The Election Thread

Started by Stattick, September 26, 2012, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stattick

O/O   A/A

Reader187

i don't live in the us but it's unavoidable that i get some information's about the election, I'm not really sure who is better for the country but in my personal opinion i think obama has more to offer.
he has created this healthcare insurance project which in most other countries in the world is a normal standard, nothing ordinary, he actually does something for the poor people and not just talks water and drinks wine :)

i mean the USA is a great country with great people, but on some points they are way behind and even the most basic standards i know are still not available there :(

Lets see what the future brings :)

Reader

gaggedLouise

Not safe for work and not safe for Romney - this is about as un-Mormon as you can get in a rock video - but a cool soundtrack for the day:

ARCADIA - ELECTION DAY

Gotta love the bit (around five minutes in) where a man wearing a horsehead mask is wielding a whip at two ladies and their shadows are magnified on the wall, very much "80s s/m chic.  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Avis habilis

Do not under any circumstances trust anything you hear about "extended voting days" or "alternate methods" unless you hear it straight from the goddamn governor's mouth. Voter suppression is now a cottage industry whose tools include everything from misdirection to flat out threats.

Oniya

Considering that Christie is still backing Romney, I wouldn't even trust it then.

I'm sorry, was that outside voice?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on November 06, 2012, 07:28:07 AM
Considering that Christie is still backing Romney, I wouldn't even trust it then.

Just an FYI for Oniya:

The spiel Mr. Torch and I got this morning at the polls in PA is that a photo ID is "appreciated, but not required". So you shouldn't have any trouble when you go to vote.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Oniya

I'll be bringing 'too much information', as usual.  My Ohio 'walkers ID' (has my picture, gov't issue, just wrong state), my SS card (I iz a citizin!), my last electric bill (I live HERE), and my PA Voter ID card.  I just do better at dealing with confrontation if I walk in expecting it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Valerian

Quote from: Oniya on November 06, 2012, 07:28:07 AM

Substitute "Walker" for "Christie", and that's where I'm at, too.

Walker promised a few days ago to deliver Wisconsin's electoral votes to Romney, which leads me to believe the fix is already in.  If Romney takes Wisconsin, despite Obama leading in every single poll by at least five points, we'll know something is up.   >:(
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

gaggedLouise

Christie has authorized voting by e-mail or fax, it's now being reported both by NBC, the BBC and the Huffington Post. Those who use that option will have to give up the right to a fully secret ballot though - obviously the functionaries who are receiving the input will see who those people voted for

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Avis habilis

Not good, but not terrible. I've heard that troops serving overseas have had to put up with the same kludge for years - fax in their vote to whoever's collecting them back in the States.

Oniya

Back from voting (no stickers at my place either.  :( )  They took my Ohio ID as proof that I was who I said I was, and my utility bill as proof of residence.  The little Oni was allowed in, and was asked twice if it was her first time voting - I was congratulated for bringing her to see the process 'so she'd know what to do when it was her turn'.  We had paper ballots, and I'll admit I was a little obsessive about filling in the squares instead of just X-ing them.

Valerian

Excellent.  ;D  I really wish more parents would do that sort of thing.  Kids mostly seem to either not care at all about the process, or think of it as some dark, mysterious, incomprehensible ritual, and neither one is a good thing.

And I also obsess about filling in the spaces just so.  It was the same thing on those standardized tests in school.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

Well, new district and all, I wasn't sure what their policies and procedures would be.  It's one thing when they can watch the whole process (getting the ballot, filling it out, and handing it in to be scanned) and another thing if they just have to sit and watch you go into a little booth while they sit outside and wait.  This is the first Presidential election that I figured she'd be old enough to handle either situation.

Iniquitous

Went and did my voting first thing this morning. Then came home to this on my facebook.

2012 Voting Machines Altering Votes
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Dashenka

And then the Americans comment on the way Russia votes...  :-X
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Valerian

Remember, you can always ask for a paper ballot.  I'm not sure if every state has the same laws, but around here, anyone who requests a paper ballot to fill out instead of using the machine must be allowed to have one.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

As if I needed more distractions:  http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/ has auto-updating maps of the election results.  They're currently showing 0.7% of New Hampshire has been reported.  ;D

Serephino

My parents took me with when I was a kid.  The only thing that's changed is those stupid machines that I always have trouble with.  I hate those machines.  My boyfriend gets off work at 2 so we're going then.

Oreo

Thanks for the link, Oniya. That will make it so much easier for me to keep up without having to go to the other room to see the tv. ;D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Oniya

Quote from: Oreo on November 06, 2012, 11:15:02 AM
Thanks for the link, Oniya. That will make it so much easier for me to keep up without having to go to the other room to see the tv. ;D

Hey, the Internet's got everything!  Compared to finding the lyrics to Bonanza, this was cake!

Valerian

Great.  So much for getting anything else done today.  :P

Also, the map, it taunts me.  According to the shading, quite a few states have partial results for the various senate races, but mousing over them shows that they're actually all still at zero.  Hmph.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on November 06, 2012, 09:11:15 AM
Back from voting (no stickers at my place either.  :(

Bahh, must be a Pennsylvania thing.

Curse you, Keystone State, for denying us our right to stickers! *shakes fist*
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Mister Grimm

Quote from: Oniya on November 06, 2012, 11:02:09 AM
As if I needed more distractions:  http://www.politico.com/2012-election/map/#/President/2012/ has auto-updating maps of the election results.  They're currently showing 0.7% of New Hampshire has been reported.  ;D

I like how you can click on the states in this map to see the breakdown of each county.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Oniya

Can someone without a tinfoil hat explain how these results:

Overall Results

1.6% Reporting
R   Winner M. Romney   43.7%   23,558
D   B. Obama (i)   55.4%   29,838
L   G. Johnson   0.4%   230
G   J. Stein   0.3%   150
O   V. Goode   0.2%   111

make any sense?  (Yes, SC is currently colored red on the map.)

TheGlyphstone

About as much sense as Illinois' results:

D   Winner B. Obama (i)   25.0%   11
R   M. Romney   25.0%   11
L   G. Johnson   25.0%   11
G   J. Stein   25.0%   11

Amused that Romney lost Massachusetts.