A Relic of the Past [M x F]

Started by klamity, February 27, 2017, 06:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klamity

The large ship was built like the ones from the days of old, and given it's condition, must be one. Large rings surrounded a central core, hang overs from the early days of space travel when artificial gravity was still in it's infancy and had to be supplemented. Aging solar arrays, their panes chipped and broken away, fanned out from the ship like wings of a bird, catching rays of light from the sun the ship had come to orbit. There was a very slight debris cloud around the slowly drifting ship, rotating in place in it's orbit. Emblazoned in bleached out colors was an emblem that read 'Endeavor'.

In the waning years of the 22nd century, amid growing strife among Earth's nations and alliances, scientists working jointly between corporations and the remains of governmental space agencies had devised a method to let humans enter cryosleep. It was a dream come true, a potential step in colonizing new worlds! Gathering what they could, a small ship was put together, named the Courage, and was set on a test flight to Mars. The inhabitants woke no worse for wear, and once news of the feat began to spread, the collection of scientists gained more support. Funding, supplies, manpower. More ships were put together for a Mars initiative, while a new group worked on something larger, something for the future.

Lights on the exterior of the ship flickered, barely showing signs of life. No automated responses came back to any hails sent to the craft. But it couldn't be possible. How could a ship this old have made it out this far from Earth? It didn't have a warp drive, it barely had gravity! Either way, something so old would surely have treasures of some kind for any onlooker. Cultural artifacts lost in time, the discovery of a lost ship, all of which could potentially be sold for a high price to the right people. All that you'd have to do is get inside, and it appeared this ship even had a hanger; an easy way in.

It was called the Endeavor. Ten thousand people would take the long voyage to the nearest system with a potentially habitable planet, or at least one similar enough to Earth that it could become livable. Stocked with colony supplies created after everything learned from trials on Mars, built with on board automated systems to monitor and control the entire ship while its occupants slept, it was meant to be humanities first step beyond Sol. The journey was to take 4 years after having taken many gravity assists around Sol. Every few months, sections of the ship would be awoken, medically checked, allowed to stretch, maintain the ship, and return to sleep.

After 10 years, after 9 years of radio silence, they stopped trying to reach them. The Endeavor was considered lost due to unknown reasons that happened between waking periods. Progress didn't slow, and humans did reach for the stars, but it's early attempt would forever be lost among them.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my prompt. I haven't been on Elliquiy in a good while, so please excuse me if I seem a little rusty. Of course, that doesn't mean I haven't stopped roleplaying during that time! as you might have been able to tell from the prompt, your character has stumbled upon the lost ship Endeavor, hardly functioning in a distant system from Earth. My character will a survivor among the silent ship, it's automated systems having done it's best to keep on as many cryopods over the years.

What I'd like to explore in this prompt is world building a future society, and the cultural differences between someone from the 2100's and whatever century we see fit for the story to take place in. How have things changed in that time? Can they even properly understand each other at the start? How will someone from outside of society for so long re-enter? For an overarching plot, I'm open to many different arcs, so please bring your favourites!

klamity

playfullchick76

This sounds like one I could play out with you. My character could be the captain of a salvage ship, stopping in an unfamliar system after a navigational error. Before we fix it, we pick up the ship on the scanner and go in to investigate. The Endeavor could have been lost for 200 years, does that sound okay, or should it be longer.