News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

7 year old brat gets away with killing spree of endangered reptiles

Started by Sabby, December 29, 2008, 05:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

It's all about -choices-.  Ten different people in the same exact situation (any situation) and you will have at least 3 different reactions/outcomes.

Trieste

Quote from: Torch on January 27, 2009, 01:22:10 PM
With all due respect...

Beating, whipping, and punishing this child is of no value here.  At the risk of sounding like an armchair psychiatrist, this child is obviously well on his way to a diagnosis of APD - Antisocial Personality Disorder.  Or more commonly known as sociopathic behavior. A psycopath, if you will.

Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy...take your pick of serial killers, because every single one of them exhibited the exact same behavioral diagnosis.  And no, I'm not against corporal punishment by any means.  My children have received spankings when warranted.  But nothing, repeat, nothing will help this child other than permanent placement in the long-term mental health facility of your choice.  Sociopaths cannot be rehabilitated or cured.  The only cure is complete segregation from society, for his own safety and the safety of others around him.

Is this an opinion (in which case, I'm curious about your authority on the matter) or are you quoting from a source?

I wonder if you're aware that this is one of the most hotly debated topic sin criminal psychology and behavioural science.

Oniya

I decided to go looking, and found the following diagnostic criteria (DSM-IV and DSM-IV-TR)

The psychiatric diagnosis is antisocial personality disorder (APD). This term replaced "sociopath" and only applies if:

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
    (2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
    (3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
    (4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
    (5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others
    (6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
    (7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

B. The individual is at least age 18 years.

C. There is evidence of Conduct Disorder with onset before age 15 years.

D. The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of Schizophrenia or a Manic Episode.

Now, please note B and C above.  This kid cannot be diagnosed as having antisocial behavioral disorder, however, he does show definite warning signs.  He needs help, I don't think anyone can deny that.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17