Which non-forum RP chat program is best?

Started by Lipstick Epitaph, November 12, 2017, 09:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lipstick Epitaph

I had been using AIM, but that's going to be dying soon. Has anyone found a really good chat program that combines different chats? I have heard that people are starting to use discord. Anyone have good or bad experiences with that?

jeshire

I've switched to Discord since learning AIM was due to kick the bucket soon. (RIP!) I was previously using AIM through the chat program Trillian.

So far, I've found I really enjoy Discord; the ability to create servers with separate channels in particular is a really neat feature, and can be used for one-on-one OR a group setting. My biggest complaint is the lack of auto-logging into a text file, though Discord does save your messages and allow you to search (though not by date, as far as I know). The window itself is kind of large and clunky, but that can be fixed with CSS, and new plugins to customize your experience are coming out/being updated regularly. Other than that, I've had a good experience with it so far.

If it's not your style, Pidgin is a good chat client that supports Discord, Google Talk, IRC, Skype, and a bunch of other protocols. (You can find a list https://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins. It's very plain and, in my experience, a little clunky but I believe it's reliable and straightforward.

Hope that helps!

Doomblade403xxx

Discord and skype are probably the two most popular rp chat programs out there. Both are pretty reliable when it comes to type chatting and what have you. They both also allow for you to break up your chat groups into different servers or groups. When it comes down to the voice chat I have found discord to be the most reliable choice. When I run games off this site its roll20 for maps and tokens and discord for chat.

Murphy Sez

I second Skype, it's especially convenient as you can paste links and it will or show the image, or you can drag and drop images from your drive as well. That and it supports using asterisks to set off emotes, if that's your style.
I love to write, come dream with me.

Get to know me: O/O
Ideas, randomness, pet peeves.

William12261976

My preferred methods of role-playing is Google Doc. Its easy, it saves as you type so you dont lose anything and can make it so only you and your partner can use it.

As for a IM type program, Discord is best. Its discreet, no private info is required and you can create and delete servers easy. 

All of the above is free.

Cheers.

vysethethird

IM wise, you could go with Skype or Discord, though discord is probably the better choice.

Lithos

Google docs for non real time writing, discord for more real time writing (specially being able to make channels is awesome). I still like IRC, too but discord has replaced it for me in great many things.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

SithLordOfSnark

If I plan on writing off site it's Discord or email.
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

Kiva

Verasaille

I like Skype for chatting, and you can have it for groups or solo rps. I like how it saves messages. If you are looking for long term rp with lengthy posts, and want to keep it private, Google Docs is best. I am currently writing a book with Boatman and soon to be published! We use GD exclusively, as we can both edit and save and have a record of all of our craziness.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]