Sands of Kidnapping (Slight Humor) *Filled*

Started by Sairin, February 03, 2012, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

I really love the ideas, especially that it's a meritocracy.  :-)
Name: Edgar Raubriter
Position: Bodyguard of Victoria Kryton
Appearance:
Other stuff: Edgar is highly skilled with most pole-arms, but prefers to use a halberd (and consequently, is the most skilled at its use) due to it being particularly good against both infantry and cavalry; even against other pole-arm wielders. He has a moderate talent at hurling javelins; his accuracy is only so-so, but his superb physical strength allows him to hurl the javelin incredible distances. he also is modestly (read: no more than average) skilled with using a dagger.

Edgar is very much a brute. He is large (at 6'2 and 260 lbs), muscular, somewhat slow, but makes up for it with an amazing constitution.  His tenacity is well known amongst his own side, where he is sometimes given the epithet "The Unbreakable".

He is a very stoic man, not prone to emotional outbursts, except in incredibly rare and specific circumstances. While not a genius by any means, he does possess a modicum of tactical skills.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Aoife

Well, over time any meritocracy tends to devolve, but in an idyllic sense, why not? Good idea about a minor description too, btw.

Other Stuff:

Victoria is a prime example of rising through merit, having ascended to the post of Marshal through raw tactical acumen and a vicious hand with both sword and the finer intricacies of politics.  While still rash and impulsive by her Father's standards, she commands a high degree of admiration from the man, especially after the Queen's death during the delivery of their only child.  Given that the King exists only so long as he is useful to the Krytoni, he groomed his daughter after the finest qualities of the Krytoni elite, and then gave her leave to complete her education with practical experience. Passing from tutor to tutor, she entered the Bloodied Sands as a recruit at the age of twelve, alongside all other potential recruits to the army.  Awarded no special treatment, she fought her way to distinction over the next five years, rising through the infantry, and later, officer ranks as she continued to distinguish herself in the service.  After the Battle of the Shanii Plains, where a poorly equipt and exhausted Kryton army thoroughly bested a superior numerical and fresh force, she was awarded her post as Marshal at the age of twenty-three.  The last two years have seen a brutal campaign of expansion, largely crushing the northern Shakou land holdings, and taking the primary agrarian lands of the Shakou - cutting off essential foodstuffs and eventually starving the Shakou empire into submission. Largely held in respect by her troops, she is nonetheless seen as a harsh taskmaster and altogether too willing to win at any, and all, costs.

Her sole sources of distraction lay in her maid and bodyguard, the only two direct luxuries she allowed herself.  Her maid has been a friend from the earliest time of her childhood, and the two grew up together from wrestling in the mud to deep conversations along the palace rooftops (much to the horror of the guards).  If anyone in the world can be counted as a confidant to the Princess, it would be her handmaiden. Her bodyguard was more of a forced choice, with her father outright ordering the girl to take a second if she was to be leading some many incursions from the front of the battle, rather than from the rear like a sensible commander. He has served her since her elevation to the lower echelons of the officer ranks, and was a personal pick on the part of the Princess. He has served with both dignity and consummate loyalty, and has been personally recognized for his service  with the privilege of attending to the Princess at all hours, a position only given to the closest confidantes of the Royal family. One of the running jokes among the infantry is that he is also one of the very few people able to reign the Princess in, offering enough tactical wisdom to turn what could be an exposed pursuit into a cautious and deadly united thrust into Shakou lands.  Given the propensity to follow her second's advice when it is sound, the two are considered a single command element.

BellaVita

I love where this is going. :D I think I'll add some things too.

Other stuff:

Daphne was born in the palace, and from a young age was taught to be a companion for the princess. Her mother also works in the palace, as a cook, and always brought Daphne up to be kind and courteous. However, even with all her training, she still is very stubborn and strong-willed. Never afraid to speak her mind, she will often give her opinion, even if it's not needed.

Victoria is more like a sister to Daphne, and always has been. They are practically inseparable, rarely going anywhere without the other. Even when they were younger, they received the same training and tutors. When they had to attend the parties and gatherings, Daphne was never considered a 'maid', but more like a friend. Often, she and Victoria would stand in the corner, making fun of some of the other girls, some even trying to make a pass at Victoria's bodyguard, Edgar. At first, Daphne didn't like Edgar, but after a while, he grew on her. She liked to tease him, mostly about his seriousness and one of her favorite games to play is "Let's make Edgar laugh", and she has only succeeded a few times.

Jecht

I'm still with Team Shakou. I'm thinking Alexander will be like the prince in Prince of peria (the game not the god awful movie). Arrogant but charming. Not the brightest but street smart.
In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. You promised you'd take me there again some day... but you never did. Well, I'm alone there now in our special place... waiting for you.
Ons and Off
My ideas
I'm sorry

BellaVita

Quote from: Jecht on February 08, 2012, 05:32:42 PM
I'm still with Team Shakou. I'm thinking Alexander will be like the prince in Prince of peria (the game not the god awful movie). Arrogant but charming. Not the brightest but street smart.

Just be prepared for one sassy-mouthed prisoner!

Jecht

Quote from: BellaVita on February 08, 2012, 05:53:27 PM

Just be prepared for one sassy-mouthed prisoner!
Haha be prepared for a lot of "Well, Excuuuuuse me Princess!" and other sarcastic lines. I can already tell this will be extremely fun.
In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. You promised you'd take me there again some day... but you never did. Well, I'm alone there now in our special place... waiting for you.
Ons and Off
My ideas
I'm sorry

BellaVita

Indeed. I wonder if there will be romance? Hmm.. I can already see some good pairings in my head, XD

Aoife

Same ^^  There's a large amount of possibility for some very interesting interactions here.

I can tell already that the Victoria x Alexander pairing is going to be particularly... rocky.  Poor Edgar has probably been relegated to friend/servant, but those things change now and again.  As for the Prince's bodyguard, we haven't heard much from him since early on :P

eiselmann

Still around just catching up on all the posts while I've been at work ...looks like we have some very interesting character's to play with..I think we can royally mess with them
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

BellaVita

Haha, yes! Victoria/Alexander would be interesting, for sure. Lots of possibilities..

Jecht

Man I am so psyched for this! The possibilities for romance and humor will be so much fun. Alexander flirting with a servant girl and his sister ruining everything. They are supposed to hate each other but before they realize who the others are will be great.
Ons and Off
My ideas
I'm sorry

Aoife

Either way, I feel really bad for Alexander with Victoria on his heels ;)

BellaVita

Sairin

Quote from: TheHangedMan on February 08, 2012, 11:12:02 AM
Sure, though I do have some questions for Sairin, now that I'm throwing ideas around for my character. Namely, is their any pit fighting/gladiatorial combat of any sort? Or just blood sports in general.

One of the ideas I keep coming around to is the idea that my character would have been a pit fighter/gladiator that was chosen to serve the princess as her bodyguard because of a long winning streak, and his martial prowess. And of course, he has plenty of reasons to be loyal and serve well, because living in the pits is even worse than being a commoner (as I see it being that gladiators/pit fighters would be more like slaves).

Of course, if their aren't any blood sports, that kind of makes this idea null and void. Which means I'd probably do someone with a military background.

I agree with what Aoife said, but I think you've come to the decision either way~ 

Haha this is a nice read to come back to and you all have gotten me excited. Since my character is flexible, I'll start right away! I imagined that the Shakou prince and his friend are with the servant now while the Kryton princess and her body guard are not far off on their heels. Currently, all are (except for myself) in the desert but are shortly reaching the Shakou's main palace. Does this sound reasonable?~

I'll provide a link shortly after I make the first post~

TheHangedOne

Sounds about right to me.

By the way, would we be using camels, or on foot? Just how big are these countries, in terms of square mileage? Or is that just a detail we can flub over?
Check out my poet tree!

Sairin

Quote from: TheHangedMan on February 09, 2012, 07:42:39 PM
Sounds about right to me.

By the way, would we be using camels, or on foot? Just how big are these countries, in terms of square mileage? Or is that just a detail we can flub over?

The Shakous are currently on desert horses~ you may travel by foot, camel, elephant, or desert horse. Although camels are best suited for the desert.

I did not think of how large the countries are but they are a decent size. I'm thinking it has been a few days or so since the kidnapping of the servant~

BellaVita

Do you a link to the thread, or will we be posting in here?

Sairin

Quote from: BellaVita on February 09, 2012, 08:32:31 PM
Do you a link to the thread, or will we be posting in here?

I am working on it now and will post it here as soon as I have it completed~

BellaVita

Quote from: Sairin on February 09, 2012, 08:39:22 PM
I am working on it now and will post it here as soon as I have it completed~

Awesome! I can't wait :D

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Aoife

Sairin

You can write your OOC's in parenthesis in the Role Play~ I'll have this bookmarked still though if you'd choose to place it here

Aoife

I'm loving the idea of a splinter faction.  I hadn't actually thought about siblings for Vitoria, but given the whole drive towards reproduction between married couples, it'd make sense that there would be a large gaggle of children in and around the royal household.

My main thought consists that Victoria is the eldest, followed by a brother near her own age (year or two difference).  This brother is actually in line to inherit, being the first male member of the family.  Deeply and sullenly against his Sister's success and pull with their Father, in spite of his eventual legal ascension to the royal throne, he is seeking her death as a traitor, manufacturing evidence of troop plans and various logistical snarls that could be used to clai she was working to hand the Krytoni battle plans over to the enemy, as well as set up significant losses to Shakou forces. Overall, he seeks the affection from his Father that he resents his sister for possessing, as he would need to deeply discredit her enough to cause his Father himself to demand her capture and summary execution.

Seeing his chance, with her gone from the capital unannounced and moving deeply into Shakou territory, he presented the forged evidence and claimed that even now she was working her master-blow against the Krytoni throne, in a misguided sense of an anti-imperial mindset and the sovereignty of the Shakou state.  Despite their Father's immediate discredit of the motivations, he would eventually be forced by councilors seeded by her Brother to acknowledge the evidence, and at the very least demand her incarceration. Despite reservations, the weight of evidence eventually demands her execution, and he reluctantly signs the edict into effect and cedes the Throne to her brother, citing his deep reservations and heavy heart as time enough to step down. Wasting no time, her brother moves quickly to eliminate any contradictory evidence from the other party, and dispatches a deeply loyal, and passionately zealous unit of Krytoni Adders (internal police) to find and eliminate the 'rogue' Princess.

How it develops from here has all sorts of possibilities.