Ask an Atheist--An Opportunity for Engagement

Started by HannibalBarca, January 22, 2017, 02:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

Eh, he was Greek. They all had male lovers back then! It was the hip thing to do.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

TheGlyphstone

Isn't taking potshots at Fox News pretty low-hanging fruit, on reflection? Sort of like making fun of conspiracy theorists?

Vergil Tanner

It may be, but the low hanging fruit is oft the juiciest. :P
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2018, 10:25:37 AM
Isn't taking potshots at Fox News pretty low-hanging fruit, on reflection? Sort of like making fun of conspiracy theorists?

If you can get people's first thought of them to be that they are the punchline to a joke, you remove their power.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Regina Minx

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 21, 2018, 10:25:37 AM

The alternative would be either to do an in-depth, factual rebuttal. And, not to put too fine a point on it, but I have other shit to do. It's like a Gish Gallop in written form. There's so much wrong in what the author wrote that I would be writing thousands of words to rebut him point by point. I'd have to track down his stupid sources and see if they really said what he claims they're saying. Even with that Hitler quote it looks like it's a complicated subject that serious academic historians dispute. Then I would have to write out a defense of secular ethics, then I'd have to pick apart his arguments ad populum and call him out on Godwinning. And to re-iterate:

https://youtu.be/tIQCnEx5fHI?t=80