Adventure! Romance! High Fantasy! [UN]

Started by Lunaris, January 01, 2009, 01:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunaris

For a long time now, I've had an immense desire to do an RP centered on a group of adventurers traveling through the great outdoors on the way to some place or goal. Actually...that's misleading. I *always* want to do stuff like this. I love adventure. I love traveling through the wilderness on the way to exotic locales. Given the types of characters I play, High Fantasy would be ideal for this...both for the magic involved and for what the characters can see and do.

At the same time, I've yet to be immersed in a deep polyamorous relationship between such a group. I feel such a thing could be beautiful...perhaps even unforgettably so. Races, preferences, and species? Pretty much take anything (attractive) out of your generic fantasy stew or go supernatural with Nymphs, Succubi, Erinyes, Celestial or Fiendish humans, Catfolk, etc., Yuri, relationships between women and hermaphrodites/intersexed individuals, shapechangers, and variants of such deeply appeal to me.

You can see my ons and offs and/or my intro thread (both linked in me siggy) for what I like and what makes me shudder...but at the same time, everyone's different, and while I may have my preferences, others have their own. So long as it doesn't go too far into the danger zone, other people should be able to enjoy themselves in this as well! It is a group thing, after all.

Now for specific ideas:

New to the Profession
Adventurers aren't born extremely skilled. Everyone starts off green at some point, right? What about a group of people meeting for the first time and embarking on their first real adventure together? Good times and fond memories, right? Everything's new and fresh. And your attractive partners? Well...gods willing, this'll be unforgettable!

Let the Adventure Come to Us
After traveling together for some time and many successes in the field, this group of adventurers wanders on to the next hotspot...and the road is long enough for them to have the time to truly look at one another, reveal hidden feelings, and show love for those that have been with them through thick and thin.

An Amazing Discovery
Here it is! The fabled floating continent or hidden remnants of a civilization long lost. Though nature has asserted her will over these ruins, hints of their former prominence are all over. The group searches for answers, magics, power...and while their intents may differ they will all need each other to traverse these ancient, crumbling remains and survive against whatever guardians remain.

Random Love
Through some freak occurrence several adventurers are pulled from all corners of the world and/or planes to one spot: A timeless desert bathed in eternal moonlight. Time moves slow here. Food is less than scarce and there is tremendous danger in the unknown. Though strangers, this group will have no choice but to rely on each other to navigate their way to civilization.

Wide open, right? There are few certainties in all of this...but I can state some strong preferences.

Wilderness. I'm not one for typical, dirty, crowded cities. I've lived in one all my life. Let us travel through forests, small hamlets, moonlit deserts with white sands, and ancient ruins overtaken by nature.

I don't have to run this as I'm happier being a simple player, but I would not object if asked to do so...in such case, I'm always happy to receive ideas and helping hands. I'm looking for four to six people and preferably a mix of female and intersexed characters for the cast. I don't care what the gender of the authors are...so long as the writing is good and believable.

Alignments and Motivations. Can be anywhere on the spectrum. All I ask...all we'll need is enough love or caring between the characters so that they would never betray each other. This is about a cast that needs and grows to love (or lust for) each other. Check the treachery at the door. Sure, the succubus is evil and finds souls to be delicious...but what if she's really fond of her partners? Can't break one's toys if they wanna keep playing with them right? 

Another is believability. If a character is of a species that would be hunted or feared, don't expect people to react to them as if they are ordinary. A werewolf in bestial form can't just walk into a bar and not expect people to panic and flee...brave adventurers to question it or attempt to destroy it.

Now if these sorts of ideas are already in play elsewhere (and I simply haven't found them yet. I'm new!), please point the way! If they aren't and any of these are interesting to you, let me know! Hope to hear from ya'll!

Silk

Sounds like a nice idea, :D count me in if you do not mind my less than great writing quantity, (1-5 paragraphs depends what there is to write about, if not scratch me off ill understand. :) )

Lunaris

While I'll admit to being a grammar-nazi when it comes to the actual roleplaying, I don't really care about post length. I vote substance over length and understand that people can't offer a page in response to every little thing. Heck, sometimes, conversations and interactions should be casual! I'm like you in that my post size generally depends on what I'm responding to.

I...do, however have some things I never like to see in an RP post:

No lazy grammar (In chatting and PMs? I don't really care. But people had better capitalize their I's and such when it comes to the story! *cracks whip*)
Emotes (Must stay out of RP posts at all costs)
Tastelessness (Being too profane or too direct in descriptions can really cheapen an experience. But careful moderation can actually add a little spice!)

That said, please feel free to send me samples of your treats, Silk! Not for judgement...but because I'm totally curious and like to know what I'm getting into! Thanks for poking this thread!

Aravol

Sounds like a wonderful, fun time for all, so count me in on this; I'm a sucker for a good old fantasy adventure. I only have to ask, are we going to be playing free-form or a system?

Nirinian

You know, I might just try this one as a group :)
Sorry about lying to all you guys, read about it here.

Insanitosis

I am in.
I would love to lend my hand to this type of rp.

High fantasy always gets me so excited, and I love conjuring new types of characters for the sort. I generally play more experianced characters, perhaps a sort of mentor in the first one, ne? I also have many others.

I type 4-8 paragraphs depending on what is provided for me

Lunaris

Well...as I've said, this was me posting ideas for potential good times, and while I am capable of putting things together, I'd be glad to let an experienced person take the reigns of the RP. Free-form? Rules? While I'm not fond of *all* rules, I have done quasi-freeform and full out freeform. This doesn't seem like a place where rules would be needed to moderate people and Sues and Stus in check, so I think Freeform would be preferable. Fun over numbers!

And yay Nirinian! :D

At some point, I might ask for a general vote on which ideas appeal to you all the most. For now, I'm curious as to what sorts of characters you would try. Both for myself and for the other player's sakes. What one person goes with can help determine the next's decision.

Personally, I have a tendency towards RPing characters with a little worldliness as well.

Insanitosis

Worldliness helps, new adventurers tend not to be as grizzled or dark as I prefer my characters.

Well, what is a Mercenary without a reputation?
a hack...

Aravol

I'm normally prone to darker character backgrounds, so my characters tend to be rather worldly, despite attitudes that seem more naive. On the other side, I like character development, so I some of my characters start out naive, only to become more experienced in  time.

Lunaris

It's starting to seem like one of the ideas suited to a more seasoned group may work better for you. Either that...or a new idea completely...

That of Veteran Adventures taking out a few inexperienced folk to prepare them for the rigors of the world. Or...perhaps they were all hired by an employer to assist veteran explorers or something. Somebody's gotta carry the loot, food, and drink, right? Maybe a tag-a-long cook is learning the ropes from those they admire? A herbalist seeks mentoring from a druid? A young blacksmith wants to do more than make and polish swords...she wants to *use* her works?

Insanitosis

I am open to practically anything, however the first one works best for me. I do like playing seasoned warriors, but I can also play a newbie...

Aravol

Sometimes, you get to choose who you're stuck with. Sometimes, you get to choose among a million others, and you get to strike the dirt road with those just as skilled as you are.
Sometimes Fate, though, is far more fickle, and throws you together with greenhorned, naive fellows. Sometimes, you're the one among far more experienced peers, keeping up by special gift, unearthly talent, or sheer luck until you unerringly earn the trust and loyalty from those around you.

That's the kind of picture I get when we start mixing worldly characters with naive ones. Besides, if there is to be bonding between the characters, what better way than to be forced into competition, leaning more about each other simply because your first impression is turned totally on its head?

Lunaris

I hear you both on this! Hmm...and it already seems that we have at least 4-5 people to go with an idea, too (counting myself). Could be quite fun, no matter what we go with. Now we just need to toss around some concepts.

Lunaris

Meep! Time for me to head to work, all. Feel free to converse with each other about this and if there are any questions, suggestions, etc., I'll be back to address them in the morning. Night everyone!

Insanitosis

Well, I like the first idea best as I said, I even have a character for it, then again I have a character for practically any scenario XD

Silk

Well i've come up with a reasonable idea for my character, if you need a hand with concepts i'm sure i can work something out as well :)

Nirinian

I'm still thinking what kind of character I will use. I'm thinking of using a pleasure golem, but I'm going to use that in another roleplay, too..

Muse

Do you folks have a posting rate in mind?   

If the pace isn't too grueling, I'd have fun participating.  And if you folks wouldn't mind a simple system, preferably but not nessicarily Earthdawn, I could even GM it. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Lunaris

A posting rate... Hmm... I won't ask daily because I'm not even sure I can do that (I work looong, tiring hours during the weekends). I think it's best to see how comfortable everyone is and ask what they can actually handle first. Me? I think a minimum of 4 posts a week would be fine. But the sky is the limit if people wish to post more.

If you've got concepts, share em with us! Tell us about them! That way, we can keep things diverse and interesting.

I'll even ask the reverse. What do you hope to encounter in the other characters?

Earthfall? Nay. I've never heard of it until now and I just got into Pathfinder and am still absorbed into it. To accomodate all, it may be best to generalize the setting. If you wish to GM things, that's great. I'm still willing to help in such case. I fancy myself to be quite skilled with painting the environment with flowing descriptions so if that's ever needed, tickle me!

Silk

I cannot really help with the layout, but im fairly good with coming up with plot twists and ideas, :) since this is a mostly female based group im going to use something i wanted too for a while and have my character have male phobia. :D

Nirinian

Hmm, I might want to play a male character, but if Silk doesn't want me to..

Silk

Play a male if you want :D its just ill allways be on the other side of the camp to you ^_^

Lunaris

*chuckles* My own characters tend to be lesbian as well...but not man-phobic... Though androgynous men like those Visual Kei artists are...oddly attractive for some reason. Oh. Wait. Because they can look like women sometimes. :p

Insanitosis

Quote from: Silk on January 02, 2009, 11:14:58 AM
I cannot really help with the layout, but im fairly good with coming up with plot twists and ideas, :) since this is a mostly female based group im going to use something i wanted too for a while and have my character have male phobia. :D
Aww, No love for Sani

Oh well, I can always play a more androgynous character too, I am fairly good at it, my young "priest" (warlock) fits that description. He has issues....

Nirinian

I can be a scholar, one that can keep, or try to keep, Insanitosis' character in check, trying to gain the favour of the other companions, especially Silk's of course.

Insanitosis

Haha, I can imagine a relation like that in an anime that most females are insane for.
Yeah...

Gain favor?

Nirinian

Gain favour, yes. You can interpret it in any way you can. :P

Insanitosis

I can see her trying to stand up for Vincent, and I can see that all the females in this group are going to play lesbians...

Vincent is a good guy, despite the fact that he is seriously cursed, it adds intrigue to his character.

Silk

Don't choose your characters with me in mind guys, :) it wouldnt be much point having a woman timid around men fi there was no men around. ;)

No my character isnt a lesbian but she is frightened of men, unless someone convincingly snaops her out of her phobia, it is possible.

Insanitosis

Vincent is a priest, or at least disguised as one, he mostly pretends to be celibate if that helps. I can also play him in full warlock mode, and he wouldn't ease her fear any like that.

Worse comes to worse, I can play a female, I do have an assassin.

Aravol

I'd prefer to play a male character, myself. If anything, having one party member afraid of me sounds like more opportunity for interesting and fun character interaction. :D

I would say that I can post probably once or twice a day, at most, so 4 a week sounds good, just so we can all keep up. I've had too many past groups go under because people fell too far behind D:

My concept would be a character from a city, one with a well-stocked library. Enough reading over the years, and he's determined to be a great hero and make a name for himself. More detailed background, once I'm done writing it up, on request. :D

Nirinian

Aravol, I see a great future, where the two of us can argue about the most tedious of things. Maybe my character, albeit a scholar, has more...experience than you, but less knowledge?

Silk

By the way is this a system or freeform?

Aravol

Likely more knowledge, actually. Aravol, in this incarnation, beingst I use that name for so much, has studied stories and legends, reading things akin, albeit not exactly, thanks to this hopefully being a different universe, to Heracles or Beowulf as readily and enthusiastically as some people read Lord of the Rings or Star Wars in our world today. While he might know more about how to slay a Dragon or a Basilisk, knowledge wise, he's not likely better than a scholar. Now, in terms of fighting ability, not to mention sheer will and determination, that he'd have you beat. Seeing him squabbling over little things, though, I can see :)

I'm saying freeform, if only because I don't wan to be playing DnD. Most of the systems I enjoy are hardly known D:

Lunaris

I vote freeform, too. I want people to slide into this easily and without having to learn some ruleset. That said, if you enjoy generating stats for your characters and such, feel free to do so for a personal reference. Almost all of my characters are 3.5e or Pathfinder-statted. I do it so that I can stay balanced and truly have a reference for what my charries can and can't do. I have so many PCs that it's kind of necessary in order to keep track.

Silk

I might go with a puppetmaster sort of class based off of final fantasy 11's, if its freeform. :) Semi martial artist majorly puppeteer of a combat puppet that can be changed to do different things.

Insanitosis

It would help to be freeform, if it has a system, I have other characters.

The character I intend to use for this one, Vincent, is a Demoniac, the result of a botched resurrection where a demon hitched a ride on the soul back into the body. He is the kind of person who tries to resist his new demonic nature, but on occasion his demonic side slips out, usually resulting in chaos. It would make for a nice plot object.

If system, I have a Magical adept/swordsman

Nirinian

@Aravol: Hmm, alright,  but my character could have been travelling with other adventurers, but since he never joined in the fighting, is still considered new to adventuring. During his travels, he gathered knowledge, but I'm not sure as to how much.

Lunaris

*chuckles* Seems like everyone is truly keen on the newblet adventurers idea. Now I must ponder whether or not I have any new adventurers, meself. I'm not sure if I can actually craft something new because I tend to really pour a lot into the process. I might just retcon an old character or modify them for this.

Insanitosis

Yeah, I do have many characters who would work for the setting.
Would Vincent work for this story? I have had a scene playing through my head, the surprise as Arrach awakens from within his body.

Aravol

Go ahead and recycle, it's good for the environment! :D
In the case of characters, it's not terribly taboo; if the concept was good once, why not again?

Ixy

I'm VERY glad to see this going the freeform route.  I like the idea of camaraderie first, adventure second, and think it will be kind of a relief to have a world that's not overly complicated with history and power-loopholes. 

I have a couple ideas that, if it's ok, I'll toss out-- first off, since we're talking about relatively inexperienced characters, I don't think we need to worry about characters who can summon unimaginably powerful forces or who routinely carry out murder, political assassinations, etc.  I think this is one hell of a relief, personally, but it does present a bit of a puzzle-- how to create an inexperienced character without falling into the stereotypes of every fantasy book we've ever read *grin*.  So what's going to make these characters work and be interesting is how they mesh... so does anyone want to start interlacing backgrounds *now*?  Because I get really frustrated by games where all the characters introduced, one by one, and then stand around saying, "well, my introduction was MARVELOUS.  ... what the fuck do we do now?!"  So maybe one or two of you guys might want to collaborate and make a starting relationship, a little background?  I'm game!

If this works, let me know... it's just a very sparse background that I'm interested in playing, but not wholly attached to :)

-my character MIGHT be a half-elven young woman, raised by her hermit of a grandmother and uncle (both humans) in the outskirts near a village of party origin.  Her grandmother was an herbalist, craftswoman, and farmer-- her uncle a bit of a rake, brawler, and gambler (though he worked as a daylaborer when money was tight) She was raised with the misconception that her her parents had died tragically during her infancy, but as she grew up she learned gradually that they were actually adventurers, and that they were actually lost on a grand quest of some sort.  Aside from the scoffing she received as a half-elf in a human's world, she's adapted well and has grown up fiesty, quick-witted, with a love of humor and celebration.  She's very much a tomboy, using humor, sport, and rebellion as a protective measure for her insecurities and loneliness.  She knows woodcraft, nature, and hunting... if we were playing system, she'd be a ranger.

This sound like someone you guys could link a character to?

Insanitosis

Quote from: Ixy on January 02, 2009, 08:24:02 PM
This sound like someone you guys could link a character to?
Yes, for all of my characters actually, I am still deciding who to use.

Vincent, the warlock I mentioned, Her grandparents could have taken care of him after his death and resurrection. Perhaps he got to know of her then?

Talan, a swordsman

And my sorcerer character, like vincent, but no struggle for control over his good and evil sides, or sudden demonic outbursts.

Aravol

Well, seems our group just keeps growing @_@
@Ixy; In the case of such a character, it's likely Aravol would know about her parents, perhaps having read about them or maybe even having seen their journals personally. Looking up to such adventurers, it's likely he not only knows more about them, he'll be more than willing to help gather information on them, eventually reconstructing the final quest on which they vanished. Add in the possibility that these parents aren't dead...

Silver

Wow I really like this idea. *nods* I am thinking upon it very hard at the moment.
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: ♬ Star ♬ - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix) ♡
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Silk

My character wouldn't be so much a fighter herself, probally a gnomish tinkerer that does her fighting through mechanical pets called auto-mations, but since they have no movement of their own, she has to actually be the puppetmaster and control them through a mix of technology and mysticism.

It also works towards her timidness of being around others as she doesn't have to get close herself personally, just breaking the generic character setups :)

Nirinian

It's okay. To my character, it would seem strange, and he might want to observe your behaviour, to understand why you're afraid of men :) Which in turn would probably scare you off..:(

Silk

Well the man-phobia allready gives us a angle we can work with in the story, so we allways have that to fall back on if we hit a dead end. :)

Nirinian

My character is quite interested in psychological aspects of life.

Lunaris

Hmm... well...of my characters, I'd say my Changeling Dragon Shamaness is probably the least experienced. So...perhaps I could do a small revamp. I'd been planning to, anyways.

Insanitosis

I will likely go with my sorcerer/fighter. He would work better for this situation. But I am still fairly undecided.
He is a more outgoing and friendly character, chaotic good in alignment, and quite a bit of a flirt.

Ixy

Quote from: Insanitosis on January 02, 2009, 08:50:45 PM
Yes, for all of my characters actually, I am still deciding who to use.

Vincent, the warlock I mentioned, Her grandparents could have taken care of him after his death and resurrection. Perhaps he got to know of her then?

Talan, a swordsman

And my sorcerer character, like vincent, but no struggle for control over his good and evil sides, or sudden demonic outbursts.

Hm... the first one would be a bit weird, but might work quite well.  She'd probably be simultaneously disturbed by the profundity of his 'unnatural' aspects, but would probably be riveted to his side based on the memory of his vulnerability at that time.  As for the swordsmen and sorcerer?  I guess more information would help me get a grasp of how they could connect... she'd probably make a good damper for a character prone to outbursts of evil behavior, because she'd be fixated on trying to 'fix' him (yeah, doesn't that sound like people we've known all our lives?  *laugh*).  Of course, that kind of personal quest almost always ends in disaster.  Problematically (or maybe rather plot-generatingly...) a character struggling to retain a conscience, partnered up with someone who flies into indignant rages-- leading to barfights, ludicrous tasks, much apologizing and amend-making (all from a pixie-like blond who looks like a wispy girl in her late teens).

So, we could have prior background and might actually start our 'branch' of this adventuring party with the hope of locating Aravol-->

Quote from: Aravol on January 02, 2009, 09:04:20 PM
Well, seems our group just keeps growing @_@
@Ixy; In the case of such a character, it's likely Aravol would know about her parents, perhaps having read about them or maybe even having seen their journals personally. Looking up to such adventurers, it's likely he not only knows more about them, he'll be more than willing to help gather information on them, eventually reconstructing the final quest on which they vanished. Add in the possibility that these parents aren't dead...

Indeed, having grown up in the equivalent of a rural medieval or renaissance town, my character would have HEARD of vast libraries, but her only experience with them is probably constituted of the four-tiered bookshelf at the closest town's "upscale" inn or her uncle's collection of tawdry penny-perkers that she found in the attic.  While I'm sure it doesn't have to be the sole focus of this small-town crew's mission, it would make sense that, if they set out for a quest of some kind that neared your character's home, she'd follow the tales to try to find him.  AND, as you said, that might be a good place to start-- reconstructing a quest that ended in the mysterious disappearance of the party 15 years ago.  Maybe some scrap of her parents' belongings proves to be the key to unlocking the starting point of their quest that other adventurers have speculated about existing..?  A code or cypher-device, perhaps?  GOD this is sounding cliched, but it's also sounding REALLY damn fun *GRIN*

OK, anybody else that might link up?  Maybe a guide-for-hire or wandering adventurer in Aravol's home town, or someone else from the rural village where my character makes a start?

PS: I plan to start this character with very, very little romantic history, but would like to see that unfold as the plot develops... be it mingled interests, a love triangle, harmless flirting or a brazen sexual discovery or seven, I'm looking forward to imagining this character's development of an intimate identity... up to this point in the plot, she's been very quiet about such things, but curious, and for characters with background links that we decide to work out, I can give you a couple examples of back-story that might add a little flavor to the inter-character relationship(s).

Lunaris

Hmmm...so after a quick head count I see six certain players already (including myself) up to a possible eight from the other posts I've seen. Frankly, I'm a lil' scared. :p

I never imagined we'd have so big of a cast in so short a time, and I worry about just how well I might be able to handle running this one. What we also need is a purpose to link the bunch...some quest a bunch of newbies would be hired to complete. Some characters knowing each other prior to the start is fine... But we still need a reason for the others to be traveling together. I'll try to think of one while I'm at work but I'm also open to ideas.

Whatever it turns out to be, this is a band of new adventures so whatever the task is, it won't be epic at all. Probably caravan guardwork from point A to point B. Simple enough, right? Of course, the stretch of land between will have some dangers of sorts...and that's sort of the point.

It was certainly interesting to read the connection ideas you all have between each other, but the only one I can offer is the involvement (or sightings) of my character's silver dragon mentor.

Insanitosis

Quote from: Ixy on January 03, 2009, 04:47:33 PM
Hm... the first one would be a bit weird, but might work quite well.  She'd probably be simultaneously disturbed by the profundity of his 'unnatural' aspects, but would probably be riveted to his side based on the memory of his vulnerability at that time.  As for the swordsmen and sorcerer?  I guess more information would help me get a grasp of how they could connect... she'd probably make a good damper for a character prone to outbursts of evil behavior, because she'd be fixated on trying to 'fix' him (yeah, doesn't that sound like people we've known all our lives?  *laugh*).  Of course, that kind of personal quest almost always ends in disaster.  Problematically (or maybe rather plot-generatingly...) a character struggling to retain a conscience, partnered up with someone who flies into indignant rages-- leading to barfights, ludicrous tasks, much apologizing and amend-making (all from a pixie-like blond who looks like a wispy girl in her late teens).

That might work!
Vincent for the most par has no clue about the demon lurking in his soul, having someone to hold him, maybe even physically restrain him when he experiences an outburst of evil. He really lacks the control to maintain himself, so having a few characters in the back to help him when he does such. The outbursts can be relatively simple, from bouts of aggressive behavior to total slaughter.

And if/when he reaches the level of stress that would allow the fiend to slip put, it might be handy having someone nearby that could bring him back out. If he reaches that Demoniac state, bad things can happen. Perhaps he is seeking out Avarol for a cure to his situation? The demon can't simply be exorcised, that would kill Vincent too since it would rip his own soul out with it.  Likewise killing him would kill the demon, so there is a slight symbiotic relationship.

I have kind of ruled Talan out since we decided to make his a newbie adventure.

My sorcerer.
Well, I can imagine him also being born to adventurers, wanderers, or even a noble family. He would be fairly niave to the ways fo the world, but is the kind of person with an insatiable wanderlust, adventuring just for the sake of adventuring. he is kind of a jack of all trades in a way. I havn't really thought of a bio, but so far I have the concept, a spoiled noble child who got sick of the high life and left home. He could even be a prince or other higborn type who hides his identity.

@Lunaris
If I go with the highborn/sorcerer thingy it could be an escort.

Aravol

Quote from: Lunaris on January 03, 2009, 05:03:33 PM
Hmmm...so after a quick head count I see six certain players already (including myself) up to a possible eight from the other posts I've seen. Frankly, I'm a lil' scared. :p
Have to agree on that one. One too many oversized groups have taught me to be afraid of this getting much bigger... Unless we split into two threads?

Whatever it turns out to be, this is a band of new adventures so whatever the task is, it won't be epic at all. Probably caravan guardwork from point A to point B. Simple enough, right? Of course, the stretch of land between will have some dangers of sorts...and that's sort of the point.
That sounds like a good start point, but it would only work particularly well if our hometowns are close together, or members of the caravan are in need of 'replacement,' either by quitting or, well, dying, as the caravan passes by each said hometown.

It was certainly interesting to read the connection ideas you all have between each other, but the only one I can offer is the involvement (or sightings) of my character's silver dragon mentor.
Involvement of a mentor is quite possible... Aravol, for one, would probably be seeking him out to get training of his own. If he's been sighted, it would be right where Aravol's headed, and if there are any characters who wouldn't logically seek out such a mentor, maybe they just happen to be in the area where he's been sighted and get caught up in the action. Honestly, that does seem like a nice idea...

I never imagined we'd have so big of a cast in so short a time, and I worry about just how well I might be able to handle running this one. What we also need is a purpose to link the bunch...some quest a bunch of newbies would be hired to complete. Some characters knowing each other prior to the start is fine... But we still need a reason for the others to be traveling together. I'll try to think of one while I'm at work but I'm also open to ideas.
This becomes more problematic as the group gets bigger, but I do have to say that while it's not going to be terribly epic, our characters could get caught up in something they can't possibly solve for some time, or without gathering some serious help, or escaping.

my ideas;
-If anyone else would join up with an Adventurer's Guild of some kind, what about that?
-Everyone ends up at the same tavern for various reasons. To kill the old stereotypical, and probably illogical, at this point, meeting where everyone decides to work together, what if the tavern gets stormed by militant goblins or the like, and everyone ends up in the same cage, prison, or the like, the only hope of escape being each other. Quick way to start off the bonding, along with some action.

Insanitosis

I do like the escape from a bigger threat idea, perhaps escaping the burning/sacking of a city? Vincent doesn't take well to captivity >.>. Kain would probably be fine.

Of course we could also have them being hired by some mysterious client to go and get an object of worth from somewhere dangerous, or at least from another city fairly far away, but get sucked further down through a chain of events.

Aravol

Quote from: Insanitosis on January 03, 2009, 07:23:28 PM
I do like the escape from a bigger threat idea, perhaps escaping the burning/sacking of a city? Vincent doesn't take well to captivity >.>. Kain would probably be fine.
Not being well with captivity is fine - my whole idea was that everyone gets kidnapped, perhaps clubbed, and then breakout as soon as everyone's, well, conscious.

Quote from: Insanitosis on January 03, 2009, 07:23:28 PM
Of course we could also have them being hired by some mysterious client to go and get an object of worth from somewhere dangerous, or at least from another city fairly far away, but get sucked further down through a chain of events.
The question being why would our characters get hired?

Insanitosis

Claustrophobia... ^.^ And last thing anybody needs is someone like vincent having a panic attack...

And...

Uh...

Expert adventurers are too expensive?

I am still having trouble deciding between the two characters, I might play both.

And as for avarol knowing either of them? Any ideas? I should probably explain both characters clearly

Aravol

Divination solves a whole bunch problems... Assuming we're hired by someone who has been using divination to see the future big heroes our characters are to be, there's the perfect reason to hire us, despite the fact that we're inexperienced at the moment. Tie this in with, say, said Silver Dragon mentor being said diviner and employer, and we've just tied several lines together. Now, if he's hired us, maybe our first job goes south, and we're captured. To fix claustrophobia, maybe we're caught by ogres, or some other large race, since they'll logically have prison cages the size of a human-sized being's cottage.

Anyone like the sound of that?

Insanitosis

Well, the claustrophobia can also be exploited... You just have to figure how to keep him from killing everybody in a demonic outburst that is... It would make a nice plot object, and is one of the few things that could make vincent go into a said outburst. But there is also the fact that he is under the guise of a healer, so he might be treated a bit better, which gives the opportunity for him to pull something on his captors. 

As said, I don't even know if I am going to use that character. He would be fun to play as where he is just learning to control his evil nature, but I also have the other character to think about.

Ixy

OK... once we've got our scenario straightened out, there will be a point when players are supposed to respond, but don't.  So I think we should set a couple groundrules.  These are just suggestions-- by no means am I trying to take control here, but if people agree I think we'll have a much better chance of getting this story rolling.
1) Your character should be special in some way, but not MORE special than everyone else. 
2) When you post, you should describe what YOUR character is doing, and perhaps what's happening around the group, but NOT what effect that will have on the other characters.  Exception: "NPCs" where we've agreed that a certain outcome is expected.
3) Don't try to "WIN".  Sometimes, the most fun comes out of stories where your own character makes mistakes, gets knocked around, gets rescued, etc.
4) If you can't post, use your A&A thread.  If someone gets hung up for more than 3 days between posts, the other players should 'keep them moving'... not write something major, just drop in a line or two to indicate that the absent player's character is still active.  That way, we don't have 1-2 week holdups while waiting for someone to respond.

I think we have a couple good suggestions... the capture/captivity bit is probably a feasible starting point, and if that's what you guys want to do, I'm game.  I'm still interested in writing up some backstory, but that can be done via PM.  I'm probably ready to start with THAT aspect for those two who've already indicated they want to link character histories (once they're sure about characters), and am still open to other connections. 

Lyrus

Sorry about butting in with my Introductions still going on, but I definitely want a spot on this, personally have been a sucker for fantasy, and this looks like something great is going on. ;x

Okay, now I'm going to run out and come back if I'm ever approved.
TIS NEITHER RAPE NOR ABUSE
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires
Ambitious Group Roleplay!

Lunaris

Actually. I'm going to toss my vote in for an Adventurer's Guild. Screw taverns. They are so utterly overused. Perhaps this guild (or local branch of it) is led by the aforementioned silver dragon (in disguise, of course).

I will also vote against the captivity thing or any larger plots. I've found it's best to start simple, let people get into things and see how they fare. And if the RP looks like it might last long, the bigger plot can be slipped in. So... we could start with a prologue of sorts, and if that goes well, we can get into the chapters.

And I say chapters because breakpoints allow the opportunity for character swapping, new additions, drops, and such without throwing things out of order.

Ixy's points are my views as well. I am pro-balance, anti-Sue/Stu, anti-godmodding, and for keeping fellow players informed. A balanced group is more likely to rely on and trust each other because each person is good at something that others aren't...at least, that would be the ideal.

The growing size of this has taken me completely off-guard. I hope that amongst you all there's someone willing to help me with this one because...it's HYOOGE now.

What ideas do you have, Lyrus?

Insanitosis

I like the idea of chapters...

Well, if we go about and make an adventurer's guild thing I will have to reconsider my characters and their relationships, which is fine.

And well, I am not sure it is that huge, some members have just dropped by and voiced their interest, few have actually gotten into discussing it.

Nirinian

My character would not be joining in the fighting and all. He's only hanging around the guild to travel and see things, not kill them. Also, he's too weak, and doesn't know how to defend himself. If that's alright, that is.

Lyrus

Interesting ... If I entered this, I'd use either a Drow Ranger, or a typical human sword-and-shielder.

By the way, if we go by chapters, that means we need a main plot, no? Neverwinter Nights style?
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Sabel

I really like this idea. I'm new and haven't started a game yet. Actually, that's why I'm searching. I love fantasy and wilderness, so this is perfect, however, in every great story (or game) there is a conflict. That's the only key factor this game idea seems to be missing. Perhaps if something was cooked up, whether it's people who don't want the group to find the lost civilization or whatever it may be, or just the woes of wilderness in general, it does need something of the sort.

I'd be interested in learning more, and perhaps joining, either way though.

Lunaris

@Sabel: So you're into the lost discovery idea? It seems like everyone else is up for the 'new adventurers' one. Well...of course, *I* like the lost discovery idea most of all I posted in this thread but...

@Lyrus/All: There are so many interested in the concepts offered that I'm starting to feel like this should be split into two groups. What if they were on a sort of gold rush or scavenger hunt? Rival newbie adventuring parties trying to sabotage each other on the way to a shared destination? Until they eventually encounter something that endangers them all and find they'll need to work together to succeed?

It could be done in three topics maybe. One for each group and one for when both groups encounter each other!

Sabel

To be honest, I hadn't read through very many of the replies. I only skimmed. However, I like all of the ideas presented, I was just adding the fact that conflict of some sort adds spice to a story. I'm still very interested though. Have you come up with a solid concept yet, or is it still in ideas form?

Lunaris

Sort of still in the ideas stage as I want to get a feel for what everyone would like to see in this.

Sabel

That's perfect. I'm willing to play an adventurer, or anything really. I'll keep this thread tagged, so I can keep up, but I'm definitely interested.

Insanitosis

I dun know who I am going to play now, I do have a leader type character though.

Lunaris

Well...before you decide on a character, perhaps it would be better to get a pool of which ideas and themes we want to pursue as a whole.

So far, the majority seems settled on newbie adventurers and an adventuring guild.

Is anyone up for 2 competitive parties idea? Perhaps the inclusion of a rival adventuring guild and a race towards a shared goal?

Nirinian

Insanitosis

I wouldn't be all too interested in something like that.

Sabel

oooh. you can do all sort of plots with rivalries: like rivals falling for each other, fights between the rivals, etc. etc. wonderful. I like it

Lunaris

I'm fond of the rivalry idea, too. If only so we'd be able to take in everyone that's applied.

It doesn't have to be aggressive conflict if that makes you uncomfortable, Insanitosis.  :) It could be a simple good-natured rivalry. Gold dragon's pupils versus a Silver dragon's in pursuit of a minor relic? A way to both to test and compete against each other though their students?

Sabel

Insanitosis

Oh I am fine with aggressive conflict... I am however not fond of choosing which "Team" To play on

Sabel

no idea of either Good or Evil, huh? Yeah, I always have that problem. The Bad People always have the most fun, but for some reason they never seem to win in the movies :( hehe.

Lunaris

Oh! I see. I guess that's kind of the downside. But so many have signed on that it would be pure chaos to try to keep up with *everybody* in one thread. I'd say the team that appeals most to you. Probably the people you've already been brainstorming connection ideas with?

Sabel

Perhaps a minor profile description of each 'team' should be laid out, so that those who are participating can choose a side? And it doesn't necessarily have to be Good vs. Bad, since every character will have their own personality- which will cause enough... chaos, as you so perfectly described it. It could simply be two separate groups working towards the same goal, with two different reasons as to why they are trying to get/find it.

But first off, it needs to be decided upon a goal: the thing in which the two groups are trying to obtain. Then the differences between the two groups can be established (likes the differences of opinion on the goal, etc.)

Um... who's heading this game? hehe

Lunaris

Well... the teams have yet to be decided. Since Silk's character has guy-phobia, It'd probably be best if I were with her.

It seems like I'll be heading things...but the idea of doing this alone really frightens me, quite frankly. It's turned into a massive-seeming undertaking and I don't know if I can manage it all by myself. I never thought so many would go for it.

The item? If both the parties are part of rival adventuring guilds...perhaps it's a magical relic of sorts? Something with notable power or monetary value? If dragons are hosting this kind of competition, perhaps bringing the trophy back will garner some useful rewards and perks with their guild?

Insanitosis

I almost always choose evil, I like darker characters, but still, I don't like the idea of competition, or losing... I was hoping for more of an adventure than a race against other players

Lunaris

Hmm... The funny part is... Everyone else is quiet on the subject except for us three. :p

Please, people come on out and speak your minds!

Lyrus

Well if one of us is doing the leader, I'm going to go with the typical 'dumb brute' character that no one else is really willing to play.

Orc or Dwarf then?
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Lunaris

*chuckles* I'm pretty sure there was supposed to be a developing romantic/sensual element to this, too. Are you sure an Orc or Dwarf would actually work for that?

Lyrus

Who said anything about consenting romance, or being a 'good' alignment character? ;P
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Lunaris

Well...if it's NC, it certainly won't involve any of my characters. :p Not really my thing. Perhaps one of the others, though.

Lyrus

I'm more in it for adventure rather than romance. Head bashing and all - But I had in mind a 'Brute' character binded to one of the other characters by a Treaty or Pact.

... Maybe a Hellspawn.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Ixy

I feel much like Lunaris about the concept.  From the first post, this thread was pretty clearly a group-dynamic oriented game.  I got excited about this thread because of the original description-- group of allies, traveling through unknown, fantasy world, common goal.

Personally, I won't play any 'BLARG I'M EVIL I RAPE YOU' game right now.  I'm not into playing anybody's victim.  There's plenty of people who ARE into that on E, and many of those threads are recruiting right now.

It might easily be possible to have a monstrous-type character that's still an ally, has a personality/conscience, is a party ally, etc.  That could be cool with me, actually, but I can see how others might not be into it.  Non-human characters are kind of an 'on' for me if we're talking about a creature-type that's devoid of repulsive qualities like rot, bad hygiene, tentacles, slime and bile, etc. 

I'm not keen on the multi-party idea.  Also, the numbers will thin once it comes down to actually writing, so it'd probably be difficult to fill two rival parties. 

Ok-- those are my feelings, and I hope this can still work.  If you guys decide to go in a different direction, I'll understand and try to be flexible.  Thanks!

Lyrus

Rival parties uniting into one is fine and dandy with me, but there has to be a plot driving the two sides, so someone has to think of that plot don't they? Also in accordance to Ixy's words, I have decided I am either playing a neutral-chaotic oriented half orc that was sold in slavery after being abandoned by his clan as a mix breed. While in the slave market, he catches the attention of and is sold to a Magi, maybe someone would like to be that Magi? I dunno. Anyway, he is entirely grateful to the Magi, and heeds the Magi's every command and word, even if it goes against his own conscience. Gigantic, tall, brutish kind of guy, quite humble if you think about it. The other optional character I can play is a Hellspawn, which is typically known as a Shade or Sorceror's Bane, a creature one summons from one of the seven levels of Hell with potent dark magics and a summoning circle, while it is entirely possible for a sorceror to summon an insanely powerful Hellspawn, the risk that it might turn on them is higher, so sorcerors tend to summon lower-level Hellspawns to serve them, more or less to keep them in check. Once again, the Hellspawn can either be bonded to a Magi-type character, or could have killed his weak summoner and roamed free.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Silk

Since my character is going to be mostly third wheel in whatever group she is in, as she is neither adventurer or warrior, her use is a bit more utility and hangs around with some of the girls in her group more for a sense of comfort to herself, as long as she has that, she doesn't really care where she goes.

So basically im good with whatever you guys choose. :)

Insanitosis

I am also still in it for the adventure over the romance. Good adventure games are often killed by everybody scrambling immediately after the start for a partner to love pr fuck.

I nmight just create a brand new character for this depending on what we need.

Lyrus

I still need either a Magi to lurk behind, or just wander about. >_<
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Sabel

I'm still keeping up with the thread. Just letting everyone figure this out, since I'm kind of the 'newest addition' and pretty much game for anything: though there was a point made that this started as an adventure, not a race. I liked the adventure idea better. The dual-parties was simply because of the activity the thread is getting, but truth be told, that was said to: the numbers will thin when the writing starts.

Lyrus

Adventure over inn wenches and beautiful companions! But yes, the numbers will thin when the writing actually begins. So has anyone thought of the driving plot yet? All adventurers need something to travel upon.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Sabel

I don't really know, but when I think of an adventure towards a certain goal or relic, I think of Myan or Aztec, for some reason.

Insanitosis

Lyrus is right, people WILL drop out once the writing.

Who I play depends on the party, I have so many characters to play, even some magical characters

Perhaps we can work something out? Have a couple of traveling companions? Have a Strength/Magic combination

Lunaris

Well...Dragon Shamans (which I plan on using one of) Tend to have a mix of both. Still...would anyone be interested in helping me handle this ambitious project? Or...well...running it, themselves. I have tons of ideas...but I hate to be the pilot (or only pilot, if I must).

Sabel

I would be willing to help create the main game, and whatever else is needed. However, I'm also taking over an old game that seems to have alot of people wanting it to come back- and it's large. But I'm willing to help here if needed.

Lyrus

Why don't you combine the old game and this game together? It could be a second saga with new adventurers joining in, sort of like an RPG Expansion.
IF YOU ENJOY IT

My Ons & Offs
My Desires

Lunaris

Lyrus might have a good idea there. Either way, thank you very, very much, Sabel. :)

Sabel

Not a problem Lunaris. Just pm me if you need some help.
I currently have 2 solos that I hope to start, and I've recreated a game, so I hope to be busy, but my interest in this is still up.