NEBULA HIGH - Super Powered High School! (Reboot - Closed for Now)

Started by LunarSage, January 11, 2013, 07:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Quote from: kingmaster1 on January 13, 2013, 04:39:08 PM
Yes, for the most part he would need to take it from an area that could, if melted down, would cover his body, namely a large amount, but he can also cover certain parts of his body at once, like just his hand or his arm and a sword would be enough to cover his arm.

Yep yep.

The school would say no though... once he's a graduated hero he can carry a sword but for now he's going to learn to make use of his surroundings.  ;)

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Major Major

kingmaster1

Right, no sword on the rest of campus.

But yes on the learning it from the weapons teacher? (sorry if I'm being difficult, I don't mean to be :-) )

LunarSage

It looks good. Consider yourself approved, Major Major.

Do you need help finding a character picture?

Major Major

Yeah, that would be nice; it's hard to find images online of people that are 'normal', and not supermodels; Heck, Id even use my own image if I thought it would be any good.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

LunarSage

Ugh, perhaps others' image search-fu is better than mine.  I'm finding nothing.   -_-

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on January 13, 2013, 04:53:08 PM
Is there an IC?

Not yet.  Busy busy busy day today.  Look for one by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Ciosa

Quote from: Major Major on January 13, 2013, 04:47:41 PM
Yeah, that would be nice; it's hard to find images online of people that are 'normal', and not supermodels; Heck, Id even use my own image if I thought it would be any good.

mind posting an idea of what you're looking for?

Major Major

Well, if at all possible, I'd like an image of someone fairly close to Marty's description; a tallish, kinda overweight WASP guy with short, messy dark blonde hair and hazel eyes. If they have glasses as well that would be wonderful, but not essential.

Josietta

The closest I came upon a quick search (things over here are nuts atm):

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Ciosa

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Major Major

Quote from: Josietta on January 13, 2013, 05:11:24 PM
The closest I came upon a quick search (things over here are nuts atm):

This will work. Thanks Josie.

AribethAmkiir

Cold Heritage

Modified the CS, specifying Superhuman Strength as Major and Superhuman Stamina as Minor.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

LunarSage

Quote from: Major Major on January 13, 2013, 05:20:06 PM
This will work. Thanks Josie.

Will get the picture added shortly.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on January 13, 2013, 05:47:45 PM
Okay added her history. 

Approved!  Added your sheet to the character sheet thread.  :-)

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 13, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
Modified the CS, specifying Superhuman Strength as Major and Superhuman Stamina as Minor.

Gotcha.  Thank you.  Will get you added here in a minute.

azzmeister89

Cold Heritage

Maybe to a degree, but it's a common superhero convention to have the two be discrete powers. And for a game like this, it would just be greedy to try and bundle up a lot of things into one power.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Josietta

Quote from: azzmeister89 on January 13, 2013, 05:56:04 PM
Wouldn't stamina fall under strength anyway?

Stamina does not fall under strength.

Stamina is endurance or durability, if you want to look at it from a Marvel Heroes Concept line.

Strength is how much weight you can lift and endurance is how long you can hold it. You can have one without the other even though they are often seen together. They are not required to be together.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Jefepato

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2013, 10:04:28 AM
If we need to limit the power down the road for the sake of a hindsight balance issue, you're ok with this?

If so, you are approved.
Broadly speaking that's fine.  If you have any specific concerns I'd rather talk about them now than later, but I appreciate that it's really kinda broad and there might be things we haven't realized.

On that note, I'm not sure how to set specific terms on the limits of what Tommy can do with his power (currently) but if we need to figure something out we can try.

Tommy's ability to make things actually real seems like sort of a big deal.  My original plan had nothing to do with him providing illicit substances to other teenagers but it occurred to me that he could before I was finished writing.  Is doing minor bad things like that (assuming like booze or weed, not "hard" drugs or anything) by means of one's powers considered a huge offense in Nebula High (i.e. worse than it would be elsewhere)?

I mention this not because I'm trying to make my character a drug dealer, but because...well, I've been a teenager and frankly if this is the worst thing a teenager did with this power, you'd be lucky.

Do let me know if there are any other concerns.

LunarSage

Jefepato:  Yeah, I mean in the broadest sense... like things we hadn't thought about suddenly popping up.

As far as drugs go, don't his creations have a limited lifespan?  We can always say that halfway into effecting someone, the substance vanishes.  Perhaps he doesn't even know why illicit substances or gold and the like vanish so quickly.  It would eventually be revealed, mind you... but that's all if you're ok with that "limitation".

Jefepato

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2013, 08:24:48 PM
Jefepato:  Yeah, I mean in the broadest sense... like things we hadn't thought about suddenly popping up.

As far as drugs go, don't his creations have a limited lifespan?  We can always say that halfway into effecting someone, the substance vanishes.  Perhaps he doesn't even know why illicit substances or gold and the like vanish so quickly.  It would eventually be revealed, mind you... but that's all if you're ok with that "limitation".

Well, it depends how long it takes him to make things really real.  My assumption was not that it's an incredible endeavor but isn't really super long.  I'm willing to negotiate on this -- I'd like him to have a few weird objects that might just have been experiments in "can I make this?" but I don't want to break the game.  (Of course it's possible that he just can't get good enough to do certain things in the actual timeframe of the game.  And in any case if making something would take so long that he can't actually talk for that long (although repetition is fine) he can't do it -- no putting it on hold.)

I would like to make things internally consistent, but it's possible that he hasn't even realized that doing things he knows he shouldn't do make it harder to create the thing, or something.  I'm not really against him just being unusually well-behaved in certain respects if it's kinda important that he not do a few things though.

Things meant to be consumed are kind of a weird middle ground.  I mean, the fact that it vanishes is actually abusable in itself if he can make food whose calories won't become an issue (or booze that won't be able to give you a hangover etc.).  Maybe there should be some reason that's not easy to do.

ebpohmr

Quote from: LunarSage on January 13, 2013, 10:04:28 AM
We're having a tough time understanding exactly what his power does.  Could you please clarify?  Wording that he could potentially stop the Earth's rotation makes us a little leery though.  No one is supposed to have that high levels of power.

Oops, that's what I get for trying to be technical on low amounts of sleep! In the most basic sense, he can change the velocity of an object by transferring the energy creating the velocity to another object. If he tries to transfer too much energy, it releases inside him as light and heat energy - which can really mess him up if he isn't careful. Especially as he doesn't yet have full control. The idea is that as he grows into his power, the amount he can transfer at once will increase and he will be able to contain a bit more of the energy before it starts messing him up. Oh, he doesn't have that kind of power - he's extremely limited in how much energy he can use that way (literally just enough to levitate and fly). Theoretically if he could find a way to travel at an impossible speed (and I really mean impossible - as in the universe-has-to-break-for-it-to-possibly-work kind of impossible), he could use enough energy to stop the rotation of the Earth. But there is no way such could ever actually work - its purely a theoretical concept such as infinity. If he ever tried it, he would develop an instantaneous case of spontaneous human combustion and the Earth wouldn't even notice. If that explanation doesn't help, I'll just reword the abilities. ;)

LunarSage

Quote from: Jefepato on January 13, 2013, 09:00:49 PM
Well, it depends how long it takes him to make things really real.  My assumption was not that it's an incredible endeavor but isn't really super long.  I'm willing to negotiate on this -- I'd like him to have a few weird objects that might just have been experiments in "can I make this?" but I don't want to break the game.  (Of course it's possible that he just can't get good enough to do certain things in the actual timeframe of the game.  And in any case if making something would take so long that he can't actually talk for that long (although repetition is fine) he can't do it -- no putting it on hold.)

I would like to make things internally consistent, but it's possible that he hasn't even realized that doing things he knows he shouldn't do make it harder to create the thing, or something.  I'm not really against him just being unusually well-behaved in certain respects if it's kinda important that he not do a few things though.

Things meant to be consumed are kind of a weird middle ground.  I mean, the fact that it vanishes is actually abusable in itself if he can make food whose calories won't become an issue (or booze that won't be able to give you a hangover etc.).  Maybe there should be some reason that's not easy to do.

In general, I was under the assumption that objects created were created instantly, with a limit on mass that we should discuss.  Maybe a couple tons or so?

Can we just say that there's some sort of force (perhaps divine) that prevents him from creating illicit substances or prevents such creations from existing long enough to be used?

Quote from: ebpohmr on January 13, 2013, 11:24:05 PM
Oops, that's what I get for trying to be technical on low amounts of sleep! In the most basic sense, he can change the velocity of an object by transferring the energy creating the velocity to another object. If he tries to transfer too much energy, it releases inside him as light and heat energy - which can really mess him up if he isn't careful. Especially as he doesn't yet have full control. The idea is that as he grows into his power, the amount he can transfer at once will increase and he will be able to contain a bit more of the energy before it starts messing him up. Oh, he doesn't have that kind of power - he's extremely limited in how much energy he can use that way (literally just enough to levitate and fly). Theoretically if he could find a way to travel at an impossible speed (and I really mean impossible - as in the universe-has-to-break-for-it-to-possibly-work kind of impossible), he could use enough energy to stop the rotation of the Earth. But there is no way such could ever actually work - its purely a theoretical concept such as infinity. If he ever tried it, he would develop an instantaneous case of spontaneous human combustion and the Earth wouldn't even notice. If that explanation doesn't help, I'll just reword the abilities. ;)

I guess what I'm asking is in very simple terms, what is the end effect of his power?  Telekinesis?  If so, we need to determine a solid limit on how much he can lift with the power.

Josietta

Quote from: ebpohmr on January 13, 2013, 11:24:05 PM

So what you are saying is that you have a limited spectrum of telekinesis?   I'm not sure its even necessary to mention things he could "Theoretically do" but in actuality not accomplish. Its like saying I could jump from a plane without a parachute but i'd likely die from the impact.   Making theoretical comments just confuses people further, even if I get what you are saying -- others may not.

So in layman's terms, he has telekinetic powers that allow him to shift the kinetic energy of one object into another therefore allowing him to run an otherwise electrical fan through kinetic energy taken from a windmills motion?  So this means the higher amount kinetic energy around him means the higher level of output he gets? Is that what you are saying?

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas