News:

Main Menu

Best non-anime cartoon

Started by Armand, October 06, 2012, 06:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

Gravity Falls is a new cartoon on Disney Channel. It's about two kids, Dipper and Mable, who go to their Gruncle Stan's place for the summer.
Dipper is a bit straight laced, and the critical thinker. He is usually trying to get Mable to focus on whatever thing it is they are doing.
Mable is a little spastic, and definitely an asymmetric thinker. Where Dipper is stumped in their problems, usually an idle comment by her gets them going again.
Gruncle Stan is a man of world experience, a bit of ill repute, and a shyster, but he means well. He's usually the comedic relief when he is around.

Gideon's Dad: Oh Stan, Come on in, we have coffee all the way from Columbia.
Stan: Wow Columbia? I went to prison there once.

It's got some spastic humor because it is a kid's cartoon show, but the humor is pretty clever a lot of the time as well. There's few other cartoon shows that could compete for your time at the moment.

Oniya

Wow - Disney's got a show involving kids left alone with an ex-felon?  Almost makes me want cable back!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LunarSage

Hey, Dora's neglectful parents let her hang around with wild animals and traverse dangerous terrains like Crocodile Lake. 

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 03:25:08 PM
Wow - Disney's got a show involving kids left alone with an ex-felon?  Almost makes me want cable back!
I don't know, people have been doing that with for generations.  Usually because they're family.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 19, 2012, 04:30:37 PM
I don't know, people have been doing that with for generations.  Usually because they're family.

Just riffing on the 'Disney = so-wholesome-it's-sickening' theme.  Carry on.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 04:36:41 PM
Sorry...  Is blind today.  ;D
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Talon Sky

I absolutely love Avatar: The Last Airbender, but Adventure Time is slowly stealing my heart as my favorite cartoon.

Seriously man, it's mathematical!
Those who beat their swords into plow shears often end up plowing for the ones who kept their swords.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 14, 2012, 10:15:09 PM
Never heard of those...  Will have to go check them out.
Have you watched Dan Vs yet? I guess not a lot of people watch it because it's on the hub and does not have the following that My Little Pony does.

Lux12

Quote from: Oniya on November 19, 2012, 04:36:41 PM

As it should be.That and I think most of their so called "princesses" reinforce sexist stereotypes.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Lux12 on November 20, 2012, 08:35:16 PM
As it should be.That and I think most of their so called "princesses" reinforce sexist stereotypes.
Disney gets such a bad rep. I'm guessing the ones you think are bad stereotypes are Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty. Whose movies came out in 1937, 1950, and 1959 respectfully. Not to mention that these characters are from even older fairytales. You know back in a time when people were, by todays standards, racist and sexist. Since then, there have been Seven more Disney princesses, and while I can't account for Tiana and Rapunzel as I haven't seen their movies, I would say that the other five are well rounded individuals.

Lux12

One of my main problems is that so many of them are damsels in distress.About the only one I can think of that is not is Mulan which is based on a Chinese poem and legend about a warrior woman of the same name.

ulthakptah

If you want to get technical they are all damsels in distress. They are all ladies, and they all have some problem or another. I don't see a problem with that as conflict is key to any story. What you probably have a problem with is some of them being helpless and needing saving. For one thing there is nothing wrong with needing help. Another is not all of them were helpless and needed saving. Pocahontas is the one who stopped the execution and prevented the war. In The Little Mermaid it was Eric who needed to be saved from Ursula's spell, who then had to save King Triton. In Beauty and the Beast the beast is the one who is dying from a curse which Belle breaks. In Aladdin Jasmin did need saving but so did everyone else, and even though she was held prisoner she did fightback when Aladdin went after Jafar.

Besides the person you should have a problem with isn't Disney. They didn't write the stories, thats just how the fairytales go for the most part.

Spynmaster

Quote from: ulthakptah on November 20, 2012, 10:23:30 PM
If you want to get technical they are all damsels in distress. They are all ladies, and they all have some problem or another. I don't see a problem with that as conflict is key to any story. What you probably have a problem with is some of them being helpless and needing saving. For one thing there is nothing wrong with needing help. Another is not all of them were helpless and needed saving. Pocahontas is the one who stopped the execution and prevented the war. In The Little Mermaid it was Eric who needed to be saved from Ursula's spell, who then had to save King Triton. In Beauty and the Beast the beast is the one who is dying from a curse which Belle breaks. In Aladdin Jasmin did need saving but so did everyone else, and even though she was held prisoner she did fightback when Aladdin went after Jafar.

Besides the person you should have a problem with isn't Disney. They didn't write the stories, thats just how the fairytales go for the most part.
Adding to that, in Cinderella's third movie, Twist in Time, Cinderella clawed her way back to the palace after being forced out by that wicked stepmother using Fairy Godmother's stolen wand, and all that was after said wand was used to time-hax her past to take the "happily" out of her "ever after".
And in Enchanted Stories, Jasmine went to retrieve a strongly-willful horse named Sahara, riding & taming her after no one else could. Where was Aladdin? Nowhere. What was her motivation? She was sick and tired of being treated like a "posey princess". Who could blame her? Not I. Oh, and let's not forget the numerous times Jasmine's helped Aladdin & co in the animated series. That's why she's my favorite Disney Princess.

Stereotypes are ever-present due to human nature, but there's a huge difference between allowing it to happen and taking action against it, and I say that damsels these days are become less helpless and more heroic. That's why they're called "heroines".