News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

First time here looking for Fantasy or Sci-fi RP

Started by Jaydon, August 29, 2010, 08:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaydon

Hi all,
I'm looking for either a one on one story, and or, a multiple person story.  I'm new here so I'd like to get acquainted with the styles of RPing here.  I am open to other ideas for a story line, but since I'm the one posting this, I'll put two ideas out there.

Fantasy    middle ages, we can get more specific if you want to, in a small town on the northern outskirts of a great city state.  North of the town and its farms is a vast pine forest called the Midnight Forest.  Very few have ever ventured into it and only 4 have ever come back out of there alive.  Of the four, only 1 still lives with his sanity, a vagabond who dwells in the slums of the great city to the south.  Everyone has known there were monsters in the great Midnight Forest, but recently those monsters have begun to venture into the farm lands south of the forest.  This has never happened before.  A few homesteads and farming houses that border the forest have been depopulated by the monsters.  No one knows what has happened, not even the people's bones have been found, but the sines of a struggle and death have been found.  A few heroes must seek out the only man to ever come back from the Midnight Forest with his sanity, and then venture into the forest to confront the monsters and find out what is happening before its too late for everyone.
I will play the now Old man in the Slums that came back alive with his sanity, and also one of the young hero's.  I will play a Soilder in the Kings army of 22 years of age.  He wields a broadsword as well as a bow and arrow.  He's been volent-told to go on this mission by his commander who would rather see him parish.  His last name is a disgrace for what his father did years ago.  The young man is trying to fight from under that shadow and make a good name for himself.
Any one interested?  male and female players and characters accepted.

Sci-fi        its 3482 AD and most of Humanity has left Earth to colonize other planets.  As happens with colonization, at first the people that can't live the life they want to live on earth leave, but then soon after those with money begin to leave to build their mansions and countries for themselves.  Finally all that's left on earth are the poor and destitute.  Earth had become a massive slum and by around 3200 AD Earth had been forgotten by most of humanity.  One day an exuberant true believer comes across an ancient book describing this wounderous planet of human origins.  He is compelled to go on a mission to find and explore this old planet of the human race.  He finds soon that he's not the only one and he bands together with a few others to make the grand trip.  With the people he's exploring with from all over and different creeds and ideas, his faith and understanding of the universe will be tested and maybe changed.  All of the explorers ideas and creeds will change when they make it to the Earth and find out the truth of their history as humans and the lies they've been told.  I will play the young true believer.

Let me know if anyone is interested in either.  Please write a quick description of your character. I'm fine with doing both if there's enough interest.  I wont be around tomorrow because I have a soccer game after work, but Tuesday night I should be around.

peteythegreat

I'm interested in the fantasy scenario, very much so ^_^

Not sure how much this fits in with your ideas, just le me know and I can change it, or completely redo it, if you so wish.

My character is a Dwarf, who has promised to die in battle. This makes him all the more dangerous as he literally has no fear. He always carries his axe with him, but is not afraid to improvise should the situation call for it. I won't go into detail about his appearance yet, if that's ok. Partly because it should be up to the reader what he looks like, but also because I'll save description for the actual RP.

And yes, he is based loosely on Gotrek from Warhammer.

Let me know if it's ok/needs changing.

Lypiphera

I'm also very interested in this scenario.

I do prefer to create characters after reading the opening post of a RP, just so they better fit in with the party / style / I can get a feel for things.

If it helps I tend to play Rogues or Ranger types, But occasionally a haughty priest pops into view too!

Jaydon

Hail to both of you.  I'd love to start our story here.  I'm a very open role player with old time chat experience of being the main narrator for an epic story for others.  I always have a general idea of the history and back drops of the stories, but I let the players form their own paths.  I keep the story going with twists and turns that most who have played with me never see coming and love.  I am a very flexible role player where I encourage and love the imagination of others.  I am not the best at high fantasy of the literary or poetry kind.  For me its all about the imagination and story.  That's not to say that if either of you want to infuse that into the story you can't, I'd enjoy that.  I'm not an English major, that's all, hehe.  I'm not the best speller, but I'm not terrible either, and spell check always helps, haha.

I do not know why, but my approval has been put on hold for 6 months.  They don't tell anyone why they've been been put on hold, so I can only wounder what I said or did.  If anyone knows how I might need to conform to be what the leaders want from me, I'm all ears.  I only say this to let you know that I wont be able to get into the more interesting rooms at least for 6 months.  I'd still very much like to RP with you both, but I wont think ill of you if you'd rather not until I'm approved.  You can look at everything the leaders saw in the holding forum.

If you are still interested, I like your character peteythegreat.  You don't have to change anything if you don't want.  We can easily make the kingdom a multi-race kingdom.  At least humans and dwarves anyhow.
Lypiphera, a Rogue, Ranger or Priest would be fine for this story.  You can be human or another race, what ever you like.

This RP will be in the mid evil fantasy style, so magic and mid evil weapons and cloths.  I'm always open to suggestions.
Would either of you be apposed to possibly playing two characters?  I'm use to playing many side characters as well as a main.  It might help and be more fun for all if we all play multiple characters.  If you aren't comfortable with that, that's fine, I can make it work no problem.  I look forward to hearing from both of you.

P.S.  If anyone else is interested we can easily incorporate new characters and people no matter when in the story we are.

Lypiphera

This sounds wonderful :D

I'm quite rusty as its been many a year since I did freeform roleplaying so it would be nice to have a PG13 one started as a comfort blanket and a place for me to regain my feet (or typing fingers perhaps!)

Playing two characters is fine with me too, and I'm happy to add new people in wherever possible also!

As for spelling are you using firefox as you can enable spell checking in all 'typeable' boxes really easily and I find it a great help! Also just to be clear when you are talking about 'mid evil' i'm assuming you mean 'medieval' and its just the spell checker playing funnies with you?

Looking forward to it!

Jaydon

Quote from: Lypiphera on August 31, 2010, 08:11:28 PM
This sounds wonderful :D

I'm quite rusty as its been many a year since I did freeform roleplaying so it would be nice to have a PG13 one started as a comfort blanket and a place for me to regain my feet (or typing fingers perhaps!)

Playing two characters is fine with me too, and I'm happy to add new people in wherever possible also!

As for spelling are you using firefox as you can enable spell checking in all 'typeable' boxes really easily and I find it a great help! Also just to be clear when you are talking about 'mid evil' i'm assuming you mean 'medieval' and its just the spell checker playing funnies with you?

Looking forward to it!

Haha, yes yes, medieval.  I do use Firefox but I miss spelled medieval anyways.
Don't worry about being rusty, we'll both get back into the flow as we are comfortable.
I'm new here as well, I'm not sure how the RPing is usually done in here.  What style are you use to using?  I mean do we use Italics, < >, " ", ~ ~, or something else for narration?
Shall we use this forum to start the story, or IM Chat?  Which ever you are more comfortable with.

Jaydon

haha, oops, I put my response to your quote within the quote itself by accident.  I'm still getting use to the forums.

Lypiphera

I would start a post in the Non-Adult Roleplay category just below this one - that way others can join in too!

As for firefox, have you installed the dictionary addon and followed these steps: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/03/08/how-to-enable-spell-check-in-text-fields-in-firefox/  ? as otherwise firefox won't read your words in these little posting boxes. When I type I have a microsoft word style red lines come under anything I may have misspelt and then I can right click on the word to correct it, it saves me a lot of time!

From what i've seen on the other roleplays active here it's up to the individual, the only rules that seem to apply is that action and speech are separated from each other in some form or another whether its coloured fonts, <>** "" or whichever so perhaps we should just use what we are comfortable with?

Jaydon

Quote from: Lypiphera on August 31, 2010, 09:00:55 PM
I would start a post in the Non-Adult Roleplay category just below this one - that way others can join in too!

As for firefox, have you installed the dictionary addon and followed these steps: http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/03/08/how-to-enable-spell-check-in-text-fields-in-firefox/  ? as otherwise firefox won't read your words in these little posting boxes. When I type I have a microsoft word style red lines come under anything I may have misspelt and then I can right click on the word to correct it, it saves me a lot of time!

From what i've seen on the other roleplays active here it's up to the individual, the only rules that seem to apply is that action and speech are separated from each other in some form or another whether its coloured fonts, <>** "" or whichever so perhaps we should just use what we are comfortable with?

I do have the red line for misspelled words in fire fox, thank you though, :).

So what form are you most comfortable with for narration?  Italics seems to be what many use in here, but I'd get annoyed having to hit the button every time.  I'd rather use < > or ~ ~ or what ever you might be more comfortable with.  Also, lets start with your character.  Where should we begin the story for her?  Take your time if you need it, and let me know a quick description to start the game.  Let me know and then I'll start a new thread in the "Non-Adult Roleplays".

Jaydon

ack, sorry, I mean, "let me know a quick description about your character, so I have an idea of where to start the story.

Jaydon

Quote from: Lypiphera on August 31, 2010, 09:00:55 PM

Well, if you want to start this tomorrow let me know.  I need to head to bed early tonight.  I should be on around the same time tomorrow.  I'll be thinking about the story and characters for it, :).  It sounds like fun.

peteythegreat

Hi guys, sorry I missed all the action last night, I'm in GMT time zone so that was all too late for me :(

I'm happy to start when ever, and to play two characters - although I'd probably rather start with one and then bring the other in some other time.

Just let me know where and when this is happening and I'll jump in :)

Lypiphera

Jaydon, ah good i'm glad you've got it set up - I know so many people who struggle without the precious spell checker <3! Also I'd love to start today, sure! If you want to create the opening post in a new topic on the Non-adult Roleplaying category I'll post my character sheets up on here (I'm thinking a male ranger and a female mage.) Don't worry about starting somewhere suited to my characters, I prefer to make my characters suited to the opening post, so just go for whatever you like for your characters and I'll add them in - I like the challenge hehe!

Petethegreat, I'm on BST (British Summertime actually so technically GMT +1) so last night was a late one for me too, I didn't go to bed until 3.30am :S! At least the good thing about forum posting is that we can post a reply at any time!

Jaydon

Hi Lypiphera and peteythegreat,

I 'm going to start the Midnight Forest thread in just a moment in the non-adult RP section.  I'm sorry I'm a bit late tonight.  I usually get home and on here around 6:30 or 7pm eastern.  Which is I think I think 11:30 or midnight for you all right?  What I'm getting at is that maybe from that 6:30 to 8:30 time slot, which would be 11:30 to 1:30 for you two, we could get some RPing in.  Its not a must, just an idea to get what playing time in that we can together.

So lets start with our first characters, we'll bring in the other characters later.

Lypiphera

Sounds like a great plan, I'm usually up late most nights so its all good :D

I'm just off for the night now but I'll check back on the other topic to see your introduction and get my character sheet up on this thread tomorrow.

As for the whole italics thing I'd be more comfortable using some sort of character on narration text instead like <> or ** or ~~ but I don't think its a problem if we all do things slightly differently. For years I've used ** but I like the look of ~~ too so i'll probably go for one of those.

My first or primary character will be the male ranger just so you know :D

Jaydon

Quote from: Lypiphera on September 01, 2010, 07:33:50 PM
Sounds like a great plan, I'm usually up late most nights so its all good :D

I'm just off for the night now but I'll check back on the other topic to see your introduction and get my character sheet up on this thread tomorrow.

As for the whole italics thing I'd be more comfortable using some sort of character on narration text instead like <> or ** or ~~ but I don't think its a problem if we all do things slightly differently. For years I've used ** but I like the look of ~~ too so i'll probably go for one of those.

My first or primary character will be the male ranger just so you know :D

No problem Lypiphera.  I started the post as "Midnight Forest" and I'll be using < and > for the narration if that's ok with both of you?  I'm going to also try to make a nice map of the story and post it.  We'll see if I have enough time.
So both you and peteythegreat can start bringing your characters into the story.  I've set it up so the first 3 characters can all meet at the town of Rockcreek.  That way we can introduce them to the story.

Flamez1189

This sounds good, may I join too? this will be my first RP here.

Jaydon

Hi Flamez.  I see you found the Midnight Forest post.  You are welcome to join in the story.  Think of a character, what he looks like, what his past history is.  You can even pick another race other then human.  Think of where he might be from, aka, a simple farm, a small town, or a city, or another kingdom.  When you have come up with a character you are going to have fun playing, have him walk into the town and either the tavern or the alchemy shop.

Lypiphera

((@Flamez1189, it's our first roleplay on this forum too so i'd say please do join - the more the merrier!))

Lypiphera's Characters:

Primary Character:
Eyran
Profession: Ranger
Race: Human
Historical background notes: In time's gone past, in times of war, of betrayal, of bloodshed Malshire had depended on the fierce line of men and women that rode in the ranger's colours. Fleet of foot and stout of heart they had been the secret dagger at the heart of some of the greatest battles the kingdom had ever survived. Their tales were told in awed whispers by the fireside and their heroes rode in legend among the stars. But this had been many, many moons ago and few still remembered the rangers as they once were, seeing them now as little more than the great prince's gardeners, the men and women who kept peace in the woodlands of Malshire and who rode as protection to the Lord's monthly hunt.
Approximate Age: 34 Summers
Appearance:•   Unshaven, shabby and often mud splattered Eyran has more important things to consider than Baths. His appearance is rarely consistent aside from a long sleeveless leather overcoat upon which is a myriad of rips and dents, giving the once chestnut leather a much duller appearance, but still proudly displaying the collar pins depicting his rank and regiment.
•   The sleeves of the myrid layers of shirts beneath the overcoat vary frequently from frayed to stained to mostly made of patches, some of them fasten, others forgot what buttons were many a sunrise ago.
•   He is often seen hooded, usually made from some grey nondescript material, which hangs in shallow loops beneath his neck and frames his face in shadow.
•   Usually Eyran will have gloves about his person, these rarely match and are often missing fingers but this seems not to bother Eyran who never seems to manage to hold on to them for long anyway.
•   His leather boots are sturdy, calf high, allowing the ends of his dark trousers to be tucked inside and the excess material bowl out over their tops. Their colour is indistinguishable beneath the mud and staining but appears to probably have once been brown.
•   Perhaps the most well cared for item gracing the ranger's form would be his wristguards, belt knife, bow and quiver, although well worn they are kept well oiled and are obviously cared for regularly, with the knot work and detailing faded but still visible on the leather surrounds.

Secondary Character:
Lyessa
Profession: Mage
Background notes: Lyessa is a city girl through and through, born into lesser nobility and full of the arrogance attributed to her station (not to mention to mages in general), she has made it far in life. Until the money ran out and she found herself out of reach of daddy's pocket. Forced to do 'menial conjuring' in order to work up the coin, Lyessa's nasty streak has gotten her in trouble with a few employers but most people have long excepted there is no such thing as a modest mage...
Approximate age: 23
Appearance: Meticulous and often impractical Lyessa is all sleeves. If it has long, impressive sleeves that make her spell casting look even a fraction more interesting she will wear it. Generally her long, waist length, black hair is piled back with a multitude of pins and clasps and the tinkle of many of expensive bangles can always be heard upon her wrists. Her dresses are usually light weight (for added affect when levitating of course) adorned with flippant detailing and fitted well at the waist, they change daily. Sometimes they even change twice daily when the need arises

Jaydon

Quote from: Lypiphera on September 02, 2010, 06:20:24 PM
((@Flamez1189, it's our first roleplay on this forum too so i'd say please do join - the more the merrier!))

Lypiphera's Characters:

Primary Character:
Eyran
Profession: Ranger
Historical background notes: In time's gone past, in times of war, of betrayal, of bloodshed Malshire had depended on the fierce line of men and women that rode in the ranger's colours. Fleet of foot and stout of heart they had been the secret dagger at the heart of some of the greatest battles the kingdom had ever survived. Their tales were told in awed whispers by the fireside and their heroes rode in legend among the stars. But this had been many, many moons ago and few still remembered the rangers as they once were, seeing them now as little more than the great prince's gardeners, the men and women who kept peace in the woodlands of Malshire and who rode as protection to the Lord's monthly hunt.
Approximate Age: 34 Summers
Appearance:•   Unshaven, shabby and often mud splattered Eyran has more important things to consider than Baths. His appearance is rarely consistent aside from a long sleeveless leather overcoat upon which is a myriad of rips and dents, giving the once chestnut leather a much duller appearance, but still proudly displaying the collar pins depicting his rank and regiment.
•   The sleeves of the myrid layers of shirts beneath the overcoat vary frequently from frayed to stained to mostly made of patches, some of them fasten, others forgot what buttons were many a sunrise ago.
•   He is often seen hooded, usually made from some grey nondescript material, which hangs in shallow loops beneath his neck and frames his face in shadow.
•   Usually Eyran will have gloves about his person, these rarely match and are often missing fingers but this seems not to bother Eyran who never seems to manage to hold on to them for long anyway.
•   His leather boots are sturdy, calf high, allowing the ends of his dark trousers to be tucked inside and the excess material bowl out over their tops. Their colour is indistinguishable beneath the mud and staining but appears to probably have once been brown.
•   Perhaps the most well cared for item gracing the ranger's form would be his wristguards, belt knife, bow and quiver, although well worn they are kept well oiled and are obviously cared for regularly, with the knot work and detailing faded but still visible on the leather surrounds.

Secondary Character:
Lyessa
Profession: Mage
Background notes: Lyessa is a city girl through and through, born into lesser nobility and full of the arrogance attributed to her station (not to mention to mages in general), she has made it far in life. Until the money ran out and she found herself out of reach of daddy's pocket. Forced to do 'menial conjuring' in order to work up the coin, Lyessa's nasty streak has gotten her in trouble with a few employers but most people have long excepted there is no such thing as a modest mage...
Approximate age: 23
Appearance: Meticulous and often impractical Lyessa is all sleeves. If it has long, impressive sleeves that make her spell casting look even a fraction more interesting she will wear it. Generally her long, waist length, black hair is piled back with a multitude of pins and clasps and the tinkle of many of expensive bangles can always be heard upon her wrists. Her dresses are usually light weight (for added affect when levitating of course) adorned with flippant detailing and fitted well at the waist, they change daily. Sometimes they even change twice daily when the need arises

Very nice Lypiphera.  We can work the female character when ever you want.  Our characters have to go to the city of Malton eventually, so we can work her in there.  If you'd rather, you can bring her in earlier when ever you like.
I did you a disservice with the map, I just realized that the only trees on the map is the Midnight Forest.  I plan to make another map of a larger scale so I can create more detail.  The map I posted in the story and which I will post here is a quick beginning map.
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff213/Jaythous/?action=view&current=MapofMidnightForest.jpg

Flamez1189

Well, I don't know if I should join, I am already on another RPing site and pretty loaded up there.

Lypiphera

Flamez1189: Whatever you feel is best hon, if you want to join and see how it goes you are more than welcome too. We can always write you out if need be!

Jaydon: Just read your new post but i'm pooped! Its 3.35am and i'm off to bed, but I'll reply tomorrow!

Jaydon

no problem.  See now I'm replying late, haha.  We can have fun tomorrow, :)

Kevben Battleheart

The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Jaydon

No problem.  I just posted a thread that states the letter in the story.  Why don't you add your character's Prophesy name and then within a post or two we will go to the next location to find your character.  Sound good?