News:

Main Menu

Zombie-Proof House

Started by TheGlyphstone, May 03, 2011, 01:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Hardway01

As long as you had plenty of food you could hold out in that joint forever. A mini gun and a few flame throwers would be nice to.

Callie Del Noire

Nah.. just get a basement full of MREs, and a nice little .22 rifle to snipe heads with. Reading Max Brooks' books tells you you don't need a loud hail of bullets to draw the zombies to you. Simple install speakers at spots in the estate, draw them into those spots and snipe away from a distance so that you pick off your current horde without drawing more.

And invest in solar cells, and a HUGE gas tank for a generator.

Oniya

The little Oni and I are already working on this.  We have a fine crop of five Sunflowers, several Bean-Shooters (she won't eat peas), some still-tiny (basil) Umbrella Leafs, and a couple of Pumpkins.  The (cantaloupe) Melon-Pults are proving a bit cantankerous, though.

With the way our neighbor's sump pump empties onto our side yard, we are considering a pool, in which case Cat-tails might be a possibility.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Martee

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 03, 2011, 01:27:07 PM
Found this linked from another forum.

http://all-that-is-interesting.com/post/4956385434/the-first-zombie-proof-house

Wish I could afford one.

Great concept, with the glaring exception of that large rolling metal gate along one side.  A small horde might not get through that, but when do zombies ever do anything halfway?

Status as of March 5th: In like a lion - only one response outstanding

ISwamTheStyx

the house wyrd posted looks like it's damn near werewolf proof.. it's insane

Wyrd

Wyrd: 1

Supernatural Monsters: 0
Ragtime Dandies!

TheGlyphstone

What happens when the zombie corpses have piled themselves high up enough around the base to be an unliving ramp?

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Wyrd

Then I get up and walk away

Ragtime Dandies!

TheGlyphstone

Wyrd

Don't worry, you can use my spare Zombie fortress.

Ragtime Dandies!

Avaren

Awesome house. Definitely looks like it would give the Zs a run for their meaties.
Wyrd, don't know about that last 'house' you posted... once they start collecting beneath that the ladders and poles will just get forced over then you're left with fall damage and getting out alive. You'd become a little trailer-can of yummies and all they need is a can-opener.

O/Os / The Archive My 1x1 Search

RubySlippers

Quote from: Wyrd on May 03, 2011, 03:49:13 PM
Don't worry, you can use my spare Zombie fortress.

What if they get smarter or have a leader caste like in Land of the Dead and they get axes and chainsaws then shelter number two is going down and the first one would be at some risk. The best move is get to the nearest major military base if there is any risk of an outbreak reaching Stage III armed servicemen and women, a base that can be supplied from air and preferably the sea and might have political leaders at would be best. From there one can grab a rifle and form a militia to fight back.

TheGlyphstone

But that will mean the zombies have guns!

Jag

We all know a zombie outbreak would end up like the movie Fido and their flesh eating urges can be satisfied by smoking in the end. No need for Zombie-Proof houses, we just need zombie proof towns and learn to domesticate them. *nods*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

N2O

From the looks of this discussion I'm assuming no one has read Max Brooks "The Zombie Survival Guide" because its not just about having a zombie proof house and commercially domesticating zombies, its about SURVIVAL! Being on the run! And combat!!!

TheGlyphstone

Many people have read the Zombie Survival Guide. It's an entertaining read, but not something to take as gospel (particularly since the author outright admitted that he gave the military forces a gigantic Idiot Ball to ensure the zombies wiped them out, because otherwise it wouldn't be a goods story).

Oniya

Besides - even the CDC has done the survive-by-avoidance thing.  Zombie-proofing the house and learning to live with our vitality-deprived neighbors takes a whole new direction on it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

N2O

Duly noted TheGlyphstone & Oniya

sigh :-\ I'll go with the boat over the house

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, the boat is awesome. Definitely superior.

Oniya

I laughed at the idea of 'zombie diesel'.

Harley

I think this is an awesome idea.   I'd rather be safe from zombies than live in a really pretty place honestly.