DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

What about damaging spells?  Could I choose to add +13 dice to the damage of a fireball, rather than adding to the save DC?

Zaer Darkwail

No, not invidual spells nor spell-alikes. When you apply +13 insight bonus anyway to regular spellcasting or mystic powers (psionics, binding, shadowcasting, truenaming, warlock invocations, meldshaping etc) you get to add +13 insight bonus to either save DC of the stuff or +13 to level determine the potency of said stuff (CL = more dice rolled with fireball or how well you go past SR but not for spells known or spell slots).

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 24, 2016, 12:35:07 AM
Unicorn huh? well that's interesting choice for base monster :). I am open ears for plot suggestion.

Anycase vest and the third eye of concentration do not stack as they both are competence bonus (and as paragon you get +10 competence bonus to every skill anyways)? But if other is untyped then they stack and is good for undead who practice diamond mind style (and for spellcasting).

But atm bit busy not able give advice or comments on other items but so far concept looks interesting :).

It was actually Kuno's suggestion, as I was flailing about with little understanding of how the various templates got applied to the base character.  Also, they do have some pretty good abilities.  Plot suggestion will be forthcoming.

And crap.  You're right, I can't stack the Paragon bonus together with the MI bonuses, because they're all the same.  I think that pretty much torpedoes any chance I have of boosting my Concentration through magic items.

Quote from: Jefepato on February 24, 2016, 01:26:25 AM
Just curious, Reiji, why Sacred Watcher?  Is it a concept-based thing, or was the rejuvenation ability too good to resist?  The LA seems pretty high for what you get otherwise.

Sacred Watcher was actually a holdover from my original concept.  And yeah, +5 LA is a lot, but one of the problems I kept running into was that there just aren't that many templates out there for good-aligned creatures.  Compared to the ones for Undead or Evil.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 24, 2016, 02:44:55 AM
Yeah, your correct both accounts. I blame above post of mine for morning derping :P. Anycase yeah; as legendary monster you can take humanoid form or any form so long it does not give you natural attacks which you do not already have (albeit if you go full humanoid form with no hoofs and have no unicorn's horn, then you cannot have hoof attacks or horn attacks naturally as they make no sense). Also indeed unarmed strike can be done by any part of the body (just do not go very silly with it like dick slapping people unconcious with horse wang :P).

This is what I was planning on going for with the Unicorn.  So yeah, no hoof attacks, but there can be a horn attack (as you'll see the start of a horn in the picture).  And no, I was not planning on doing any face-punching with horse rods.  Mainly because the picture...well, yeah.  I think I have another picture I can dig up, but I would prefer that one.

ererruz

Reiji, try Saint. Always a good idea for good-aligned characters. Only +2.

Zaer Darkwail

Saint is good but means you need get exalted feats to qualify as saint. Sacred Watcher is hefty but nice template (it's basically up beefed up ghost template with holy/sacred elements to it and ward function).

ReijiTabibito

I looked at Saint...and then looked at the abilities I would be getting as part of Paragon, Radiant, and my class abilities, and there simply wasn't that much there for me to use?

Saint's conferred DR, Fast Healing, vision modes, Fire Resistance, and boosted DCs?  All covered by Paragon.

AC bonus?  Covered by Swordsage class ability.

I would essentially be trading the abilities I get from Sacred Watcher for three things - the Immunities Sacred gives, the Protective Aura, and Tongues.

ererruz

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 24, 2016, 07:18:53 AM
I looked at Saint...and then looked at the abilities I would be getting as part of Paragon, Radiant, and my class abilities, and there simply wasn't that much there for me to use?

Saint's conferred DR, Fast Healing, vision modes, Fire Resistance, and boosted DCs?  All covered by Paragon.

AC bonus?  Covered by Swordsage class ability.

I would essentially be trading the abilities I get from Sacred Watcher for three things - the Immunities Sacred gives, the Protective Aura, and Tongues.

But the thing is, you'd be getting these bonus from Saint anyway because -- at least the DC and AC bonus (can't remember the rest) -- are sacred and not a lot of stuff gives you sacred boni (not Swordsage and not Paragon for certain). At our power level, let's assume Wis 40 (easily achievable, more if you tried) -- that's +30 AC on its own.

I'm not saying you should change Sacred Watcher to Saint, but Saint still leaves you with +3 LA for another template :-)

Zaer Darkwail

Well, the save DC boost from saint stacks with paragon bonus. As I remember saint's bonus was untyped/sacred bonus where as paragon's it's insight bonus. But choice is up to you will you take it or not, sacred watcher as mentioned looked good to me :). Also note erreruz; all players start max 2 templates besides their base monster. One which their born with and other which they gained later (sacred watcher obviously fits in 'gained later' as to get it our unicorn lady needs to die). Anycase I am okay with the pic. You could get hoof kicks if instead normal feet you have hoofs there :P. Sort like female satyr legs or such.

ererruz

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 24, 2016, 07:27:23 AM
Well, the save DC boost from saint stacks with paragon bonus. As I remember saint's bonus was untyped/sacred bonus where as paragon's it's insight bonus. But choice is up to you will you take it or not, sacred watcher as mentioned looked good to me :). Also note erreruz; all players start max 2 templates besides their base monster. One which their born with and other which they gained later (sacred watcher obviously fits in 'gained later' as to get it our unicorn lady needs to die). Anycase I am okay with the pic. You could get hoof kicks if instead normal feet you have hoofs there :P. Sort like female satyr legs or such.

I did miss (or forget?) that thing about only 2 templates then. Just ignore me then :P

Zaer Darkwail

Did you not get template during the christmas gift period or such?

ererruz

Err... no? Seems I've missed a lot in my absence XD (even character creation rules changed in the meantime)

Lockepick

First I've heard of a gifted template -- but I presume since I made a new character that I'm not eligible anyway!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ererruz on February 24, 2016, 08:53:02 AM
Err... no? Seems I've missed a lot in my absence XD (even character creation rules changed in the meantime)

Indeed you did :P. Anycase I let your case pass but rule is still 2 templates + base creature.

Quote from: lockepick on February 24, 2016, 08:55:24 AM
First I've heard of a gifted template -- but I presume since I made a new character that I'm not eligible anyway!

Newcomers or new chars not eligible indeed :P

ererruz

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 24, 2016, 08:57:38 AM
Indeed you did :P. Anycase I let your case pass but rule is still 2 templates + base creature.

Newcomers or new chars not eligible indeed :P

I had only one template at character creation (Radiant) anyway (and still have), so no rule breaching there! :-)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ererruz on February 24, 2016, 09:01:36 AM
I had only one template at character creation (Radiant) anyway (and still have), so no rule breaching there! :-)

Oh! Nvm then, as popint is you can use less templates or no templates at all (depending what base creature is).

Kunoichi

When it comes to the Saint, I will note that the save DC boost is listed under 'Special Attacks' on the template description, which means it can have the +13 insight bonus applied to it.  So that will be a good template to build up to, if nothing else. ^^;

ererruz

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 24, 2016, 01:05:58 PM
When it comes to the Saint, I will note that the save DC boost is listed under 'Special Attacks' on the template description, which means it can have the +13 insight bonus applied to it.  So that will be a good template to build up to, if nothing else. ^^;

OMG. And now I want a Saint of Chaos... but I don't think there are any chaotic feats like there are exalted and vile, now are there? Oh well!

ReijiTabibito

Either way.  How's the naming schema for these monsters going?  I'm curious b/c I don't think the usual 'Human Colorbodypart' is going to work in this campaign.

(Also, GM, plot idea coming your way via PM.)

ererruz

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 24, 2016, 02:07:04 PM
Either way.  How's the naming schema for these monsters going?  I'm curious b/c I don't think the usual 'Human Colorbodypart' is going to work in this campaign.

(Also, GM, plot idea coming your way via PM.)

You can take a look here.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, Kunoichi's char is called Witch of the Grey Coast, while Sain's is called Dynja the Architect and my own char is Thrice Betrayed Knight. Some chars may have short call name (Xaos) but overall their full names are descriptive titles (titles which relate to their legend).

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Thanks for the heads-up.  Also, quick question.  The item related to our character's legend - what are the rules for that, if any?

Zaer Darkwail

Item related to your legend max cost can be 100,000gp (half of your starting gold). If want make custom item, you combine all item costs together and double the highest costing item cost to cover for the merge.

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  Thanks for the heads up.  Though, a quick supplement to that - the MIC covers 'common item effects' (such as stat boosts, AC bonuses of varying sources, energy resistances, weapon enhancement bonuses, etc).  One of the items I'm planning on making is a Necklace of Natural Attacks - to give her Unarmed Strike magic weapon status - how would we handle that?

Zaer Darkwail

I think we sort ruled that you use pathfinder item which allows add enchants to your natural attacks.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, the Pathfinder version of the Amulet of Mighty Fists is in play, so use that instead.