INTEREST CHECK: City of the Drow (3.5) [LOOKING FOR PLAYERS]

Started by Krayz, September 08, 2011, 05:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

I agree with ulthakptah about re-advertising, it could help as starting page of this thread is bit confusing.

Anyways regarding belt of battle; It's entirely up to GM. I myself would say that belt is powerful as it is and it is meant to provide only one full round action per day at best possible circumstance.

Krayz

1) The Belt of Battle is good as it is.

2) Naturally, I get a better character idea just as I'm just about finished my one xD Fortunately, a monk is much simpler than a dread necromancer... So, esclavage, how would you like a lawful evil weapons master/patron(?).

ulthakptah

Okay, here's my sheet.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329381

I don't suppose I could trouble one of the spellcasters to get vampiric touch in their spell lists?

Snake

I think I'm doing this too much but it's fun: here's another one I generated for this. But this ones absurdly powerful. even as level 13 for half-drow + Feral template.

Zaer Darkwail

Feral template is broken as saint template is :P. Anyways I could check and add vampiric touch to my sorcerer list if I can.

Snake

Well I love it. :3 It fits with chars I like to play personally.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: esclavage on September 19, 2011, 11:04:06 PM
3)  I'm beginning to layout the House of d'Szeossen with my 300,000 gp.  Currently, it looks like either a 5-story (4 above, 1 below) or 7-story (5 above, 2 below) but I would like some more idea if we are currently doing what was mentioned, which was having all the character be gathered under this singular House.  This will be helpful in determining where rooms are and whatnot.  If all the PCs will be under my banner, I think it'd be important to work on connecting our characters before we begin because that is really the critical element to a group game--interactions between characters which allows for the creation of new plots spontaneously.

But this is what I was thinking.

1st--Top Floor: Matron's living quarters.  (Perhaps something for the first daughter as well?)
2nd--Almost Top Floor: All daughters on this floor with the exception of the first daughter.  Also include Lolth worship center. And super large library since they are big on secrets and information. 
3rd--Middle Floor: The Elderboy, Weapon Master, and House Wizard live here.  Basically, all high-ranked males stay here.  Middle-ranked females would also be here.  Wizard laboratory is here.  Private dining and space/whatnot.
4th--Ground Level:  Biggest floor.  Common drow soldiers/rogues stay here.  Training centers, both for fighters and rogues are here, along with mess hall, barracks, armory and stables I think.  Some of the higher ranked bugbears/other monstrous race leaders might live here.
5th--Underground: Common bugbears, goblins, kobolds live here.  Smithy is here.  Storage rooms are here.  Prison is here.  Torture room is here.  There is both a public prison and torture room along with "secret" prisons and torture rooms lined with lead so they can't be divined.  Those are used for more high-risk targets like drow from other Houses.  I was entertaining the thought of one ofd'Szeossen's sources of income in addition to being a broker of information was regarding slave training and trading.  With drow as a commodity to the surface for those very bored and very rich nobles seeking the ultimate challenge.

Anyways, that's just a thought.  It might not work well with the soap opera story.  The other thing I wanted was nearby gemstone/precious metal veins discovered which the House of d'Szeossen will be interested in securing for further funds.  And the conflict that might be involved with that.  Like perhaps there are monsters that need to be cleared out.  Or a rival House eyeing the same thing.  Or even a dispute in-House on how should this newly acquired money be used.

It looks good to me, would you accept my char as house mage? Krayz appeared first also be caster but now he thinks to be house weaponmaster/monk :P.

Snake

I think I'll use my feral half-drow but I need to fix up his skill sets which sucks because I don't have the class skills listed anywhere on it. >.> But dammit.... T_T three chars to choose from.. wish I didn't have the drive and the time to spare to generate chars more. And I'd try a matron type but I'm no good at playing female: Id' probably play one as way too tomboyish.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 20, 2011, 01:25:07 PM
Feral template is broken as saint template is :P. Anyways I could check and add vampiric touch to my sorcerer list if I can.
I just need someone to put vampiric touch into my bloodstone weapons. Your wizard spell list would make more sense if you don't particularly think you will use it that often. Because of how wizards aren't limited by spell list and can pay money to copy spells.

Krayz

Snake

Hehe which makes them nore versatile I suppose

ulthakptah

When I was searching for a picture for my character I picked up a lot of drow pictures. I thought I would upload them to an album and save anyone else the trouble of scouring the interwebs to find them. So if you need a picture for you character or just want to look at pictures of drow here's my album.

http://s749.photobucket.com/albums/xx134/ulthakptah/Drows/?start=all

Krayz

You know what else is impressive?

Our lack of Matrons >_<

esclavage

I just finished glancing through all the sheets.  Krayz, I'm fine with your character being the weapon master for the House.  The same goes with Zaer with being the House Mage.  And the same goes with ulthakptah for his half-drow.  They all look like that they meet a variety of different facets in-party so it should be interesting.  Basically, one self-absorbed monk, even moreso than a standard drow; I think Lird'yl will be most wary about him since he seems uninterested in House squabbles, which is a red flag to any self-respecting drow that he is actually plotting your betrayal.  Beware the quiet ones, the helpful ones, and the nice ones.  ;D   One sociopathic rogue/fighter half-drow who I think Lird'yl will want to employ as a disposable cat's paw, and will expect him to agree since he is so lowly-ranked, and the drow house wizard with more spells than you can shake a stick at who it seems is implied to be still establishing his power base.  If you wanted to, Zaer, we could have it so that Elvas'thrae is fresh from another House, having earned the right of being this House's mage because he disposed of the previous one.

As for Snake, I guess I will wait to see what he is planning on picking out of the three characters he's made, but it should be fine either way.

A few more questions/suggestions.

1) How is HP being handled?  I'm assuming that we just use invisiblecastle or the Elliquiy dice roll to roll and see what we get?   :-)  Or did you have another method in mind, Krayz?

2) If we want to attract more attention, it might be wise just to start up a whole other new thread with summary information for the system and proposed characters already.  It'll make it easier for potentially interested people to read and decide if they want to get involved.  Right now, they'd have to wade through pages and pages to get an idea of how the game was forming.

3) Regarding Flaws, I think you're correct Krayz.  There aren't any good official Flaws from Unearthed Arcana that I'd be willing to take without some attempt at rule-gaming.  The only reason I brought it up was because I was trying to think of a way to get Rapid Reload for a feat in light of the fact that to become an Eye of Lolth I have to burn two feat slots: Dodge and Cautious Attack and honestly, if I really wanted a full BAB with a ranged weapon I could just go with a shortbow, but I figured the hand crossbow felt more in-line with the Underdark feel.  Though if I went that route I'd want Precise Shot so I can't win them all.   :-)   But for right now, I think I'm happy.

4)  Dread fang is still being laid out though he's more or less done.  I'll just tack him into my sheet when I get a free moment.  As for the House layout, does anyone know of a good map creation/editor program?  I've got a rough idea of what I'd like but I need calculate costs and then begin to lay it out.  And Krayz, is there any particular thing I need to know in determining costs?

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

ulthakptah

The drow, aren't they all really just sociopathic cat paws? The societal beliefs of the drow is only the strong will survive. And for relationships there are only  the people who are above you that are rivals, the people below you who are tools, and on a very rare occasion a drow will fall in love. They aren't good people. They worship a giant spider demon for crying out loud. Anyway yeah I'm a cat paw and so is everyone else in your house. We are all just tools of yours to use and throw away when broken. Hopefully I'm hard to break.

So does this mean my way into the house is adoption, or hired help? I think it's only fair you get to pick seeing as it's your house.

3) I saw you got a quick loading crossbow and I thought that was your solution to the free loading crossbow thing. I know it was mine, but that was more so I could duel wield two and make use of two weapon fighting. It's not effective compared to my kukris. It's more of just an awesome thing to do. I mean duel wielding repeating hand crossbows? How is that not awesome?

Zaer Darkwail

I handled my char's HP so that it shifted between 4 and 3. Meaning between 100% and then 75%. So fighter's case it would be shift between 10 and 7.5 (and so fighter with 4 levels would get 10 from first level, 7.5 second level, 10 from third and 7.5 from fourth. Total result; 35 HP). That should bring somewhat good HP for everyone.

Also agree on notion of 2; a new thread where existing players post up their chars.

4) I do not know map programs but I do know there are some free ones online or those with low cost. Look for 'online DnD mapmaker' with google and you should find some.

Anyways I am fine with your idea esclavage that my char just blasted away your original house mage over mage dispute (a rare spell scroll from market). The mage shot disintegrate spell on me and I used ring of spell battle hit it on near by support pillar which caused a roof collapse on the mage and he died on crushing death by his own spell :P.

However hearing about loss of your house mage (who was perhaps first or second son) you then offered me join your house as a house mage despite I was mostly self-taught sorcerer who had studied in apprenticeship into wizardry craft. So I was kind of 'adopted' into house. My char's ambition is to become local male leader of all arcanists in area, so if there is no magic academy yet in the city he then develops one (him being the principle of the said place). If there is one, he seeks replace principle and so achieve highest rank what male drow can have in matriarch society; being a city's archmage.

ulthakptah

I just realized something hilarious about that cat's paw thing. I actually burned my hand taking chestnuts out of an oven for someone last Sunday.

esclavage

ulthakptah, you are correct.  All drow treat one another like disposable tools.  What I was referencing was the fact that my Matron seems interested in you beyond your station, especially as a half-drow.  So your character would have to put up with fear and jealousy from the other common drow who realize he has backing.  At the same time, your character would be super paranoid because he'd be the biggest fool in the Underdark to actually rely on my Matron's protection and favor.

Zaer, the idea sounds fine with me.  My Matron would have likely killed him anyways for being stupid and openly assaulting your drow.  As for the mage power structure of the city, I will leave that up to Krayz.  Though I know in House, he will be the most prominent mage since d'Szeossen is not too focused on the arcane.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

Snake

I'm going ot use my feral half drow, though he is almost built to be totally unstoppable by someone of his own level. *laugh*  he does absolutely disgusting amounts of damage and can take damage like a pro. (though his conditioning leaves him vulnerable to anything requiring  will save if he can't ready an action to use his spellfire ability to absorb it.

Krayz

@Snake: You know, boasting that sort of thing is the sort of thing that gets that character denied in a game where PvP is considered standard politics... 'Course, I'm the only one who doesn't have an ability that requires a Will save xD

@esclavage: I love the irony of the one drow you can trust not to plot against you being the one you're the most suspicious of. By the way, do you want my guy to be one of your sons, or adopted into the House?

And I'll set up another thread very soon. I just want one more Matron, at least, so we can get a Montague-Capulet style feud going.

@Zaer: There will likely be a local magical academy, where Matrons send their sons to study the arcane. This also serves as a guild of sorts that all mages in the city are at least associated with. It would be headed by an Archmage.

And that seems like a good way to handle HP.

On a side note, I'm tweaking my character a little; I decided that I wanted him to have a little higher Constitution, so I fiddled with that. I also am not sure about his feats and monk bonus feats, so I'm still playing around with those (I may used the fighting style variant from Unearthed Arcana, lol)

Snake

Haha. But I've exchanged any real ability with magic (the drow's proclaimed "strength of people") for extremely high physical ability. Spellfire just works because it's consitution based (which is why I grabbed a +6 amulet of health the wealth available. cost me almost 1/3 of the total gp allotment for stuff!)

ulthakptah

I wouldn't worry to much about Snake, Krayz. I haven't seen a sheet for his feral half drow, but there's a good chance it's all talk. I know that feral is a very powerful template with bonuses to strength, fast healing, claw attacks, pounce, and rend, but I highly doubt he is unstoppable.

Anyway I have a problem with the health in that I don't like getting fractions of a health point at levels. How about we round up so d6's get 5, d8's get 6, d10's get 8, and d12's gets 9 for their 75%?

Krayz