Shadowrun/Sword Art Online [Interest Check - Need a GM]

Started by undisclosedtoyou, November 02, 2014, 02:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

I'm looking to see if there would be any interest in a sort of crossover between Shadowrun and Sword Art Online.  The idea would be that the real world would pretty much match the real world presented in SAO, so about a decade in the future, where there are a few advances, but it's still pretty much a modern setting; but the VR game would be a Shadowrun themed game.  We'd be players who'd be excited for the official grand opening of the game, join, and than find ourselves unable to log out until the game has been cleared by someone, something that's easier said than done.  This would be a system game, of course, but only in the VR, so we could have a nice mix of people who know the system, and those who are new and could learn it in game.

I don't GM, so I'd be looking for one who's familiar with the Shadowrun system, and would be willing to run it.  This could be as sandboxy or structured as you like, and the main plot is, of course, up to you if you want 100% control over it.  Again, this is just an interest check, thank you.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Cuchulainn

I don't know anything about Sword Art Online but I like the sound of anything shadowrun

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 02, 2014, 04:07:44 PM
I don't know anything about Sword Art Online but I like the sound of anything shadowrun

Sword Art Online is basically an anime that centers around a virtual reality MMORPG and the players who are trapped inside of it.  They either have to fight for their lives in order to clear the game and set everyone free, or stay put and live out a virtual life.  It's a good anime in my opinion, but really, the only thing I'm looking to take from it is the overall premise, or if the GM wants to take more from it, I'd be happy with that to. 

But yeah, Shadowrun is a great setting for a game!
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Marie Reynolds

Hmm this has piqued my interest. though as a player I do not know shadow run well enough to be a gm. SAO plus Shadowrun head explodes from the awesomeness of this idea!

undisclosedtoyou

Yeah, I'm hoping we can get a helpful person who loves to GM systems to join us.  I'll probably end up advertising elsewhere for one, if A) one doesn't show interest here, and/or B)we get enough people willing to play as regular players. 

But yes, It was another awesome person on E who got me thinking along the Shadowrun route, and tbh, I think the system is probably best for what we're looking for.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Latooni Subota

Either Shadowrun or the Cyberpunk series would be the best for that change-up . . . Shadowrun for sure though. Sorry to say though that I'm merely another interested player, since I'm nowhere near good enough to run any of the Shadowrun editions yet. :x
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 02, 2014, 09:06:29 PM
Either Shadowrun or the Cyberpunk series would be the best for that change-up . . . Shadowrun for sure though. Sorry to say though that I'm merely another interested player, since I'm nowhere near good enough to run any of the Shadowrun editions yet. :x

I'm just happy to see that this concept has interest, which is a step in the right direction!  And don't feel bad, I'm not near enough knowledgeable about the system to run it either.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

1SAZ

Interest gained. I love the idea of a VRMMO of Shadowrun, and with the anime just finishing the Phantom Bullet Arc, players definitely have a lot to work with for inspiration. I'm not really one to GM though, but I'd be happy to work with someone to flesh out some of the houserules to simulate the VRMMO aspect of the concep.

undisclosedtoyou

Yeah, I've wanted to play in a Sword Art Online themed game for awhile, but after watching the Phantom Bullet Arc, something more steam punkish(gritty/high tech) really caught my attention.  And I mean honestly, Shadowrun pretty much meets all the criteria down to a T.  I can't really see this being successful without a real system down pat though, so yeah, Shadowrun is perfect. 

I advertised for a GM over in the GM section of E, but haven't gotten any interested nibbles yet.  I'll let everyone know when or if I get anyone to bite, and of course, let you all know who it'll be.  I can see some things needing to be tweaked for the VRMMO aspect, but I don't know how a GM would go about that, right this moment.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Cuchulainn

How does it work for deckers though? Do they plug themselves into a computer while plugged into a computer?

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 03, 2014, 04:18:31 AM
How does it work for deckers though? Do they plug themselves into a computer while plugged into a computer?

I apologise in advance for any misspelling, I'm on my cell phone. So this might change depending on whatever the GM, we get, says, but yeah, you'll probably plug into a ''computer'' while in game.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Muse

Well,I have a small shadowrun plot I could run for a little group of patient people, but it doesn't fit this criteria. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

undisclosedtoyou

Would you be able to tweak your plot to work into this setting?  I'm not entirely sure, all that would be needed to be tweaked, but I'm willing to help.  Alternatively, we could mix it up, with part of the game being dedicated to the plot/system, and another area where people could just play freestyle getting used to the setting and what not.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

KaraKres

I've been missing in action for a wee while, but as soon as I logged in tonight, this thread caught my attention. I've GM'd many Shadowrun games in real life (1e, 2e, and 3e. Completely skipped 4e and have now started reading some of the 5e material) and had a couple of cracks at 1-to-1 Shadowrun stories on E.

I'm keen to have another go at getting a cooperative group game going.

I agree with the sentiments that Shadowrun would seem tailor made for the concept that undisclosedtoyou is gunning for.  I remember a run that my players completed in the 2e 'Super Tuesday' module collection that was very similar to this idea.

@undisclosedtoyou: The most important question I have is how do you want the SR/SAO interface to work?

1. You are willingly part of a VRMMO and have to 'fight' your way out for some as yet to be determined prize?
2. As above, but your participation has been forced in some manner - e.g. 'Running Man' or 'Death Race'?
3. You are unknowingly part of the VRMMO and like the 'Truman Show' the VRMMO is your 'world' and the rest of the 'real world' watches for their amusement?
4. A twist on 1, you willingly join the VRMMO either as agents of some third party. You are to 'play' the game, but conduct a parallel investigation of some sought?
5. A twist on 1, you willingly join the VRMMO but as officials of the game and are drawn into a web of intrigue, etc
6. A twist on 1, you willingly join the VRMMO but in order to fight some menace that somehow threatens the 'real world' (re the 3e 'Brain Scan' module)

These are just some ideas of the top my head. I have so much Shadowrun resource that I could put just about any form of game together for you. I would prefer using the 3e ruleset as that's the one I'm most familiar with. There wouldn't be more than four players. Irrespective of what form the 'real world' took, the VRMMO world would be a Shadowrun one.

Deckers and Riggers pose some extra challengers so we would have to carefully consider their inclusion should a player want one of these archetype. I can commit to being online at least once every two days (or nights actually as I work fulltime, have a family, i.e. a life). As this is a system game, there would be two forums - one for the purely descriptive narrative that we'd write explaining character actions/interactions and a second where all mechanical discussion/resolution would take place. I have a personal dislike when these two aspects are mixed together.

I'm a big fan of verisimilitude - so I would expect lots of gritty language and descriptive combat/violence in each player's post. Unless its a tight, fast paced combat scene, I would expect posts to be at least 1 - 2 paragraphs.

Let me know if you're interested.

XX
KK

Cuchulainn

I also have question how should our characters react in the world? I assume they know its fictional so would they be free to act in such a manner or would they have to play their roles? Also will there be any sexual interaction because this is a programmed game, did the game designers decide to make it in such away that you can engage is sexual intercourse and feel it? Would there be limits to what available only certain positions be available?

Also for the magic classes would they be extremely limited in what they could do? For example there is to my knowledge a spell called haste, how would that affect a player character? Its a program so it may br unable yo slow down time around him or speed stuff up. Will the area landscapes be fully interactive, could you demolish a wall with a spell?

Marie Reynolds

Hmm, I would hope to see that combat be present but also a good portion of developing relationships and personal interaction. I would like us to have to fight our way out be given some type of reward. Would like to see the being trapped in the game and also be people just from the normal world and just be playing a vrmmo. Then players reunite after they beat the game and continue friendships and relationships that have been developed from living in the game. Maybe also have a new company take over and be brought in to investigate the game at a government organizations request due to some odd disturbing thing happening in the game. That is just some ideas I have but can't wait to here from undisclosedtoyou. I would like to give 5th edition a try but will work with whatever edition as along as this game gets off the ground!

undisclosedtoyou

Just wanted everyone to know that I've seen this, and I'll be replying to everyone once I get home. Being mobile sucks when it comes to combing through questions, and making extra sure I've not missed anything.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

KaraKres

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 05, 2014, 05:54:49 AM
I also have question how should our characters react in the world? I assume they know its fictional so would they be free to act in such a manner or would they have to play their roles? Also will there be any sexual interaction because this is a programmed game, did the game designers decide to make it in such away that you can engage is sexual intercourse and feel it? Would there be limits to what available only certain positions be available?

Also for the magic classes would they be extremely limited in what they could do? For example there is to my knowledge a spell called haste, how would that affect a player character? Its a program so it may br unable yo slow down time around him or speed stuff up. Will the area landscapes be fully interactive, could you demolish a wall with a spell?

Whether the characters know their world is fictional is still to be decided. However, the VR world would be like the Matrix films - it would look, feel, smell and taste like the real world. This reality would extend to interactions between other PCs/NPCs and magic would function exactly like it does in the RPG.

akirakaneda

I´m interested, although I don't know about sahdow run, i know very well teh SAO plots, so Im in

Muse

I'd enjoy this.  I confess I'd prefer fifth editon shadowrun to 3rd, but I thin I couldremmeber how to do third. 

The story is certainly interesting. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kunoichi

I haven't had the chance to try out fifth edition Shadowrun yet, so if that's the system that winds up being chosen for this game, I'd like to express my interest.  The plot sounds like it has some potential, as well.

Latooni Subota

Man, I can't remember if I've even played 3rd edition.

I was under the impression that the big part of the SAO-esque plot was being trapped in the game world, not realizing when you purchased it that you were about to be locked away in some psychotic death game. I figure the big end goal would be trying to find a way out, and dealing with all manner of false rumors and things. Maybe the way out is hidden away in a terminal in what's left of the Renraku Arcology, or maybe the Dragons know how to let you out? WHO KNOWS!

Tech and magic wouldn't be too rough to do, since your head is hooked up to the game world. Haste spell? You personally get your 'clock' turned up faster, able to think and act faster as your headset gets overclocked just a teensy bit for a short amount of time. Decking? Just another layer of the game with pseudo-science and weird interfaces and helper menus. Probably would want to simplify decking though . . because seriously. Yeesh.

ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

undisclosedtoyou

I love all this discussion, everyone!  As for what edition we use, that one is completely up to the GM, if KaraKres decides to take up the mantle.  I'll bribe her if I must!

I tried my hand at answering questions below, let me know if I've missed something.  And also, keep in mind, all this is up to the GM, these are just my thoughts.

KaraKres
Quote from: KaraKres on November 05, 2014, 05:29:42 AM
I've been missing in action for a wee while, but as soon as I logged in tonight, this thread caught my attention. I've GM'd many Shadowrun games in real life (1e, 2e, and 3e. Completely skipped 4e and have now started reading some of the 5e material) and had a couple of cracks at 1-to-1 Shadowrun stories on E.

I'm keen to have another go at getting a cooperative group game going.

I agree with the sentiments that Shadowrun would seem tailor made for the concept that undisclosedtoyou is gunning for.  I remember a run that my players completed in the 2e 'Super Tuesday' module collection that was very similar to this idea.

@undisclosedtoyou: The most important question I have is how do you want the SR/SAO interface to work?

1. You are willingly part of a VRMMO and have to 'fight' your way out for some as yet to be determined prize?
2. As above, but your participation has been forced in some manner - e.g. 'Running Man' or 'Death Race'?
3. You are unknowingly part of the VRMMO and like the 'Truman Show' the VRMMO is your 'world' and the rest of the 'real world' watches for their amusement?
4. A twist on 1, you willingly join the VRMMO either as agents of some third party. You are to 'play' the game, but conduct a parallel investigation of some sought?
5. A twist on 1, you willingly join the VRMMO but as officials of the game and are drawn into a web of intrigue, etc
6. A twist on 1, you willingly join the VRMMO but in order to fight some menace that somehow threatens the 'real world' (re the 3e 'Brain Scan' module)

These are just some ideas of the top my head. I have so much Shadowrun resource that I could put just about any form of game together for you. I would prefer using the 3e ruleset as that's the one I'm most familiar with. There wouldn't be more than four players. Irrespective of what form the 'real world' took, the VRMMO world would be a Shadowrun one.

Deckers and Riggers pose some extra challengers so we would have to carefully consider their inclusion should a player want one of these archetype. I can commit to being online at least once every two days (or nights actually as I work fulltime, have a family, i.e. a life). As this is a system game, there would be two forums - one for the purely descriptive narrative that we'd write explaining character actions/interactions and a second where all mechanical discussion/resolution would take place. I have a personal dislike when these two aspects are mixed together.

I'm a big fan of verisimilitude - so I would expect lots of gritty language and descriptive combat/violence in each player's post. Unless its a tight, fast paced combat scene, I would expect posts to be at least 1 - 2 paragraphs.

Let me know if you're interested.

XX
KK

I'm going to start with you, because you rock!  So let me start answering your questions.

Quote from: KaraKres on November 05, 2014, 05:29:42 AMThe most important question I have is how do you want the SR/SAO interface to work?

I figured something simple would work best.  In SAO, they had to work their way up through 100 floors of dungeons, where you needed to defeat each boss to make it to the last boss fight; and once you defeat him, everyone is freed.  I could see this being changed to fit the Shadowrun world better.  Maybe instead of floors, it's jobs you have to get through, and each job gives you an item, or a piece of a puzzle that you need to solve to "beat" the game.   Players would have joined voluntarily.  Maybe it's the first VRMMO to be released, and so there would be a lot of interest in it.  Like in SAO, there would have been a beta before, but the official release traps all the players in.  So really, everyone playing, with the exception of NPC's, are real people trapped in the game.  We'd only focus on our party, of course, but it could be interesting.  And also, if you decide to GM, all this could be changed to fit your needs.

I hope that answered your question, if not, I'll give you my IM in a PM and we discuss it?

QuoteDeckers and Riggers pose some extra challengers so we would have to carefully consider their inclusion should a player want one of these archetype. I can commit to being online at least once every two days (or nights actually as I work fulltime, have a family, i.e. a life). As this is a system game, there would be two forums - one for the purely descriptive narrative that we'd write explaining character actions/interactions and a second where all mechanical discussion/resolution would take place. I have a personal dislike when these two aspects are mixed together.

Mhm, the quote below is how I view Decking to work in game.  But yeah, simplifying it might be important. 

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 05, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
Decking? Just another layer of the game with pseudo-science and weird interfaces and helper menus. Probably would want to simplify decking though . . because seriously. Yeesh.

I agree with you about the two forums, one for the mechanics, and one for narrative sound pretty good.  Maybe we can have a third for say, flavor?  Where people can post more mundane things, like interactions that don't push plot forward, everyday things so we can get the feeling that yes, indeed these people are trapped in this game for so long that they have to start creating lives there.  Like a mini sandbox within the game.

QuoteI'm a big fan of verisimilitude - so I would expect lots of gritty language and descriptive combat/violence in each player's post. Unless its a tight, fast paced combat scene, I would expect posts to be at least 1 - 2 paragraphs.

This all sounds great to me.  I can see it starting off a bit rocky, since these players aren't from the Shadowrun world, but as time goes by, they'd eventually start picking up mannerism's and speech variations that are part of the world they're now trapped within.

QuoteThere wouldn't be more than four players. Irrespective of what form the 'real world' took, the VRMMO world would be a Shadowrun one.

It looks like we're getting a few interested.  Of course, we could go through the submitted characters and what not and see who'd fit best.  We could discuss this via IM or PM if you'd like.

KaraKres
Quote from: KaraKres on November 05, 2014, 04:47:30 PM
Whether the characters know their world is fictional is still to be decided. However, the VR world would be like the Matrix films - it would look, feel, smell and taste like the real world. This reality would extend to interactions between other PCs/NPCs and magic would function exactly like it does in the RPG.

Mhm, I definitely see everyone knowing that the world is fictional, but after awhile that stops mattering as it's now their "new" reality.  And yes to everything else!  A big yes!

cuchulainn
Quote from: cuchulainn on November 05, 2014, 05:54:49 AM

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 05, 2014, 05:54:49 AMI also have question how should our characters react in the world? I assume they know its fictional so would they be free to act in such a manner or would they have to play their roles? Also will there be any sexual interaction because this is a programmed game, did the game designers decide to make it in such away that you can engage is sexual intercourse and feel it? Would there be limits to what available only certain positions be available?

As I see it, which could admittedly change, the characters would react the way you'd expect they would when finding out that they're now trapped in a world they thought was fictional.  They'd know that this is a virtual reality massive multiplayer role playing game(VRMMORPG,) they would be aware that their real bodies are trapped in a coma like state while their minds are trapped within the game, and that if they die in game, their bodies die in the real world.  So yes, they'd be able to act accordingly to these revelations, but they'd be trapped within the game for so long that they'd start playing their roles, since those roles will now have become their new reality.  As for sexual interaction, I'd have to talk to the GM about it, but I'm assuming that yes, it would be a part of the game, as in, you can have sexual relations inside the game.  I'm just going to say that it would go about the same way it would in the real world, without having to do anything special, and you would be able to feel it. 

QuoteAlso for the magic classes would they be extremely limited in what they could do? For example there is to my knowledge a spell called haste, how would that affect a player character? Its a program so it may br unable yo slow down time around him or speed stuff up. Will the area landscapes be fully interactive, could you demolish a wall with a spell?

As for this, I agree with the quote below.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on November 05, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
Tech and magic wouldn't be too rough to do, since your head is hooked up to the game world. Haste spell? You personally get your 'clock' turned up faster, able to think and act faster as your headset gets overclocked just a teensy bit for a short amount of time. Decking? Just another layer of the game with pseudo-science and weird interfaces and helper menus. Probably would want to simplify decking though . . because seriously. Yeesh.

Marie Reynolds
Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 05, 2014, 06:45:49 AM
Hmm, I would hope to see that combat be present but also a good portion of developing relationships and personal interaction. I would like us to have to fight our way out be given some type of reward. Would like to see the being trapped in the game and also be people just from the normal world and just be playing a vrmmo. Then players reunite after they beat the game and continue friendships and relationships that have been developed from living in the game. Maybe also have a new company take over and be brought in to investigate the game at a government organizations request due to some odd disturbing thing happening in the game. That is just some ideas I have but can't wait to here from undisclosedtoyou. I would like to give 5th edition a try but will work with whatever edition as along as this game gets off the ground!

I pretty much agree with everything here, this is how I viewed it in my head to.  I haven't thought about anything post-being trapped in the game, but if this game is successful, maybe it could work for a sort of sequel?

akirakaneda
Quote from: akirakaneda on November 05, 2014, 05:16:11 PM
I´m interested, although I don't know about sahdow run, i know very well teh SAO plots, so Im in

I'm going to disclose(haha get the joke) a little secret.  I've only played on one Shadowrun system game, it was on E, and I wasn't in it for all that long.  I just know that the background fits with this game, and I've made the decision to study the hell out of whatever edition of the game is chosen.  We can learn together!  Also, I figured that with such a setting, learning as you go could actually fit in, since there are beginners in every MMORPG :D
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

KaraKres

Okay, so what I take from the conversation thus far is:

1. The characters live in the Shadowrun world of c. 2060 (which allows for the tech that underlies the whole concept)

2. All characters will be willingly participants in a closed beta test of a VRMMO.

3. For reasons as yet unknown; a person or persons have sabotaged the beta test so that the participants are 'trapped' within the game.

4. As the VRMMO is basd on Matrix technology, it is possible for your meat body to be killed if your VR self is. Unlike the Matrix, you cannot be forecably jacked out as the dumpshock will also kill you.

5. All of the real world tech, magic and metahummanity is replicated in the VRMMO. The VRMMO experience is so vivid as to be like real life. All five senses are engaged.

6. The characters themselves would not be magically actice in the realworld as it is incompatible to the VRMMO technology. (sorry no burned out mages.)

7. All players believe that the game and AI behind it can be beaten. This in theory should allow a player to leave the VRMMO. Players will receive a breifing on this prior to entering the VRMMO and further information will be discovered in-game.

I now need to get to work so will provide a further update once I discussed rules, number of players, etc with undisclosed.

Arion

Color me interested, Shadowrun has always been a fav setting of mine.  Careful with 5th edition though, Mages can be insanely OP if given the opportunity.

In regards to Karakres, unless I'm mistaken, I thought the original idea was for this to be set only about 10 years or so into the future, and that Shadowrun would be the MMO that everyone's characters got trapped in.
"The flesh surrenders itself.  Eternity takes back its own.  Our bodies stirred these waters briefly, danced with a certain intoxication before the love of life and self, dealt with a few strange ideas, then submitted to the instruments of Time.  What can we say of this?  I occurred.  I am not... yet, I occurred."     -Frank Herbert

"I've rambled with the worst of them, fell in love with a harlequin, saw the darkest hearts of men, and I saw my self staring back again, and I saw my self staring back again."    -Bartholomew, The Silent Comedy; If you do not think that this is one of the greatest songs ever written... You.  Are.  Wrong.

<a href="https://www.f-list.net/c/arion99">My F-List