Looking to start something new (D&D 5e)

Started by azzmeister89, June 30, 2020, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azzmeister89

So a friend of mine recently (about a year ago) got me into D&D and I've been totally into critical role, all caught up with the second campaign and I'm looking to get properly into playing the game.

I'm looking for a group playing 5E who dont mind taking on a new player who wants to learn the rules and have some fun with playing a game.

Looking forward to hearing from someone.

ElayneTrakand

If you are willing might I join in on your interest for a 5e campaign?
A&A's

"When at 15, my girlfriends started dropping out of their beloved sports teams, because they didn't want to appear muscle-y, when at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings, I decided that I was a feminist." - Emma Watson

Blinkin

Count me in, if you're looking for a group game. Anyone see the youtube announcement a couple of days ago, CR will be starting up again this Thursday, although it'll be pre-recorded. Still, Episode 100 at last. (Yes, I was once called a nerd. These days, geek seems to be so much less a bad word though.

Anyway, if this turns into anything, I would love to play. Maybe I'll finally find a game that will run longer than a couple of weeks. (I have so many slightly used characters that it's not funny!)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

ZameRagues

Are you all looking to play by post, Discord, Roll20, etc?
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Blinkin

My personal preference would be to keep it on the forums. I can't use discord and if I'm not actually playing live, I like the ability to consider my actions that forum play allows.

Sadly, I don't know the system well enough to run it; My actual experience with 5e is about a year of tabletop in a group that was more a catch-as-catch-can than a regular session over about a year. I think that we averaged about a session every 3 weeks of 3.5 hours a session )and a good 45 minutes of listening to 2 players tell everyone everything that has happened that week... and I do mean everything. As the song goes, "I really don't want to know about your flow.") So... about 60 hours total?

Pathfinder, I could probably do, maybe even 3.5...but couldn't give a fair effort for anyone in 5e.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

azzmeister89

I'm hoping for forum play to start, as I said I'm pretty new to D&D so I dont want anything rushed

ElayneTrakand

Ok, I will put the offer out. I have never DMed but if we don't find anyone better I might give it a try. I have a little over a year of experience with 5e.
A&A's

"When at 15, my girlfriends started dropping out of their beloved sports teams, because they didn't want to appear muscle-y, when at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings, I decided that I was a feminist." - Emma Watson

ZameRagues

I can DM for the three of you if you're all alright with it. I'll have some questions later after the sun comes up.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Blinkin

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

azzmeister89

ElayneTrakand

A&A's

ZameRagues

Okay then, few questions for you three.

1. How familiar are you with 5E? I know Azz is new.

2. Are you alright with starting at Level 1? It'll be easier for newer players to learn.

3. What kind of campaign would you all like to play? Gritty, light-hearted, smutty, etc.

4. Is there anything you each would like to see personally from this game?
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Blinkin

Quote from: ZameRagues on July 01, 2020, 09:16:43 PM
1. How familiar are you with 5E? I know Azz is new.

As I mentioned somewhere,  I've played the system for about a year to maybe 15 months in a tabletop format. In total between 60 and 90 hours during that time. I've also been involved in 3 short lived forum games that lasted about 2 months at the longest. So, I'm familiar with it, I think.

2. Are you alright with starting at Level 1? It'll be easier for newer players to learn.

My preference would be level 2+, but I can start at the beginning again if that's what the gang wants.

3. What kind of campaign would you all like to play? Gritty, light-hearted, smutty, etc.

All of the above? I really love a game that runs the gambit from down and dirty in the mud times when you're not sure what to do do to light, even humorous scenes in the local tavern with a sassy wench and an occasional night of debauchery and lechery. "We are the pirates! Yo-ho-ho-ho! ;)

Beyond a nice long term game that beats the odds? Ummmm.... errrr.... ahhhh...nothing else comes to mind! ;)

If I may ask a question or two in return?
Would you object to the Alternate Human Varient rules? I feel like it brings humans up to a more equal footing with the other races.

Do you intend to limit alignments for the characters? what I mean is will you accept or restrict evil alignments?

I'm a blind player. This really doesn't effectanything very much. Would you have any concerns aboutmaking relatively minor changes to combat mapping so I understand the battlefield?

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Rummy Tum Tum

Apologies if I'm intruding, but is this game considered full up? It sparked my interest earlier today but I wasn't sure if 3 players was the max or not. And after reading that extremely relatable desire for a long running game by Blinkin, I had to ask >.>

ZameRagues

@Blinkin
I quite like the Human Variant, adds a lot of possibility to Human characters. So yes it is allowed.

I don't intend to restrict alignments, unless it violently conflicts with the other characters. For example, two characters are good with deep focuses on Justice, and the third is a "murder all bandit", I might ask the third to reconsider. So long as the group can work together, alignment isn't a big deal.

Thank you for letting me know about being blind. No concern at all, and if you have any suggestions that could help I'm open to them.

@Rummy
I would like to keep the game to a smaller group, it helps encounters move a little quicker. Sorry.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Rummy Tum Tum

ElayneTrakand

1. How familiar are you with 5E?
I am quite familiar with D&D and have been playing for little over a year.

2. Are you alright with starting at Level 1?
Works for me, though quick counter question, XP or milestone?

I have several itches that I would happily scratch so I will just list a few, though I am game for most anything. I have long wanted a game that was a bit on the nitty gritty realism and struggling with financing the adventures, leading to starting and running a business of some form. If we go smutty I have a couple of character ideas I want to play with depending on everyone's comfort levels. That said, if we do smutty I personally prefer to still have 'realistic' reactions from people, if a given culture has x belief and see you doing something contrary to x they react.

Will you allow Artificers? If so can we make/use an updated version of the Archivist subclass?
A&A's

ZameRagues

Quote from: ElayneTrakand on July 02, 2020, 02:26:12 AM
1. How familiar are you with 5E?
I am quite familiar with D&D and have been playing for little over a year.

2. Are you alright with starting at Level 1?
Works for me, though quick counter question, XP or milestone?

I have several itches that I would happily scratch so I will just list a few, though I am game for most anything. I have long wanted a game that was a bit on the nitty gritty realism and struggling with financing the adventures, leading to starting and running a business of some form. If we go smutty I have a couple of character ideas I want to play with depending on everyone's comfort levels. That said, if we do smutty I personally prefer to still have 'realistic' reactions from people, if a given culture has x belief and see you doing something contrary to x they react.

Will you allow Artificers? If so can we make/use an updated version of the Archivist subclass?

I plan to use Milestone

I'm fine with Artificers.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Blinkin

Quote from: ZameRagues on July 02, 2020, 02:18:46 AM
I quite like the Human Variant, adds a lot of possibility to Human characters. So yes it is allowed.

I don't intend to restrict alignments, unless it violently conflicts with the other characters. For example, two characters are good with deep focuses on Justice, and the third is a "murder all bandit", I might ask the third to reconsider. So long as the group can work together, alignment isn't a big deal.

Thank you for letting me know about being blind. No concern at all, and if you have any suggestions that could help I'm open to them.

Thanks for letting me play around with a human variant; I know that it's a controversial subject and some players believe that it's over-powered while others make a good argument for it. This will be my first time trying it.

Cool on the alignment answer, you said exactly what I was hoping to see. I encountered the exact problem recently in another group game and the GM didn't address it when it was obviously meant to rationalize attacking other characters.

The blindness thing really isn't a significant problem. The newer versions of D&D actually made it easier by using a grid map. All I need is the coordinates on a grid to tell me where things are. As an example, "Blinkin, YC is at x6, y 12 and so and so is at x8,y10. With a smaller party, this is made much easier to do. If there are differences in terrain height, you could just add something like "Z-10" to indicate that the target is 10 feet below mine. In virtually everything else, it's the same as normal play.

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

ZameRagues

I've been in the those games too. The only evil aligned character that kept running off to kill people, basically wanting to play his own game. I think he got the message when the literal thumb of god killed him for being a twat.

I can do coordinates, thank you.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

azzmeister89

Oooh good questions

1. I own a copy of the players handbook and as previously stated watch critical role but that's as far as it goes for me so far

2. Level 1 works fine for me

3. I'm happy to go with the flow on what you do for the story as the DM

4. I have no prefrences in particular. With our character sheets though, will you be asking for those privately so we can keep any nessesary background information secret until we want to use it or would you prefer we keep it all in the open, also how do you plan to deal with stat rolls?

Blinkin

Personally, I prefer to keep player sheets private and let abilities and so on come out during play. That's the way I did it until coming to E, and as a result, I never look at the CS's anyway.

As far as backgrounds and history, I prefer to provide only what would be easily discovered orobvious indicators. (He talks with a zimion accent, so he must be zimian. ;) )

But, those are just my preferences and it's up to the DM.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

ZameRagues

Character sheet you can send to me through PMs in whatever format you like, mythweavers.com is pretty good.

We'll be starting at level 1 using milestones for progression.
Stats will be 4d6 best 3 for each stat.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Blinkin

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

azzmeister89

Oh thats a good way of doing it. Do I just go to the dice page and then copy the Url after rolling?