News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Firefly game

Started by Older And Wiser, December 18, 2009, 08:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Older And Wiser

Starting this thread to discuss possibilities for a Firefly based game.  Please weigh in on these issues:

Original cast or new roles in Firefly universe?

What should the plot include?  Where is the ship headed and why?

Do we want to add aliens?

Please describe a character you would like to play

RubySlippers

Goody!

Original Characters!

What about a small luxury ship traveling with gambling and other amusements.

NO ALIENS FOREFLY UNIVERSE HAS NO ALIENS!!!!  >:(

A Companion would be fun or a really good whore, not a Companion but well might run some girls on the ship depends on the game plot and all. Would be a pacifist most likely.

sinera

I'm thinking if it were a luxury ship it would have a few licensed companions. I kinda got the impression that LCs kinda look down on whores. Besides, if you have enough money to get on a luxury liner, you have enough to have the company of a LC once in a while.

Maybe even a 'sightseeing' type trip to the outer rim, complete with "fake" pirates... unfortunately they meet up with the real thing? I'm sure it could happen LOL. Ever see the movie "Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?"

OR... maybe they're scavengers, much like in Firefly, but also set up to do small-scale rescue missions (like the guy in Spacehunter), and sideline as bounty hunters/repo men?
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Aravol

Hnnn, my interest, it is piqued.

Original characters. We're looking at a well made and diverse setting, so let's do it the justice it deserves by making up our own stories, not just recounting what has already been.

Personally, the setting is ripe for a plot and layout similar to the show. The unrest, combined with the poverty on the rim, could easily lead to some freelancing work when one acquires a ship, legal or otherwise. Since there seems to be some interest leaning towards a luxury liner, this leads me to think that inserting some intrigue via the various crime organizations, such as those of Badger or Adalai Nischa, as horribly as I may have spelled that last one, would not go amiss, and might stir up some nice plots?

Aliens? Absolutely not. Firefly had a beauty in it's realism, in it's focus on the people, the politics, and the day-to-day, not on crazy, fantastic creatures or sciences, save perhaps the case of River. Aliens simply don't belong in a setting that didn't even both with Faster Than Light travel.

Personally, I would think someone lithe and violent, perhaps a simple card dealer to the guests, but a swift hitman for the cheaters and other unpleasant folk likely to frequent a luxury liner. In a way, opposite Jayne, but with a similar job.

ladyelizabeth

Original characters of course.  No aliens.

I'd be willing to play a companion or something like zoe or Kaylee :)

The Oath of Drake *~*  On/Off's  *~*  A/A's

sinera

Quote from: ladyelizabeth on December 19, 2009, 06:02:37 PM
Original characters of course.  No aliens.

I'd be willing to play a companion or something like zoe or Kaylee :)

*laughs* that's three of the four main female characters...

I'd actually like to play someone like Mal, barring that, a shepherd.
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

ladyelizabeth

lol I just wanted to keep options open.  If someone really wants a selection, I'll fit easily into another one :D

RubySlippers

We could do a less than elite recreational ship some gaming, horizontal refreshments (hee hee) and maybe some less than legitimate merchanting with maybe a little garden room to relax in. Should be more fitting for the region and should be open for interesting plots.

ladyelizabeth

ok the horizontal refreshments just made me picture a woman laying on a table while having food on her and being a sexual table for desert.  O.O  wow what a picture.

RubySlippers

Recreational use of women doesn't make her a whore, a Companion might find it amusing.

Aravol

Quote from: ladyelizabeth on December 19, 2009, 07:50:04 PM
ok the horizontal refreshments just made me picture a woman laying on a table while having food on her and being a sexual table for desert.  O.O  wow what a picture.
Yes, but a picture I must say I very much like XD

On the subject of recreational ship, it seems odd that one would need to take up merchant work much at all, though it could be some room for a very interesting angle of intrigue, having to keep illegal cargo aboard right under the rather high-held noses of the passengers, or, as said, invite intrigue and danger through contacts to what one might find to be the more unsavory of the 'verse.

Senti

I played Table top characrter that was a River/ reader  type character that had been Serenity Valley ...yes she was crazier than a box of frogs.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Aravol on December 20, 2009, 02:28:36 AM
Yes, but a picture I must say I very much like XD

On the subject of recreational ship, it seems odd that one would need to take up merchant work much at all, though it could be some room for a very interesting angle of intrigue, having to keep illegal cargo aboard right under the rather high-held noses of the passengers, or, as said, invite intrigue and danger through contacts to what one might find to be the more unsavory of the 'verse.

No I was thinking middleman brokers and the like. For example a representative for the Niska family offering certain goods and arranging transportation, but nothing on the ship. Which would make it business not illegal smuggling. ;)

Older And Wiser

ok to summarize and state my confusion... I saw "original characters" out there, but then folks went on to talk about luxury liners and Serenity is anything but that (think the cow smuggling episodes)  The debate seems to be around
1.  Luxury vs. a firefly class freighter
2.  Whores vs. companions
3.  Luxury trip vs. a transport trip involving whore/companion

ABSOLUTELY NO ALIENS  - (ok I give up!  I give up!  :P)
Do I have the debate parameters down? 

So all that said, and by way of a compromise proposal, let me suggest
1.  The Serenity has been upgraded to a luxury liner after they struck it big with a book deal/talk show circuit for exposing how revers were created. :-)
2.  The folks on board include original cast, new or replacement cast (e.g. replacement for the Shepard?), new crew, paid passengers and "ships entertainment"  which  can include companions, whores (for the lower class decks), gamblers, card sharks, singers, piano players, bar tenders, security, and cabin attendants - think Mississippi gambling steam boat in space. 
3.  This is a cruise to the outer rim planets.  The plan was to have staged pirates but real ones show up.

If you like, let me know.  Also, do you think I should put a character sheet out and start something?

2.  Play original crew

What I thin

Aravol

Methinks it's a shortfall on the word "original," but, at least when I'm using, I'm referring to characters we make up ourselves, not the ones from the show, and I got the impression that other people were saying that as well?

RubySlippers

A Firefly is not a large ship folks making that into an incredible luxury liner is unlikely. But a small elite ship for select people may be likely. The kind that can afford a Companion for say a week non-stop.

Taolan

Am I wrong to have literally drooled over my keyboard when I saw this thread?

I have a character already based around the Firefly universe. He's a tinkerer that flits between planets in a ship a little smaller than a standard shuttle, making money by fixing things and selling schematics he drafts between planets. His primary form of companionship is a small robot that he built to house the stochastic computer his father built, which is a short version of saying he has an AI companion. Said companion can be removed for the sake of story integrity but Tangent (the AI) is excellent comic relief.

And Agreed. NO EFFING ALIENS!

Though the occassional reaver incursion is perfectly fine to me. I'll even be willing to NPC for 'em.

Michael Corvus

I would be interested in a story/game based on Firefly. I think it would be fun to play all new, original characters, but the rough and tumble type. Mercenaries, scavengers, smugglers, bounty hunters or something similar.

Perhaps we're the best at what we do and we've been offered a contract from the Alliance, Badger, or from Adelei Niska. Something similar to the firefly crew and their ship, yet different.

Perhaps we are competition for the firefly crew? They may even know us and dislike us, yet respect us professionally?

Alternatively, we could be an up and coming crew with a plan, be it legal or illegal, but currently lack the means to implement that plan. So, we start out from the beginning, without a ship, without a crew, without a job. Perhaps only a couple of us are acquainted or have ever even met.

Just some of my thoughts.

I would agree, definitely no aliens though.
My O/O's | My A/A's | My Characters
The Oath of The Drake
*Currently Only Seeking Group Games*

Older And Wiser

So lets roll on the roles!  May I suggest you post
1.  Name
2. Gender/sexual orientation
3.  Role (e.g. ships crew, companion, etc)
4.  On Serenity or another ship.  If another, please describe it.
5.  Physical description of picture.

I like the idea of the small luxury liner where you get a companion/whore(s) for a week.  We can then bring in other folks and ships as we fly around.

I can start this after the new year as I am heading out on vacation for the holiday and not even this interferes with skiing.

Lady Kitsune

Zhe zhen shi ge kuai le de jin zhan....

I would love to be apart of the Serenity's crew. 

I like the idea of maybe mixing original character's and new characters.  As for the plot, the universe is huge and maybe Serenity is on the run.  Exposing, the Alliance is not exactly a good thing.  Or maybe a side story about the weird guys with blue gloves.  Maybe the crew use the luxury liner thing as a coverup for their crusade to really expose the Parliament. 

Oh, I don't think aliens are good.  Although you could have a mutant or government experiment pop up now and then. 

If the Story starts after Serenity, then I thought of a character.  She would be Wash's sister who has come out of hiding to be the pilot of Serenity.  It was Wash's request to her if anything ever happened to him.  Like River, she was experimented on and she escaped.  She isn't psychic like River, the experiments were meant to hone her instincts for piloting and maybe a few other mysterious things.  If not, I'm pretty good about anything.

1.  Name  Kiran Washburne
2. Gender/sexual orientation Female/Bisexual
3.  Role Pilot
4.  On Serenity or another ship.  Serenity
I am working on it, I swear!

ladyelizabeth

1.  Name: Inara Serra
2. Gender/sexual orientation:  bisexual
3.  Role (e.g. ships crew, companion, etc) :  registered companion / Mal's love interest
4.  On Serenity or another ship.  If another, please describe it.  Serenity
5.  Physical description of picture.

RubySlippers

1.  Name: Miya Niska
2.  Gender/sexual orientation: Female/Lesbian (will service anyone for the right amount of money)
3.  Role: Whore/Union Officer (Affiliated to the Border Planets Prostitutes Union aka The Union)
4.  On Serenity or another ship: On Persephone
5.  Physical description or picture:
http://fantasti.cc/user/salon/images/image/682373

I figure there is an opening for an alternative to The Guild in the fringes of the Black, after all not all whores are high and mighty like the Guild and without the need for neutrality can focus on leverageing for the advantage before The Guild moves in. Naturally they are at odds with The Guild and likely have unsavory connections that no Guild Companion would bother with.

RubySlippers

I'm still interested but am likely going to make the Union less aggressive in the game since they handle clients and houses that are not at the stature of The Guild so would not exactly be competition. My character would be one of the founding members of the Union and likely one with the political savey to try and keep them off The Guild's line of fire.

Phaia

thought I would toos this in for you guys

I am considring this as well

http://abstractutopia.com/blog/uploads/TheVerseMap.gif

Phaia

Kotah

I cant really join right now, but if anyone needs help I can make a list of the original chars, and give info on the worlds and that....
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.