News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Guinness Needs to RTFM?

Started by Rhapsody, July 13, 2009, 04:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhapsody

Wasn't sure where else to put this, and it has the possibility of getting heated, so here it goes.

http://failblog.org/2009/07/13/omg-u-fail-so-hard/

A bit of a childish response, but really... fair use is fair use, is it not?
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Serephino

People have been getting really riddiculous about that lately.  There's been some issue with Yahoo groups getting in trouble with sharing articles and knitting patterns.

From what I understand, it's only copyright infringement if you're using the thing in question to make a profit.  I didn't see any profit being made.  What it looks like is the company was embarrassed and used legal bullshit scare tactics to get the thing removed.   

OldSchoolGamer

Agreed.  Lawyers and courts have entirely too much power in America.  We're well on our way to becoming a kritocracy.

Maeven

Quote from: Rhapsody on July 13, 2009, 04:29:01 PM
Wasn't sure where else to put this, and it has the possibility of getting heated, so here it goes.

http://failblog.org/2009/07/13/omg-u-fail-so-hard/

A bit of a childish response, but really... fair use is fair use, is it not?

Well, not really. They have to actively protect their trademark in order to avoid dilution and a term becoming 'generic'.  Think: Escalator (it was orginally a trademark of Otis). 

So no, "fair use" doesn't apply in the realm of trademarks like it does copyright.  Copyright does not protect marks, it protects expressions of ideas.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Oniya

Also, it looks like they are protesting the use of the 'Star and pedestal', not the use of the term 'record breaking'.  While the term 'record breaking' could apply to any place that keeps records, the 'star and pedestal' mark refers specifically to the Guinness World Records.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Maeven

Quote from: Oniya on July 15, 2009, 09:52:11 AM
Also, it looks like they are protesting the use of the 'Star and pedestal', not the use of the term 'record breaking'.  While the term 'record breaking' could apply to any place that keeps records, the 'star and pedestal' mark refers specifically to the Guinness World Records.

Exactly.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

The Overlord

The full legal response can be read here: icanhaz.com/legalresponse

ROFL, ya’ll been Rickrolled.

Nothing here to see…move along.