News:

Main Menu

Turok Demo

Started by Sabby, January 27, 2008, 05:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Remember Turok? Yeah, those games were cool :)

Remember Turok Evolution? Remember how playing it pretty much raped your N64 days right there. Damn that game was bad... Acclaim went bankrupt, and the dinosaur hunter met a pretty sad end.

Propaganda Studios bought the license, and now a demo is up :) gotta say, its pretty damn awesome.

You begin in a cave, armed with two SMG's and bulky black man. Making your way out, you'll eventually face Raptors. I was surprised when I killed my first one. It had rushed me and I unloaded a clip on it, causing it to crash and tumble to where it would thrash around as a ragdoll, slowly dying. The physics are pretty damned good.

Moving on, I saw some very pretty grass physics. Sneaking through this grass, which would bend as I passed over it, I put a knife into a mans throat and dropped him to the ground.

Now this part was very cool looking. Hiding on a rock, I shot a flare into and enemy camp. As they tried to figure out where it had come from, the grass had started rustling and suddenly a man had been tackled by a Raptor.

The voice acting/ screams were horrific and believable. The grass would rustle and toss about as the dinosaur mauled the man, its tail thrashing about.

Then it pounced at another man, slamming him against a solid wall. The remaining men opening fire and soon there were only 2 Raptures remaining, and a few dead men.

I tossed a grenade, and the first was blown into soft, fleshy pieces of meat, which rained down everywhere. Nice soft matter physics. The blast had sent a wave over the grass, which looked VERY nice.

The other Rapture had been sent tumbling. As it got up, I rushed it, leaping onto its back and sawing at its neck, riding it to the ground.

Then came an all out assault with you and Large Black Man charging into an enemy camp, with Albino Dying Man sniping up top. Duel wielding an SMG and a Shotgun, it was intense, people flying under hails of gunfire, their corpses crashing down in the grass, which reacted nicely.

Just before the demo was over, I got my hands on a very powerful gun, which would chew apart an enemy easily with a stream of blue gun fire. It also launched grenades which had an intense and devastating explosion. Very nice special effects.

Over all, I'm impressed :)

King_Furby

I can't play it but i did see a special on it on TV.

Turok has very state of the art AI. The AI act just like the player can, they will take cover and sneak around trying to flank you. The dinosaurs are also very well done. They will try to eat the players and even each other. The AI is made so you won't get exactaly the same experience twice. You can even use the dinosaurs to your advantage to help take out your enemy. I guess it has melee fighting too. It looks like an awesome game though.

Sabby

The demo at least was great :) but all that stuff about advanced A.I. and never getting the same reaction twice is just a load of crap to promote the game. The A.I. is good, but its nothing we haven't seen a million times before.

The grass though... cannot get over that grass <3

King_Furby

The AI was designed to react to how the player plays. Well i know it's not really true about the reaction thing but it's close enough. There are a large enough variey of ways the AI react and how you can do the levels. Again i am getting this from the special i seen.

But yes the grass looked cool, i personally also like the looks of the animation and weapons.

Sabby

And thrashing raptor ragdolls. It looked so real how they kicked out and rolled around, dying slowly.