Forgotten Realms - Heroic Fantasy [ D&D 4e, interest check ]

Started by Hemingway, December 19, 2014, 02:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Hello!

I would like to DM ( or play, if someone has a strong inclination to DM ) a 4e game, set in the Forgotten Realms. I'd like to play using roll20 – it's really a requirement for me, as it just makes rolling and keeping track of the map easy – while also providing interesting roleplaying opportunities. I'd like to get at least 3 players, and no more than 5. My time zone is CET, but I'm generally available quite late - often as late as 4AM CET / 10 PM EST - on all days. I'd like starting a low level, but not entirely from the beginning.

With regard to the plot, here's what I have: It will be set in Cormyr, in the 4e Forgotten Realms timeline. Our heroes will be involved in dealing with both foreign and domestic threats to Cormyr, and I will try to include a balance of combat and intrigue. In what ratio depends, not least on the opinions of interested parties.

I previously said I wouldn't restrict peoples' character choices, and that's still true - with a few limitations. I don't have any set roles for people to fill, but some preferences or archetypes, if you will, which I would appreciate if at least some characters could fill. I'll include more of these than there will be players, so that no one should feel pressured into picking a particular one. And, of course, if you'd rather come up with your own, that's entirely fine - so long as the character's presence can somehow be justified in a conflict involving Cormyr and Netheril ( a renegade drow could likely fit - a dragonborn from Abeir would be trickier ). A few of the ones I'd like are:

• A Purple Dragon Squire. In essence, a character who is on the path to becoming a Purple Dragon Knight - without the player necessarily being forced into that path when or if the time comes ( as such, references to Forgotten Realms paragon paths below are meant as archetypes, rather than necessarily being what I expect people to play ).
  • A War Wizard of Cormyr Apprentice - much the same as above, and likely a partner of the squire described above.
  • A Ghost of Eventide - a rogue from Cormyr, with experience dealing with Netheril.
  • An Umbriri, a shadowy, magical fighter previously aligned with Netheril - likely to face scrutiny from both sides.
  • An elf of the Dales - possibly a ranger with a also fighting against Netheril, who gets dragged into a more complex conflict.

I don't know what else to mention right off the bat, but I'd welcome questions. If something isn't mentioned here already, it's likely because my mind isn't entirely made up on the relevant point yet, and I'd love the chance to, well, make it up.

Cheers!

Flying Tengu

Speaking as someone who LOVES 4e, and has had some great times role-playing with it, I don't think it does the pbp format very well. Combats can take a while, and there are lots of interrupt actions. In my opinion, combats really need to be done via chat or something, which can be hard to organize.

Just my two cents.

Hemingway

Muse

I hope you enjoy and wihs you the best of luck.  Only started writing this to tell Tengu about Roll 20. 

*Bites his tongue and runs away screaming* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Flying Tengu

Very true, very true. Sounds like you're prepared, then.

Alas, I have no free time, so I can't take part. Sounds fun though, and good luck!

FragarachZ

I'm interested in this. I'm also in CET zone and I would love to take part in a 4e game :) 3.5 kind of lost it's charm for me though.
O&O

Hemingway

Symbol of Torment! I like it!

I lean toward 4e as well, simply because it gives me a very sort of heroic vibe. I suppose there's nothing to do but wait and see if others are interested too, then. In the meantime, questions?

FragarachZ

What can change the nature of a man?
What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?
Since this is E, would this be an adult-themed game?
I trust you'll give us character creation options once there's enough interest? As in what sources will be available, how we determine ability scores, starting equipment etc?
Why is the sky blue?
Are we talking post-spellplague as in during the sundering when the weave is restored, or just in the 4e forgotten realms?
O&O

Hemingway

Quote from: FragarachZ on December 19, 2014, 04:39:45 PM
What can change the nature of a man?

Hmm. Regret.

QuoteSince this is E, would this be an adult-themed game?

Well - not necessarily. I'd like to keep it separate from the action, at least. I don't really know how - it's one of the things that's still undecided.

QuoteI trust you'll give us character creation options once there's enough interest? As in what sources will be available, how we determine ability scores, starting equipment etc?

Yes! I think most of core will be fine, but I prefer having players run their characters by me before they make a final decision. I'd rather avoid pure powergaming ( I play with a guy who makes a sport out of finding the most broken builds in 3.5 - it's pretty exhausting! ), and for story reasons there may be a few limits on classes and races - but that applied more to if it was going to be 3.5, really.

QuoteAre we talking post-spellplague as in during the sundering when the weave is restored, or just in the 4e forgotten realms?

4e Forgotten Realms. I'm not a huge fan of all the changes they made, but again, it gives me this very heroic sort of high fantasy feel, so it's not all bad.

I may have left out a few questions, but I trust I got the most important ones!

Hemingway

I updated this, in hopes of making it more attractive to people by fleshing it out a bit more. Notable changes:

It's officially 4e now.

I fleshed out the sort of plot I'd be interested in, including some loose archetypes for characters I'd like for people to play ( and tweak or change as they desire ).

FragarachZ

I have a character concept in mind but I'm not sure it would fit the setting/theme of your adventure. So far the closest to my playstyle from the listed archetypes would be the elf ranger.
O&O

Hemingway

As I hope I made clear enough, I don't want to alienate people because character choices seem limited. If you have a character concept, just run it by me ( when or if this ever gets off the ground ), and I'll let you know how well I think it'll fit.

All I really want to avoid is a situation like in another game I'm DMing, where I tried to create a heroic fantasy story and ended up with, among other things, a neutral evil ur-priest. And three wizards, for some reason.

That said, I'm not by any means going to force people into a particular set of 4e combat roles or anything. There will be combat, but not for its own sake, and not so challenging as to require a fully optimized party.

Ixy

As someone with very very little experience with 4e or FR, but a big fan of roleplaying games in general, do you have any role for which I could reasonably apply?

TFcommando

I too like 4e and heroic adventure, but am curious about the degree of adult content (I'm hoping for more than could be seen an FR novel, though not, say, sexual combat).  This is E after all, one of the few places where you could do such a thing!

I have a vaguely defined character notion, or at least a few aspects I'd like to try... an arcane caster, warlock, sorceress or wizard, haven't narrowed it down yet, brazen and shameless about cavorting with demonic powers and about sex, an exhibitionist or even a nudist... very few "good" signifiers, but still a good person (or good-leaning unaligned).  Perhaps a renegade Red Wizard who couldn't tolerate the undead upper echelon, a decadent noblewoman who dabbled in "dark" powers or an apprentice who was going to be sacrificed by her master and is now on the opposite side of all that for her own health and safety (and some conscience). 

(Also pleasantly plump and not afraid to show it, as a contrast to the usually-slender fantasy heroes). 

She might be residing in Cormyr as the War Wizards keep a tight reign on dark forces and magics in the city, something useful considering she might have an enemy along those lines, and she might know more about said powers than most of the War Wizards, explaining how she gets involved. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

FragarachZ

My own idea was a charge monkey ef scout from the Dales :)
O&O