Battletech! Enough said!

Started by Latooni Subota, May 21, 2010, 08:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin

Yea same here. I have not had him finished yet and I'm not sure it will.

FRom the looks of my Excell shett I am at the point of trying to gain more bonuse XP by throwing out some of the good Traits and taking bad ones or something like that.

Paladin

>.< and its still; confusing the hell outa me at this point. *Sighs*

Paladin

Yea still making my brain hurt loads trying to figure this stuff out. Sadly I'm starting to wonder if this is the game for me.

Katina Tarask

It's... not hard.  Seriously, if you can't get yourself through even character-creation at this point, I really doubt you'll be able to handle mech combat.

Paladin

Quote from: Katina Tarask on July 03, 2010, 01:35:27 PM
It's... not hard.  Seriously, if you can't get yourself through even character-creation at this point, I really doubt you'll be able to handle mech combat.

I'm sorry miss, but I handled mech combat in the 3.0 Edition just fine. I'm always screwey with new systems. now Kindly don't talk to me anymore as You have just thrown an insult my way and now I'm pissed.

Paladin

I apolagize to everyone else, but people that insult me and basically call me stupid shoul try working in a PLastics factory 8-12 hours a day 21 days straight with only 1 day off while then studying for next semsester so they can get another 3.5 GPA for the next semster like they did for this last one.

Maybe if said person woul get on YIM or and AIM program or even PM here and help me finish the chaarcter I would gladly apolagize when they show me its something simple and that I've actually been rather stupid for misreading something or something like that.

Latooni Subota

I'm sorry, but you REALLY don't need to throw a fit over something like this. Plus, you said you don't want Katina to talk to you, and then suddenly change your mind and want her to help you? That's a bit off, don't you think?

If you want, YOU could be the person to IM or PM for help, or look up FAQs on the internet about character creation, or force yourself to read through the pdf until you understand it despite whatever eye problems you might have. There's no need to snap, and get defensive.

Note: This doesn't mean 'go ahead and message me', since i'm rather busy and won't even be home for the majority of the night. >>;
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Paladin

When people call you stupid at every stage of your life and youve had to fight to proove them wrong its hard to not get defensive. I am however sorry for snapping at Katina. It was a sudden thing. As for understanding the PDF, I am reading it and still not understanding it at the point I am at. I've even fixed the eye problem issues thanks to your helpful suggestions.

Skystomp

Best way to look at it is, you get your 6 thousand points.
Attributes cost 100 points per attribute 'rank'. Human 'norm' is 3 or 4 I think.
Skills cost varies, you'll have to look at the chart.
Special stuff all costs 100 points per 'rank'

Some of the stuff you'll have to look up is that some skill sets, like being a mechwarrior require like Rank 3, and Reflex 4 or something. So some of the points will be sunk into that. Personally, take the attribute Fast Learner for 300 points. It will more then pay for itself just in creation alone giving you reduced skill costs.

That's the simple way of looking at it. Hell it's what I did because I couldn't get more then a single point in the Body stat and had a rank in glass jaw.... not a fun combo.
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

Paladin

I'm at he part where you buy back extra points and stuff like that and I'm not quite understanding that part. its like you gotta buy up to this level, or down to this next level? Its like Huh?

Aether

Which means you are doing the life paths.

So, if you have any amount of neg points, from -1 to -99 in a trait, lets say Compulsion: Arrogance, then you have to put an amount of points into the trait to make it an even number divisible by 100.  So lets say it is -65 in Compulsion: Arrogance, well, you need to put 35 skill points to make it an even 100.

Same thing for positive traits.  ie, you have +165 in Fast Learner, you must put another 135 skill points in it to take the trait.

DO NOT FORGET, your first -500 points in neg traits will go directly back to your point pool, but thats after you do the trait buy up buy down.

Paladin

Quote from: Aether on July 05, 2010, 12:06:40 PM
Which means you are doing the life paths.

So, if you have any amount of neg points, from -1 to -99 in a trait, lets say Compulsion: Arrogance, then you have to put an amount of points into the trait to make it an even number divisible by 100.  So lets say it is -65 in Compulsion: Arrogance, well, you need to put 35 skill points to make it an even 100.

Same thing for positive traits.  ie, you have +165 in Fast Learner, you must put another 135 skill points in it to take the trait.

DO NOT FORGET, your first -500 points in neg traits will go directly back to your point pool, but thats after you do the trait buy up buy down.

Sooo if I don't want Fast learner, then dropping it gives me back 165 points then? just using that as an example.

Aether

This is an excellent place for people to confirm or deny what I know about lifepath builds.  As I understand it, you cant simply take or leave stuff thats assigned to your character at whim.  Your character needs all those bits and pieces to make it a part of whatever you chose for steps 1 thru 4.  So, just for an example, you would HAVE to buy up to 300 points to take fast learner.  There is no dropping it.

I ditched this means of building a character cause I had like 5 or 6 compulsions at -50 pts a piece along with alot of other neg traits and I refused to spend the points.

Paladin

yes but I do realize we are using the point build system so maybe its me being so used to life path build and getting the two confused.

Skystomp

I found the Lifepath stuff to be very confusing and got lost when they were talking about buying points back. Frankly, do the point buy. It's a little more expensive at points but you get what you want, how you want it and with little confusion.
The only way you fail, is by not trying.
Linkara "I read it and I wish I hadn't!"

AllieCat

I'm at the point where, in a few days (say monday), I'll just go with the people who've submitted character sheets. I know this is bad, especially with the fact I haven't been online much.. but at some point I don't want to lose the ones I have.. so if you can get them in soon, do so please.

Paladin

*Sighs* I knew that would happen somehow. I know I want to play badly. If anyone is willing to try and help so I can get finished I'd be appriciative.

Paladin

Ok I think... THINK I have this Right. Since this is my first time building with this new system i'm not sure of anything. If someone wants to take a look at my excel sheet and do the math I will send it to them but right now I did the best I could while still much confused. Now tos ee if I just need to scrap him or if I need to go on to background stuff.

Name: Kaiser Kerensky
Height: 6 foot 6
Weight: 170 lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Slate Grey
Afilliation: Wolf Clan

ATTRIBUTES:
STR: 3
BOD: 4
RFL: 5
DEX: 5
INT: 2
WIL: 5
CHA: 2
EDG: 2

Traits:

POSITIVE

Fast Learner
Equipped Lv1      
Mechwarrior Phenotype
Trueborn
Custom Vehicle Lv6

NEGATIVE

Compulsion/Arrogance Lv1
Compulsion/Distrust of Inner Sphere Lv1
Compulsion/Wolf Pride Lv2
Compulsion/Wolf Honor Lv2
Enemy Lv3

SKILLS

Language: English 1
Perception 2
Intrest/Clan Wolf Remembrance 3
Protocol/Clan Wolf 4
Leadership 4
Strategy 1
Martial Arts 4
Melee Weapons 3
Small Arms 3
Career/Soldier 4
Negotiation 2
Medtech 3
Navigation/Ground 5
Gunnery/Mech 5
Piloting/Battlemech 5
Sensor Operation 3
Taectic/Land 3

Aether

Oh, YAYS!

So there is a tentative start time in mind??

Someone really should pretty please move into the house with me and the other lovely contestants...  Its so lonely in here with all these...  *shudders* ...NPCs...

Latooni Subota

See, this is why I suggested just making it a 24 hour deadline. I'm a brat like that. ;)
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Aether

So, considering said deadline, are you just waiting for Allie to close this out then??  Before you join me in the house??  Hmmm????

<.<

>.>

Paladin

Quote from: Latooni Subota on July 08, 2010, 05:28:01 PM
See, this is why I suggested just making it a 24 hour deadline. I'm a brat like that. ;)

Some of us have jobs dear. So anyways can you check the character to see if its ok or if it needs changes? I didn't pull any XP out of the skills but it says you can. do I have too many skills, are my stats not high enough? The chaarcters in the book seem much more powerful than us.

Aether

Quote from: Paladin on July 08, 2010, 05:47:05 PM
Some of us have jobs dear.

Sir, some of us have jobs and go to school and barely have time for anything let alone a fun distraction here and there as provided by E.

Dont be so wound up, Paladin.

It would help if you had an actual xp count in there somewhere, or did your spread sheet get you to 6k?

Paladin

Oh I wasn't wound up, I was just mentioning it off hand

My job has me working 12 hours right now. its a bitch. Umm thats just it I have no clue about the excel sheet. I just started working on it. I'm not sure if I'm below, at, or above 6K. If you have excell you can take a look I'll E-mail it to you if you want.

Aether

I have a different way to go about it, I will get back to you in a few.