What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Euron Greyjoy

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on September 27, 2015, 11:07:54 AM
The real news here is that the municipality was stupid enough to terminate the contract based on grounds of "need for personal use" (Eigenbedarf) - a right usually reserved for natural persons. The time they gave the woman to move out (until May next year) should be about the same they might have had to afford her if they had just regularly terminated the contract. While renters in Germany enjoy a high level of protection against termination of their rental contracts, terminationg a contract with six months notice might very well have been perfectly legal. Using "Eigenbedarf" as grounds for the contract termination was a rather stupid move, I'd say.

That aside, I don't see why it's called an eviction in this article, except maybe that it makes for a better headline. From what I can gather the rent contract has been terminated, effective 6 months from now. It's not like that woman is being dragged from her home as we speak. But I guess "woman is evicted to make room for refugees" makes for a better headline than "rent contract terminated so other people can move into a flat in six months".
At least from what I gathered, they terminated her contract so they give housing to migrants. I know Europe is having a hard time housing all these migrants, but I wouldn't think they'd turn on their own citizens in favor of the migrants.
"The Devil is in the details, and that's where you'll find me."

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

"There is no such thing as status quo when it comes to relationships. You either come closer together or drift further apart."

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=209937.0

Valerian

He's back, and apparently crazier than ever:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/george-zimmerman-retweets-picture-trayvon-martin-corpse-article-1.2376777

The man who shot and killed Martin three years ago also gave out an apparent stranger's phone number, referring "all media inquiries" to the unsuspecting man.

Zimmerman flew off the handle days after he seemed to boast about killing the 17-year-old Martin.

Over the weekend, an admirer tweeted him a photo of Martin's body, which was used as evidence for Zimmerman's trial. The user called Zimmerman a "one man army."

Near the end of his [Twitter] outburst, which spanned one hour, Zimmerman posted a photo of himself smoking a cigar on a beach.

"As much as I love owning all you trolls I have to work... On my tan!," he wrote. "Tell 'Karma' she's worthless, God protects me. "

Last month, Zimmerman replied to a critic on Twitter by taunting, “We all know how it ended for the last moron that hit me. Give it a whirl cupcake.”

Thankfully, the photo in question is blurred out in the article.  But... wow.  Just wow.  >.<
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Blythe

.....he retweeted a picture of Trayvon Martin's corpse? *cringe*

Just....that's seriously really low.

Oniya

I would imagine that the poor guy whose number got tweeted could have a case for harassment or something...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Man, that was tasteless. And it doesn't sound like he would need any "trolls" - by putting his own face on a "Wanted for the Murder of Trayvon Martin" poster he's effectively trolling against himself.  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Cycle

This is sort of old news, but I just heard about it.

Putin's now the owner of a gay bar.  Sweet.

TheGlyphstone

The expression on the stock photo of Putin they chose is great. It's like a "really guys? really? This is so immature."

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Cycle on September 29, 2015, 11:10:35 PM
This is sort of old news, but I just heard about it.

Putin's now the owner of a gay bar.  Sweet.

haha! Nice idea. Technically it's not Putin's place - the cottage is an overseas piece of estate that Russia has a deed on, but the locals will be quite aware that it's held by "ryssarna".

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lustful Bride

Anita Sarkeesian and Zoë Quinn adress the UN about violence and such against women on the internet.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2015/09/uns-cyberharassment-report-is-really-bad.html#

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/25/u-n-womens-group-calls-for-web-censorship/

Ive experienced many things on the internet. Being called every name in the book and beyond that. I know that it can hurt and I've even experienced cyber bullying when I was younger. But I dont agree with Ms. Sarkeesian and Quinn. This all smells of censorship to me and a play for power and maybe money.

I'd find more stuff on this but I can't see anyone else reporting on it, I keep getting lots of unrelated topics as well which isn't helping @_@

Doesn't help their case that they aren't using it to fight ISIS recruitment and brainwashing of young girls, but instead want to deal with things that stink of wanting to take out any nay Sayers to their opinions. I don't know, I just don't like this. It all rings ill with me.

Cycle

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.  I think there should be more crackdown on people who employ harassment and threats over the internet, not less.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cycle on September 30, 2015, 12:39:04 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.  I think there should be more crackdown on people who employ harassment and threats over the internet, not less.

Btu the problem is (Like with SOPA's 'Piracy' and all the copycats of it) how do you define Harrassment? When does it go from Stopping people throwing words around and sending hateful messages over and over, to stopping people from speaking out against something?

Cycle

Oh sure, it isn't going to be easy, but effort can still be made.  I mean, some things are pretty obviously unacceptable:  e.g., giving out someone's home address and saying everyone should go over and rape him/her.  And some things are pretty obviously acceptable:  posting saying Trump's tax plan is lousy.  Working through the grey area in the middle is hard.  But still worth doing, and should still be doable.

Take E as an example.  It has a civility rule.  Does the civility rule literally define the words one can or cannot say?  Of course not.  But the rule still works.  This place is still generally civil.

Ephiral

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 30, 2015, 03:26:46 PM
Btu the problem is (Like with SOPA's 'Piracy' and all the copycats of it) how do you define Harrassment? When does it go from Stopping people throwing words around and sending hateful messages over and over, to stopping people from speaking out against something?
I'd say this or this would be a good start. It isn't and never has been about silencing all dissent. It's about not allowing screaming fonts of toxicity to silence others.

Ariel

Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Aislinn

While the school isn't close to me, it is in my state...and its inconceivable.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Lustful Bride

The shooter was said to have been singling out Christians, asking victims to state their faith before shooting them..... this leaves a horrible implication that perhaps this guy was in touch with ISIS or some other radical group online....

kylie

There are lots of varied little radical groups I suppose, although I don't know of reasons to rule out more individual operative with an extreme point of view yet either...

But to the point:  Hasn't Isis killed lots of Muslims, too?   

Edit:  At least there's a lot of Sunni v. Sunni warfare in Syria, apparently. 

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 02, 2015, 07:46:19 AM
The shooter was said to have been singling out Christians, asking victims to state their faith before shooting them..... this leaves a horrible implication that perhaps this guy was in touch with ISIS or some other radical group online....
According to something I read on CNN he also first shot the teacher in that classroom, stating he had been waiting for years to do that. If that's true we are (most likely) looking at motives more complex than some online radicalisation.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

kylie

Life was so much easier when I was young... 

We could just wonder when the Russians would parachute in, and shoot all the worst teachers for us.  ::) 

Now it's all first thought off the bat:  "Oh no, Islamic radicalization, maybe, maybe, couldn't it be all about them and not us?" 

And is anyone even afraid of the moody Goth kids, anymore?  (Or did they get have to get more realistic about something in trade?) 

kylie

Well, if you want a group to speak of the shooter, Mercer having interest in:  Now they are talking about European inspirations (a few web grabs on the site):

In apparent signs of anti-British feeling, killer Chris Harper-Mercer had posted pictures of articles about the IRA.
His email address was ironcross45[at]gmail.com, suggesting he also had sympathies with Nazi Germany.

Guess the Middle East isn't the only place still busy with religious purism among its fringes.  The fringes just have small armies with territory there, these days.  But it doesn't take much base in territory,nor any specific religious background, to make a shooting.

He might have even been more generally anti-religious?

In a dating profile apparently belonging to Mercer on the Spiritual Passions website under the username Ironcross45, the non-smoking teetotaller described himself as "shy at first, but warm up quickly, better in small groups".
He listed hobbies including the internet and "killing zombies", described his politics as "conservative, republican" and said he was spiritual but not religious.

Let's see, another report...  Into Nazi uniforms?  Ah, yes:

On [his MySpace] profile he stated that he "doesn't like organised religion".

So maybe none, would have been a better survival answer when he asked about religion?  Just a guess.  But much of rural Oregon is pretty Christian right, as I understand it.

And then there's just fame, or a sort of blaze of glory ideal:

He also appears to have written a blog post under the username hosted on a torrent site about Vester Lee Flanagan, who shot dead journalists Alison Parker and Adam Ward.

He chillingly wrote - 'seems the more people you kill, the more you're in the limelight'.

The post says: "I have noticed that so many people like him are all alone and unknown, yet when they spill a little blood, the whole world knows who they are.

To which people usually say, turn off the news let's not talk about them so much and they won't try it so often...  But that ignores the questions of where they might have been located in the overall society (and its sometimes strange historical imagination of various military and murder events, as well as of religion all over the place!) to begin with.

kylie

Well, NBC reports [I believe this was some time after the initial teacher killing anyway] Mercer was said to be killing self-reported Christians and wounding everyone else he asked.

I wonder if it was Christianity per se of any interest, or that was just the obvious regional organization as such that occupied front and center on his radar.

Cassandra LeMay

Right now we are just getting snippets of news and 'information' piece by piece. Speculating about his motives based on what little we know strikes me as premature.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

kylie

Possibly, but based on what is there so far?  I'd be pretty surprised if it turns out to be Isis after all.  It's more the knee-jerk assumption that bugs me. 

Although I suppose it's not impossible he could just have had a thing for kind of, all sorts of violent underdog outfits.

eBadger

*Shrugs* We've become a paranoid nation, trying to see foreign terrorism everywhere, the omnipresent danger only big brother can protect us from, despite how shockingly rare it actually is. 

Considering there's been, what, one serious attack on American soil by a foreign-born terrorist since the towers? ...assuming it's not ISIS until we learn otherwise seems like a safe bet. 

Oniya

Last night, I saw an article that traced him to some 4chan message boards and a YouTube channel where he was ranting about being 'genetically inferior', but I didn't have time to watch a 21-minute rambling manifesto, and now I can't find the article any more.

I'm thinking this is closer to 'I want the world to notice me' and not anything like 'Praise IS and pass the ammunition.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17