Fried?

Started by Serephino, July 18, 2012, 03:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

My computer won't start up!  I guess while I was gone we had a power surge or something.  I came home and went to turn it back on, forgetting that when it loses power like that a menu comes up.  I usually just tell it to start normally, but I guess since I stepped away it selected scan disk for me after so many seconds.

In stage 2 it did this long recovery list.  I couldn't tell you what it said because it streamed down the screen too fast.  Now it won't start.  I tried the recovery thing, but it just keeps trying to restart over and over again.  I can't even find a safe mode option.  I tried getting it to go to both bios and set up when it's starting up.  The screen will come up, but only stay there a minute before it tries to restart again.  I was forced to power up this crappy little netbook *cries*

Ashleebabe

Sam happened to me. Launch the recovery and you may have to do a system restore. Everything back to the factory settings. Its a pain in the butt but that is how I got my laptop to work

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Oreo

You don't have a dvd in there do you? I had that cycle happen once and the pc kept trying to boot from the dvd instead of the HD. I kept getting an endless black screen of rebooting. :P I had to remove my flash drive too.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Serephino

I was wondering the same thing, so I tried to get into the setup to look.  That loaded only for a minute, then restarted.  It does the same if I go into the bios.  All the repair system does is try to detect and repair the problem.  I can't do anything.  My boyfriend called on his break and he thinks it might be the motherboard :(

Autumn Sativus

In my experience, when the motherboard goes, you don't get that far into booting. Will be interesting to find out the problem though.

My go-to tactic for most large issues is to try booting from a flash drive or DVD into a live distro like Linux to see if the issue is in the drive or the hardware.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Nessy

A fried motherboard probably wouldn't even start. I am wondering though if your machine is overheating. If that is the case, these days they are designed to shut-down before you do fry something and permanently damage it. You didn't say if it is a desktop or a notebook... I am wondering if one of your fans has shorted out, specifically if it is a desktop the the heatsink fan that handles the CPU heat.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Serephino

Now that he's home all he could do was reinstall windows.  It took a while, but seems to have worked.  He thinks some ram might've gotten fried.  We'll see.

Autumn Sativus

MemTest86 to check for fried ram.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~