A World of Leagues

Started by Jag, January 16, 2010, 01:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Haibane on January 17, 2010, 10:03:10 AM
Its funny, I liked the French because of 'Albatross' (Isn't this based on the Jules Verne book 'Master of the World'?) and of course Victorian/Edwardian era Germans are always fun to play because they can be so despicable and efficient, but yeah, as you say, the two groups are all canon characters and you'd need players who both know the characters and want to play those nationalities.

H.G.Wells book "The War in the Air" might throw up some inspiring sub-plots, ideas or characters... Alongside "The War of the Worlds" and "The Time Machine" its one of his great trilogy of sci-fi works and its by far the most steampunky and has things like two-wheeled motor cars that balance gyroscopically and clockwork one-man flying machines and war-fleets of zepplins.

I have a slight fear a Japanese league might turn into some bizarre anime-inspired weirdness...

Can you think of any famous British females of the era - perhaps scientists or explorers or something? Or social activists like the Suffragettes? I'm casting my mind round for a female OC for the English League and haven't had any luck yet...

Hmm.. if you want to expand your range (out of movies/books)  to other media, there is a character from a video game (Sort of 'tomb raiderish' set in the 1880-90 range, had a guy and girl you could choose from)

Transgirlenstein

I would leave video games out of League inspiration.  The sources of characters has always been literary, video games add a whole new element.

The problem with the Japanese league is trying to think of Japanese literary characters of that period is not an easy thing to do.  I would just keep the leagues you had.
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Jag

Actually, most of the German League was made up of pure Movie characters. So long as the video game isn't WAY out there (like final fantasy), then I could see using the character.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Transgirlenstein

A few German characters I just thought of...

Wagner the Werewolf
Count Orlock
Krampus
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Jag

If someone wanted to use a non-American, non-English character for the Murray Original Character, I'll allow it cause technically Orlando isn't English.

Just a note out there to anyone wanting to play a French person/German person/Russian person/ etc...

Callie Del Noire

Nightmare Creatures.. but I was wrong about the date (it's around the 1830s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Creatures

And if you want a 'emigre' Russian in the Murry group.. you could have General Zaroff from 'The Most Dangerous Game'. (but you got Quartermain as 'great white hunter')

Haibane

I have found Mary Kingsley. She appeals to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kingsley

She sounds like a female Victorian version of Indiana Jones who was in favour of not interfering in black African tribal culture, which upset the Church whose missionaries were out there trying to convert everyone to Christianity.

The only issue is she died in 1900 and had she lived, she'd have been 50 in 1912. Perhaps while out in Africa our version of this lady went native and made contact with Witchdoctors or Shamans and was initiated into some of their skills and knowledge and she has the power - given by spirits - to make herself appear younger than she is and cheat what would have been her own death from natural causes in 1900. So in 1912, though she is aged 50, she has the body and strength of one aged around 30 and is quite good with certain dark practices that can be used to defend (as in ward off evil and sickness) those she values as friends and harm (as in curse, blight or infect) those who are her enemies. I think the Shamanistic skills should come at a price though, perhaps if she practices witchcraft she suffers bouts of debilitating weakness or something while the spirits take over her body.

Skills would include: explorer, survivalist, tracker, orienteering, mountaineering, botanist, zoologist, possibly good with a rifle or pistol, horsewoman, motorcyclist, African linguist, artist.

Jag

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 17, 2010, 10:24:22 AM
Nightmare Creatures.. but I was wrong about the date (it's around the 1830s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Creatures

Little things like those dates can be changed for the sake of the game if someone really wants that kind or that specific character. I'm flexible on that.

Quote from: Haibane on January 17, 2010, 10:24:49 AM
I have found Mary Kingsley. She appeals to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kingsley

She sounds like a female Victorian version of Indiana Jones who was in favour of not interfering in black African tribal culture, which upset the Church whose missionaries were out there trying to convert everyone to Christianity.

The only issue is she died in 1900 and had she lived, she'd have been 50 in 1912. Perhaps while out in Africa our version of this lady went native and made contact with Witchdoctors or Shamans and was initiated into some of their skills and knowledge and she has the power - given by spirits - to make herself appear younger than she is and cheat what would have been her own death from natural causes in 1900. So in 1912, though she is aged 50, she has the body and strength of one aged around 30 and is quite good with certain dark practices that can be used to defend (as in ward off evil and sickness) those she values as friends and harm (as in curse, blight or infect) those who are her enemies. I think the Shamanistic skills should come at a price though, perhaps if she practices witchcraft she suffers bouts of debilitating weakness or something while the spirits take over her body.

Skills would include: explorer, survivalist, tracker, orienteering, mountaineering, botanist, zoologist, possibly good with a rifle or pistol, horsewoman, motorcyclist, African linguist, artist.

She could of also of done the same thing Allen and Mina did. Go to Uganda and bath in the 'Fire' to become youthful and immortal. Cause Allen Jr. is actually just Allen and would be over 100 by 1912.

Jag

I'm snagging one of the Japanese slots for myself. I was going through google and came across this:

Ignore the multi arms
Another one

It kind of reminds me of Azula from Avatar the Last Airbender. The Fire nation uses a lot of 'steampunk' like tech with their ships and such. So I'm thinking of a Geisha type of warrior. *still putting it together in her head*

Haibane

Aha. Okay, sounds a good option. I was quite fond of some Shamanistic skills but if you think witchcraft is too out there I can easily drop that. I think she needs a 'power' or an 'angle' though to make her interesting.

Possible image:

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/40/d/AAAAC9i1_4cAAAAAAEDfhQ.jpg

The real woman was quite a handsome lady I think:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/Mary_Kingsley01.jpg

Jag

Use whatever picture you would like. You can include more than one in the profile.

As for powers...I don't think it would be too out there. Callie's character has some magical skills and it can be one of the reasons she is offered a place in the League.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 17, 2010, 10:44:00 AM
Use whatever picture you would like. You can include more than one in the profile.

As for powers...I don't think it would be too out there. Callie's character has some magical skills and it can be one of the reasons she is offered a place in the League.

Well I can see Selene as a more 'scholarly' occultist.. wheres the quite impressive Miss Kingley would be 'gone native' englishwoman with shaministic practices. :D

Jag

First for the Japanese Profiles.

Character Name: Kikuya Sakata
League: Japanese
Played By: Michi No Sora
Height: 5'4''
Weight: Unknown

Description: Looking at her no one would be able to tell her apart from any other average Japanese woman. Average height, weight, and slender build hidden under heavy robes and Kimonos. Her cold, dark eyes ward most men off and let them know she is not interested in their looks, touches, or affections. Her just slightly darkened skin is like everyone else around her. Really the only thing that sets her apart is her personality, not her looks. And sometimes the fact that she lets her hair down and sometimes refuses to wear it in the uncomfortable style that most women do.

Having her hair down is the only thing that sets her off at first glance from the others around her.

Character Biography: Kikuya was born as Masami in the year 412 to a rice farming family. They had little money and rarely had food. In an effort to bring money and food to her parents and younger siblings she allowed herself to be sold into slavery to a local Land Lord. The man had a thing for young girls, luckily Masami wasn't young enough and he treated her as a maid and not a bed whore. He was a kind Land Lord to her and she was sad when he died. His estate had a large debt on it and as part of the property she was sold off once again.

In the year 432 she was twenty years of age and sold to another, not as nice, Land Lord. He forced her into bed and even had a doctor rid her body of his child. The procedure left her unable to bare another child and also left her with no feeling in her sexual organs. While a woman that couldn't bare children was of no use to a husband, she was also of no use as a whore since she didn't feel it anymore. The Land Lord quickly set her free of her slave contract and left her in the streets.

She lived in the streets for nearly two years before she was taken in by a kind woman. The woman never revealed her name and only told her that it was of no importance so long as she had a home and food. Masami agreed with that and lived happily for a decade. During her stay the woman taught her to cook, clean, and sew. Things a proper lady should know how to do. She also taught her how to dress, talk, walk, and present herself properly in the company of others. Masami was very grateful for all this and never once questioned the woman's reasons for it. She was grateful for the shelter and kindness after all.

It was only when the woman brought home a man that she saw the woman wasn't normal. Instead she saw her kind friend as a monster. She watched the woman kill the man and then feast on his blood. Masami knew this woman was a demon of some kind and had to get away. Before she could get away she was assaulted by the woman. Masami begged to be let go, but the demon woman told her that she would regret leaving. The demon offered her eternal life for only one thing in return. All Masami had to do was bring a man to her every year so she could feed on their blood and souls. Masami didn't even have to do it for eternity, only for one hundred years. The temptation of ever lasting life and youth was too much for the young girl to pass up.

The hundred years passed without excitement, with the exception of keeping up her end of the bargain of luring men to the demon's home. During the years she did many things most women didn't. She used the demon's resources to learn to read and write as well as fight. The demon's friends were more than willing to train the new immortal to defend herself and kill humans. Though to Masami she didn't see it that way. She just saw it as learning something most women of her class never got a chance to do. She was trained in horse riding, swords, daggers, and spears. By the end of her hundred year deal she was a master in nearly all these.

The girl left and passed herself off as a boy till she'd proved herself to the Emperor that as a woman she was the best warrior he had. Her male name was Adachi Tokiaki, but when she showed herself to be a woman she introduced herself as Kikuya Sakata. The Emperor welcomed her into his army. But as all things do (except her) the Emperor died and everyone around her died off slowly till there was no one left she knew.

Kikuya spent her life roaming Japan. Learning and studying all her skills till the end of the 1800s. Many paintings of the beautiful girl existed, but none ever knew her name. She posed for money and even allowed some men to have their way with her, even though it provided her with no pleasure.

In the year 1900 she was offered to lead a government group to protect the country. Somehow they knew her name of Masami and asked for her assistance in return for great sums of money. Kikuya accepted and it is said that the demon that created her still follows her around in the shadows.

Personality: Cold and distant. She doesn't hate her immortality, but she finds it boring and tends to stay away from others. She has taken to the new century with the same sort of outlook she has all others, 'It will end soon enough.'

Equipment: Usually a spear, but she can use a sword and dagger rather well.

Haibane

Quote from: Michi No Sora on January 17, 2010, 10:44:00 AM

True. Its not called an Extraordinary League without good reason. I'm just concerned that if I give her too many Witchdoctor powers she'll be too powerful. But certainly she could be a form of healer/protector of the League with her defensive magic.

Jag

If I (or too many others) think that her powers are 'too much' then we'll let you know.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Haibane on January 17, 2010, 11:28:47 AM
True. Its not called an Extraordinary League without good reason. I'm just concerned that if I give her too many Witchdoctor powers she'll be too powerful. But certainly she could be a form of healer/protector of the League with her defensive magic.

Well she could always 'fix' the english 'spring'.. :D Ooooo.. dry warm weather for miles around her!

Scary! (Sorry flashed back on the 'dress for an English summer' line from the movie)

Jag

Haibane, do you want me to put you down for one of the character spots? If so, which country did you want?

Haibane

I was thinking Mary Kingsley fitted into the English League as the OC.

Jag

Okay. Done. Just PM me or post the profile here when it's done. If you need help with any of it, just as and we can (if it were one of the cannon characters I would do the profile for you).

Callie Del Noire

Gah!

<bounces up and down tigger-like>

Want ta start! Want ta Start!

<LOL>

Surely someone wants to play the great white hunter, Allen Quartermain (Jr)

Doktor Sleepless

Alright, I'm in. Not interested in playing existing characters, really, so I'm gonna go with a guy who worked with the Wright Brothers then broke off because they weren't interested in going to the extremes he is... he has a two-person fighter plane; a la Don Carnage. :) And he's very swashbuckling...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Doktor Sleepless on January 18, 2010, 11:52:46 AM
Alright, I'm in. Not interested in playing existing characters, really, so I'm gonna go with a guy who worked with the Wright Brothers then broke off because they weren't interested in going to the extremes he is... he has a two-person fighter plane; a la Don Carnage. :) And he's very swashbuckling...

Complete with french (sorta accent) and an electro-sword? That sounds totally cool. LOL.

Jag

Great. ^__^

Two Americans is what I was looking for to be able to start (we can add people as they come along).

I just need a profile Doktor. Doesn't have to be big and flashy. A pic and basic info (I can expand it with fluff text and such if need be).

I'm eager to start as well. If I'm not dead tired tonight I should be able to get the American and English thread up (we'll worry about Allen later). Even though I'm not playing as one of the Americans I will be doing the first post to it. Just to set the scene and such.

EDIT: I'm on lunch at work right now...so I'm off in a minute or two...other wise I would of kicked it off now. :P *wanders off back to work*

Haibane

Hm. Why do the words 'Crimson Skies' come to mind? :P

EDIT: Also - Michi, slightly curious... what is the plot? Do you have one in mind?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Haibane on January 18, 2010, 12:15:05 PM
Hm. Why do the words 'Crimson Skies' come to mind? :P

I don't know.. but I have this image of a white faced Selene in the back of a steampunk rocket/jet/aerochopter as he screams in glee at how fast it's going. "I told WILBUR we could achieve prolonged speeds of this level!"