Not sure if this is related to the upgrading

Started by Oniya, December 28, 2010, 10:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I've noticed that floatright and floatleft seems to be not working in signatures.  (It's not something I use in my own, but I'm seeing the coding in other people's sigs, instead of the appropriate alignment.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

Its not working in forum posts either. I'm assuming its due to this mornings upgrade. I sent a PM to Veks several hours ago.

Oreo

Yes, he is aware of the malfunction. I think the same thing happened in the previous upgrade. I am sure it will be rectified eventually :D

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

It was this or listen to the complaints of the lack of button images >_> More broke than I expected and was tired : /

Mithlomwen

*hugs* 

I had no worries that you would get it all worked out eventually.  ;D  If it means having to deal with a few broken things for a time so that we have more awesome things....I'm all for it man! 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Oreo

Quote from: Mithlomwen on December 28, 2010, 12:24:02 PM
*hugs* 

I had no worries that you would get it all worked out eventually.  ;D  If it means having to deal with a few broken things for a time so that we have more awesome things....I'm all for it man! 

+ 1

*hugs* Take your time, Veks.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Haibane

Oniya

'Twas more of a 'bug report' than a complaint.  You do awesome work, Veks.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Haibane

Correct. My PM this morning was a bug report, though I guessed it was linked to todays changes.

Haibane

I'm currently seeing the floatleft and floatright buttons like this. I can tell that's not right but wanted you to know Veks.

Just as a bit of feedback on the layout I think the HIDE/spoiler button might be better on the far left of the second line and the embed image button that's over there might be better on the first line to the right of 'JUSTIFY' and to the left of the two FLOAT buttons.

Vekseid

Hopefully this will suit a bit better. I do want to keep modifications to core code to a minimum. I can stick new buttons at the beginning or 'end' (preferably), roughly, of a line, or on a new line, but moving buttons around means editing the code, and more work on the next upgrade. Or rather, it ends up being something I forget and have to hunt down and figure out what.

Why are the bbcode buttons in core code? I've never gotten a straight answer to that. : /

Haibane

Ah, okay, I didn't know moving buttons around could get messy with the code. What you've done now is cool, thanks and the float buttons are showing up correctly now too.

Captain Maltese

I hope this is the appropriate thread for a minor comment on the changes. The single most used link on the Elli page for me is "Show new replies to your posts" and it has now been moved to above the search field - INSIDE the blue line. I am learning where it is but effectively I am clicking more or less blindly on it every time since my eyes need to focus hard to read it. I assume that this is a pure error since the "Show unread posts since last visit" is above the same blue line.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Vekseid

Hate SMF, I do.

I've put it back where the break originally was... I'll need to figure out a way to cover it up somehow. The layout is atrocious.

Haibane

Would you like a small layout change suggestion Veks or is that a touchy subject right now? This is covering the item Capt Maltese just commented on, not some other random area of concern.

Vekseid

My ability to modify the layout is rather limited. That's the problem.

Haibane

Ah, okay. I am sure my 'simple' layout suggestion might be downright difficult then!

I was looking at the pale blue-grey bar that is half the screen width on the right of the page; below the search field where some rules/guidelines links usually sit. If a second bar of the same colour and dimensions could be put on the left side with a vertical strip of background colour between them as a separator, then "Show unread posts since last visit." and "Show new replies to your posts." could go on this second, left hand bar, left justified one above the other with the search field to their right, so that this block of buttons/fields balances the info/links on the right.

You could then close the gap up between these two bars and the new affiliates banner to about 1 line and save some space/tighten the whole page heading up.

But if this cunning plan is too hard to implement then feel free to have a gentle chuckle at my input and go do something more profitable with your time!

jouzinka

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Vekseid

phpBB simply isn't an option for a forum this active without disabling search. On the back end Mark and I have put a lot of effort into optimizing SMF, so it's fast and scales in ways that other forum software simply doesn't.

Drupal would be fine if there was a reasonable access control system. But it'd be a rather drastic change for most people.

Marguerite

Right now, I had trouble with loading the pages where it would take ages for things to load properly and sometimes would show broken links or blank spaces. I had to keep reloading the pages in order to get them to work.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You