What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 18, 2012, 09:05:31 PM
I'm going to put up with it because I don't care. I have a good, reliable internet connection, so online single player and offline single player are identical for my purposes, and Blizzard has never failed to deliver me a game I enjoyed. Blizzard may have run over your puppy or something, but I'll still take their products over studio-killing EA and the travesty that Bioware has turned into.
This thread is not for arguing, it's for venting about things. If you're going to go play Blizzard games, go to Sabby's thread. You're fighting an uphill battle here. ^_^
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:06:57 PM
This thread is not for arguing, it's for venting about things. If you're going to go play Blizzard games, go to Sabby's thread. You're fighting an uphill battle here. ^_^

Can I vent about companies other than Blizzard?

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on May 18, 2012, 10:19:20 PM
Sure :-)
What she said.

Though, now you've given me the dark and wondrous image of Blizzard being bought by EA from Activision it's key talent shifted to other studios and then the studio closed.

Try sleeping tonight.  >:) Mwahahahah ha ha ha... ha.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
What she said.

Though, now you've given me the dark and wondrous image of Blizzard being bought by EA from Activision it's key talent shifted to other studios and then the studio closed.

Eh. I'd follow the talent...it's not like the Blizzard namebrand means anything past what it spits out, and I'd frankly rather see EA in charge of Blizzard than Bobby 'Madden Format Is The Future of Video Games' Kotek at Activision.

On topic...Command and Conquer then, and all its derivatives. I'll never forgive EA/whatever spawn-studio of theirs is responsible for the boot-stomping-on-face that was C&C: Red Alert 3. Confusing forced campaign co-op mode with moronic CPU allies? Check. Mutilating what consistency the universe's lore had? Check. Flanderizing itself by taking the goofy camp and way, way overdoing it? Check. Replacing the plenty-attractive actress for Agent Tanya with a Playboy model who can't act her way out of her own substantial sports bra? Check and mate. Even George Takei hamming his heart out as the Emperor of Japan couldn't save that heap of steaming drek.

Chris Brady

...Activision does not own Blizzard.  Vivenda SA (formerly Vivendi Universal) does.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 18, 2012, 10:45:57 PM
...Activision does not own Blizzard.  Vivenda SA (formerly Vivendi Universal) does.
Yes and no. Technically yes... in that it owns both companies, but no in that it is under Activision in the company structure as a publisher developer relationship.

It's like Netherrealm Studios is owned by Warner Brothers, but through WB Games.

EDIT: I'll admit that Red Alert 3 went full camp, but I don't buy the story gripe (since time travel plots are inherently screwy by their nature), and I find it mercilessly ironic that you're calling out Jenny McCarthy on being a Bad Tanya when the most famous of them is best known outside of gaming for her Sexploitation films, also, she's not that great either. I mean it's all subjective really, but I think it's just funny.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:55:23 PM
Yes and no. Technically yes... in that it owns both companies, but no in that it is under Activision in the company structure as a publisher developer relationship.

It's like Netherrealm Studios is owned by Warner Brothers, but through WB Games.

EDIT: I'll admit that Red Alert 3 went full camp, but I don't buy the story gripe (since time travel plots are inherently screwy by their nature), and I find it mercilessly ironic that you're calling out Jenny McCarthy on being a Bad Tanya when the most famous of them is best known outside of gaming for her Sexploitation films, also, she's not that great either. I mean it's all subjective really, but I think it's just funny.

I think they went too camp - RA1 was a pretty generic war story, but RA2 was the pinnacle of the series. It struck a balance between goofy and entertaining, and then - rather than have any actual, you know, story advancement, they got lazy and mashed the reset button again, replacing Prism technology and nuclear weapons with...shrinking freeze rays?

RA2 had great actors for both factions, even if the budget for all the scenery they chewed was immense - Einstein, Romanov, Carville, Yuri, President Dugan, even Gen. Vladimir. With the new cast, the only character I can even remember the name of who isn't a franchise staple like Eva and Tanya is Pres. Ackerman - though I'll say the Lt. Eva actor was an improvement, and only because of the stupid subplot with weaponizing Mt. Rushmore and him being a Japanese robot clone in the Rising Sun story arc.

as for McCarthy...maybe it's just that don't like blondes, but I considered Kari Wuhrer to be both hotter and a better actress. Tanya's supposed to be hot, rude, and tough - McCarthy got the first one down fine, but didn't pull off the second and third nearly as well as Wuhrer did.

Inkidu

I agree they kind of did go full camp, and it's hit or miss, but I liked it overall, but then again, maybe when I was a kid I could take things like mind controlling baldies, attack dolphins, and giant mind-controlled squid more seriously in a wartime scenario.

Also, I can't believe you didn't recognize Tim Curry or George  Takei. They're in RA3. They also had Randy Coture (sp) I think and the woman who was made famous for doing the Orbit gum commercials as a Russian general.

Both have stayed pretty much on the B side.

I always thought the hottest women in RA2 were Lt. Eva and Lt. Sophia. I'd take them over Tanya any day. :D
They realize this to if you look at the allied ending to Yuri's Revenge. :D

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Inkidu on May 19, 2012, 07:16:25 AM
I agree they kind of did go full camp, and it's hit or miss, but I liked it overall, but then again, maybe when I was a kid I could take things like mind controlling baldies, attack dolphins, and giant mind-controlled squid more seriously in a wartime scenario.

Also, I can't believe you didn't recognize Tim Curry or George  Takei. They're in RA3. They also had Randy Coture (sp) I think and the woman who was made famous for doing the Orbit gum commercials as a Russian general.

Both have stayed pretty much on the B side.

I always thought the hottest women in RA2 were Lt. Eva and Lt. Sophia. I'd take them over Tanya any day. :D
They realize this to if you look at the allied ending to Yuri's Revenge. :D

Characters, not actors. I already mentioned Takei as the Emperor of Japan, but even his valiant effort to salvage the game wasn't sufficient. I will say I didn't recognize Tim Curry, though (which I chalk up to him simply not being Premier Romanov, no one will ever be better than Nicholas Worth as Romanov in that role), and I'm not even sure who Randy Couture is, let lone what character he played.

Shjade

Randy's better-known for being a highly successful veteran MMA fighter.

According to his wiki page, he played Commander Warren Fuller in RA3, if that clears anything up for you.

<-- person who only played original C&C
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

gaggedLouise

From the Sherlock tv series, Sherlock Holmes to Watson:

"What game is that?"
(Watson:) "Cluedo"
"We will never play that game again. You know why? Because it makes it impossible for the victim to be the killer."

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Shjade on May 19, 2012, 10:31:49 AM
Randy's better-known for being a highly successful veteran MMA fighter.

According to his wiki page, he played Commander Warren Fuller in RA3, if that clears anything up for you.

<-- person who only played original C&C

The American CPU commander, according to the C&C Wiki. Explains why I don't remember him, the single-player co-op allies were as bland in character as their scripts were incompetent in mission.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:28:28 PM
What she said.

I'd sleep soundly, the only game from Blizzard I care about is Starcraft.

Games I'll never play again... Hrm.... Probably any video game based off of a movie or comic book character. Except Hulk Ultimate Destruction. That game was awesome.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Caitlin

I'm never going to play World of Warcraft again.

I was addicted for 5 years and it was having a very negative impact on my life due to all the time I spent on it. Since I quit I bought a house, my love life is looking a lot better, I have more 'off line' friends and I produced several books already. ;D

(In general I drastically reduced the time I spent on games.)

Exelion

I am just going to say "probably all Blizzard games"

Probably, only because I might break down and get the next piece of Starcraft II when it comes out. And Maybe Titan won't suck.

But they've lost me on the Warcraft and Diablo properties.

TheGlyphstone

Aye. I might renew my WoW subscription for the new Xpac just to see the new environment - one thing Blizzard never skimps on is their art department - but the game itself's lost its appeal. Not so much addition as familiarity fatigue, it has nothing new to offer anymore.

I am looking forward to SC2:HotS though - Blizzard has never failed to deliver good single-player content as far as I've been buying their games.

Inkidu

Holy thread necromancy!

I've got to put anything by Fromsoftware in here. I don't care if I'm not hardcore enough, I don't care if you like it or think it's good. I think being able to arouse masochists and closet masochist does not a good game make.

Yes, I'm pissed.

Never mind. I'm still paying it, my body refuses to let me give up on a game I spent money on until I find some redeeming quality with it, or beat it. >:[

Chris Brady

I've not played DS2 since the third week I got it.  I want to like it, I was hoping they'd have changed enough to make it more enjoyable than the soul sucking grind the first game was, but...  Nope.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 15, 2014, 05:00:01 PM
I've not played DS2 since the third week I got it.  I want to like it, I was hoping they'd have changed enough to make it more enjoyable than the soul sucking grind the first game was, but...  Nope.
Like I said, my body wants its money's worth. I'm kind of hoping that it'll be over soon, but gauging by how long it took to just get to the first grand soul, I doubt it.

SinXAzgard21

Call of Duty and Battlefield, both can fall off the face of the planet for all I care.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

klamity

Torchlight 2 - After hundreds of hours in D3, I can't play this. It feels to clunky to me, and things are hardly tutorialized. Whats this giant meter filling up at the bottom? Care to explain? I haven't a clue as to the direction of the story except that the town of Torchlight is under attack and the heroes from the first game can't deal.

Waking Mars - Good overall game, nice aesthetics, however the rooms are just the same thing over and over. Plant this plant here, this one there, there isn't any challenge at all. The little puzzles are simple as all hell to figure out.

Monaco - I simply can't get into this one. The gameplay feels like it might be fun with friends, but considering I have no initial desire to play it I have no reason to ask. If I want a thievery sim, Ill play Payday 2 some more.

Oniya

Quote from: klamity on May 15, 2014, 09:17:07 PM
Torchlight 2 - After hundreds of hours in D3, I can't play this. It feels to clunky to me, and things are hardly tutorialized. Whats this giant meter filling up at the bottom? Care to explain? I haven't a clue as to the direction of the story except that the town of Torchlight is under attack and the heroes from the first game can't deal.

This one?  http://torchlight.wikia.com/wiki/Charge
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Geeklet

and if I recall correctly, if you hovered the mouse over the bar, there was a tooltip that showed exactly what it was for.

Shjade

Quote from: Geeklet on May 15, 2014, 10:24:18 PM
and if I recall correctly, if you hovered the mouse over the bar, there was a tooltip that showed exactly what it was for.
This is an accurate statement.

Monaco I agree about though. It might be fun with friends, but solo, ehhh. Just doesn't grip me, much as I try.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.