You're Bob Dylan? US Police Wants To See Some ID

Started by Marguerite, August 14, 2009, 05:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marguerite

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814/ap_en_mu/us_people_bob_dylan

QuoteBy WAYNE PARRY, Associated Press Writer Wayne Parry, Associated Press Writer   – 20 mins ago

Rock legend Bob Dylan was treated like a complete unknown by police in a New Jersey shore community when a resident called to report someone wandering around the neighborhood.

Dylan was in Long Branch, about a two-hour drive south of New York City, on July 23 as part of a tour with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp that was to play at a baseball stadium.

A 24-year-old police officer apparently was unaware of who Dylan is and asked him for identification, Long Branch business administrator Howard Woolley said Friday.

"I don't think she was familiar with his entire body of work," Woolley said.

The incident began at 5 p.m. (2100 GMT) when a resident said a man was wandering around a low-income, predominantly minority neighborhood several blocks from the oceanfront looking at houses.

The police officer drove up to Dylan, who was wearing a blue jacket, and asked him his name. According to Woolley, the following exchange ensued:

"What is your name, sir?" the officer asked.

"Bob Dylan," Dylan said.

"OK, what are you doing here?" the officer asked.

"I'm on tour," the singer replied.

A second officer, also in his 20s, responded to assist the first officer. He, too, apparently was unfamiliar with Dylan, Woolley said.

The officers asked Dylan for identification. The singer of such classics as "Like a Rolling Stone" and "Blowin' in the Wind" said that he didn't have any ID with him, that he was just walking around looking at houses to pass some time before that night's show.

The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan.

The officers thanked him for his cooperation.

"He couldn't have been any nicer to them," Woolley added.

How did it feel? A Dylan publicist did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment Friday.

I do not know whether to feel bad for Bob Dylan or for the officers in not recognizing a great artist.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

jouzinka

I think I'm missing something, but honestly... what's wrong with it?

I do realize that Bob Dylan IS a celebrity, but why should he be treated anyway else than the rest of US citizens? I mean... if that happened to you or me, would the officers just walk away if we said 'I am XYZ.' ?

Hardly so. :-)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Oniya

Maybe he could have treated them to a tune or two?  Honestly, it sounds a little like the urban legend of the lady getting scared of [insert random black celebrity] in an elevator when he says 'Hit the floor' (meaning the elevator button) to his body guard.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Myrleena

Hmm...I would have vaguely recognized the name, but that's it.  So I think it's only appropriate.

Revolverman

He should have just tried to say something. No one could miss that mumble.

Oniya

Or tried to sing something.  I mean, the man could write lyrics, but he sings like he has a clothespin on his nose.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Banderas

Just because us old farts recognize Bob Dylan does not mean the "younger generation" does!

If the lead singer of "Young Horny Ho's" told you what her name was, would you defer?

I only use "Young Horny Ho's" as a fictitious example, though they might actually exist in real life.  That's how out of touch I am with all the new crap which passes for music.

Will

Bwaha, that's funny.

I don't really think the idea of the article is to get onto the police officers for their treatment of Dylan. :P It's just funny to think of them not recognizing him even vaguely by name.

If I were him, I think I would have been extremely amused, and maybe even enjoyed being treated like a normal person.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Will1984 on August 15, 2009, 09:27:14 PM
Bwaha, that's funny.

I don't really think the idea of the article is to get onto the police officers for their treatment of Dylan. :P It's just funny to think of them not recognizing him even vaguely by name.

If I were him, I think I would have been extremely amused, and maybe even enjoyed being treated like a normal person.

I imagine so - he never struck me as the type that let celebrity go to his head.  Very down to earth and personable.

Banderas

Quote from: Will1984 on August 15, 2009, 09:27:14 PM
Bwaha, that's funny.

Sarcasm?!

But yes, I am in full agreement.  Not every celebrity is a camera whore, and Bob Dylan has certainly never been one.  He's always been low key, and very private about his life.  No surprise then that two rookies (any cop with less than five years on the job is considered a rookie) wouldn't recognize him, or even his name.  Most young folk these days don't listen to that type of music.

Will

Quote from: Banderas on August 16, 2009, 02:46:40 AM
Sarcasm?!

But yes, I am in full agreement.  Not every celebrity is a camera whore, and Bob Dylan has certainly never been one.  He's always been low key, and very private about his life.  No surprise then that two rookies (any cop with less than five years on the job is considered a rookie) wouldn't recognize him, or even his name.  Most young folk these days don't listen to that type of music.

No, of course I wasn't being sarcastic.  But now you have to wonder whether this is sarcasm.

I know most young people wouldn't be familiar with his music, but I thought they'd at least think "Wow, that name sounds familiar."

- Jack Kerouac

Banderas

Quote from: Will1984 on August 16, 2009, 08:08:29 AM
No, of course I wasn't being sarcastic.  But now you have to wonder whether this is sarcasm.

I know most young people wouldn't be familiar with his music, but I thought they'd at least think "Wow, that name sounds familiar."

Well, those two Long Branch cops certainly had no idea.  On the other hand, if I had pulled over a driver for failing to signal, and the driver in question was the real Bob Dylan, he's hear all about how "Lay, Lady, Lay" is my favorite song before I let him go.  Without a summons, of course.

Sabby

Zakharra

This was handled wwell. No arguing or shouting. I see nothing wrong with what happened. If you are under 30 years of age, why should you know who Bob Dylan is? He didn't have any ID, so they checked.

This stands out as a marked contrast to what happened several weeks ago with the police and the one man (sorry, cannot remember his name).

Cold Heritage

Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Will

Well, I'm under 30.  All my friends are under thirty.  We all know who Bob Dylan is.  Hell, I've seen him live.  I guess I understand the cops not knowing... It just surprised me, is all.  And it's not like I'm hating on these cops, or saying they did something wrong; it's just funny.  To me.  I am amused.

- Jack Kerouac

Lirliel

Kudos to Bob, the Cops and Bob's management, handled well by all parties.

A bit funny that the Cops didn't know who he was, but that's were it ends :)
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Jefepato

I know perfectly well who Bob Dylan is, but I certainly wouldn't recognize him if I saw him walking down the street.  Or any other musician, really.

The part I don't really get is what this unidentified guy was doing that merited police response in the first place.  Did they think he was casing for burglaries or something?

Banderas

A resident called 911 to report a person wandering around the neighborhood, looking at houses.  I have no idea what the details of the call were.  The caller probably stated he looked suspicious, and was possibly casing houses.  This type of call to a 911 operator mandates a police response.

Police respond to the call, they see Bob Dylan, he matches description the caller supplied.  He was doing nothing illegal, and he didn't get all bent out of shape.  The officers ask for ID, as that is a requirement when stopping someone.  It's for paperwork purposes.  Bob Dylan was not legally required to show ID, as he was not under arrest or the subject of a traffic stop.  He goes on his way, and the officers make a notation on their paperwork to the effect "subject refused identification".

The officers resume patrol. End of story.