Monsterhearts

Started by Modern Fairy Tale, October 28, 2015, 02:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239140.0

Thats the OOC thread, kinda got buried in the wall of text the GM posted recently. Thats where the sheets go when they're done. :)

Usually in a Monsterhearts game, just make all the choices on the Skin playbook and wait to choose Backstory with the other players, as part of the fun is making links with others and them getting Strings on you and getting Strings on them. :)

VioletPanda

I already posted mine, leaving some things blank for discussion. I'm excited to play this! Playing a ghost should be fun. It kinda reminds me of this movie I saw; I think it was called 'The Invisible' where a young man killed himself and became a ghost and only one girl could see him, a friend, because she knew to look for hims and no one else even knew his name.

Sounds really cool if it'll be like that. How's Cassandra for an old name/mournful name? The prophet cursed never to be believed. Dun Dun Dun!
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

wander

I love ghost stuff, I'm a massive fan of Wraith:the Oblivion and Geist:the Sin-Eaters, glad it's getting played in this. :)

Go with whatever you think is right for you, Luka. :)

Modern Fairy Tale

waunder, thanks for helping Luka.  I appreciate it.  Ill be contacting Boering to see how things may fall.

Oh... some details which slipped my PMs.  The Darkest Self is relased often by fear, violence, sex... beastial cravings.  Its the baser, beastial side which we all have.  With monsters its just hopped up on steriods.  In WoD it would be like Frenzying or Raging or something.

Oh, and about this...
Quote from: LukaWolf on November 08, 2015, 06:33:30 PM
   Question: I understand how most of the skins work, but Ghost looks more and more appealing but I have a question. How does the Ghost skin work?  Does the character die and then wind up in homeroom at game start? How much is the character a true ghost vs a real flesh and blood character aside from the Darkest Self mechanic?

This game doesnt fill in details about the mythology or methodology.  All of that can be fitted or invented on the fly by the character and MC (Master of Ceremonies).  So if we want... Vampires can be an addiction to tainted drugs.  Werewolves might only be the bastard children of nobles and preachers.  Or we can make one a pompus race of sparkly retards which play superpowered baseball and attend high school for hundreds of years and the werewolves are a race of shapeshifting shamanistic bouncers between spirits and mankind.  With all of that, its about having fun and letting everyone just fill in the blanks with thier character, being the only one means you get to set all of that.

Now with a ghost, there was a book and movie, I think called "The Changeling" which has a woman out for revenge, but by the time she is strong enough to reach our world decades has passed.  She is able to appear, seemingly completely solid and real... even sleeping with the children of the men who killed her.  In colonial times and before... in fact vampires as they existed in Romanian lore as well... ghosts could be very solid and fleshy.  They werent on the other side of some misty barrier they could only scratch at.  They married people in some of the stories... look up the one about the girl with the ribbon around her neak she asks her husband never to cut.  Of course he cuts it... and surprised... shes been dead the whole time.

Hope we answered your questions and you are onboard.  Id love to have you with us.  Let me knwo if you have any more questions.

LukaWolf (Ive sent her a PM, but she did cover some ground I thought we should share.)

Okay.  Ill try and answer some of the questions you posed... if waunder didnt answer all of them.  Which he did pretty well.  Ill also mention the Reply # the question shows up in.

Monsterhearts seems pretty simple.  Its mostly a social game... not a lot of details on how much your girl can lift or how much ground you cover in a full out run.  Thats for D&D or tactical games.  This is about relationships and feelings which burble up in a person if they are so isolated and driven... the way monsters feel in love and lost in our world.  There are moves for turning someone on... eduring such... shutting someone down on a dime, etc.  Other fun stuff shows up as well.  Did you know the Ghoul has a play which makes them wake up from death... all the time.  I wanted to play a suicide who goes Ghoul... just jump into death over and over in game and just brush myself off later and walk off the scene like David Banner from The Incredible Hulk.  Thats cool... but isnt really what the game is about.  Its about sex... sexual tensions and symbolisms... trying to make peace with your inner sexual demons.  Because of this, anyone whose ever been in a relationship and felt on the verge of losing control would really understand and get into this game.

I have a claim on the Fae.  I have someone who kind of said ghost/ghoul... so really I have to hear back from him and see if hes chosen yet.  You two can work it out.  As to the Darkest Self, I havent gotten all into the rules yet.  Ive seen reference to him, but not every character becomes this if they have sex.  The Ghoul... sorry, really read up on that one... immortal, whoopee... suddenly gets fixated on whoever they just fucked.  From now they get a hunger... for flesh... or chaos... or fear.... and fucking whoever they last did it with.  Oh, and a certain action lets the Ghoul heal herself... or lose problematic conditons like burned or frozen solid by engaging her hunger.  Her Darkest Self stirs only when she has to pass up a chance to partake of a hunger.  So each mechanism for the Darkest Self and all of that is very specific.  So Im going to have to read up on mostly on the skins which see use.

Yes, strings are like relationships... or obligations.  If someone sees you transform then they gain a string on you.  Strings can be turned in or used to influence someone.  Like before... mechanics are very specific to each skin, so how someone utilizes and even aquires strings will change for each PC.

Have to hear back from Boering first.  If hes cool with it, you can have the ghost.  It will be fun to see from that side of things.. but Ill probably want to use dream like scenes for you... maybe borrow some things from the old WoD Wraiths.  Just when some ghostie things are needed.

Sounds cool.
She again rubbed a match on the wall, and the light shone round her; in the brightness stood her old grandmother, clear and shining, yet mild and loving in her appearance. "Grandmother," cried the little one, "O take me with you; I know you will go away when the match burns out; you will vanish like the warm stove, the roast goose, and the large, glorious Christmas-tree." And she made haste to light the whole bundle of matches, for she wished to keep her grandmother there. And the matches glowed with a light that was brighter than the noon-day, and her grandmother had never appeared so large or so beautiful. She took the little girl in her arms, and they both flew upwards in brightness and joy far above the earth, where there was neither cold nor hunger nor pain, for they were with God. 
Hans Christian Anderson in The Little Match Girl

Modern Fairy Tale

Oh, my mistake.  Boering said Witch or a Ghoul.  Not a Ghost.  So thats open for you, LukaWolf.  I misremembered that post.  Sorry about that.
She again rubbed a match on the wall, and the light shone round her; in the brightness stood her old grandmother, clear and shining, yet mild and loving in her appearance. "Grandmother," cried the little one, "O take me with you; I know you will go away when the match burns out; you will vanish like the warm stove, the roast goose, and the large, glorious Christmas-tree." And she made haste to light the whole bundle of matches, for she wished to keep her grandmother there. And the matches glowed with a light that was brighter than the noon-day, and her grandmother had never appeared so large or so beautiful. She took the little girl in her arms, and they both flew upwards in brightness and joy far above the earth, where there was neither cold nor hunger nor pain, for they were with God. 

VioletPanda

Awesome! That's good to hear!  :D
   I'd love to plan some strings with people, and such, I just want to figure out what I want to do with my character. I like the idea of being able to be solid for a time- maybe she is trying to find out what happened to her and has manifested now to try and find who is responsible... But she's still a teenager, high school age.

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Beorning

Oh wow, this thread moved really fast since I last checked!  :o

Okay then, I'll try working on a character... Could someone walk me through the character creation process?

VioletPanda

Sure, I can help! Have a look at the skins guide. I based mine off of that.

Pick a Skin, two Moves for the skin, the Look, and I think that we are waiting on Origin so we can make Strings together. :)

My A/A PageMy O/Os

wander

Yep, basically just pick a Skin that speaks most to you and follow the instructions it gives you. I've just placed my character completed in the ooc thread, which I shall link again here;

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239140.0

It's Backstory you mean, Luka btw for Strings. We can choose whatever origin we want. Origin is the single word sort of linked to the look and general bio of the character, where Backstories are what we discuss once the rest of the character is done. :)

VioletPanda

Oh, right! I thought that the origin was part of the back story.
Also, I changed my name. Call me Panda :)

My A/A PageMy O/Os

wander

I just noticed! ^^

Will do. :)

VioletPanda

Did you mean for us to speak up via pm,  because I posted in the other thread without thinking about it. Oops!  :o

My A/A PageMy O/Os

wander

Naw, it's better to do it in OOC as everyone gets a word in to sort of bounce ideas off each other and pick and choose who suits their Backstory better for plot hooks and arcs. I'd like to see what GMPCs are available in this game soon tbh, as I do have a thing for breaking the bad girl.  ^-^

Beorning

Gah! And I still can't decide which skin to choose. The Ghoul is interesting, but evil. The Witch isn't as evil, but also isn't as interesting...

VioletPanda

Flip a coin? Either way you'll know what to pick. Either you're happy with the results,  or you'll be sad,  so you pick the other one.
Sneaky Panda  >:)

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Modern Fairy Tale

Witches can be evil.  Imagine representing a darker side of natural forces.  Mother nature can be kind and providing and yet cruel as well.  Ghouls can be good.  You dont have to crave flesh... you could crave chaos.  Just go around making random shit happen... pulling fire alarms or seducing and dumping boys and seeming to just enliven at such activities.  Damage just seeming to melt away from her too thin body with each act of chaos.

So we have to make a few decisions.

First off, is everyone comfortable with the girls private school and the unsolicited, remote help... or is that too much comfort?

Second off, is the bad girl clique and the illuminati group involved behind the school at all interesting?  It was just a premesis I thought could bind several skins in an essentially neutral enviroment.  It is undercover, though, so all supernatural activity must be hidden or one can be expelled.

If we want the bad girl clique, what do we want on it?  I might take my two girls and put them on the bad girls.. the Beast and the Creature... or what would you find interesting as a bully and a rival?  I have already listed my ideas.  Tell me whachathink.

VioletPanda

I think so long as no one knows that the staff in on it, that would be okay. If a character thinks they got lucky, but still feel isolated, I think it would make for a good setting.

I'm actually torn between the Illuminati group and an active bully in that regard. Someone making snide comments is more insidious, for sure, but I guess it depends on how active everyone else wants it. I like both personally.
   This game is supposed to be about how messed up it can be to be a teen. I think having both would make it very flexible, and give the PCs the sense of 'if it's not one thing it's something else'.

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Allangar

i was wondering if there was still place in this rp ?

Modern Fairy Tale

Allangar

Of course.

Here is our OOC which is where we are beginning to pick who gets what Skin.  We already have a few character sheets posted up.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239140.msg11805429#msg11805429

Please read from the top of each of these threads so you are caught up on who wants what and can give me your opinions on our discussions.  This isnt but a couple of pages at most in each and much of it is repitition... just skip over that.  Ive written up The Beast and The Creature, but if you want one of these types perhaps I can part with one.  We cant wait to hear your contributions to our discussions so far.

Allangar

ok good i will check them out

Modern Fairy Tale

Very soon I will be starting up this game.  Ill let all those starting out our story to have one free advance on your sheet.  This could be as simple as a Werewolf checking that he has a pack or picking up another move he saw someone else have which he liked.  This is just a thank you for everyone helping me set our setting and getting this ball rolling.  If you as a player have a problem with this and want to discuss this, please feel free.  Its just a thought...

New OOC thread started in NC Human.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239554.msg11809996#msg11809996