Been thinking about starting a group game; no clue where to start. HELP!

Started by Keaton, December 16, 2015, 12:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keaton

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate board to seek advice, if not feel free to move this thread elsewhere.

It did seem like the place to get tips on being a GM and what should be included when starting a group game.

Like the title said, I've been considering trying to start one but am not sure where to begin.

Any advice?

Ons & Offs  Search Thread  Apologies & Absences   Current Stories: 1

persephone325

Hey you. :P

Well, it depends on a few things. The main one being...an idea! It can be anything from a general idea that makes for a very freeform sandbox type of game, where the players drive the plot themselves. As well as being able to create their own little plots. Or, it can be something like a D&D game, where there is more structure and the game is very linear in it's path.

(It's late here, and that's really the only thing I can thing of right now... >.< There's definitely more, but my brain...can't brain. lol)
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Keaton

Cassandra LeMay

One good place to start might be the "what to cover in an intro post" thread here in the GM's corner: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=164265.0

All that is just suggestions, but I think it makes for a good checklist of things to at least think about before starting a group game, even if you decide not to adress all of those points in a "looking for players" post.

The whole question is a bit difficult to answer because it's so open ended. Perhaps you could tell us a little about what you have in mind and also how much experience you have with group games? The latter could help avoid telling you stuff you might already be well aware of.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Keaton

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on December 16, 2015, 11:53:01 AM
One good place to start might be the "what to cover in an intro post" thread here in the GM's corner: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=164265.0

All that is just suggestions, but I think it makes for a good checklist of things to at least think about before starting a group game, even if you decide not to adress all of those points in a "looking for players" post.

The whole question is a bit difficult to answer because it's so open ended. Perhaps you could tell us a little about what you have in mind and also how much experience you have with group games? The latter could help avoid telling you stuff you might already be well aware of.

I've run some small group games before but that was quite some time ago. So I have some experience but not a ton.

I did initially look into that checklist which seemed very helpful at least in terms of organization and what to include when searching for players, etc.  :-)

Amelita

I'm actually working on a guide of sorts on the topic. It's only a skeleton atm but I'll send you what I got. Maybe it'll give you ideas :)

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Keaton

Quote from: Amelita on December 16, 2015, 12:03:45 PM
I'm actually working on a guide of sorts on the topic. It's only a skeleton atm but I'll send you what I got. Maybe it'll give you ideas :)

Much appreciated, Ames.  :-)

HairyHeretic

Well, on starting up a game, a few thoughts would be ..

1 - What's the idea? Do you have the game firmly constructed in your mind, or are you looking for player input in building it?
2 - System or freeform? There are pros and cons to each
3 - Pro active or reactive? Will it be an open sandbox for your players to come up with ideas and drive the plot, or will you be guiding them from one encounter to the next?

For GMing tips, try this thread
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=88480
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Keaton

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 16, 2015, 01:16:21 PM
Well, on starting up a game, a few thoughts would be ..

1 - What's the idea? Do you have the game firmly constructed in your mind, or are you looking for player input in building it?
2 - System or freeform? There are pros and cons to each
3 - Pro active or reactive? Will it be an open sandbox for your players to come up with ideas and drive the plot, or will you be guiding them from one encounter to the next?

For GMing tips, try this thread
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=88480

Thanks, Harry Hairy.

Well, I'll try to fill in the blanks a little, although I have nothing too concrete in my head yet:

1- No f***ing clue yet. Any input is great, though. I am thinking something loosely modern/contemporary, possibly set in the future.
2-Freeform, definitely.
3- I'm also definitely thinking sandbox rather than encounter-based.

HairyHeretic

Well, the first thing to do is work out the bare bones of your story. Even if you want input from other players, you need something there to build on.

If you're going for a sandbox, make that very clear from the start. Proactive and reactive are very different playstyles, and you want to make sure that your players know what is expected for the game.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.