this.

Zarek. Another much hated character here and if I may add useless to the bigger plot. Nothing else about him. Glad he got his ass the firing squad treatment. They should have done so when he was still inprisoned.

Gaeta. I liked this guy. I mean he helped the resistanse back on New Caprica, he was excellent at his job and he was very loyal to Adama (until the mutany that is, which is understandable). I really felt for him when he lost his leg and his singing, really moved me. Anyway, overall I liked him.

Dee. Man that was one hell of a suicide! Nice character, nice presence, but her suicide was something anticipated (more or less). We all realize that at the end, Starbuck and Apollo will end up together, right? So she ought to get out of the way.

Apollo. Another beloved character of mine. I was really excited when he took command of the Pegasus. Too bad it had to be sacrificed.

Well, that's a fraking long post, I really should stop typing.

PS
Quote from: Silver on January 31, 2009, 09:19:30 PM
snip
4. Cally Henderson Tyrol. Enough, I was so happy when she was finally killed off.
I second that. What a bitch!

PS2:
Don't you crave to hear the Centurions speak "By Your Command" ?
My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

In need for some short term players/NPCs? Place your request ==> here <==

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison

The Overlord

Quote from: Erebus on February 26, 2009, 06:11:42 AM

Dee. Man that was one hell of a suicide! Nice character, nice presence, but her suicide was something anticipated (more or less). We all realize that at the end, Starbuck and Apollo will end up together, right? So she ought to get out of the way.

Have to say if I was on the ship, Dee would one of the first crewmates I'd be trying to wine, dine and frack. Was hard to see her go like that.

If they're aiming toward Starbuck and Apollo hooking up, I hope that doesn't mean they're going to space Anders too. Anders is cool, he's one of the good guys Cylon or not. Don't write out characters just so others can hook up...that's bad writing no matter where it shows up.

Silver

Quote from: The Overlord on February 26, 2009, 06:55:37 PM
Have to say if I was on the ship, Dee would one of the first crewmates I'd be trying to wine, dine and frack. Was hard to see her go like that.

If they're aiming toward Starbuck and Apollo hooking up, I hope that doesn't mean they're going to space Anders too. Anders is cool, he's one of the good guys Cylon or not. Don't write out characters just so others can hook up...that's bad writing no matter where it shows up.

Agreed.

Silver

Spoilers for Battlestar Galactica: Someone to Watch Over Me 02/27/09  DO NOT, DO NOT Read Any Further If you Have NOT Watched It!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright.. There was a lot this week..

The beginning with Starbuck(Kara) making it seem like a very odd version of 'Groundhog Day', was simply awesome! More about her later here..

Oh yay there is a new Quorum being made!!

Boomer is to be tried for treason by the rebels. (Thank you Roslin for not wimping out and actually signing the papers no matter how much Tyrol was acting like a baby)

Tyrol is a sappy ass fool!!! See he and women are just doomed.. Boomer, Cally and then Boomer again.. Just shot him and put him out of his sad little state.

Tyrol and Boomer share moments within 'projections'. I mean they have a nice house and even a daughter.

Oh Oh stupid Tyrol.. helps Boomer escape.. but does he know what she's done.. no.. BECAUSE YOU ARE A FOOL! A FRACKING FOOL I SAY!!!!!!!

What has Boomer been up too let's recap here:

Escaping with the help of Tyrol.
Pretend to be Athena.
Fraking Helo while pretending to be Athena, while the real Athena wakes up and sees this happening. (This is funny people because remember on Caprica in the beginning, Athena seduced Helo by pretending to be Boomer.)
Takes Hera and gives her 'jesus juice' or something of that sort.
Stuffs poor Hera into that 'box'.
Does a jump and destroys the ship further, while getting away with Hera.

Now that is fraked up people!

Oh yes Roslin falling over after Hera was taken. *shrugs*

-----

Alright back to Kara.

I loved her being old Kara to the piano player.
She and him begin to write music and then start playing it finally.

Oh my what is the song she did, nothing else but the music which switched on the final five in the first place. (Thank You  Bob Dylan)

Now a question for everyone, was the piano player real or just in her head since to me it seemed to be her father..

Another question/thought.. could Kara's father some how been a Seven? It was he and she who made the song when she was a child..that means that he has to be connected to this some how..

Next Week:

The Ship is on it's last leg.
We find out more about what the frak Boomer is up too..

Only Three more episodes left everyone!!!

Discuss..

The Overlord

Quote from: Silver on February 28, 2009, 01:54:18 PM
Spoilers for Battlestar Galactica: Someone to Watch Over Me 02/27/09  DO NOT, DO NOT Read Any Further If you Have NOT Watched It!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyrol is a sappy ass fool!!! See he and women are just doomed.. Boomer, Cally and then Boomer again.. Just shot him and put him out of his sad little state.

I don't know if he's completely doomed in that department but I think the one girl he has to save now is the Galactica herself. If he can't pull that off, nothing else will mean a damn.

Silver

Quote from: The Overlord on February 28, 2009, 02:27:44 PM

I don't know if he's completely doomed in that department but I think the one girl he has to save now is the Galactica herself. If he can't pull that off, nothing else will mean a damn.

Indeed nothing else will matter then. Chief and the ship were just mean to be together.... he loves his job, nothing else should have mattered..

*shakes her head*

Aysleen

Quote from: The Overlord on February 28, 2009, 02:27:44 PM

Galactica is not long for the world.  Her demise is necessary to force everyone to just make a decision as to where they're going to rebuild.
Ons and Offs
* I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.
*We're all mad here.
* If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is,
because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?
*Curiouser and curiouser.

Apple of Eris

You know... when they do the camera pan to show the Galactica and how fracked up it looks now it makes me feel sad. Especially when compared o how she looked in the beginning. Yeah, and old ship but in good repair and looking sharp. Now she looks held together with duct tape and chicken wire. I kinda feel like Adama, like my kid is dying and I have to watch it.

I love kara, she's my fave by far. I'll be honest though, I hate when she's all whiny and stuff. I like her edgy and tough but still vulnerable. Good to see her getting some of that back. I think if she isn't the 7th, her dad had to have been. Too much coincidence otherwise.

The chief was an idiot I admit, but even as I was watching it I was completely fooled at first. I really wanted Boomer to have changed and felt remorse and really still love the Chief. So much for being sentimental. *sigh*

I gotta add this though, as much as I hate this show sometimes for making me crazy and dragging me through the mud emotionally and bringing me to highs and lows that I shouldn't be getting from a fracking TV show, I think the whole series has been amazing overall. The writing has for the most part been outstanding. The acting has been great (still not sure about john hodgman as a surgeon though) and the cinematography wonderful. Every episode I find myself totally engrossed, and I fracking hate tv. I can't wait for the series to be over so I know everything going on, but at the same time, I don't want it to end! Argh!

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

FM

This Friday's episode was the first I've seen to do two things:

1) Feature rectangular paper.

2) Actually reference how all the Cylons except for a specific few seem to look exactly alike.

And, I also find Starbuck to be my favorite character...or one of them.  I'm writing a story that I've been working on for years.  Two (or rather three) were partially inspired by Kara on BSG...the sort of "badass yet emotional" thing, I dunno.  In addition to that, I got the backstory idea from a theory I had about the BSG backstory:

Humans originated on Earth, had a mass dispora that led them to Kobol.  They then went to the twelve colonies, in the process forgetting all about their past, at least for the most part.

*offers olive branch to Apple and Silver* Just watched the most recent episode... and it wasn't bad. :P

Silver

Quote from: karmatrik on March 03, 2009, 10:25:10 PM
*offers olive branch to Apple and Silver* Just watched the most recent episode... and it wasn't bad. :P

*takes it and eyes her*

No hating in this thread, well at least not the show as a whole.. you can hate certain characters.. I myself hate certain characters..

*nods and goes back to wedding stuff*

Boomer's plot was worthy of the earlier seasons, indeed. Makes me hopeful for the end.

Silver

Series Finale tonight in t-minus 30 minutes.. at least for me..

sorry about no recaps for the past two episodes..

Wow, 2:11 long. I'll probably wait for the torrent so I can watch in HD, though. :P

Silver

[size=8]OMFG!!!

Best Fraking Show Ever!!!

The End![/size]

*more to come later when I am not so hyped up*

Phaia

AGREEESS WITH SILVER!!!!

WHAAA!!! ITs overrrrr!!!!

Silver

If a Cylon has sex on the internet is it still considered Cybering?

*snickers a bit*

The Overlord

No spoilers here for any that might have missed it tonight, I will only say that my faith in television has been restored, if only in part. With a plot this complex and convoluted, Battlestar had many, many opportunities to jump the shark.

It did not do so for four seasons, but I think despite a stellar track record, I'm willing to bet the majority of the audience was holding its breath tonight. The endgame was a point even the original series never reached, and I believe you'll agree with me that, depending on how it was handled, they could have brought the show in for a beautiful landing, or nose-dived and crashed in the final half hour.

Fortunately, they did the former. In fact, when Baltar delivered one of his best quotes to date, I barely kept from jumping off the couch and as I exclaimed 'beautiful!'

Absolutely godsdamned frakking brilliant. I had become jaded enough with the idiot box in general that I had thought it incapable of this degree of brilliance.

I told my brother last week we're probably going to get an ending to this show will be discussing clear into next year. We certainly will be.

...and maybe after that too.

Apple of Eris

*Sigh*

Best fracking show on TV in a long time. I'm both sad and happy it's over. Happy because I would get so emotionally wrapped up in the characters on the show like I really haven't with other shows and well, that was draining; sad because i'm so going to miss seeing more about my favorite cast of characters on television.

Truly a great show all around.

But now I need a new anti-social activity on fridays

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Erebus

I 'll have to agree with all of you.

Best frakking show and excellent ending.

My Introduction
My ONs & OFFs
Absences

In need for some short term players/NPCs? Place your request ==> here <==

Are you a lucky little lady in the city of light; Or just another lost angel, city of night. - James Douglas Morrison

Apart from the fairly inaccurate portrayal of Earth... XD

The Overlord

Yahoo linked an article on the fueled debate about the finale, where the purists were going over the finer points and the physics of the story.

Such as, you have the remaining 30,000 roughly that survived at the end of the journey in the ragtag fleet. So, even beaten and battered, a space-faring society is going to settle onto a Neolithic planet and just bury all its technology?

Lee- "Well guys, looks like Mastodon for dinner again tonight, but you'll have to throw spears."

Riiight. Sure buddy.

Right after I go hide my laser gun for a rainy day.

Which begs the question; even if they shot the main fleet into the sun. In 150,000 years they found Hera/Mitochondrial Eve...ok, they didn't exactly explain the science there either. She's a hybrid Cylon baby...didn't she have any extra parts that were questionable? I don't know...a CPU or something?

But point is, they found the little girl ages later...but nobody dug up a Raptor or a Viper?

What the frack I say?

Biggest thing that made no sense...Adama building his little cabin in the hills even after Roslin dies. Was he so sick of humanity after his mission that he just wanted to die alone? After four seasons, that just doesn't jive with anything we saw of the old man. He's tough as nails, but he's also got a heart as big as his ship. Why would he abandon his family and friends?

And then the final question that's going to be on everyone's lips for at least the next year-

What the frack was Starbuck?

Personally, I think she was an angel, loosely speaking. After she finds her body, it's conceivable that she was some sort of Cylon model, or did some funky time travel thing worthy of Star trek, but now I don't think that's it at all.

All this time she's the harbinger of doom, but then in the end she makes the fateful jump to Earth that saves humanity. I think there was two Starbucks...one harbinger, one savior. The harbinger is somehow what could have happened, or perhaps did happen, when she arrived at the first Earth and somehow triggered a war. How she got 2,000 years in the past I can't say.

Anyhow, Starbuck the savior came back to the fleet with the way to Earth. Her ship was all new because I think they sort of pulled a Gandalf with her; it wasn't her time to go yet. To make a classic Battlestar reference; ships of light.

But then the way we saw her last; Lee is talking to her and she just bamfs away. In a sense I don't think she was really there, not in a true human sense. She was physical and not just a vision in someone's mind like Six, but she returned to the fleet inexplicably and slipped away like a phantom in the end.

I don't think she was entirely human or Cylon at the end- she was something more, that transcended normal existence.

dafatkat

I think you are underestimating peoples willingness to go with a clean slate. I mean look at the chain of events.

1) Twelve Colonies Nuked
2) New Caprica taken over
3) Earth is a cinder
4) An armed insurrection in the military
5) the final battle with Cavil's cylons

You pile those huge events and just being stuck on a ship for four years, anyone would trade away technology for just a quiet slice of heaven.

Also I doubt that any raptors or vipers would of survived 150,000 years of erosion. Even at best I think the models say that if humanity left right now, most buildings would last 1000 years tops.

All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.

-Aristotle.

The Overlord

Quote from: dafatkat on March 30, 2009, 12:18:28 PM
I think you are underestimating peoples willingness to go with a clean slate. I mean look at the chain of events.

1) Twelve Colonies Nuked
2) New Caprica taken over
3) Earth is a cinder
4) An armed insurrection in the military
5) the final battle with Cavil's cylons

You pile those huge events and just being stuck on a ship for four years, anyone would trade away technology for just a quiet slice of heaven.

Also I doubt that any raptors or vipers would of survived 150,000 years of erosion. Even at best I think the models say that if humanity left right now, most buildings would last 1000 years tops.

Well, impossible to say with certainty, as I have neither survived a civilization-ending apocalypse, nor do I know anyone who has.

I am reminded here of the old saying; guns don't kill people, people kill people. Humans have the capacity to wipe each other out regardless of the tech level. High-tech just makes it easier.

Now, let me plug in a real-world analogy here. Here, in the United States we have a very wide spectrum. We have people like you and I, who choose to spend considerable on the net, posting, gaming and whatever else we do here. On the other hand we have US citizens like the Amish that choose to live with simpler ways.

I can't see the remaining human population subscribing wholesale to this idea without even so much as a vigorous debate. Much more likely, I can see a schism where the various groups spread out, and some may have adapted to simpler ways and others did not.

Even going low-tech makes no assurances: At an Amish-level of technology I can use my axe to fell a tree and raise a barn, or lay it upside someone's head. It's not the technology, it's the mind that wields it.

I can say I'd never be willing to relinquish my level of technology- it's not just about the conveniences, after lots of research on the topic, I am thoroughly convinced that high-tech is going to help save all our asses in the real world. Going to improved transpiration and housing, alternative and renewable energy sources, and taking the massive strain off the planet we're in danger of ruining.

Like I said, I'll help you hunt mammoth...right after I get my laser gun.

As far as the technology goes, if Hera can be found as a fossil and soft tissue can be found inside Tyrannosaurus bones after 65+ million years in the ground (an actual documented find), then they could find Raptors or Vipers.

Sure, they'd mostly disintegrate over 150,000 years, but even if the colonists deliberately destroyed their ships, unless they flew them all into the sun, anything on the ground would leave remains. Paleontologists and archeologists would find anomalous metal alloys they couldn't explain, incongruous to the local geology. In fact, coming from who knows how far away in the galaxy, the ships' remains might even contain elements we don’t know of on earth. Or, isotopes known by modern humanity on Earth, when found, may reveal half-lives that match nothing terrestrial, making it possible to not only date the relics, but determine they are of extraterrestrial origin. Even bits and pieces are likely to reveal signs of artificial manufacture.

And it doesn’t even have to be a colonial spacecraft; a toaster that survives in the strata layers (an actual toaster, not a Cylon) would still possibly have enough remains to reveal itself as a relic from a previous technology level.

And you’re correct; if humanity just up and stopped right now; most of what we have built will have collapsed within a millennium. However, the materials we built them with, relics of our modern day, would endure for a very long time. Enough to prove that we were here.

So there, I've had my uber geek moment and picked the final plot apart on surgical scale, but I've examined what makes sense.

Apple of Eris

I'd have to say this, keep you r laser gun, but what happens when the charge runs out? There only 30K of you, hardly enough to keep a high tech civilzation going indefinately.

Aside from the fact that I don't recall humanity having laser weaponry, rather projectile weapons, and from that were there even toold around to continue manufacturing those? Even if humanity wanted to hold onto the high tech in certain fields, medicine for example, there would have to be sacrifices simpley because of lack of machinery/tools, and a lack of skilled people. Of the 30K people left it's doubtful you'll have enough with all the tech know-how to rebuild everything, and somehow I doubt all the blueprints for those machines we all depend on would be found on the ships. They wer efleeing in a panic, not a planned exodus.

In a generation or two, even if they had certain machines, I doubt there would be anyone left who could truly maintain/rebuild one. Honestly, how many machine operators could build the machines they use in a forge without detailed blueprints. I don't think it was even really a matter of choice, but one of practicality.

That though, is just my opinion :)

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

The Overlord

Well, I was speaking more figuratively with the laser gun reference since it's such a staple to sci-fi in general. Add to that, that the original Batltestar had vipers with laser/blaster/energy weapons, and I still tend to think of the real Vipers as the originals.

All that aside, they generally had the means to maintain the weapons they did have all through the escape from the colonies and to both Earths. The obvious thing were no dry-dock or proper facilities for refitting the Galactica, so sadly the old girl was fated to wear down over time.

But as for the rest, they had the means to repair and keep the fighters and smaller ships running all the way from the colonies, they could have cannibalized a tremendous amount of technology from the fleet before losing it.

I mean, shit, look at Jamestown colony. They came to North American shores in far less numbers and wooden ships, and survived tremendous hardships. They eventually brought about one of the world's greatest countries. Somehow I see an interstellar-capable bunch able to handle at least that.

They had people among their numbers who were clearly technically skilled and could train the next generation. And what about the skinjobs that came with? How long do they live exactly? If they're cyborg, who knows if Six and Boomer would have lived for centuries with the knowledge they needed to not just survive but advance?

Hell, just look at the Chief: He’s a Cylon with god-only-knows how long of a life span, and is one of the most technically skilled members in the fleet.

Thing is, I know we're not going to see a series or even a single movie regarding the A.G. era, After Galactica, but I do hope an official novel is released explaining what happened in the first few centuries.

dafatkat

I don't think that there is really anything to hint that they skin jobs live longer than regular humans. For all we know they could have the same lifespan. In fact whats not really gone into any certain detail is what makes a skin job different than a human?

And I do think you have a point that perhaps if the 30,000 people had stayed together they could of probably done something similar to a Jamestown expedition. However would seem that they split up amongst 4 different spots (Africa, The Tigris/Euphrates, the Amazon, and the Yellow are the ones I saw). Now its true that they would of eventually lost the expertise, eventually.

But the series makes it a huge point to show that Nomadic Humans at the time, did not have a written speech, and Lee makes mention of this. So perhaps we have to ask ourselves maybe they did leave their laser guns behind but they took with them the basic knowledge needed to foster civilization. The wheel, the plow, the cart, simple mathematics, concepts of language and communication, astronomy, etc. etc. So in my opinion they gave to the indigenous peoples they best of themselves and just decided to blend in.
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.

-Aristotle.