News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

D&D Campaign Recruitment: In One Day.

Started by Jeramiahh, June 05, 2007, 02:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

Y’know, I probably don’t need to be making another game, but this idea bit me, hard, the other night at work… and it said it needed to be played, now.

The city of Maj’Dul, Jewel of the Desert, has been a center of travelers, adventurers and fortune seekers for decades. Surrounded by the ruins of an ancient civilization, people arrive nearly daily to brave the dangers of the dunes and the tombs beneath them in search of fabulous wealth and glory.

However, something strange happened this… morning. The sun rose, and then… it stopped. Just above the horizon, at 6:43 AM. It’s just hanging there, frozen. All of the clocks stopped, too, magical and mechanical. They seem to be in perfect working order… they just don’t move on their own. Everything works just fine… but people aren’t arriving in the city. And anyone who leaves doesn’t come back.

It’s been like this for nearly three weeks, as far as we can tell. The city’s nearly in a panic. Food’s running low, though we’ve augmented our stores with magic. People are disappearing, and fights are breaking out in the street. We haven’t heard a word from the outside world.

And, in the quiet hours, you can hear something stirring, deep beneath the city, a low thud, like a massive creature’s heavy breathing.

I’m looking for players for my campaign-in-planning, “In One Day.” Using the D&D v3.5 system, players will start at 4th level. I’m still debating as to what books I’ll allow, mostly because I’m still trying to read through all of the new ones I picked up. For now, I’ll probably stick to the books closest to the Core; the Complete series, Spell Compendium, PHB/DMG 2, as well as the basic core, although I’d be willing to consider a few others.

Players will be assumed to already be in the city, though already being acquainted before it opens isn’t a requirement. I’m looking to keep this low-mid level, so it’ll probably end around 8th level, if not sooner. It’ll be fairly dungeon-crawl, though with opportunities for social encounters. The entire campaign will take place in the city and the dungeon beneath it, so I’d recommend against anything mounted, or requiring wide, open, outdoors to be effective.

Sexiness level will be mostly player driven; this game’s partly testing grounds for my regular group, though that doesn’t mean I won’t give it my full attention here, but it does mean there’ll be little or no plot-related sexing.

I’m looking to keep the group small, at most 5 players, preferably 3-4. I’d like to say I’ll post frequently, but the odds are, I’ll post twice a day, at most; mid-morning, perhaps, and definitely late at night. I am looking for players who can post at least daily (That’s not too much to ask, right?), in order to keep the plot moving.

If anyone has questions or comments, I’ll be glad to answer them, or you can send me a PM, I’m always on top of those.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Muse

*Raises hand.*  May I play? 

It's a desert setting, doesn't it happen to be arabian night's esque? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Far eyes

Id be interested.

I am known to build strange and odd concepts andf think I would be the right person to see the unseen way trough things [As I sometimes do]

I would probably play a spell Caster [Wizard] and would be interested in using a build I have bin planning for some time. A pure illusionist [HELL no not a gnome]

I have a firm grip on the mechanics of the game. I guess that’s all
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Muse

Amen to that! 

Hehehe!  I think i'll play Sweetwater again!  She's a half giant Fighter/Psion traveling the world to work on her cook book.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Far eyes

Quote from: Muse on June 05, 2007, 07:33:08 AM
Sweetwater again!  She's a half giant Fighter/Psion traveling the world to work on her cook book.  :) 

I think I might have bin in a game with you on RPOL, it was a short lived game in the Adult section. I played a red haired bard singer. With a rather astronomical APP score.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Muse

*grins*  Ah, yes, too bad that one didn't take off. 

Far eyes

Ya the PC who asked for the game disappeared and the DM folded.

But it could have bin a weary cool game if it had went on. To bad it didn’t.

I plan on doing something equally entertaining in this game to :)

if the mechanical concept of mine is acceptable that is

A/A

Ryvaken

In creativity, meaning.

indarkestknight

Funny. I'd think it'd scream Sandstorm...

Jeramiahh

Ok... let's see what we've got, here.

QuoteOkay.D&D. Desert. This screams for a particular set of books. Expanded Psionics Handbook and Complete Psionic.

I've been considering Psionics for this game... unfortunately, I am far from versed in them. I've got the books, I've just... set them off to the side, for later. I'd prefer to angle away from them, but if you've got your heart set on it, I can definitely take a few hours for a crash course.

QuoteIt's a desert setting, doesn't it happen to be arabian night's esque?

I did intend to have a little of an Arabian theme, mixed with some of the ideas behind Eberron... basically, a blending of the mystical and the mechanical. Not quite steampunk, but not quite true medieval or Arabian fantasy, either.

QuoteFunny. I'd think it'd scream Sandstorm...

Aye, that's what gave me some of the basic inspiration for the setting, though, really, since the players can't leave the city, Cityscape's come more in handy.

So, going down the list, it looks like the first impressions are Muse wants to play a Fighter/Psion, Far Eyes, an Illusionist, and Ryvaken a Spellthief. If you're still interested, PM me, or post, a list of the books you plan on using, and what from each, if you know, and start designing a tentative character sheet.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Far eyes

PHB2
PHB [Just small bits I promise :P ]
Complete Mage
Complete Arcane
Find Folio [For my familiar if you allow it]
Spell Compendium
Magic items Compendium
Unearthed Arcane  [Flaws, I need Flaws]
--

If you don’t have one of the books I can write it up. After you OK the books I will build the character and see what you think

A/A

Jeramiahh

The only of those books I don't currently own is the MIC... because it's on loan to a friend for the summer. I am familiar with it, probably more than any of the other books, so I'll definitely approve it. As far as the flaws, I'm going to ask you to limit them to two... you can take more, but they stop providing benefits after two. Not that I don't like them, I've just seen what people can do with enough bonuses in the right places. It gets scary.

Far eyes

Two is more then enough.

Yes indeed with the right ones you don’t even feel the hurt most of the time

You should be getting my sheet in a couple of hovers

A/A

Ryvaken

Queries about creation.
Rolled or statbuy, and what breed of beast (4d6, 5d6, 28 point, 35 point, that sort of thing)
Starting assets
Limits on most expensive item if any
In creativity, meaning.

Far eyes

I used 36pb I hope that’s ok.
My most expensive item per step is 2000gp

A/A

Ryvaken

I'm still doing basic research >.> <.<
In creativity, meaning.

Far eyes

My character is mechanically finished I just need description and some background. I don’t think it will be too flashy though.  ;)

A/A

Ryvaken

I think I'm about done. I still need to record her second skill trick -- it'll let her handle traps without using tools -- and figure out equipment. A light Simple melee weapon...I think you lot can call me Dagger Gal.
In creativity, meaning.

Far eyes

Hey lvl 4 clerics are on the verge of sweetness, and in another game I play a Healer [The class out of Miniature Handbook] its quiet fun.

And I might Add I am not the Fire and Lightning kind of wizard the party can still weary much use a blaster

A/A

Ryvaken

I've talked Josh into playing, oh, three healer types over the years in this kind of situation. I'd say he has cause to want something different for a change.

I'm going in with UMD and a wand of CLW at the very least, personally. I'll be fairly front-line anyway.
In creativity, meaning.

Far eyes

*Shrug* I play Arcane casters 70% of the time, because I enjoy it to each his own I say

I should add the build for this character is such that he could probably stand without a healer if it doesn’t get to heary. And undead kind of suck for him but we will se

A/A

Jeramiahh

QuoteQueries about creation.
Rolled or statbuy, and what breed of beast (4d6, 5d6, 28 point, 35 point, that sort of thing)
Starting assets
Limits on most expensive item if any

Knew I was forgetting something! Since you've already used it, 36 is a good point buy. No rolling stats, for the love of my sanity... not after my last game, where everyone just handed their dice to one player, since he was either blessed by the dice gods, or cheating (I'm still not sure)... not a single roll was less than 14, and he had more 18's than should be legal, even though I watched him make every single roll. Point buy is perfectly balanced and equal for everyone.

Starting cash is standard wealth for 4th level, which is 5,400 gp. I won't put an upper limit on max item price, simply because if you want to blow 5000 on a single item, be my guest. Someone else will be very glad to take it when you die, due to lack of other items. >_>

Also, one thing I came up with, today, to reflect the nature of the world setting; a new skill, Use Mechanical Device. Class skill for rogues, rangers, bards, and their ilk, this skill allows the use of mechanical items found throughout. Also, if a magic user (arcane or divine) attempts to use a mechanical device, they will suffer a failure chance equal to 5% times the level of their highest known spell. A single rank (2 skill points) in this skill negates that penalty entirely. There are some synergies that can apply, but I won't list them, here.

Firearms are also available; Simple proficiency is all it takes to wield them, but they are single-shot, and have long reload times (3 full rounds for a pistol, 1 minute for a rifle or shotgun) Base damage is 1d8 for a pistol, 1d10 for a rifle, and a 1d10, 10' cone for the shotgun. They are also, if if hadn't guessed, mechanical devices, subject to the failure % listed above.

I intend this to be difficult; not overwhelming, to the point that fleeing is the only solution, but challenging enough that I almost hope to inflict a casualty or two, during the game. I'll probably end up going soft, anyway, though... I have that nasty habit.

I think that covers it... I should have written this earlier. My apologies, though I think that covers the essentials, now.

Ryvaken

Uh. Those guns are useless. Crossbow better.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Whoops, you're right... they do suck. I forgot the most important part; they pierce any non-magical armor and shield bonuses.

Far eyes

Description Time

Disailina Valiniona is undoubtedly and Elf, with weary distinct fey features and an air of supremacy about her self. Her pale gray white skin is decorated with intricate tattoos in a cacophony of shapes, runes and other designs. She has long white hair that reaches down all the way to her knees and is woven into intricate braids 7 on the number all of different lengths and waving technique.

There is something weary strange about her presence alone their seams to be always some amount of shadows clinging to her as if it were a live thing that would crawl around her. Her eyes are full black orbs with no visible iris or any other part. The only thing that lifts of from her shadowy black, white and gray appearance are her radiant red lips.

She wares a combination of black Silk and Leather, a leather corset with long fingerless leather gloves. High healed leather boots that reach all the way up to her crotch. She wares silk scarf’s and a long high cur silk skirt all held in the same colors of gray and black. The silk gray the leather Black

That’s a little bit strong although if their price reflects it its cool. And not like I care ..

Say the ammo is not magical right?

It seams logical to assume this as you are giving spell users disadvantages at using them. So they are probably not magical them selfs.

I am sort of assuming an Arcanum sort of mechanics hear

A/A