What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capone

I'm actually really, REALLY curious about this South Park RPG they're working on. That could be awesome or absolutely terrible.

I really want to pop New Vegas in my Xbox, or Vanquish, but I've really just been playing Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS. They are just fun and simple games. It just works for me right now.

Hemingway

The Force Unleashed 2 is on Steam for cheap today. I think I'll get it, despite the poor reviews. If nothing else, it'll get my psyched about the Old Republic.

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 11, 2011, 04:44:56 PM
I don't play many computer games, and I feel picky about my Western RPG's. So far, I might be most partial to Alpha Protocol and thus Obsidian, and is also the main reason I actually bothered purchasing Fallout New Vegas despite my hatred for all things Bethesda.

I think, for this year, I might have to put my vote towards Catherine. The game had everything. Solid gameplay, great story, and innovation. It was literally like nothing I've ever played before, and it was a Hell of a lot of fun to boot. Any game with that much creativity gets my vote for best in show.
See, I thought Cathrine was absolutely terrible. Possibly one of the worst games I've played this year. I gave my ran earlier in this thread, but mostly.

I was let down by the supposedly mature handling of relationships that the game was lauded for. The guy acted like he was fourteen consistently. Don't get me wrong, I get that it's got a supernatural element and all that, but it shoe-horned me into the cheating part and then asked me how I would act in that situation. Thanks for divorcing me from the story again, Japan. I wouldn't cheat to begin with. So I played it like a jerk-ass so I could get with the hot blond who was sending me pseudo-hentai pics as opposed to the stone-cold battle axe, because all relationships come down to such extremes.

Next, I thought the game play was not only oddball, but really forced. It was like they made an interactive anime and realized that they had to put an actual game in here so the dream sequences play out more like mini-games between story segments. Add in a freaking life system that makes no sense. Seriously, who needs a life system especially since you can break it and grab up 99 real fast. So basically the game breaks down into complete trial and error extremely fast.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Capone

I agree, the story wasn't perfect, but neither is how romance is handled in the Bioware games, and that's about the best equivalent I can come up with (next step after that is Harvest Moon, which is just a simplified version of Bioware games). Even though Catherine wasn't perfect (were it me, I'd break up with both of them. Annoying blonde or pushy control-freak? Neither!). But, it tried to approach that material at all, and I'm willing to give it credit for that.

I enjoyed trying to save the other patrons of the bar, though. I sucked at it, and only saved one or two guys, but it was still fun. I played on Easy, but I still found the puzzle aspect to be pretty exhilarating. It managed to keep me hooked in so easily.

But, I can definitely see that the game isn't for everyone.

As long as no one tries to claim Duke Nukem Forever is King, I'm happy.

Hemingway

My god. The Force Unleashed 2 for PC is ... a frighteningly bad port. I can run the game on the highest settings with no lag, but the game just looks like a smeared mess, and the animations are so bad it's not even funny. I'm going to dunk my harddrive in bleach now.

Geeklet

I'm not entirely sure if its a bad port or if the game is just that bad.

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 12, 2011, 06:29:59 PM
I agree, the story wasn't perfect, but neither is how romance is handled in the Bioware games, and that's about the best equivalent I can come up with (next step after that is Harvest Moon, which is just a simplified version of Bioware games). Even though Catherine wasn't perfect (were it me, I'd break up with both of them. Annoying blonde or pushy control-freak? Neither!). But, it tried to approach that material at all, and I'm willing to give it credit for that.

I enjoyed trying to save the other patrons of the bar, though. I sucked at it, and only saved one or two guys, but it was still fun. I played on Easy, but I still found the puzzle aspect to be pretty exhilarating. It managed to keep me hooked in so easily.

But, I can definitely see that the game isn't for everyone.

As long as no one tries to claim Duke Nukem Forever is King, I'm happy.
I didn't even realize you could save the other patrons in the bar. I just figured it was more of the fine tradition of railroading Japanese games typically employ.

The only thing I think Bioware did tastefully was its portrayal of sex in the first one. The second one maybe better maybe worse, depends on the romance. However, it's actually romance is more a throw back to the pulpy space opera serial novels than anything. It's kind of the same way Han and the princess get together, but much more adult oriented. Is it realistic? Nah. Is it good gaming? Nope.

Also I was extremely pissed that Cathrine's morality system worked on an arbitrary system of questions that were seldom actually related to the narrative. The game was a slog for me.

EDIT: I meant yep, not nope. Long day.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Capone

Quote from: Hemingway on December 13, 2011, 09:49:42 AM
My god. The Force Unleashed 2 for PC is ... a frighteningly bad port. I can run the game on the highest settings with no lag, but the game just looks like a smeared mess, and the animations are so bad it's not even funny. I'm going to dunk my harddrive in bleach now.

I should have said something earlier. Not that I know it's a bad port, but it was a game designed for consoles, and the first game pissed me off so badly I couldn't even finish it. I can't imagine the second would really be all that much better, especially when porting a console game to PC these days.

Quote from: Inkidu on December 13, 2011, 03:55:20 PM
I didn't even realize you could save the other patrons in the bar. I just figured it was more of the fine tradition of railroading Japanese games typically employ.

The only thing I think Bioware did tastefully was its portrayal of sex in the first one. The second one maybe better maybe worse, depends on the romance. However, it's actually romance is more a throw back to the pulpy space opera serial novels than anything. It's kind of the same way Han and the princess get together, but much more adult oriented. Is it realistic? Nah. Is it good gaming? Nope.

Also I was extremely pissed that Cathrine's morality system worked on an arbitrary system of questions that were seldom actually related to the narrative. The game was a slog for me.

Yeah, those questions weren't really all that helpful in building a real morality system, but again. I look at it as potentially kick-starting some designer brains into doing it better later on.

My thing with Bioware is that, well, sex is basically a reward for saying the right things. It's very Hollywood. A relationship begins with sex. I know some may find it silly to be saying a thing like that on a board like E, though I imagine it's very understandable to most around here. In real life, you don't say the right things, have sex, and then....well, yay! You unlocked an achievement! ...*cough*

Even so, I appreciate that they included it in Dragon Age and Mass Effect at all. I wish more games would try for it, with or without the sex as a reward.

Either way, though, both games handled it better than Fable. :P

Oniya

Sometimes I see having sex as an achievement...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 13, 2011, 06:29:14 PM
I should have said something earlier. Not that I know it's a bad port, but it was a game designed for consoles, and the first game pissed me off so badly I couldn't even finish it. I can't imagine the second would really be all that much better, especially when porting a console game to PC these days.

Yeah, those questions weren't really all that helpful in building a real morality system, but again. I look at it as potentially kick-starting some designer brains into doing it better later on.

My thing with Bioware is that, well, sex is basically a reward for saying the right things. It's very Hollywood. A relationship begins with sex. I know some may find it silly to be saying a thing like that on a board like E, though I imagine it's very understandable to most around here. In real life, you don't say the right things, have sex, and then....well, yay! You unlocked an achievement! ...*cough*

Even so, I appreciate that they included it in Dragon Age and Mass Effect at all. I wish more games would try for it, with or without the sex as a reward.

Either way, though, both games handled it better than Fable. :P
True about Fable, but honestly this actually will go on to prove the point I'm about to make. How else can you do it other than "say the right things" in a video game? Even in Catherine it's chose the obvious moral answer of answerdom. I just don't see any functioning way around it. Look at Fable, it's even shallower. The only thing they can hope to really do is write up good dialogue around it. :\

Serephino

Well... I'm playing Dragon Age right now.  I think sex depends on the person you're talking to.  My relationship didn't begin with sex.  He said the right things and got me to like him enough.  I like the romance in Dragon Age, except for the fact I have to make a female character to romance Alistair....

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on December 13, 2011, 03:04:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure if its a bad port or if the game is just that bad.

I tried the demo on the Xbox a few months ago, and I distinctly remember ... it not being as bad as this.

Inkidu

I'm beginning to really loathe and despise this current generation of gaming. Not because of the game, some truly great ones have been released. It's not even the fact that you have to be online all the time. It's the fact that publishers, developers, the whole freaking industry is using the internet to beat the consumer, the rightful god-damned consumer, around the head.

Want the Terminus armor you pre-ordered for? Go ahead Xbox usuer go to www.webadress.com and follow these instructions. Well I'm on Xbox. A website is great for PC, but I redeemed the code, and have earthly idea how it's supposed to get to my Xbox. It still hasn't. It's too much, it's too complicated, and it doesn't work half the time. Damn it all!

I'm sorely tempted to buy used from now on. They can use all the DLC holdouts they want to excuse not making decent product. I can't enjoy it anyway, so why pay for it?

God, every time I want something from Xbox live I seem to go on about this. :\

Wolfy

It's not what I'm playing right now...but what I'll be playing next week. <3 Star Wars the Old republic.

Hemingway

I preordered last night. Now waiting for my early access thing.

The only reason I didn't do it earlier was I wanted a physical copy. Then I found out you're not required to run it through Origin, or even use Origin to download it.

Life is good.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on December 14, 2011, 06:14:42 PM
I preordered last night. Now waiting for my early access thing.

The only reason I didn't do it earlier was I wanted a physical copy. Then I found out you're not required to run it through Origin, or even use Origin to download it.

Life is good.

going to use origin to get the digital deluxe edition. :P

Inkidu

Quote from: Capone on December 11, 2011, 10:41:13 PM
I'm actually really, REALLY curious about this South Park RPG they're working on. That could be awesome or absolutely terrible.

I really want to pop New Vegas in my Xbox, or Vanquish, but I've really just been playing Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS. They are just fun and simple games. It just works for me right now.
South Park: RPG just released their classes. Fighter, mage, thief, cleric and... Jew.

Paraphrasing: The Jew is a high risk high reward character that's supposed to be like a monk/paladin. The lower his HP is the more damage he deals. However, the closer he is to death.

Also, Vanquish is weird. It's so B-rated its fun, but it's like they just dropped a few F-bombs in their to get in knocked up to M. It plays like a T-rated game.

Hemingway

In anticipation of The Old Republic, and because The Force Unleashed 2 is unbearably bad, I alternate between BF3 and Planescape: Torment.

Bayushi

Inkidu, what would you expect?

Shooters (First Person, at least) are terrible on consoles. It worked for Mass Effect, but was terrible for Mass Effect 2, since ME2 actually required you to aim.

Old PCs can play ME and ME2 just fine. I was playing both last year on an old Athlon64 x2 4200+. Slow and old, but it got the job done.

Quote from: Wolfy on December 14, 2011, 10:38:19 PMgoing to use origin to get the digital deluxe edition. :P
You can order the game via Origin.

You download from the SWTOR site, however. I bought the Digital Deluxe via Origin myself, and should be getting an email today with my product code (the code you get when you originally pre-order the game is the pre-order code, not the actual game product code. The product code is required to play beyond 20 December).

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Star Wars The Old Republic (Sith Warrior, Jung Ma shard (RP-PvP)).

Wolfy

I just pre-ordered...and registered my Pre-order code.

Taking bets on if I'll be allowed in today or not. :D

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on December 16, 2011, 06:32:37 AM
Inkidu, what would you expect?

Shooters (First Person, at least) are terrible on consoles. It worked for Mass Effect, but was terrible for Mass Effect 2, since ME2 actually required you to aim.

Old PCs can play ME and ME2 just fine. I was playing both last year on an old Athlon64 x2 4200+. Slow and old, but it got the job done.
You can order the game via Origin.

You download from the SWTOR site, however. I bought the Digital Deluxe via Origin myself, and should be getting an email today with my product code (the code you get when you originally pre-order the game is the pre-order code, not the actual game product code. The product code is required to play beyond 20 December).

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Star Wars The Old Republic (Sith Warrior, Jung Ma shard (RP-PvP)).
More PC malarkey. Yes, the PC has better freaking pinpoint accuracy, but unless you're playing some kind of hyper-calculating android it's honestly not that integral to beating a game. I played and beat ME 2 on insanity as a soldier and an infiltrator. I hardly ever grew frustrated. I prefer consoles because you get actual negative feedback instead of strictly visual. If you set your sensitivity right you know exactly how to twitch your muscle to get what you want. I never said the shooting in Vanquish was bad, so I don't know where you're getting that from. I said it played like B-rated science fiction flick that threw in F-bombs to garner an M rating. :\

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Bayushi

Inki, I wasn't really referring to Vanquish, which I know nothing about. The issue I have is FPS games on a console as I despise auto-aim.

I couldn't even bring myself to play Halo on the Xbox because Auto Aim made me cringe.

My big issue with a lot of games these days (particularly multi-platform titles) is that many of them are ported to PC from console, without planning a dedicated UI or control setup suited to the PC. See: Skyrim Menu system. >:(
Quote from: Oniya on December 16, 2011, 11:50:28 AMFirst screenshots of GemCraft 2 are out!  http://gameinabottle.com/blog/2011/12/gemcraft-2-first-screenshot-happy-holidays/
Ooh! <3 Gemcraft!!

Capone

I've always sucked with a keyboard and mouse because it's an unnatural position to hold one's hands at. I've done better with controllers, particularly after shutting auto-aim off in a number of them.

It's honestly a preference thing, and a lot of games don't have auto-aim by default now. Sure, plenty do, but a lot don't.

Anyway, the GBA ambassador games came out today for the 3DS. Starting a game in Metroid: Fusion again. Man did I forget how smooth the engine was. Too bad they didn't release Metroid Zero Mission instead, or even better, just took Super Metroid and fit it into the new engine.

Bayushi

Holy god the queue to get onto my shard in TOR!

Looking at a 52 minute wait.