Guild Wars 2 sandbox, now recruiting (LGBT friendly)

Started by Dhi, September 16, 2014, 04:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

What is this game?

This is a freeform Guild Wars game within the existing world of Tyria, centering on the rebuilding city of Lion’s Arch. No knowledge of Guild Wars is needed to play.  It is mostly a high fantasy setting with a little black powder and technology thrown in. Crash and myself will be your GMs so please ask us any questions you may have. Our intent is to make this game more about life in Tyria. You do not have to play a human ranger or asura necromancer. You can be an outcast skritt (rat person) or a massive kodan (polar bear person). Many characters you find will be everyday people living in this fantastic world. We encourage you to have develop why your character is in Lion’s Arch. Are they there to help rebuild the city? If so what skills do they bring to the table? Are they on the run and hiding in a city were the law can be bought? This is not an RP about endless questing or raiding. We can do that on the Guild Wars servers, this is a game about character development in a world many of us enjoy but want a little more roleplaying. That is not to say there will be no adventure or excitement, this game is a sandbox and very much what you the players make of it. If you want to gather some other players and rescue a Captain’s daughter from the centaurs of the Blood Hill Camps please do, we encourage players to come up with plots of their own within Lion’s Arch and its surrounding areas.

The Setting of Guild Wars 2
Guild Wars takes place on the world of Tyria, a steam-age fantasy setting which is simultaneously addicted to magic and under threat from the godlike Elder Dragons who serve as the planet's antibodies against magic. Six of these Elder Dragons now walk Tyria, and where they arise whole nations are consumed.

Humans in Guild Wars are in decline, having lost the nation of Ascalon to war and Orr, the city of its gods, to the dragon Zhaitan. The land of Kryta is waging its own losing battle with the native centaurs, and her allies in distant Elona and Cantha have been silent- these lands may already be lost.
Charr are humanity's former enemies, a hardened, leonine, highly structured warrior race who now occupy lost Ascalon. For life a charr is hard, as from the day they leave their mother's nipple each cub enters into rigorous military training. Although a treaty for peace is being negotiated, for many it is an unwanted alliance, and tensions remain high on either side.
Asura are a diminutive goblin-like race from deep in the earth, driven to the surface by the awakening of the dragon Primordius. Obsession with genius and intellectual achievement have elevated asura technology to the highest in all of Tyria. Under the name of the Great Alchemy, their understanding of chemistry and physics mirrors our own, although magic- an indisputable fact of the world- remains intertwined with their science.
Sylvari are new to the world, plant beings born from magical trees. Without a history or culture of their own, they have learned from Tyria's other races, and especially from the philosophical writings of the centaur sage Ventari. The alien, almost fey mind of sylvari are distrusted by many, and dark rumor is that the sylvari may be the harbingers of a still slumbering dragon, temporarily diverted from their sinister purpose by Ventari's teachings and the efforts of their Firstborn leaders.
Norn are solitary giantkin from the frozen north who revere animal spirits. A culture with heavy emphasis on hunts and heroism have led many to their doom attempting to fight Jormag, the Elder Ice Dragon. Some cultists have even begun to revere the dragon as a new spirit of the wild, but those who heed their allies to the south understand that the dragons hunger only for destruction.

This is to say nothing of the serpentine krait, the deep sea largos, the avian tengu, the thieving skritt, the barbaric ogre and centaur, the adorable quaggan, and more ghosts, dread beasts, and magic than any adventurer could hope to face alone.

The City of Lion's Arch is...
Cosmopolitan. Generations of refugees, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers have made the autonomous free city their new home, and brought a little slice of distant places with them. As a trade nexus of the Lion Road and major port of the Sea of Sorrows, Lion's Arch sees a constant traffic of strange visitors.

Neutral Ground. Outside the jurisdiction of crown and legion, old foes parley and strange bedfellows come together to survive the threat of the Elder Dragons. As shining beacons to the spirit of unity goes, Lion's Arch is not untarnished, but it may yet outlast us all.

Rough. The peace of the pirate trading post is kept by the mercenary Lionguard, who answer only to the coin of the Captain's Council- a committee of self-styled respectable merchants hailing from a long line of dread corsairs. Step through one of the alchemical asura gates to a distant city, though, and you're on your own!

Unbroken. A hundred years ago, the tsunami caused by the raising of Orr could not extinguish the frontier spirit of Lion's Arch. Over the drowned ruins, a new haven was built out of broken ships on the islets of dry ground. More recently, when Lion's Arch was devastated by the airships of sylvari terrorist Scarlet Briar, the resolve of Lion's Arch was tested again. In time, it will rebuild.

Beyond Lion's Arch

Gendarran Fields
As part of its long path from the coast to the Shiverpeaks, the Lion Road cuts through pastoral landscape to the north of Lion's Arch. Queen Jennah, sovereign of the human kingdom of Kryta, holds claim over this fertile land and protects it against the incursion of centaurs who contest it as their ancient burial grounds. The meltwater of the Shiverpeaks trickles down through a great logging dam which has cleared great swathes of the forest to make way for farmland; at the foot of the dam, large and plentiful Gendarr Lake provides irrigation to the whole region.

Bloodtide Coast
In the shadow of Lion's Arch, south along the coast, is a lawless stretch whose sagging swamps and rocky island caves hide the infamous pirates of the Sea of Sorrows. When they aren't feuding with one another, the corsairs have their hands full with undead washed up from risen Orr. Although the Lion Road makes a foothold of civilization among these rogues and the cave-dwelling hylek tribes, its jungles are full of danger and forbidding mystery, luring many a foolhardy adventurer to their demise.

Character Sheet:

[float=right][img height=400 padding=8]<insert image.  We are looking for fantasy artwork more than anime or real life images>[/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]
[b]Player:[/b]
[b]Concept:[/b] <What does your character do?  This isn’t a MMORPG class or profession.  We don’t really care about that.  How does your character make a living?  How do they contribute to Lion’s Arch?  Concepts could be things like Aspiring Privateer Captain, Loyal Member of the Lionguard, Blackmarketeer with a Grudge>
[b]Trouble:[/b]<This is something about your character than constantly comes back to haunt them.  It could be as simple as Always Puts Her Foot in Her Mouth or Family Drama to as complex as Wanted by the Captain’s Council for Treason.>
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Orientation:[/b]
[b]On’s:[/b]
[b]Off’s:[/b]

[b]Description:[/b]
Eyes
Hair
Height
Weight
<Add Text, Images or Both>

[b]Personality:[/b]
Give four traits that define your character such as: Noble, Captivating, Barbaric, Diplomatic, Militant, Scoundrel, Unpredictable, Charming, Honorable, Brute…etc.

What else should we know about your character’s personality?

[b]Alliances:[/b] Lionguard, Ministry Guard, Order of Whispers, Vigil, Durmand Priory, Separatists, Out only for themselves…etc.

Alliances are optional

[b]Likes and Dislikes:[/b]<Non-sexual>

[b]One Unique Thing:[/b]<Give us one unique thing about your character>

[b]Background:[/b]<Give us at least three paragraphs of background.  You don't have to know much about the game world.  It is basically a fantasy world.  Lion's Arch is a city that is being rebuilt after it was destroyed by Scarlet Briar's airship drill.  Pieces of that airship still remain in the harbor and in the city. Nearby areas open for play are the Bloodtide Coast to the south with fishing villages, swamps, forest, pirate islands...etc.  Gendarran Fields lies to the north with its own bandit, undead and centaur issues.  It is filled with farms and manor houses and Lake Grendarr with its own island.>

Helpful Links
The major races
Humans
Charr
Asura
Sylvari
Norn

Supernatural elements
Magic
The Mists
The Elder Dragons

Religion
The Six Human Gods
Norn Spirits of the Wild

Ghostwheel

For what it's worth, I logged over 6k hours on GW1, and played a decent amount of GW2. While I'm probably not going to apply (I prefer system games, and I get the feeling this one's going to be freeform--though if I'm wrong correct me and I'll prolly jump in if it's the right system), I applaud this topic.

Dhi

The potential GM is big on the FATE system right now, but I personally would be against using a system.

Ghostwheel

That's cool. I'm personally into Pathfinder these days, though I've been meaning to take a look at 5e for a bit. Those kinds of gamist systems (as opposed to a narrativist system like FATE) would probably fit the world decently (go out and kill the undead hordes, stop the Flame Legion or the Inquest, and so on), but if that doesn't float your boat I can understand.

Interdiction of words

Interest is good and nice so I will look into this
Posts are currently: Medium
Darn work and school is getting in the way. I will get posts out as fast as I can but it is going to be hard on me as for you.

Oh my, I haven't posted on our thread? PM me or check out my A&A

johnnyboyboy

Play both games and love them, throwing my interest into the pot.
Just some quotes.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.”

"As time goes on, and our paths continue to unfold  though I do not know what will happen, whether we  continue together through life, all that I ask of you is that you remember me."
On/offs https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=205898.0

Shjade

I'll note my interest. Though, if that's actually a negative for you rather than a positive, no worries, I can keep my distance.

For what it's worth, I'd lean freeform as well simply because of the inherent trickiness of converting one game's mechanics to a completely different game's mechanics...but then, I usually favor freeform anyway, so I'm probably biased. ;p

Query: interest notwithstanding, what kind of scale were you hoping for in this theme? Like, huge world where players just kinda wander around and make RP between themselves wherever they happen to be, or smaller group with a more defined story to follow, or...?

*goes to look up this FATE business ... wait, no, it's almost 2 am; makes a note to look up this FATE business at a more sane hour z.z*
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Crash

Interested when I can post again, but I think you already know this. ;)

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

la dame en noir

I haven't dabbled in GW in a few months, but I know enough about to want ot play this! I'm definitely thinking of making myself a Norn for this if I do join! :)
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Cold Heritage

I am not sure if I am the right kind of interest, and my knowledge of the lore is modest at best, but I am interested.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Dhi

The right kind of interest would be players who can bring their own plots into a sandbox game. If someone would be lost for what to do, or park their character until something interesting happens, that would be the wrong kind of interest, because it would result in the game perishing very quickly.

These are unfortunately behaviors I see sometimes in Elliquiy group games, even the sandbox ones, so I have to weigh interest with a grain of, well, is this person prepared to do more than just make a character and respond to prompts?

Crash

I think a modest knowledge would be fine.  Really not much cannon knowledge would be needed as at its heart it is a fantasy game.  A willingness to jump in and be proactive about your character is a must for these kind of games.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Dhi on September 22, 2014, 06:10:10 PM
The right kind of interest would be players who can bring their own plots into a sandbox game. If someone would be lost for what to do, or park their character until something interesting happens, that would be the wrong kind of interest, because it would result in the game perishing very quickly.

These are unfortunately behaviors I see sometimes in Elliquiy group games, even the sandbox ones, so I have to weigh interest with a grain of, well, is this person prepared to do more than just make a character and respond to prompts?

I understand. Since those are things that I have done in the past in sandbox games and things I can easily see myself doing in the future, I apologize for wasting your time. Please disregard my posts.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Dhi

I'm surprised. Didn't we play together in... Shadowrun: Seattle 2070, or something? Shadowrun was another sandbox game, same type of thing.

undisclosedtoyou

Yes!  I knew I'd find this if I looked for it!  So yeah, this is me putting in my interest, you can consider my interest piqued! 
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Crash

I will delve more into this again in about 4 months when my school load lightens up.  Dhi and I need to have a talk about how we want to see this run and I am still worried about having enough players for a sandbox.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

AngelicBlade

Color me a interested. Unfortunately for me I could never find an RP guild in Guild Wars so I never really got to RP in it. So I hope this'll curb some of that craving.

Mingnon

Depending on what kind of angle this RP takes, I might join in too. And yeah, like Angelic I find it pretty hard to find an RP guild (that I'd be willing to join >__>; )
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Dhi

What kind of angle would interest you, Mingnon?

Mingnon

Something more smaller-scale than epic fights; basically a focus on adventures and story arcs, whether they'd relate to a character or Tyrian lore. Though I assume that could be the case already.
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Crash

Sandbox works best with smaller scale stories and the players really dictate how big or tied into the world they want to be, so I don't think that would be an issue.  I tend to go with smaller more personal stories myself in a sandbox setting.

Dhi

That's what appeals to me as well. You can already fight all the things you like in the game itself, right? A group game opens the door for interpersonal stories.

Crash

That said if someone wants to run off and fight some Grawl they are more than welcome to do so.  It will be up to the individual player really.  Dhi and I don't plan on running a combat oriented game simulation.  I know I want the story and the character development here that we lack in game.

Crash

I may have to make a Mesmer when I get back to E...